18 – Karma
4k 32 136
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was my adorable sister as expected. But... she wasn't well. Her face was thin and her skin color was pale. The silky curled hair she usually took so long to maintain was thin and frazzled, while her outfit, usually coordinated, was nothing more than a crumpled gray sweater and matching sweatpants. Even her shoes, usually stylish boots, were just a pair of mismatched slippers.

"What happened to you?"

Jinhee stood there, staring at me with trembling eyes. Instead of responding, she walked in and held out her hands. "Oppa... Oppa? Is it really you?"

I closed the door behind her and then grabbed her hands.

They were cold, thin. At the same time, her fingernails, usually manicured, were rough and jagged, like they were bitten.

My dad had mentioned that she was worried sick about me, but this...

My heart felt like it was tearing apart seeing her like this. So, before I knew it, I pulled her in for a hug. "I'm sorry, Jinhee."

She tensed, and then her body relaxed and she pulled me in for a tight hug. "Oppa... Oppa!" Before she knew it, Jinhee had started crying, sobbing against my shirt.

It was a mess. Even so, I didn't mind it.

"There, there. I'm fine. You're fine. Everything's fine." I massaged her back and said, "This isn't a dream."

Jinhee nodded, but she quietly sobbed into my chest.

I waited until she could get out all of her troubles.

After a few minutes, Jinhee stepped back, brushing her eyes. "Sorry, Oppa."

"It's fine."

She shook her head and then let out a deep breath. After that, she looked up at me and said, "I'm sorry. I should have listened to you back then. I was... I was so worried. That terrible man and then the dark room... Waking up at Unni's house and you vanishing without a trace. I thought... I thought that...!"

It seemed like she was about to cry again.

I patted her head and smiled. "You silly girl. You should have more faith in your Oppa then that. I would never run off somewhere and leave you alone like that."

"Mm." She nodded, sniffing. "I know. But... But Oppa." She looked at me and hesitated. "Those people... I don't remember much about what happened, but I went over what I could remember over and over again after that night. And I remembered it. I'm sure. Those people... they were from Sinyoung, weren't they? And now you're working for Sinyoung too..." She looked up at me and said, "Is it... because of me?"

"Huh?"

She glared at me and then said, "Don't lie to me!" The moment she raised her voice, she flinched and shook her head. But then she grabbed my hands and said, "Please don't lie. Tell me the truth, Oppa. Are you... Are you in a bad place because of me? Because you had to save me?"

"Mm..." I paused, considering how to answer it.

But it seemed that Jinhee took that for an answer. "I knew it. Oppa... You're in with bad people again."

"Jinhee-"

"You... You worked so hard to change and leave it all behind. But because of me... Because of me...!" She sniffed, about to burst into sobs again.

"Jinhee." I cut her off.

Hearing the sharp tone, she looked up at me, confused.

"Listen carefully. What happened that night was not your fault. If anything, it was mine for not making things clear."

"Oppa, I-"

"Shut up."

She flinched. But realizing the change in tone, she nodded and remained quiet.

"If something like that happened, I would do the exact same thing. It's the older brother's job to take care of their little sister, so don't you dare blame yourself."

"B-But...!"

"And furthermore... While it's true that I was in a tight spot for a bit, a friend of mine managed to sort things out."

"A... friend?"

I nodded. "You met her already. Miss Hannah... At least, she told me that she met you guys."

"But... How did you meet? And then why did you have to disappear without a trace?"

"Ah, that's a bit... Well." I coughed and said, "You know how big Sinyoung is, right? After ki- I mean, 'taking care of' a few of their employees, my friend made a suggestion that I laid low somewhere out of their reach. Through some quick planning, I went overseas while she sorted out the mess. It was a bit rough, but since we were planning to start on a project together as well, I just spent the time getting the ball rolling doing routine stuff overseas."

"R-Really?" Jinhee looked at me with frantic eyes. "You aren't lying?"

"I'm not. Honest. I even made a few friends... Ah. I think there were some people around your age as well." I paused, remembering Yi Seol-Ah and Yi Sungjin. "I forgot to get their numbers, but I'll introduce you some time."

"...You're really fine?" Jinhee looked at me, her gaze sharp. "You aren't lying? They aren't forcing you to do anything bad?"

"Nothing of the sort."

"B-But... Dad's hospital bills were paid for in full! His operation, after care... everything!"

I nodded. "Well, yeah?" I scratched the back of my head and said, "It's a bit embarrassing but I made a bit of a nest egg, you know?"

"But-"

"That's enough questions." I patted Jinhee's head and said, "Come on. I haven't had a proper breakfast in a while, so why don't we grab something. And since I woke you up early, you probably haven't either, right?"

Jinhee nodded. "I haven't, but-"

"Western-style breakfast sound good to you? I know it's not usual, but I've gotten a bit used to that type, so I hope you don't mind." Before she could protest, I grabbed my keys and wallet, already slipping on my shoes.

Seeing that, Jinhee finally sighed and followed after me. "...You're the same as always, Oppa. Doing things like that without caring what people think."

"I'd be worried if I wasn't the same. Now come on. I'm probably going to have to leave for a while after this, so let's make the most of it while I'm here."

xxx

We roamed around the city for a bit, Jinhee letting me drive her car.

It was a bit awkward. I intended to use mine, but it seemed that Kim Hannah failed to mention that she hadn't run it since I left, which meant that the thing needed maintenance.

Of course, I could have fixed it with my powers, but that would be a bit hard to explain.

After a bit of thinking and catching up, we stopped at a small coffee shop.

I parked the car and got out, closing the door behind me. As I did, I heard Jinhee do the same. But when she got out and noticed where we were, she gasped and said, "Wait, Oppa. This place is..."

"Hm?" I glanced back at her and said, "Is this place no good?"

"No." Jinhee shook her head. "It's great. But..." She paused, as if hesitant on what to say. But then she sighed. "Never mind. It'll be fine."

That was a strange reaction, but seeing that it wasn't one from concern or fear, I decided to just chalk it off as nerves.

"You know, if you were worried about how you look, you could have taken a bit more time to get ready."

Jinhee huffed and walked over, poking my side. "It's your fault that- Eh?" She paused and poked me again. "...Oppa. Have you been working out?"

"I've always been working out?"

"I know that! But I mean... your muscles are rock hard. What kind of work have you even been doing?"

"Secret. Now... This place seems pretty popular."

Despite it being 7:30AM on a weekday, there was a small crowd of people inside the coffee shop. Mostly young folks, university students and the like.

"Well of course it would be." Jinhee muttered.

"Ah." I looked over to her and said, "That reminds me... Will you be fine skipping class?"

Jinhee shook her head. "After what happened to Dad... and after what those three did to me, Mom and Hyung withdrew me from classes for a few months. I don't go back until May."

I frowned. "Is that fine? Won't it be hard to catch up?"

Jinhee shrugged. "It's my last year anyway. Even if I fail my courses this semester, my grade point won't drop that far. And since Oppa is apparently rich, it'll be fine either way, right?"

I sighed. "That's not an excuse to skip on studying... but I suppose that's true. Still, you can't be a lay about, alright? And take care of yourself more. Wasting away like that will make it hard for you to find a good boyfriend, you know?"

"And whose fault do you think it is that I look like this? I was worried sick about you!"

"And you shouldn't be. In fact, if you're that worried, take extra good care of yourself. If I did happen to disappear suddenly someday, that's what I want, alright?"

Jinhee froze and then looked at me. "...Oppa?"

I coughed. "Not like that's going to happen. But you know what I mean."

She bit her lips, lowering her gaze. But after a while, she looked back up and said, "Fine. I'll take care of myself. But then you have to promise to do the same. If you ever disappear... I'm going to become super successful and flaunt it at your grave! So much that you'll be jealous!"

I laughed and patted her head. "Make sure you do."

A cough echoed from behind us. A male university student.

I glanced back and met his gaze.

He flinched and then said, "P-Pardon me. B-B-But you're blocking the line..."

"Ah. My bad." I grabbed Jinhee's hand and led her forward. "Come on, Sis. You're blocking the path."

"You calling me fat?!"

"As if. Just a wall."

Jinhee gasped and instinctively hugged her chest. Glaring at me, she said, "Well, you're as dense as a brick!"

I nodded. "True. But at least I'm a brick of gold. Have you done anything recently with your life?"

"...Dammit, Oppa. You're too smart for your own good."

"I wouldn't be me if I weren't."

A smile finally appeared on Jinhee's face, casting away that gloom around her. Seeing that, I smiled back and said, "Now there's the adorable smile I remember."

A faint tinge of red appeared on Jinhee's face and then she jabbed my ribs. "Save those smooth words for Unni. And watch yourself! I'm fine, but other girls might misunderstand, you know? No, not just might, with as handsome as Oppa is, they definitely will."

I laughed. "Right. I'll keep that in mind."

xxx

The coffee shop's door caused a ring to echo, chiming like a soft bell.

"Seonhwa! Pancakes and two French roast coffees!" A female voice called out to the back.

Yoo Seonhwa let out a sigh and began preparing the orders.

It was busy as always in the morning in her work place.

Even though she was the manager, in the end she still ended up doing most of the work.

It couldn't be helped though. While the other waitresses were good at their jobs, she was just that more efficient. Where they could only juggle one order, Seonhwa could handle a dozen, smoothly flowing between each without hesitation or stalling.

Of course, if she couldn't do something simple like that after what she had gone through, then there would be something wrong with the world.

"Oh? It looks like another candidate's come in!"

...Though it was hard to do when those girls kept saying things like that.

"Really? Who- Oooh. You mean the guy with that scruffy girl?"

"Yeah! Don't you think he'd be a perfect fit for our manager?"

Yoo Seonhwa sighed and flipped a skillet, finishing up a set of pancakes. Without skipping a beat, she tossed them on a plate and then poured out a pair of coffees into mugs. That done, she put it all on a tray and walked back to the front.

Seeing the girls chatting, Seonhwa rolled her eyes and said, "You girls should work more and talk less. We're busy, and you're just standing around like this?"

One of the waitresses turned around and said, "It's fine, Manager Yoo! Most of the business here is because of you anyway. It's not like they'll run off because it's a bit delayed. But more importantly, look!" She pointed in the back corner and said, "A guy just walked in over there with a girl. Now, that seems bad, but Yura here overheard them talking and it looks like she's that guy's sister!"

"Yeah, yeah." Seonhwa shook her head and said, "Where is this order going to?"

"What? Aren't you the least bit interest, Manager Yoo?" Another waitress spoke up and said, "He's a perfect ten in all categories, you know? A face like a pop idol, a chiseled body like a god of war, and a professional fashion sense oozing with class and money!" She smiled and said, "We finally have a guy that can bring down your unwavering wall!"

Yoo Seonhwa rolled her eyes and said, "I'm not interested, girls."

After all, there was someone that she was waiting for.

And that guy...

Seonhwa was worried about him. Leaving in such a rush, dropping off Jinhee like that...

Seonhwa shook her head and said, "Anyway, since you girls clearly aren't going to work, where should I take this order to?"

One of the girls smiled and said, "Well, I guess we'll get to see first hand if that resolve of yours holds up!" She pointed to a table in the far corner and said, "That order goes to our mysterious stranger and his sister over there."

Seonhwa sighed and picked up the tray. "Fine. Just to satisfy you guys, I'll go over there. But nothing's going to happen, so get back to work and-"

Her words died in her throat. Not only that, but before she knew it, she lost strength in her arms, causing the plate and coffee to clatter on the ground.

Or that's what should have happened. But before they could-

"Hey now. This is your job, isn't it? Be careful."

-Strong and firm arms pulled her close, supporting the tray.

xxx

Silence. The lively café immediately fell quiet, as if death itself descended.

Of course, that was to be expected.

The most beautiful waitress in the coffee shop nearly dropped her tray when she saw me. Not only that, but I immediately crossed the room and pulled her into my arms, stopping the mess from occurring.

Jealous gazes from the men. Envious ones from the women.

But more importantly than that...

"...Jihu...?"

...A soft and lovely voice, drifting to my ears.

I stepped back and handed her the tray before heading to my seat.

Yoo Seonhwa numbly followed, still in shock. But that vanished when she noticed Jinhee sitting there. The shock was wiped away, replaced with worry and then concern. "Jinhee!" She put the tray down and said, "You told me you were eating properly! What happened?"

Jinhee coughed and averted her gaze. "I-I have, Unni! Kinda."

Seonhwa crossed her arms and said, "Jinhee."

"...Fine. I haven't been. But geez... You and Oppa really are on the same wavelength, aren't you?"

And there it was. The elephant in the room.

Seonhwa turned to look at me, her kind and soft chocolate eyes staring carefully at my face.

Seeing that, I coughed and held up my hand. "Hey, Seonhwa."

"Jihu." She paused and then said, "That's you, right?"

"Yep." I glanced over to the coffee and pancakes and said, "That's our order, right? Do you mind? I haven't eaten yet."

"Oh! No, no. Go ahead." Seonhwa pushed the plate in front of me and then handed out the coffee. After that, she paused and looked at Jinhee. "Actually, let me make some more since it seems like 'someone' hasn't been eating well."

Before I could react, Seonhwa left, quickly making her way back into the kitchen. Not long after, the sound of cooking echoed in the shop.

At the same time, the coffee shop quickly emptied, leaving only me and Jinhee as the remaining customers.

Jinhee sighed. "Geez, Oppa. You really had to do that, didn't you?"

"Hm?" I glanced over at her. "What do you mean?"

"Isn't it obvious?" She pointed at the empty seats and said, "They were obviously here trying to get Unni's attention! But now that you did that, what guy is going to show their face around here?"

I paused and then facepalmed. "Right. I should have thought about that."

I was wearing a fancy suit and clothes since I decided to take Jinhee out. Not only that, but because of my training and body refinement, it would be hard-pressed to find anyone with my physique as well as looks.

When Seonhwa acted like that, my instincts took over and I moved to help her. But in doing so...

"...Should I buy out her shop?"

I seriously considered it.

Money wasn't an issue for me now, both because of Paradise and because of my apps. Not only that, but the thought of Seonhwa dealing with pushy guys all day long...

Jinhee rolled her eyes. "If you're that worried about her, why don't you just marry her already? Honestly, I get that you still feel bad, but-"

"Feel bad about what?"

Was it coincidence, or purposeful? Seonhwa returned at that exact moment and placed down a tray of toast, pancakes, and eggs in front of Jinhee.

Jinhee frowned and said, "I'm not going to be able to finish all of this, Unni."

She glanced at her and said in a stern voice, "You'd better. Or do I have to feed you myself? Don't think you're too old for me to do so."

Hearing that voice and seeing the stern gaze, Jinhee sighed and started eating.

When she did, Seonhwa slid into the seat beside me as if it was the most natural thing in the world. Placing her elbows on the table and lacing her hands together, she looked at me and said, "What were you two talking about?"

Faced with that kind and loving gaze, I instinctively averted my gaze and said, "Nothing much."

"Mm..."

I glanced at Seonhwa and said, "What about you? Are you fine to be just sitting here and talking to us?"

She shrugged and said, "I'm the manager, so it's fine. Besides, a certain somebody caused all of my customers to leave." She gave me accusatory words, but her eyes were soft.

Seeing that, I felt a bit guilty. "That's-"

"It's fine." She smiled and said, "Just seeing that you're okay is worth it."

Jinhee groaned and said, "Get a room already, you two."

I glanced at her and frowned. "Jinhee-"

"She's right."

"Huh?"

Seonhwa stood up and said, "Let's go talk in the back. There's some things I wanted to ask you."

"...Sure." I nodded and stood up. "Let's go- Ah. And Jinhee, remember to eat."

"Yeah, yeah." My sister cut a piece of toast and stuck it in her mouth. "I'm eating."

xxx

The kitchen. After Seonhwa shooed all of her waitresses away and closed up shop, she led me to the back and then leaned against a countertop, staring at me.

I stared back, not knowing what to say.

"...You came back." Eventually, Seonhwa said that. "I was worried. A month was almost over."

"A month?" I paused and then remembered what I left her with. "Right." I scratched the back of my head and said, "It somehow worked out."

"...Could you give me your hand?"

"Hm?" I blinked and said, "Sure."

I reached it out.

Seonhwa took it, carefully staring at my palm.

At the same time, I stared at her with my Insight skill.

[Yoo Seonhwa]
Worried about you.
Wondering if you went to Paradise.
Relieved since she can't sense a mark of any kind.

I resisted the urge to stiffen at that message.

Right. I forgot about it. Other people could tell who was from the other side if they were in close contact.

Thankfully, my abilities let me hide that fact. But if I didn't, that would have made things a lot messier.

She let out a sigh of relief. Seeing that, I thought she was going to let go of my hand. But instead, she began rubbing my palm, tracing over the callouses. "...You've worked hard, huh?"

"A little, yeah."

She finally let go of my hand and then looked up at me. With a frown, she said, "Just where have you been, Jihu? With how you left, I thought..." A pained look crossed her face, no doubt recalling a dark time.

Seeing that, I winced and said, "It was... Kind of hectic."

"Hectic?"

I nodded and said, "It's a long story... I'll tell you about it some time later. But..." I made a show of looking around and said, "This is a nice place you have here. Is it yours, or...?"

She nodded. "It's mine. I saved up a lot to open it." She laughed and said, "I was actually hoping to run it with you some day, actually."

A faint memory in my mind, a small promise about opening a restaurant.

"Ah." Seonhwa shook her head. "Sorry. I didn't mean to try and force you into anything. I just thought... I always wanted to try and run a little café, you see?"

I nodded. "I know."

An awkward silence.

But that was inevitable.

Just as I had my secrets to keep, she had hers. And as long as that remained true, it would be hard to return back to that time.

"...You seem to be doing well for yourself," Seonhwa said. "Those girls said those are designer clothes?"

"These?" I lightly touched my shirt and said, "It's nothing much. Kind of required for meeting stuff execs though. They tend to think they know everything when it comes to computers, so you gotta put in at least some presence to counter that."

"Right. I heard that you were working on a project now for Sinyoung?" Seonhwa asked. A probing question, clear in its intent.

But I was expecting it.

"Not for Sinyoung directly. It helps them, yes, but I'm actually under one of their directors. Miss Kim Hannah."

Seonhwa slowly nodded. "That name seems familiar... I think I know who she is. But from what I heard, she doesn't trust people very often?"

"She doesn't. I... Kind of made her an offer she couldn't refuse though? I mean, after what Jinhee went through, it'd be bad PR, you know?"

"...Weren't you scared?" Seonhwa looked at me and said, "Something like that..."

"Of course not." An immediate response. "If I hadn't charged in there to save Jinhee, she- Well. I don't want to even imagine it, so let's drop it."

Seonhwa nodded.

Again, silence.

Seonhwa stared at me, mixed emotions in her eyes.

I was the same.

She was kind. Loving. Beautiful.

But...

"Seonhwa."

"Yes, Jihu?"

I stared at her and said, "...I'm not the same person you fell in love with."

Seonhwa tensed and then shook her head. "That's not true-"

"But it is." I stared at her and said, "The guy you knew... the Jihu that you fell in love with, that loved you... After everything that's happened, he can't come back."

Seonhwa was silent and clenched her fists. "And what lets you decide that?" She looked at me, her eyes red from tearing up and said, "How do you know the person I love?"

"You're right. I can't. But Seonhwa..." I looked up and said, "I'm selfish. Self-centered... And greedy."

Yun Seora. Agnes. Kim Hannah.

Through my own actions, I had already drawn their interest and affection. And I didn't have any intention of losing it.

It was greedy. It was selfish... And it was also a betrayal.

"Jihu?"

I looked at her and said, "I'll be honest."

Faint memories flickered in my mind. Not my own, but Jihu's. Worry about her studying overseas. Wondering if she was still in love with me, or if she had found someone else.

The appreciation of having Yun Seora look only at me and holding me close. Of Yi Seol-Ah giving me bright smiles.

Wanting those days to continue, but unwilling to commit...

"...If you stay with me, I'm going to hurt you."

Seonhwa stared at me and said, "...That's fine. You've hurt me before. This wouldn't be anything new."

I shook my head. "But I don't want to keep hurting you." I looked at her and said, "I won't be able to stop myself, you know? I'm the sort of guy who finds it hard to refuse good will."

Not wanting to see anyone hurt, but inevitably hurting everyone.

I could already see the end of where my decision would lead. Because, unlike that guy, I was just an ordinary person.

"...Have you found somebody else?" Seonhwa was quiet and then said those words.

I shook my head. "I haven't. But... It might turn out that way. And if at that time I have to choose... I... don't think I can..."

'Choose you.'

I left the words unspoken, but they still hung in the air.

The truth. 

Hurting the woman in front of me who waited so long for the love of her life to return to normal. Or hurting those that would come in the future or were already here.

One was a bond created from the past. The other were those I built up for myself.

Yoo Seonhwa stared at me, quiet. Not saying a word.

"...I'm sorry, Seonhwa. But you should-"

"It's fine."

"-find someone else... Huh?"

I blinked.

Yoo Seonhwa took a long sigh and then looked up at me. "I said that's fine. Maybe... Maybe this is payback for what I did to you back then too."

I shook my head. "Wait. No, Seonhwa, you don't understand-"

"I don't understand? *I* don't understand?" She shook her head and said, "You're the one who doesn't understand, Jihu. You... Do you know how long I've waited?" Tears finally welled in her eyes. "You say you've changed. You say you're going to hurt me. You tell me to find someone else... But how? How?" She stepped forward, anger and also love mixed in her eyes. "Even after all you did, even after everyone kept telling me to give you up, I didn't! I waited! You were the only thing that kept me going when I-" She cut herself off and shook her head.

"Seonhwa-"

She pulled my shirt and lowered her head. Tears glittered to the ground as she bit her lip. And after a while, she whispered, "I love you. I hate you, but I love you. Even if I did give you up, I was resolved to never love anyone else. So, now when you've finally come back to your senses... How can I? How can I not love you?"

She looked up, staring at me with glimmering chocolate eyes.

I stared back, guilt deep in my chest. "...I'm going to hurt you. In the end, you probably won't be the only one."

An honest declaration. The last attempt to push her away.

"...But you'll still love me right?"

"I will, but you-"

"Then it's fine." She leaned up.

Before I knew it, there was a faint brush against my lips. A soft warmth, and the faint taste of chocolate.

Seonhwa leaned back, eyes bright with a half smile. "I'll take what I can get. Besides... I won't give you up without a fight."

I sighed.

"Hey! Unni! Oppa! I'm done!" Jinhee's voice echoed from the front.

Seonhwa glanced over and smiled. "I guess we took too long."

"Seems like it."

Seonhwa laughed, like a weight had been removed from her.

But as for me...

xxx

Yoo Seonhwa waved goodbye to Jinhee and Jihu, watching them drive off. It wasn't until the car had completely vanished that she stopped. But when she did, her face fell.

"...That idiot." She mumbled to herself when she thought about him.

He was the same. A bit different, but still the same.

"Is it because he felt guilty?"

The smile and words he said to her were just like back then, when she first went overseas. Quietly accepting her actions and putting off his education for her sake. Saying that it was fine, but in truth hiding his pain.

She could still remember it. When she came back. How he accused her of whether those 'Yankees' were better than him. How devastated she felt when he changed, falling into gambling.

How he hurt her over and over, and how she couldn't say no to him after what she had done to him.

"...Is this how he felt back then?"

While that guy tried to hide it and gave clear excuses, it was obvious to someone like her what really happened. Probably because he didn't know that she was someone who had gone to Paradise either, he didn't try hiding the names.

Sinyoung. Kim Hannah.

While it had been a while since she interacted with that side, those names were too important to not know. And then there was the fact that he showed up that day with such a solemn declaration and the insistence that she move on from him...

"You idiot."

Seonhwa didn't know how he hid the mark from her or concealed that aura, but it was obvious.

Changing his body in such a short time period. Solving the situation with Sinyoung. Getting the money to pay for Ahjussi's operation and treatment.

And now, trying to push her away again.

With a long consideration, Seonhwa pulled out her phone and dialed a number.

A handful of rings, and then a voice picked up.

"Miss S-Seonhwa?"

"Yes, it's me."

"Oh my goodness! Is it really you, Miss Seonhwa?"

Staring at the car that had now vanished, Seonhwa nodded and said, "There's something I'd like to talk to you about..."

136