17 – A Predictable Choice
3.9k 20 125
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I'll sign on this one."

I picked up the pen and pulled over Kim Hannah's contract.

"Huh?!" Shin Hansung's eyes grew wide.

"Ah!" Yun Seora blinked, clearly confused.

"C-Can you tell us the reason?" Shin Hansung leaned over to look at me.

It was rude. Disrespectful.

But Kim Hannah didn't stop him. No, she looked just as shocked. While her face was the usual poker face she wore, stony and inscrutable, I could see the astonishment in her eyes.

Shin Hansung looked at me and said, "Do you not like the terms offered?"

I shook my head. "It isn't that. Anybody rejecting those terms would be an idiot."

"Then... Why? If there's a clause you don't like, it's fine to be honest with us."

"Honest... Honest, right?" I looked at Shin Hansung and then at Yun Seora.

The image of that man's face flickered in my mind. As it did, I glanced back at the contract one more time.

Again, blue. And again, a vision.

A slender woman dressed in a white robe with long, faded-blonde hair. A delicate beauty... who stared at me with bitter eyes filled with bottomless resentment.

[Why didn't you do it?!]

She screamed at me while clutching her chest, as if trying to rip out her heart.

[I was on my knees too! I was hoping someone would come rescue me too! But you...!]

The vision shattered again.

When it did, fury welled up in my heart. Even so, I carefully hid it and asked Kim Hannah. "Hey. Miss Hannah."

"Hm?" She looked confused and slowly answered. "Yes?"

"This is out of curiosity... But if I were to one day decide to make an enemy out of all the organizations in the world, would Sinyoung support me?"

"M-Mister Jihu?" Yun Seora's shocked voice called out from beside me.

For a split second, Kim Hannah's face distorted in shock as well, but she quickly recovered it and said, "Of course." She placed her hand on the contract and said, "If you were to rise to such a level, it would be obvious to support you in that case."

A lie.

Did he realize that? Shin Hansung quickly added on, "If it's enemies you're worried about, don't be. Sinyoung isn't the number one organization without reason."

"...And if I turn my blade against Sinyoung?"

Shin Hansung froze.

Yun Seora gasped.

Even Kim Hannah was turned into a statue.

"That's... Ahem." Shin Hansung coughed and said, "If you have any grievances in particular, I am certain that the president will make accommodations. Or-" His eyes lit up in realization, flitting between me and Yun Seora. "Is it perhaps...? Hm. Well, I suppose if it is like that... It would be difficult, but I guess it would be negotiable?"

Yun Seora turned a deep crimson hue.

Kim Hannah cleared her throat. "I would not recommend it. And even if you do intend to do so... I would not be able to help you with it either." Her words were plain, but at the same time... her eyes were glimmering with curiosity. Expectation... And ambition.

"Right!" Shin Hansung nodded. "So then-"

"Understood."

Without hesitation, I grabbed Kim Hannah's contract and signed it.

Silence.

"M-Mister Jihu?" Yun Seora looked at me as if her world collapsed- No. It wasn't that. I was mistaken. Instead, she looked at me with the eyes of a maiden seeing a hero prepared to fight the whole world for her sake.

Shin Hansung was quiet, and then he let out a long sigh. "Mister Seol Jihu. I will not doubt your decision... But I have to ask. Is a single woman worth it?"

"A single woman?"

I remembered that resent-filled gaze on that woman's face... On Roe Scheherazade. Her pained cries, her desperate and unheard pleas...

"Yeah." I glanced at Kim Hannah and said, "It is."

Was it my imagination? For a split second, I saw her face redden. But as soon as I did, it faded.

"Hah. Well, Miss Yun." Shin Hansung stood up and said, "We should get going. The President is waiting for you."

"Y-Yes." She stood up, but her absent gaze was still locked onto me.

"Miss Yun?"

"Coming."

The pair walked away, though Yun Seora snuck glances at me the entire time.

After they left, Kim Hannah let out a long sigh and then stared at me. "You crazy son of a bitch."

"Hey." I looked at her and said, "Don't disrespect my mother like that."

"Pft." She shook her head and said, "If you've got the energy to have that attitude, then you're obviously fine. But..." She straightened and said, "You have to know it. I might be relatively high up in the chain, but compared to Sinyoung..." Kim Hannah paused and said, "Even if you didn't agree with their terms, someone like you-"

"It's a matter of principal, Partner Hannah." I smiled and said, "Besides. I told you, didn't I? This kindness that you showed me... I'll repay it."

"What, by declaring yourself public enemy number one?" She huffed and said, "I'm the one who's going to take all the flak for you, you know?"

"For now. But you know- Ah. I guess this will make relieve you a bit. And since we're bound by a contract now... Show Kim Hannah my Status."

[1. General Information]

Summoned Date: March 16th, 2017

Marking Grade: Gold

Sex/Age: Male/24

Height/Weight: 180.5cm/90.2 kg

Current Condition: Great

Class: Lv. 1 (Warrior)

Nationality: Republic of Korea (Area 1)

Affiliation: N/A

Alias: Jihu, Seol

[2. Traits]

1. Temperament:

- Analytical (Takes in all the information to consider the situation)

- Decisive (Once a decision is made, immediately acts with force)

2. Aptitude:

- Immeasurably Insightful (Can perceive patterns and information from the barest of traces at a level that seems impossible.)

- Iterative (Continuously refines progress from quick reflection and contemplation)

- Self-Determined (Will not yield to fate or destiny)

[3. Physical Level]

Strength: Intermediate (Middle)

Endurance: High (Low)

Agility: Intermediate (Middle)

Stamina: Intermediate (Middle)

Magic: EX

Luck: EX

Remaining Ability points: 0

[4. Abilities]

1. Innate Abilities (6)

- Future Sentiments (Grade Unknown)

- ??? (Grade Unknown)

- Energy manipulation (Grade Unknown)

- Energy core (Grade Unknown)

- Impending Demise (Grade Unknown)

- Synthesis (Grade Unknown)

2. Class-related abilities (2)

- Magic Swordsmanship (A)

- Mirror's Edge Swordsmanship (Ungraded)

3. Other abilities(redacted)

- Elemental Magic (C)

- Atomic Magic (Ungraded)

For a long while, Kim Hannah was quiet. But then...

"What the actual fuck?" She muttered and then looked at me. And then she shook her head. Then, she took off her glasses, rubbed her eyes, stared at the space in front of her, cleaned her glasses, put them back on... And then shook her head again.

After about a minute or so, she looked at me and said, "...What in the actual fuck?"

I shrugged. "Hey. You gotta prepare for eventualities, right?"

"...You. Do you even know what these stats mean? No." She shook her head and said, "How do you even have so many abilities...? And those Innate Abilities too..."

"Hey. I told you that you wouldn't regret investing in me, right?"

Kim Hannah stared at me and said, "Are you seriously still level one?"

"Yep."

"And you're... A warrior."

"Yep?"

"With those stats, and with the ability to cast magic?"

"Apparently."

"...God I need a drink." She pinched the bridge of her nose and said, "No wonder you had the balls to say that in front of those two. Even if Sung Shihyun was still with Sinyoung, I don't think you'd lose out any. And at level one too... No wonder they told me to save the stamp. If someone else snatched you up..." She paused and then laughed. "Right! Those bastards still don't know!"

"Don't know what?"

"That you could already fight back on Earth. Heh. Making threats against you... Those guys are going to be in for a surprise when you smack them on the back of their heads." Kim Hannah rubbed her hands together. Then she paused and looked at me. "Though... are you sure you want to contract with me? I know you've already signed it, but if you want-"

"I said it before, and I won't say it again." I looked at Kim Hannah and said, "You are the only one I will contract with in Paradise. Understood, Partner Hannah?"

She stared at me for a long time and then revealed a genuine smile. "Fine. You win, 'Partner Jihu.'"

"Anyway, what now?" I looked around to see my friends still in the middle of negotiations.

Shin Sang-Ah was already gone, but Hyun Sangmin was in the middle of a long talk with someone.

The Yi siblings were chatting together with an unknown man, eyes bright as they talked.

Did he catch my eye? The man glanced over and gave me a quick nod, as if reassuring me. Of course, the sweat forming on his brow showed his attentions already even without that act.

Kim Hannah followed my gaze and said, "Should we wait for them? We've got time."

Yi Seol-Ah looked over and giggled, waving.

I gave her a thumbs up and then stood up, pointing off into the distance.

Yi Seol-Ah got a look of realization and nodded.

At that time, Sungjin glanced over as well, looking up from reading the contract. Seeing me, he waved and then glanced back at the contract before talking with the man.

"...They'll be fine. I'm sure we'll meet again."

It was time for them to walk their own paths and grow. That was impossible while I stood beside them, since they would always rely on me.

So then...

"I'll be looking forward to seeing how much they've grown."

Kim Hannah hummed. "I'll keep an eye on them for you then. Now... How about we get you home? It's been a while since you've seen your family and I'm sure they're riddled with questions."

xxx

After leaving the banquet area, I followed Kim Hannah and got into a carriage with her, leading to that city Scheherazade.

At first, I thought it would just be us. But surprisingly-

"What a coincidence." Shin Hansung waved and said, "I didn't think I'd see you two."

Kim Hannah rolled her eyes and got in the seat. "As if there were any other carriages to take."

Yun Seora gave me a shy nod and said, "Mister Jihu."

I shook my head and said, "Just Jihu's fine, Seora. I'd like to think we're that close at least, right?"

She flushed and then nodded.

Shin Hansang caught it all and sighed. "What a mess."

Kim Hannah shook her head and muttered, "Damned lady killer..."

I pretended not to hear either and waved towards the carriage. "After you, Seora."

She nodded and then walked inside.

Once we were all settled and the carriage got moving, Kim Hannah started telling me the basics. Things like telling her where I wanted to get sent back to on Earth, the method of coming back one on Earth, etc.

But not to be deterred by my declarations earlier, Shin Hansang chimed in as well, making veiled implications that the President wouldn't mind if me and Yun Seora got close, and that there'd be plenty of opportunities for that at Sinyoung.

Of course, I changed the topic whenever that happened. And after the first few times, Shin Hansang sighed and gave up.

Then, after forty minutes...

"We're here." Kim Hannah opened the door and walked out. Once on the ground, she turned back and said, "Welcome to Scheherazade."

xxx

The city was an enormous earth-colored fortress. Rather than civilian use, it looked like a place that was repurposed in preparation for war.

Shin Hansang and Kim Hannah left the carriage first, leaving the two of us, me and Yun Seora, alone.

A strange atmosphere.

Seora stared at me with mixed emotions. Determination, regret, interest, and... something troublesome.

To avoid it, I nodded and said, "This is where we part ways, Seora."

"It seems so, Mister- I mean, Jihu." She finished with a bright smile.

"...Is your arm well now?"

Seora laughed and raised it up. "As good as- No, better than before. All thanks to you."

I shook my head. "No. You put in a lot of effort as well. That determination to never give up, that resolve to keep going through adversity, even after what happened to you..." I stared at her and said, "You're strong, Seora. And that's all you. All I did was just get you back on your feet. You're the one who kept walking after that."

Yun Seora shook her head. "I'm not that strong."

"Maybe not. But you will be." I smiled and said, "And at that time, I'll be looking forward to seeing how you've grown."

Her eyes widened and then she said, "Really?"

"Of course. After all..." I gave her a cheeky smile and said, "You still owe me, remember?"

She smiled back and said, "I won't forget."

"Good. Then... I guess this is it." I stood up and held out my hand.

Yun Seora stared at me for a long while and then took it.

"Good work, Seora."

She nodded and said, "Thank you, Jihu. For everything. It's been fun. Really, really fun."

I nodded and let go of her hand. She lingered for a split second longer, but let go as well.

With that, and a final wave, I left her behind.

xxx

Kim Hannah and I headed to the Temple of Luxuria to prepare to return home.

After setting up a transfer gate at the front counter, heading to the storage area to place my items away, getting my key to my locker in the temple, and then changing into fresh Earth clothes that Kim Hannah brought, signing off the paper work about non-disclosures, etc... it was time to go.

xxx

"I deposited some money into your bank account."

I glanced at Kim Hannah as we arrived at the transfer gate. "That wasn't in the contract."

She continued and said, "Think of it as a gift. After all, you've gone above even my wildest dreams in terms of success."

I nodded.

Kim Hannah glanced at a phone and said, "It should be around the middle of April when you return. I'll spend another day here before going to Earth, so I'll give you a call in... about eight hours later in the Earth time." She narrowed her eyes and said, "You'd better answer my call, okay? I won't forgive you if you run off- No, I'll head straight to your house and chase you down, you hear?"

I laughed. "Got it, Partner Hannah." I waved and said, "See you on the other side."

"Take care... Ah! And make sure to call your family as soon as you can!"

I nodded and then walked through the portal.

xxx

The sensation of being sucked through time and space. A strong gaze, staring at me from across the void- No, multiple strong gazes. They couldn't see me exactly, but they were searching.

Realizing that, I quickly withdrew my aura, minimizing my presence.

And then-

"...I'm home, huh?"

A familiar studio apartment. The place I moved to after starting my free lancing.

Dust had started to pile up and a series of letters were piled up underneath my door. Not just mail, but notes as well.

My phone was still on my desk nearby. It was long dead- No, still dead from back then. Grabbing it, I plugged the charger into it before looking around my room. As I did...

"Hm."

A faint hum of power filling the air. Not mana, but radio waves, radiation, and other energy.

But more than that, a pulse echoed from inside me as well. Power that I definitely didn't have before heading out, but power that had well and truly become my own, even on Earth.

I grinned. "Perfect."

I held out my hand and concentrated.

Was it because my abilities evolved? With just a thought, I managed to manipulate the molecules in the air, changing its form.

Water, ice, air... and then to metals like iron and nickel.

To test again, I threw out a casual jab.

The air cracked, like a gun. But I was prepared for it and neutralized the shockwave, drawing it back in.

In short...

"Mission success."

The next stage of my training plan could commence. But for now...

I swept my hand through my apartment and cleaned the area. At the same time, I held out my hand to the letters and pulled them in.

Bills, bills... and then notes.

[Oppa! Noona said that you got into trouble because of me. Please, answer your phone! Tell me you're okay!]

[Oppa? Is it true? A director at Sinyoung said that you're working on a project with them as a free lancer... But I'm worried. I think... I think the people that tried to get me were from Sinyoung. Call me as soon as you see this!]

More letters. Some from mom. A few from dad. One from Wooseok. But most were from Jinhee, progressively getting more desperate. As I sorted through them all... I noticed a faintly familiar handwriting.

[Jihu. Please... You're alive, right? I need to talk to you. I know you don't want to talk to me, but... please. Call me as soon as you can.]

A faint tremor in my heart. Seeing that, I sighed. "Seonhwa."

A small vibration echoed from the counter. The signal that my phone was charging.

As it did, my alert notification sound chimed dozens of times.

I already knew how it was going to be... But it was also too late to deal with it.

So then, after sorting things out one last time, I flopped on my bed and went to sleep.

xxx

How long did I sleep? When I opened my eyes again, the light from the sun began filtering in through my windows, revealing a bright blue sky.

I yawned and sat up. After grabbing my phone, I walked over to make a pot of coffee. It wasn't necessary, especially since I could feel the energy coursing in my body quickly revving up my senses, but I did it out of habit.

"Let's see..."

I glanced at my phone.

It was... 7AM. A Wednesday, April 12th. And on my phone, there were hundreds of messages. Most from Jinhee, as expected, and a few from my parents. There was one from Seonhwa, like the note, but it was brief and just repeated the same thing.

While waiting for my coffee to brew, I contemplated on who to call first.

My dad and mom... Kim Hannah said they were fine. And considering that she trusted me, it was unlikely to be false information. But most importantly, there wasn't any color on their names, showing they weren't in any danger.

Yoo Seonhwa... I still didn't know how to deal with her. On one hand, as Seol Jihu, I had lingering sentiments to her. Wistful emotions and memories of the past... but at the same time I also knew that I had hurt her. And more than that... I didn't know if we were compatible at all.

Well, that was a lie. Just from her devotion alone, I would be fine with it. But I also had the feeling that I couldn't stop with just her.

It was selfish, but thinking of Yun Seora, Kim Hannah, and the others... I found my heart tugged in different directions.

So I didn't want to talk to her yet. Not until I could decide for sure.

Also, there was the issue about Paradise.

While I could evade the Divine enforced words since the power in my body was strictly my own compared to the others that built on the Seven Sin Gods with their achievements, it was still troublesome.

So probably a bad idea to talk with her. I should, but I wasn't going to.

Call it cowardice or whatever, but that was what I decided.

Then, in that case...

I picked up my phone and clicked on Jinhee's name.

While it was still a bit early, knowing her-

"Hello...?"

The familiar voice. But the bright energy within it was gone, dampened and fatigued. Part of it might have been from just waking up, but I could sense that it was deeper than that.

Hearing that and realizing why, I felt my heart ache. Even so, I focused and said, "Jinhee? Did I call too early?"

Silence.

I waited.

And then...

"Oppa? Oppa?! OPPA?! Is that you!?"

The sound of rustling clothes, blankets being thrown across the room. Crashing and some things falling over.

In the distance, I could hear my mom's muffled voice call out.

But Jinhee didn't pay any attention to that. Instead, she said, "Are you okay? You aren't hurt, right? Are you safe? Where are you? Have you eaten?"

A rapid-fire barrage of questions.

Hearing her concern, a faint smile crossed my face. "I'm fine, uninjured, and safe. As for where I am, I just got back from a long trip. And I haven't eaten yet, so do you want to grab some breakfast?"

"You... This isn't a dream, right? Oppa, you're really alive? You're really talking to me?" Her voice quivered, frail and doubtful.

"If you're that worried, should I come pick you up?"

"NO!" Clothes rustled in the distance and then she said, "I'm coming to you! Your apartment, right? I'll be there in ten minutes! Don't go anywhere!"

Ten minutes?

"O-Oi. Don't speed, alright? I'm not going anywhere."

Did she even hear me?

I heard footsteps run down the stairs, my mom call out and yell, and then the call cut off.

...It should be fine. Staring at her name, I didn't see any colors. And to be sure, I used insight... but it only said that she was filled with relief, expectation, and happiness.

Then... With that done. I picked another name and called.

The dial tone. Another. And then-

"Who is this?" A gruff voice called out. "Why are you using my son's phone number?"

I coughed. "Um... Because it's me?"

Silence, and then a deep sigh on the other side. "You ungrateful bastard. If you were going to call, you should have done it sooner."

"Sorry. But I was on a secret project last minute... I think my manager mentioned she called you guys to let you know?"

"Mm. That Miss Hannah, right? She did... But Jihu. Tell me the truth."

I didn't see his face, but from his tone of voice, I could tell that he would have given me a stern glare. "Did you get caught up in something? Was it loansharks?"

I laughed. A genuine one.

Loansharks? If it was something like that, it would be an easy fix.

"No. Nothing like that. You see, I met Miss Hannah through a mutual acquaintance and we started a joint venture together. It was top secret though since her higher ups aren't too fond of side projects. But since we worked hard and managed to get some results, it's enough now for me to get some free time... Though I'll probably need to go on some more sudden business trips overseas."

Not a single lie, only leaving out the bits about it being in Paradise.

My dad let out a long sigh. "That's a relief. But you idiot son! If it was something like that, you should leave a note! Seonhwa told us that you showed up at her door and then left Jinhee before vanishing. We... I thought the worst had happened."

A faint tremor. The stony mountain that was my father shook, just a bit.

Hearing that, my heart ached as well, but I said, "Sorry. I'll make sure to not do it again."

"Mm. At least it's better than gambling. Though... I heard something interesting from that Miss Hannah. It seems that you developed quite a few of those fancy computer programs that the kids are using these days?"

I laughed. "Ah, that's... Well, I had a lot of time on my hands?"

"It seems like it. And didn't you tell me that you were job searching?"

"I was! But companies weren't going to hire me without results, see... And now I have some."

"Hmph. Well... As long as you're healthy. Don't forget to show your face every now and then... And have you called Jinhee? She was worried sick about you."

"I did- Ah." I frowned and said, "Wait. Didn't you hear me call her?"

"How could I? I'm still in the hospital."

My eyes widened, remembering that detail. "Right! How are you? What's the diagnosis? Is everything alright?"

My dad scoffed. "Now he remembers... But it seems like they really worked you hard if you forgot." Faint rustling, probably my dad shaking his head. "I'm fine. They said I had a minor aneurysm and fractured most of the bones in my body. But nothing major."

I froze. "Fractured all the bones in your body? An aneurysm?!"

"It's fine, kid. I lived, and there aren't any complications. I'm just stuck here in the hospital for the time being... Boring, but at least I get to catch up on my old dramas."

"You-"

"Anyway, thanks for calling. Don't forget to call your mother too. Stay safe."

Before I could say anything else, the line cut off.

I stared at the phone for a moment, contemplating whether to call him back. But after a few moments, I sighed and decided not to.

"That guy..."

My dad was definitely tough. It was clear to see where Jihu... where 'I' got that attitude from, at least.

Footsteps from outside.

I blinked and turned to look. Not long after, a series of rapid knocks echoed.

"Oppa?! It's me! Are you there? Open the door!"

Jinhee's voice.

I smiled and walked over, opening it. "Jinhee, you-"

When I saw her appearance, I froze.

125