chapter 8
329 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nadia was on the verge of ripping hair from her head. She had already dispatched Teresa to the Nadia tunnel to check up on things.

Was it the empire in the east, or was it, Count Baldwin. 

Only the fact that Taji collapsed was known but she still was treating it as someone attempting to kill him.

As she sat in her office, deep in thought Amadeus walked in.

“Any news?”

“Teresa has just left your majesty. It will take time for her to arrive, assess the situation, and get back to us.”

“Tch… I should have gone myself.”

“That joke is not funny your majesty. The palace cannot have its Queen leave... not now anyway.”

She felt a chill down her spine when he uttered those words.

“What do you mean by that?”

“I have just received word that an ambassador to the empire in the east along with the third prince will be arriving soon.”

“What!?”

“They are scheduled to arrive in two hours.”

This news was beyond shocking. Royalty doesn’t just visit other royalty. A lot of preparations happen before any meeting can happen. It usually takes months and even years if the distance between the two kingdoms is large.

To be told that a member of a royal family is one-sidedly visiting without preparations was not just odd but disrespectful.

“I am sure they intend to offer compensation. However, the real problem is the timing.” She uttered

“You think they have something to do with master Taji’s collapse?”  

“If he dies… It would make their plans easier I assume.”

“You have a point. Then, how will you respond?” He replied

“Hmm…”

It was three hours later that the palace welcomed the guest from the east. Having arrived two ago, they were made to wait as noblemen assembled into the throne room.

“His majesty Alex and ambassador Maxwell from the Hex Empire.” An announcer shouted out loud.

A blond blue-eyed hottie entered the chambers with a swagger. He brushed his hand through his hair and made a dramatic pose.

When did he dye his hair? Nadia thought

“You majesty… We are honored to have an audience with you.” Maxwell uttered with a bow

“You are most welcomed in my kingdom. Your arrival was unusual but my kingdom will still show you our hospitality.” She replied

“Ah… yes… Our arrival was indeed an unorthodox one but there is a reason for that. You see… Prince Alex here wished to see you as soon as possible and it proved futile to suppress his feelings.”

“Is that so? It seems that Prince Alex’s aids are lacking if they are unable to do that much.” She coldly replied

“I beg your forgiveness,” Maxwell answered.

“Well then… for what reason did you wish to see me?” Nadia asked Alex, who appeared to be in his own little world.

“You majesty… The queen has asked you a question.” He whispered after lightly elbowing him.

“Oh… It's my turn? Very well.” He said quietly before speaking loudly “Yo Nadia.”

The room went silent. Even if they were best of friends at the academy, Nadia was now Queen while he was still a prince. Even before Vinland achieved the success it is achieving now, a third prince of the Hex Empire would still need to show respect.

“I have come here to return the feelings you showed to me at the academy. I have come to propose a union between the Hex Empire and the Vinland kingdom.” He uttered flamboyantly  

“Such a union cannot occur as I am already married.”

“Humph… Just divorce that useless man and marry me…”

“What did you say!?” she yelled

“My apologies, your majesty… His highness misspoke.”

“Then clarify his words ambassador.” She angrily replied

“At once… It is well known that your highness married your husband almost two years ago but no child has yet to be born from the union. For the sake of the kingdom, should your majesty not be seeking to… umm…”

“Our lack of a child is a result of us focusing our efforts in rebuilding. Efforts that have been paying off… Forgive me but I heard that the Hex Empire is facing economic problems. Surely you of all people would understand the importance of doing that.” She replied before smiling at the ambassador.

“Indeed we do. That is why the empire supports this union. With the Empire's industrial might and the kingdom of Vinland’s ingenuity… We feel that we could give birth to the most powerful economic alliance in history.”

The crowd began to chatter at his declaration.

“That union is impossible.”

“What do you mean?”

“The royal family is already making plans to establish industrial zones within our kingdom.”

The crowd once again began to chatter after hearing that piece of news.

“Is that so?”

“Yes. Domains like the Khaki have already been approved by a special committee to house one industrial zone.”

“But…” Maxwell began to speak but his words were cut off by a voice in the crowd.

“Ambassador…” 

It was Count Baldwin.

He and the Queen had been at odds over the Nadia tunnel but if his domain was going to house an industrial zone, then it changed everything.

The income generated from an industrial zone outweighed anything you could earn from taxing traders passing through your domain.

When she announced that his domain had been approved, it meant one thing.

Are they are working together? Maxwell thought

Count Baldwin is the type of person who will always show loyalty to money. After all, No money no Life was the Khaki family motto.

Nadia summoned him to her office one hour ago. After seeing his surprise after hearing that Taji had collapsed she concluded that he wasn’t a suspect. She then took this opportunity to strike a deal.

“Her highness and master Taji are deeply in love. I fear that continuing this discussion is pointless.”

“You are Count Baldwin Khaki … I am sure that you understand that love and duty are two different things, and even if they weren’t… The letters that the Queen wrote to his highness show that a love connection exists between the two. ”

“Ho… Then let me ask you why the prince didn’t respond to the queen's advances until now.”

“Well… Some circumstances had arisen and he was unable to do so at that time.”

“What circumstances exactly?”

“That is… Umm…”

“Why are we having this pointless discussion?” Prince Alex shouted. “Nadia. Surely you can see what needs to be done, right? If you marry me then you can live a peaceful life as my Queen. I will handle everything. You only need to focus on having my children.”

This time, even the ambassador had an uneasy expression. Not only did he not address her as Queen, he even went as far as to suggest that he would become King.

Count Baldwin simply laughed at the boy before speaking, “That would be a problem… Seeing as the kingdom would have multiple people claiming the throne after you die.”

“What do you mean?” Nadia asked after seeing the ambassador go pale.

“It is only a rumor, your majesty. I dare not utter it in the presence of his majesty.”

“Speak. That is a royal command.” She said forcefully.

“I have heard rumors that his majesty has many children out of wedlock.”

The crowd went into a buzz after hearing that.

“That is… Umm…” Prince Alex stammered.

How did Count Baldwin get ahold of this information? No. More importantly… Would the empire have sent this guy? Nadia thought

In reality, it was just an educated guess. From the way, the prince was acting Count Baldwin already concluded that he was a womanizer.

There was no way a child or two weren’t around. He thought before asking the question.

“Ambassador Maxwell!”

“These are baseless rumors you majesty… I can explain…”

“Does the emperor know you are here?”

“I am sorry?”

“You have been speaking about unions and whatnots but I am curious… Does the empire even know what you two are doing?”

“Well… you see…”

“It seems that I have my answer…” She said before dismissing the assembly.

“Amadeus… Ensure that our guests are taken care of and send a messenger to the empire.”

“What shall the message say?”

“Come and collect your worthless son.” She replied before walking off to her office.

Amadeus sighed before mumbling to himself, “Looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me.”

While walking Nadia stopped when the mountain range south came into view.

“Taji… Please be alright,” She prayed silently

4