49 – To Defy the Gods
2.4k 18 96
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An ocean breeze. Salty air. Paired with that was the sound of crashing waves.

I had appeared in a cabin room. Judging from the view outside, I was definitely on a ship too. Probably one of those ghost ships that appeared around Paradise.

"So this is stage three, huh?"

There weren't any dangerous colors around, so it seemed like I was safe. And from the platter of bread on a table nearby, it seemed like I had some down time. No, that they wanted us to rest up for the next part.

"Hm..."

I could see an exit in the wall, but it was sealed up at the moment. Were we waiting for the other contestants, or was the last 'game' still being set up?

I didn't know, but since I had time to kill, I closed my eyes to review my status since it had been a while.

xxx

[Your Status Window]

[1. General Information]

Summoned Date: March 16th, 2017
Marking Grade: Gold
Sex/Age: Male/24
Height/Weight: 180.5cm/85.6 kg
Current Condition: Healthy
Class: Lv. 2 (Synthesis Blade)
Nationality: Republic of Korea (Area 1)
Affiliation: Carpe Diem

Alias: Jihu, Seol, Haramark's Hero, Miracle Worker, That Bastard, Incorrigible Stealer of Maidens' Hearts, Oppa, Benefactor, Monster, Shameless Flirt, and ten others.

[2. Traits]
1. Temperament:
- Analytical (Takes in all the information to consider the situation)
- Decisive (Once a decision is made, immediately acts with force)
- Unyielding (Will not stand those that oppose or belittle him. Will not bend to those that attempt to bar his path.)

2. Aptitude:
- Immeasurably Insightful (Can perceive patterns and information from the barest of traces at a level that seems impossible.)
- Iterative (Continuously refines progress from quick reflection and contemplation)

[3. Physical Level]
Strength: High (Middle)
Endurance: High (Middle)
Agility: High (Middle)
Stamina: High (Middle)
Magic: Divine Beginning
Luck: EX

Remaining Ability points: 3

[4. Abilities]
1. Innate Abilities (7)
- Future Sentiments (Grade Unknown)
- Transcendent Insight (Immeasurable)
- Energy Domination (Immeasurable)
- Energy Core (Immeasurable)
- Impending Demise (Grade Unknown)
- Synthesis (Grade Unknown)
- Chaotic Resolution (Immeasurable)

2. Job-Related Abilities (1)
Unbound Karmic Sword (Ungraded) - Cause and effect. Natural consequences. Order and Chaos, harmony and dissonance. A blade that defies all such concepts to sever and bind, unify and separate.

3. Other Abilities (2)
All As One (Immeasurable) - ???
Fate Reversal (Immeasurable) - An ability that goes beyond healing to undo a destined 'end' or 'harm.' Neither time reversal, restoration, nor recovery. This is an ability that rewrites one's set fate to grant a new future.

[5. Level of Cognition]
Domineering (One whose actions allow no compromise or defiance)/Contemplative/Karmic Rule (Malice with Malice, Goodwill with Goodwill, and karma to rule them all.)

xxx

My innate abilities had changed a bit. Energy Domination and Chaotic Resolution were new from the last time I checked. The latter seemed to be a catch all for the miscellaneous skills Maldong taught me, but the former was an evolution of Energy Manipulation.

There wasn't a description, but from how I could freely use my will to cancel and crush mana now, it was pretty clear.

Transcendent Insight was listed now too... Though it was interesting. A lot of my skills were marked as 'Immeasurable.' Did that mean that they were so powerful that they went beyond normal metrics? Or did that mean that they just couldn't be measured?

Most interesting though were my 'other' abilities. 'All As One' had to be the realm I discovered. As expected, there wasn't a description since even I didn't know how it worked just yet.

Fate Reversal though... it was interesting that it was listed as an 'other' ability. I had a feeling it was more than that blurb though, but it was pretty informative.

It was a bit interesting how my mana star cores weren't listed there though... Did the status fail to parse them? Or were they rolled into the other skills somehow?

...Well, whatever the case, anyone managing to sneak a peak at my status would definitely have a heart attack. After all, the fact that most of my abilities were 'innate' meant that I didn't have them only in Paradise.

Unlike most people, I was just as, if not stronger, on Earth. Anyone that thought otherwise... Well, I HAD been interested in seeing if I could unravel someone's soul as pure energy...

A soft click.

Hearing the noise broke me out of my reverie. I blinked and looked around to see a panel in the wall opening up.

It was the hidden entrance. Like an old ninja trap door, it suddenly swiveled around, revealing two characters on the back.

"...The Executor? No, it's the 'wolf.'"

The characters parsed as 'The Executor' in my head, but what was actually written was wolf.

In that case-

A bright white light flashed. At the same time, divine energy tried to latch onto me and overpower my will.

"Tch."

It was annoying, but I resisted the urge to completely break it.

Since they wanted me to play along and hadn't flipped the board over, I might as well be nice for a bit.

While I didn't let the divine energy sink in, I did follow its guidance.

Through the exit, down a dark corridor, then descending a staircase.

When I stepped onto the bottom, the divine energy vanished with another flash of white light. And when it did, a door appeared in front of me.

I opened it... And then information popped up in my head. Remnants from the divine energy explaining the sort of 'game' we were playing next. And that game was...

"Werewolf, huh?" I muttered.

It was different from the normal version, but the basics were like the mafia game or that one imposter game that became popular in the future.

There were some more rules, but I ignored them and looked around instead.

Nine other doors. Nine other people.

In total, ten of us... but the others were clutching their heads in agony.

The room was pretty big, the size of a party room that could fit about a hundred people.

In the center of it was a table filled to the brim with food. Delicious entrees like pasta, steak, some wine and pastries... things that weren't common in Paradise.

The implication was clear. There were ten chairs around that table, and plates to serve out the food. A proper 'Banquet' to finish things off.

As to the guests of that Banquet...

There was a man with slicked back hair. Two other men were to his left and right.

I didn't recognize them, and I didn't remember seeing them fighting after I started my plan, so they were probably part of the ones who slipped away in that first fight.

Those were the unfamiliar ones. The rest I knew.

Vlad. Rahee. Yuhui. Audrey... who had deep bags under her eyes and was pointedly trying to avoid my gaze. And then a man and a woman that I remembered fighting with in the Plaza of Sacrifice... though I didn't remember their names.

All of them were still standing around, getting their bearings.

As for me... Well, there wasn't any danger, and I wasn't about to miss out on some good food.

While everyone else was recovering, I took a seat at the head of the table and started serving myself food. A bit of pasta, some red wine... which didn't even do anything for me anymore, but tasted good.

"Hoh." A relaxed male voice called out. That man with slicked back hair. "Someone's taking it easy. Well, it's not a bad idea though." He glanced around and said, "Why not take a seat everyone? There's no point in standing around... Especially when they took the time to prepare a real banquet for us."

Saying that, the man walked to the opposite side of the table from me and sat down. The other men that had been with him sat on his left and right.

After that, the others silently took their seats.

Yuhui immediately took the seat to my right, while Rahee took the seat to my left. Vlad sat next to Yuhui while Audrey reluctantly took a seat next to Rahee. After that, the remaining two filled up the rest.

The man with slicked hair... Eh, might as well call him 'Slick Hair.' Anyway, Slick Hair poured himself a glass of wine and said, "I'm surprised. You guys were pretty late. I was about to die from boredom waiting in that cabin room."

I ignored him and scooped some food onto an empty plate. Pasta and some steak, along with some salad. After that, I handed it to Yuhui.

She tilted her head. Her face was invisible to the naked eye, but I could tell that she was happy beneath that hood of hers. Happy, but also confused.

"You worked hard, so make sure to eat properly."

Yuhui tensed... No, she froze. Completely caught off guard. But then she nodded and took the plate from me, doing a small fist pump.

Slick Hair looked towards me and frowned. "Rude. I'm trying to be cordial here. You could at least pretend to listen to me."

Rahee scoffed and cut a piece of steak. "Cordial, he says. After the mess you left us with?" She glanced at me and said, "I'm surprised you haven't cut off his head yet like the rest, Emperor."

Vlad smirked at Rahee's words, clearly amused. But with his sharp features, it looked more sinister than simple amusement.

Audrey though had a visceral reaction to Rahee's words. She paled and glanced at me, shaking in her boots.

The man and the woman who were in our group were wise enough to remain quiet though.

As for me...

I took a sip from my wine and said, "Why waste my breath on someone meant to die?"

Slick Hair froze. "P-Pardon?"

"Heh." Rahee chuckled and said, "So the game's already been decided, huh?"

"W-Wait a minute!" Slick Hair stood up and said, "W-We have to cooperate to clear this stage, don't-"

Before he could finish, Rahee moved. She drew a bloody rapier and slashed, killing Slick Hair and the two men near him in a single bound. A trio of low 'thuds' echoed as their heads hit the ground.

I sighed and took a sip from my wine before muttering, "What goes around comes around, you bastards."

Karma might have let them off, but I wouldn't. It seemed like Rahee was trying to get on my good side though since she acted for me.

A scream cut through the air. The woman I didn't know. She jumped out of her chair and quickly moved to join the man's side.

Rahee straightened and then turned to look at the duo. "Seeing as the game didn't end with those three dying..."

"H-Hold on!" The woman held up her hands and said, "We helped clear the Plaza of Sacrifice from the start!"

The man nodded and said, "Y-Yeah! We didn't sneak off like those three!"

"Save it." Rahee sheathed her rapier and said, "Just tell me the words you saw."

The two didn't answer. Instead, they shifted their gazes, as if guilty about something.

That was enough.

I slowly rose from my seat.

The two flinched and turned to look at me.

No, not just them. Everyone else as well.

I tapped my fingers on the desk and said, "I made a mistake."

"Hoh?" Rahee tilted her head and said, "And what's that, Emperor?"

I sighed and said, "A leader should be the first to arrive and the last to leave. Someone who should see things through to the end... In my haste, I forgot that. And as a result..." I narrowed my eyes and loosed my killing intent on the man and the woman.

"H-Hii!" The man squealed and staggered back, knocking over his chair. "N-No! Don't!"

The woman was a bit more reserved, but she looked just as panicked. She pointed at me and said, "W-We didn't do anything! We're innocent! Innocent!"

I didn't respond. Instead, I pulled my hand off the table and walked towards them.

Or I started to.

Before I could take a step, Yuhui grabbed my arm, staring at me.

I couldn't see her expression. Nor could I hear her voice.

But I could guess.

'Jihu. Are you sure?'

I nodded. "I'm sure. These two aren't innocent."

Yuhui sighed and then let go.

After that, I continued walking towards the pair.

"W-What are you doing!?" The woman stepped back, eyes wide. "W-We didn't kill anyo-"

I placed my hand on my sword and said, "Lying is pointless in front of my eyes."

Even without Transcendent Insight or Nine Eyes, I already knew how to tell when someone was lying. Minor facial cues. The cadence of their voice. Body posture. Where their eyes scanned the surroundings.

But more than that...

"You smell of blood."

...Was the resentment of the dead still hovering around them. Regret, despair, and rage enough to form tangible energy and cling to those two despite the victims already moving on from this world.

The man's eyes widened and then he stepped forward. Trying to be brave. Puffing up his chest a bit, he pointed to Vlad and said, "S-So what if we did?! That guy killed more people than we did back in stage one!"

In the corner of my eyes, I saw Vlad tense, turning to look at me. 

Like the others, clear resentment flowed around him. Murky shadows that I was sure I could only see because of my new ability. But I ignored him. Instead, I focused on the two in front of me. "And?"

"A-And shouldn't you be mad at him!?" The man looked at me and pleaded. "W-We didn't do anything wrong!"

Hearing that, I laughed. "Mad?" I shook my head. "It seems that you're mistaken here. I'm not mad."

The woman answered that time. "L-Like hell you aren't!"

"...Right. I suppose that was a lie. I am pretty mad. But not because you killed people. No." I narrowed my eyes and said, "I'm mad because you killed 'my' people. The ones I set out to save. The ones that I promised to shield. You see." I drew my sword. "I hate liars. And this time, you turned me into one. So..."

"H-Hold on!"

"...Apologize to them on your way down to the underworld."

I swung my blade.

A clean slash. Unlike with Rahee though, it didn't end with that. Mana surged, lightning crackling at the edge of my blade. With it, the bodies turned directly into ash, leaving nothing behind.

And then there were five.

Me. Rahee. Audrey. Vlad. And Yuhui.

...And the game wasn't over.

I turned to look at them.

Audrey flinched and quickly held up her hands. "M-Master Jihu! I did everything you said! I didn't do anything bad!"

"I know."

I shifted my gaze to Rahee.

She laughed. "What? Don't tell me you're planning to kill me off, Emperor?"

"Of course not. Just wanted to say thanks for playing along."

"Mm..." Rahee smiled. "Guess you'll just have to pay me back later."

I nodded. "Just let me know when you're in Haramark. We'll get a drink or something."

Rahee's smile widened.

After that, I turned my gaze to Vlad.

He stared back.

Silence. And then he said, "...Are you going to kill me?"

"No." I sighed. "I just thought that you're a very strong man, Vlad. Keep that up and keep your sister safe. Also, make sure to come to Haramark if you run into trouble."

His eyes widened and then Vlad let out a faint smile. "As you say, my friend."

"...Right." I glanced at Yuhui and then nodded. "I guess it's about time we ended this."

"Huh?" Rahee blinked and then said, "Wait. How are we going to do that? You're the wolf, aren't you?"

I chuckled. "So you figured it out?"

"Obviously." Rahee frowned. "Doesn't matter for me, but for the other two..."

The win conditions for the 'Wolf.' In this game, I had to kill off the 'sheep' and the 'townsmen.'

In short, I would only be able to win if I killed all but two people: the hyena, who would join my team, and the priest, who was already on my team.

But...

"Oi, you bastards. End it."

Rahee looked at me. "The hell are you on about?"

Vlad turned to look at me as well. "Friend?"

I ignored the strange looks and said, "I know you're watching. This entire place is under your control... But I'll say this now. Gods or not, I have a bottom line. If you cross it-"

[Tch.]

A powerful voice.

Rahee, Audrey, Vlad, and Yuhui fell to the ground, losing their consciousness.

At the same time, a wrathful female voice resounded in my ears. [How droll.]

An overwhelming pressure. Even so, I stood up and glared.

These bastards toying with human lives...!

[So vicious...] An 'envious' voice. [Come on~ You're really going to be like that? After all the allowances we gave you?]

A 'prideful' voice rang out. [During Stage 1, we gave you the special treatment of having a comrade accompany you. Just to be safe, we even allowed the Daughter of Luxuria to guard you. And then there were the exceptions we granted to using your powers to interfere in the battles at the end of Stage 1. Even so, you think badly of us?]

The pressure intensified and a wrathful voice called out. Ira's. [Toying with human lives? We haven't done anything like that. In fact, we wanted to help.] She snorted.

After that, several voices echoed at once.

[Focusing on dealing with the Parasites would have been difficult enough, but they were blinded by the profits in front of them, fighting and killing each other.]

[They even rose in revolt because they didn't like what they were summoned to do, attacking and enslaving Paradisians.]

[Evil... Evil...]

Ira growled. [At first, the Banquet's purpose was to help Earthlings who couldn't become High Rankers and to give the courageous, talented ones a chance to grow. But over time...] She snorted. [Humans who incite disorder are not needed in Paradise. Neither are humans who only harm others.]

[If you understand, kill him.]

'Him' referred to Vlad.

And I could understand why. In the vision I saw, there were two paths that guy could take. But...

[He could have resolved the matter with words, but he killed them all just because he was dissatisfied.]

The last man. The brother of that priest with the white haired bandana. A man who could... WOULD become a demon in the future.

[It's not like we are telling you to kill just anyone. Once you kill him, this tiring Banquet will end.] A whisper laced with 'avarice.'

I roused my energy and then raised my sword. But it wasn't at Vlad. Instead... "You should know by now, right? The type of person I am. And even then, you're trying to force me like this..."

A soaring killing intent that pierced the heavens. With it, my vision expanded.

I could see them. Seven formless beings staring at me.

But they didn't realize it. That I could stare back.

[Transcendent Insight gazes upon the gods.]

Gasps.

[This power is-!?]

[A mortal can gaze upon our forms?!]

[No! His thoughts! They're gone!]

Chaos. Disorder. But then-

[Isn't it okay?] A sensuous voice. One that rang of 'lust.' [A star as bright as he... We should hear this child out.]

I turned towards the figure and said, "Luxuria, right?"

[That's right.]

I had a vague sense that person was smiling.

[Tell me, what were your thoughts?]

"Isn't it obvious?" I stared down at the corpses lining the floor.

The ashes of the man and woman that murdered others out of greed. The bodies of the one with slicked back hair that snuck away along with the other two men.

"What is good. What is bad. None of that matters to me. Instead..." I looked up and said, "What matters is the will to change. The respect of others. The one you want me to kill... He may have murdered others. But on the same token, he cooperated with the Banquet and played by the rules. The others didn't."

[And that's all? That is your only reason?]

Ira's voice.

[Do you not care at all about the lives taken? The injustice wrought?]

"Good and evil are two sides of the same coin. A saint can sin and a demon can save a life. On that same note..." I narrowed my eyes and said, "Gods can be limited and humans can endure what the gods cannot."

Laughter. [All humans are born with their own Star of Fate. While your actions may have caused ripples, the movement of this star rea~lly doesn't change easily. No matter how disturbed, it continues to march along its predetermined path.]

Another voice. [In exchange for a life, another is taken. The future cannot be changed so easily. And while you realized the truth, what of it?]

"So you're just going to give up on him, huh?"

Ira's wrathful voice. [Killing is more certain than a half-baked attempt at a change. Just as there are Stars born with the fate of becoming an Executor, there are stars that stand in their opposition.]

"And?"

[Do you still not get it? That man is a demon born with the spirit of the Heaven-Slaughtering Star.]

[It is a vicious fate. He will kill thousands in the future at the very least. Imagine your comrades being included in that number.]

"Like I said, 'And?'" I shook my head. "You gods... You see 'possibilities' but you do not see 'reality.'" I looked at the man and said, "He may be born with the Heaven-Slaughtering Star. But what of it?" I glared at the gods and said, "Humans are creatures of choice. Decisions made. Even if he may become that person, that isn't certain until the line is crossed."

[And what happens when that line is crossed? It would be far too late!]

"Too late because you give up." I glared at them. "There's a saying on Earth... You never know unless you try. And it sounds to me like you bastards aren't even bothering to try."

[Impudent fool! You know not of what you-!]

"Don't I?" I stared into space and said, "For every action, an equal and opposite reaction. For every result, a cause. That is the way of the universe- No, existence. But... if it was just that, then you wouldn't call us here. If it was like that, then the result is already set in stone. You lost. But you haven't given up. You haven't let it go... Why?"

Silence.

I sheathed my sword and laughed. "The answer is obvious. You gods know it too. Humans... Can break causality. And the reason for that is because 'karma' and 'bonds' are stronger than mere cause and effect. A saint can become a murderer after one bad day... And a murderer can become a saint after meeting one good person."

A tense silence.

I glared at the gods, briefly wondering if I would really have to break through the divine enclosure to end the banquet.

But then laughter filled the air.

[Huu, huu! It is like they say! Courage and bravado are only a hair's width apart!] As if she found it absurdly funny, Ira's voice was rougher than before.

[Hoh... He really thinks he can do it.]

[Wow. How amazing! To say that he can change the world through bonds... How idealistic is the future he's seeing? It really makes my heart beat~]

[It is nothing to be surprised about. He has no idea what he even said.]

I clenched my fists. "...Should I cut you down then to prove it?"

Silence.

And then the pressure intensified.

[It seems that someone has become a bit too arrogant.]

[Am I?] Pissed off, I responded back in the same way that had been communicating.

[Your hidden nature as <redacted> emerges!]

[Your soul's familiarity with divine power rises!]

[Transcendent Insight is unraveling the divine mysteries before your eyes.]

"You bastard gods always looking down on humans, treating us as your tools... Even now. Like that guy on Earth did when he was dragged off to another world... I wonder if I should do the same to you?"

[You...? No, this presence. It's the same! The Martial God!]

[This... is beyond even that man? No, you... Are you even still human?!]

[There are traces of divinity... No of one of the seven virtues previously inscribed in his soul? How?!]

I saw it. The boundless wrath. The endless pride. Sins, wrapped up together to form divinity through time and karma.

Then, if I stared at the source of it all and reached out-

[Child.] Luxuria's soothing voice. [Please, be calm.] 

I closed my eyes and let out a deep breath.

[Transcendent Insight has been cancelled.]

[Your hidden nature as <redacted> returns to the depths of your soul.]

At the same time, I felt a presence come over to me, hugging me tight. Luxuria.

[The Banquet had fallen into depravity, yet this child managed to return it to a true banquet. Moreover, he has already succeeded in changing the fate of a lost soul and in changing one person's color.] A gentle hand stroked my head. [I say we give him a chance. It isn't as if we don't have time.]

[Chance?! And if he turns his blade upon us!? Already, the shackles of Fate and Destiny are falling loose upon his star!]

[He has already begun to assimilate divine power as his own! If this continues, no one can stop him!]

[He is too dangerous-]

[Stop.] A languid voice. Gula's. [We will end it here. Already, we have manifested for too long. Any more and this child... Mm. He will be able to handle it, but causality will be ruined.]

[You mean to let the Heaven-Slaughtering Star go!?]

[Forget that! A blazing sun able to conceal itself as a dead star-]

[Enough.] Gula's firm voice echoed. [There is no other choice. We are the one who gave this child the right to end the stage. He made his decision from his own will. The Banquet should have ended at that point.]

Silence.

At the same time, I could sense it. An ominous presence- No, pressure in the distance. Like a tightly coiled spring, only from existence itself.

But-

[No. Not yet.]

Ira refused.

[He has to-]

[I will not tolerate you playing with my children as you please.] Gula's voice rang cold.

[Your children? Even with this, you protect him? Even after all he has done?]

Gula's presence intensified.

[...Fine. We can go back. But since the Banquet ended, we must at least give him what he deserves.] Ira's voice echoed. [The Harmonious Wish.]

Gula fell silent.

[You.] Ira addressed me directly. [What do you wish for?]

"A wish..."

I thought about it.

There was nothing for me. After all, I had the power to stand on my own. But...

The only thing I could wish for was that. The power- No, the ability to have my friends stand on their own merits beside me. To be able to withstand the tide of Fate that was bound to come when I started making waves.

[Hoh! Is that so?] Ira's surprised voice. [How convenient. Since you already did the impossible and unlocked one of the right side's colors... Why not unlock the rest?]

Silence.

Ira's voice called out again. [I'm surprised Gula. Of all people, I thought you would object.]

[No. Unlike you, I believe in my children.]

[In that case...]

I felt a rough hand cover my eyes.

[...I will have you take responsibility should we fail, Gula.]

Gula chuckled. [Isn't that obvious?]

A swell of divine energy. Authority tampering with cause and effect. Then...

[You. Never forget the words you said today. Never forget the decision you made, the person you chose to become!]

With that-

[Innate Ability, Nine Eyes, is evolving.]

-My vision turned white.

96