23 โ€“ The First Turning Point
3.6k 13 121
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was an uneventful return trip.

The mood was somber. Quiet. Carpe Diem and then others were probably mulling over the death of Samuel's team.

As for myself... I thought about how to help the Saintess.

She was trapped there, and from what I could sense from the defense spell, it was incredibly potent. While nothing I couldn't unravel by force, indeed I could just drain it, the problem was afterward.

She would be free to do whatever if things went well. But considering my lack of control, I might accidently destroy her in the process. After all, her current state of existence was as a form of energy rather than a material body.

Then... should I attempt to restore it?

I had a thought back in the Tutorial about "Restoration" potentially allowing the return of a soul to a body. In fact, I was fairly certain that I could do that at this point provided that I had a base to work with.

But the problem was that her body would have long decayed.

The record of the body, DNA... The thing was, I knew that it was possible to bring someone back even without that. The gods could resurrect someone whose body was completely gone.

In that case, I wondered. Could it be possible that the record of the soul-

"A penny for your thoughts, my friend?"

I blinked and saw that Ian had moved beside me, the kind older man giving me a warm smile.

I shook my head and said, "I'm just thinking about death."

"Ah." He nodded and said, "Concerned about its stark reality now that you've seen it close and personal?"

"No. It wouldn't be the first time."

After all, I killed three people back on Earth trying to save Jinhee.

"Oh?" Ian looked curious, but nodded and said, "Then what are you thinking of?"

"I was just wondering..." I thought and said, "The gods grant rewards based on contribution points, right? And since they're gods, if someone did enough to contribute, they might even be able to bring back the dead. Right?"

Ian nodded. "Indeed. Though the process is more complicated than that... After all, death here means that you return to Earth without a single memory of Paradise. To bring someone back, you would need to meet the condition of contribution points as well as bring that person who had utterly forgotten about this place back." He paused and said, "What brought along this thought, friend? Did you have someone you want to bring back?"

I shook my head. "No... But I was wondering how the actual resurrection process would work. The gods in this world, while powerful, aren't absolute. If they were, they wouldn't need our help."

"That may be the case... But even so, it is still far beyond the realms of humans, my friend."

"But is it?" I looked up at Ian and said, "Our enemy is a god herself. And one that is even stronger than the current gods. While it may be a longshot, the only way to resolve this situation would be to find an Earthling capable of defeating gods. That means that it's within the realm of possibility."

Ian blinked and then nodded. "Yes... I see your logic. Similar to how you determined the strength of the Saintess, correct? Judging the threat based upon the defense?"

"Right." I nodded and said, "That means that it shouldn't be impossible for a human to reach that level. Whether they can stay at that level is a different story... but that means that the fundamental principles are not exclusive to someone coming into existence at that level. Or rather, they can be used with the proper knowledge and prerequisites. Which makes me wonder about resurrection."

"Mm..." Ian nodded. "I can see the logic. But even so... Well, tell me your ideas."

"DNA stores the record of one's physical existence. We established this on Earth already. Furthermore, a person dies if their brain fails, meaning that one's existence is tied to that... On Earth. But the rules are a bit different here, right? With the proper spell, even a head injury can be restore at a given price."

"True. It would be a steep one, however."

I nodded. "The gods... Well, they probably revive people by reversing causality and unwinding time. But I don't think that's the only way. If it was, then it would be too inefficient. Also, if that was the case then vengeful spirits like the Saintess wouldn't exist."

Ian paused, thinking. "...I suppose that is true. But then if that is the case, why have there been no other records of resurrections? Even the mighty Empire of the past could not achieve such a mythical feat."

"I'm wondering if they don't have this all backwards."

"Pardon?"

I looked at Ian and said, "Do you know how living creatures are born? How life emerges from a single cell?"

He nodded. "I know the basics. A cell divides, using the record in its DNA to-" His eyes widened. "I see. So you are saying-"

"What if there's something similar in the soul? No, in someone's mana? In that case, if the 'memory' remains, wouldn't it be possible to recreate a body and allow the 'soul' to reenter through giving a blank slate?"

Off to the side, Chohong shook her head. "Hey Dylan. Got any idea what they're talking about?"

"Not a clue," the Carpe Diem leader said. "But it seems interesting."

Ian nodded. "Yes. That is an interesting hypothesis. But, Seol." He looked at me and said, "How is that different from a homunculus? If it was that simple, would it not be enough to create a physical body and inject it with mana?"

I shook my head. "That's backwards. It's... Well, do you know anything about artificial intelligence?"

Ian nodded. "A touch. I am an avid reader of science fiction, so I understand the concept at least."

"Right. So what you're talking about with the homunculus would be the top down approach. Recreating the physical body and then giving it sentience due to matching human functions. The problem is that a mind is too complex to be recreated at once. While it would be possible, something like that would be like trying to find the Holy Grail or making the Philosopher's stone. What I'm talking about is like baking. Assemble the ingredients and environment and then allow the result to emerge, only by keeping an eye on the process. The other way would be like trying to make bread by rearranging molecular constructs. Theoretically possible, but realistically impractical."

"Hm. Interest. Very interesting..." Ian looked at me and said, "And now I wonder even more. What is your job on Earth, Seol?"

"Well, it's-"

Suddenly, a faint vibration hummed.

I blinked and instinctively reached for my pockets. And then I remembered that it was impossible for my phone to be here.

"Ah." Ian pulled out a crystal from his cloak. "It's for me." He looked around and said, "Could you give me some privacy?"

"Of course." I nodded and stepped back.

The members of Carpe Diem did the same.

While we were there, Dylan turned to look at me. "You know, Seol. The more I am around you the more surprised I am at you. To think that a level 1 warrior could have this much insight... Well, it appears that a Gold Mark was not wasted."

Hugo nodded. "I didn't understand a bit of that mumbo jumbo you had with Ian, but it seems like some incredible stuff."

I shook my head. "It's not that great. I'm sure that someone else has thought of it in the past. The problem is in the execution... probably."

It was something that would be incredibly difficult to do. After all, anyone attempting to test my hypothesis would have to carefully construct a blank DNA slate and then carefully inject mana on that molecular level without destabilizing the helix and hope that it worked.

I had the luxury of direct manipulation from my Innate abilities and also a near boundless source of energy. Not to mention my ability to directly synthesize objects from energy through energy matter conversion.

Dylan shook his head. "Modesty is a virtue, Seol. But you should take credit when it is due."

"I'll keep that in mind."

Dylan nodded and then turned to look at Ian.

Chohong glanced over as well and then clicked her tongue. "I hope that's a friendly call. It's been a while now, hasn't it?"

Dylan frowned. "It has... and I don't think it is a friendly call."

"Wait," Hugo said. "It's not a war breaking out, is it?"

"I wonder," Dylan said. "Surely the Parasites wouldn't have the necessary manpower to focus on us right now."

"In that case," Chohong said. "The Federation?"

Dylan shook his head. "That makes even less sense."

At that time, the communication came to an end. And when it did, Ian walked over, his face somber.

Dylan spoke up and said, "What happened?"

Ian was silent and then said, "They say that all communications with the Arden Fortress have been cut off."

Chohong's expression immediately crumbled. "Damn it! I know that would happen!"

Ian held up his hand. "Let me continue." With a grave face, he said, "The last communication was two days ago. The royal family of Haramark has issued and emergency bounty and has recruited Level 3 and 4 Earthlings. They have issued draft notices for High Rankers as well."

"Draft notice!?" Chohong spat on the ground and said, "Gimme a fucking break!"

"Calm down." Dylan looked at Chohong and then turned back to Ian. "How many answered the notice?"

"Not even one."

Dylan sighed. "I thought as much."

Ian gave a helpless smile. "It can't be helped. The Arden Fortress was a strategy the royal family forced. In any case, they are in the midst of marching towards the fortress as we speak with a small contingent of Earthlings accompanying their armed forces."

I frowned. A bad situation... was it? I had a faint memory of something like this happening before. But how did that guy solve it again...?

Dylan looked at Ian and said, "Are you going too?"

Ian nodded. "You know it. I'm still employed by the royal family, after all." He smiled and said, "I've received quite a few benefits from them, so I must comply."

A death flag. That was the only way to describe it. And I had a feeling that things weren't quite that simple.

It seemed that Chohong sensed it as well as she shook her head and said, "Argh, don't go!" She swung her arm out and said, "You're supposed to quit after scouting the Forest of Denial is done, right?"

Ian gave a helpless smile.

Dylan nodded and then looked at Ian. "What did they want from us?"

Ian looked over and said, "The mission to scout the Forest of Denial is to be put on hold immediately. Escort me to the previously-agreed rendezvous point. As for the rest, they will discuss it with you. They also added that you'll be paid suitable compensation so you should rest easy."

Dylan slowly shook his head. "I have to discuss this with my team first. Can you give us a bit of time?"

Ian nodded. "Well, I don't have a say in that to begin with. And also, I'm sorry about this."

"This isn't something you should apologize for, Master Ian. Well then- Ah." Dylan paused and said, "By the way, who is the commander of the forces?"

"Teresa."

Dylan blinked. "Pardon?" He frowned and said, "Teresa Hussey is personally participating?"

Ian chuckled. "I see you had the same reaction I did. But that's right. The princess of the Haramark Royal Family is personally going to war."

xxx

"I'm surprised you're coming along with this, Jihu." Ian looked at me and said, "I cannot deny your strength and insight, but it isn't required for a level 1 like yourself."

"I know." I nodded and said, "But if my friend Ian is going to be on the front lines, I wouldn't be a righteous person if I didn't come along with him, right?"

The older Magician laughed and then nodded. "Indeed! Though there is a line between being righteous and foolish... but I'm sure you're aware of it."

"Obviously."

A campsite after marching for the whole day past the Forest of Denial.

While everyone else was off doing their own thing, Ian had shouldered over beside me again like it was natural.

"By the way," he said. "Would you mind if I took a look at that earring you got from Miss Saintess?"

"Hm?" I pulled it out and nodded. "Sure. But why? Curious?"

"Aren't you?" He took them and said, "Ancient technology from the great fallen Empire... it's a once in a lifetime opportunity."

"Eh." I shrugged and said, "If they were that great, they wouldn't be fallen, right?"

Ian smiled and said, "You are interesting as always, Jihu." He hopped to his feet and said, "Then I'll be off to inspect this with my analysis magic to see what it does."

I waved at him and said, "Go ahead. I'm a bit curious too."

He nodded and walked off into the tent.

As soon as he did, as if waiting for an opportunity, Dylan walked over. A cup of tea was in his hands and he held it out. "Here, Seol."

"Mm? You didn't have to, but I appreciate it." I took the cup from him and took a sip. It was mild and a bit sweet. Refreshing, but not too strong.

He nodded and sat down beside me. "Rather than words, it's the physical acts that show your intent more."

"Mm." I nodded and sipped the tea.

"So, what's on your mind?" Dylan made himself comfortable and looked to me. "Concerned about the war?"

"Not really." I paused and said, "I was just thinking about what to do next."

He blinked and shook his head. "Hah... Looks like I misread you again."

"Huh?"

Dylan smiled and said, "It's nothing. But thinking about the future, huh?"

"That's right." I sipped from my tea again and said, "I'm contemplating on what's worth doing and what's worth leaving behind."

On Earth, Kim Hannah should be handling the business there. Here, I was fine while I didn't make a name for myself.

But the moment I did... I was sure of it. The Parasite Queen would notice my attention.

I could hide my abilities well, and I was fairly certain that I could catch her by surprise. But only once.

And I had to make that one time count.

The problem was... When? And what should I do before that?

I was tempted to march straight into the enemy camp and fight. I was also fairly certain I could become strong enough by recklessly using my abilities to the max... But only fairly certain. It wasn't a guarantee and unlike a game, this was reality. Once would be it.

Well, I might be able to keep my memories through Earth due to my current situation, but it still wasn't good to be cocky.

Dylan looked troubled. "What's worth leaving behind...?"

I nodded. "You were right. I could have any organization open their doors for me, so I'm contemplating on the best decision to make."

Dylan's brows furrowed in thought. After a few moments, he opened his mouth. "Seol."

I glanced over. "Yeah?"

"I don't know if this is too early for you, but-"

"Seol!" Another voice called out my name. Ian.

Dylan glanced over and sighed, shaking his head. "Never mind. Should we see what Ian wants?"

xxx

Ian greeted me with a smile. Meanwhile, Chohong and Hugo stood beside him, staring at the earring with sparkling eyes.

"Congratulations," Ian said. He glanced down at the earring and said, "I still can't understand how a nation capable of producing such goods was destroyed so easily... But there you have it." He handed the earring back to me.

I took it and nodded.

"The name of this item is 'Festina Earring'. Truly, a wondrous gift."

"Mm. Is that so?"

Chohong rolled her eyes and said, "You could be a bit more excited, you know!?"

"Now calm down, Miss Chohong." Ian stared at her and said, "Our friend isn't aware of what it does yet." He looked back to me and said, "First of all, you have to think carefully about using it. The moment you put it on and activate it, the earring will become bound to you and you alone."

"Right!" Chohong said. "It'll be worthless the moment you do, so-"

Hugo scoffed. "What's there to think about? That accessory is designed for Archers and Warriors anyway. Why sell it when-"

"Now, now." Ian spoke up and said, "Let me finish."

The two became quiet.

Ian cleared his throat and looked at me. "When you infuse your mana into 'Festina Earring', the 'Boost' function imbued within it will activate. In other words, it will increase the speed of the person wearing it. According to my appraisal magic, your overall speed should be enhanced about 1.5 times for around one minute. But most importantly of all, you can stack the function up to three times. Whenever you activate this effect, it automatically charges back to full again... though the time needed for that full charge is around six hours."

"I see..." I picked it up and put it on.

Hugo and Chohong looked a bit envious, but they didn't say anything.

Ian stared at me, curious.

"Just infuse some mana, right?"

"That's correct."

Mana... well, I could do that. But I wondered...

Drawing out a faint thread of my purified energy, I put it in the earring, and then-

"What?!"

A hurricane of wind swirling around me.

"My word!" Ian exclaimed. "This...! My analysis magic didn't-"

I could sense it. The energy laced around my body, accelerating my velocity through modifying my kinetic energy.

However, inertia was a thing and it didn't seem to account for that. But...

"Let's try it."

I kicked off the ground.

A sonic boom erupted and I shot into the air. In an instant, the campsite became a tiny dot below me and I could see Haramark in the distance.

"Mm, a bit too much."

Gravity kicked in, accelerating me down. Dangerous. It seemed that all velocity was magnified.

I kicked the air, using an ice platform to shoot off.

Screeching winds and air resistance.

I removed it with my energy manipulation and made it frictionless.

Zigzagging through the air, dashing around and back to the ground.

Landing, I pivoted around the campsite, dashing between the trees. Then, with a flip, I jumped and landed back where I started. At the same time, the boost faded, the earring's energy fading.

"Mm." I touched the earring and nodded. "Not bad."

Everyone gave me a blank look.

"What?"

xxx

"Again, are you really a level 1 Warrior, Jihu?" Ian looked at me and said, "Being able to so readily use that earring..."

"If you want, I can show you my status window?"

Ian shook his head. "No. I'm honored, but that's fine. I believe you. It's just... Incredible. If this is you at level 1, in the future... I cannot even imagine it."

I shrugged.

We were arriving at the rendezvous point pretty soon. Perhaps because of the gravity of the situation, although the members of Carpe Diem were surprised at my abilities, they were solemn and kept to themselves.

Only Ian was jovial as always.

"Anyway," I said. "We're meeting the princess here, right?"

I could vaguely recall her being a pushy pink-haired princess who stuck to Seol like glue after being infatuated with him, but...

"Hoh?" Ian laughed, and said, "So even you're interested, are you?"

I nodded. "A bit. Since you said she's leading the charge, she can't be those dainty types. I'm guessing she's fairly strong too... So is she around the level of a High Ranker?"

Ian blinked and then laughed. "As astute as ever. But yes. Teresa Hussey... Or rather, Princess Teresa, is one hell of a woman. Among the Paradisians, she is one of the very few original residents blessed with the same providence that we Earthlings have."

"Makes sense... The royal family of Paradise would be important to the gods."

"Indeed. But more importantly than her combat prowess, her chest is-"

"Looks like they are here." Dylan's voice called out, cutting Ian off with perfect timing.

Ian's silly grin turned into a professional expression as he turned to look in the distance.

xxx

A march of hundreds of beasts.

"Oiii!" Ian raised his hand and called out to the group.

Someone from the march raised a hand in reply and then the thunderous march slowed down.

Soon, they were before us. When they were, the group spread out and the largest beast marched over, stopping right in front of Ian.

The rider smiled and said, "I didn't expect you to arrive before us, Ian."

Ian bowed and smiled. "What gentleman would dare to be tardy when invited by Princess Teresa Hussey."

While they were exchanging pleasantries and going over the situation, I carefully observed her.

[Teresa Hussey]
Princess Knight.
Ambitious and unrestrained. Takes what she desires.
Secretly looking for someone to depend on.
Weary from the war and fatigued.

I dismissed the window and then examined her body. Well trained muscles, a sword and shield kept at her back. Faintly calloused hands... A beauty, true, but one that was far from a dainty princess.

Curiously enough, her eyes and hair were really a pink color, but natural. Not like it was dyed, but rather it fell together as if it was meant to be.

"...And this gentleman here is?"

I blinked, realizing that I was being addressed and opened my mouth to respond. But before I could, Ian responded for me.

"This friend here is a comrade who participated in the scouting of the Forest of Denial with us. He's an Earthling that graduated from the Neutral Zone during March this year."

"Oh..." Teresa paused. "Wait a minute? Hold on. If you're talking about this year, then he's only Level 1? And he participated with you in the scouting mission?"

Ian smiled but didn't say anything else.

Teresa looked at Dylan and the others, but seeing that they were quiet as well, shrugged and got off her horse. "Argh, whatever. Let's chat after we sit down first. I haven't caught a wink of sleep for the past two days, so... Ouch, even my butt hurts."

An unrefined vocabulary that clashed with her refined appearance.

That was what I noticed. But what I also noticed...

'Red and gold?'

Not the bloody red of imminent demise, but faint crimson thread interlaced with gold, connecting me and her. No, that wrapped around her but floated around me. Not quite connected, but close.

Was this the so-called red string of fate...? But then what was that gold?

Teresa sighed and then walked over to a nearby boulder. Afterwards, she beckoned for us to come over.

When we did, Ian opened his mouth and said, "It is truly praiseworthy that you have set off as soon as possible with a contingent of elite troops, but the Parasites have been making a mockery out of our expectations every time. If they are using radio wave interference to block the communication, then we do need to hurry, but you must consider the possibility that the fortress has already fallen."

"I know that." Teresa nodded and said, "That's why we're climbing up the Dawn Peak first."

"In that case, I shall follow. However," Ian said. "What are your plans if it's the latter situation?"

"That's..."

Strategy talk. Things that didn't matter to me.

Since it was like that, I focused more on myself. Specifically, the current problem I had with my body.

I hadn't dealt with it since the incident at the tomb, but the problem was that I still needed a way to accommodate for my body when I used abilities. My energy was too much for it to handle. To that end, I needed to either remake my body or find a way to keep that energy in check when I needed it.

The first option was already in process. Through the continuous purification, it was only a matter of time until the balance came to be. But that 'matter of time' was likely months out, if not a year. And knowing what would happen until then, it would be a bad idea to rely on that.

Divine Elixirs... While those were supposed to increase a rank in stats, that wouldn't work on me. First of all, my current stats were a result of my own actions, not through relying on the blessings by the gods. If I tried to overlap those powers, it would just tip the balance even worse.

In that case... Maybe a stabilizing item or elixir? There should be something in this world that was miraculous enough to resolve it. After all, there were those Prihi's tears that could regenerate and restore mana circuits.

But I had a feeling that wouldn't be enough either. My situation was fairly unique, after all.

Then... A counterbalance. My mana sword served well enough when I was holding it, but I had to assume I might get disarmed or have to switch weapons at some point.

In that case... Wait. The Proof of Castitas was a thing, right? An accessory that could store holy spells...

No. That was still external.

I had to deal with it internally.

Then... A 'short circuit'. I needed something like that. The problem was I didn't have a valve at the moment to handle the excess.

It was like shoving water through a glass pipe at high pressure. Of course something like that would shatter. Then, I just needed something to offload the pressure. Alternative means for the flow to travel.

Well, mana was what people usually used... so maybe a secondary mana core?

The energy core I had was a black hole, a destructive and all-consuming singularity. While I could freely draw out energy from it, because of the density, it was on the level of countless nuclear bombs. A literal megaton of energy.

In that case... how about a star orbiting it? A mana core...

In fact, maybe a small cosmos? Since it wasn't possible to fully utilize the black hole right now, some smaller and secondary places...

Two counteracting stars. No, to make a balance, a trinity was necessary.

Lightning... That was good. Ice to quell and cool things down. And then metal to ground the lightning.

Elements that were symbiotic and didn't clash.

Carefully drawing and synthesizing those mana attributes and forming those mana stars...

[Innate ability: Tribulation Mana Star formed.]
[Innate ability: Orihalcon Mana Star formed.]
[Innate ability: Nihil Mana Star formed.]

A trio of messages informing me that it was successful. Though, the names were a bit concerning...

"Look at this guy, spacing out when all of us are being so serious." Chohong looked at me and shook her head.

I blinked and realized that Teresa had left.

Dylan shook his head and said, "Seol probably has a lot to think about. This is an important situation, after all."

I ran back the conversation in my head that I half listened to.

Teresa asking Dylan and Carpe Diem to join. Refusing at first, but conceding after she said they wouldn't be forced to do the impossible and were free to retreat.

And then...

"Anyway," Dylan said. "Seol I'd like to ask you for a favor."

I blinked. "A favor?"

"Right. We'd be grateful if you returned to Haramark and safely guarded our loot. Until we return, of course."

Ian let out a toothy grin, a clear sign of approval.

But-

"I'm going with you."

"Nope." Dylan shook his head. "If you're thinking of your loyalty to the team or about your feelings, then let me tell you this: You've done more than enough already. As incredible as you are... You're still a level 1." He looked at me with a level gaze and said, "You have a brilliant future ahead of you. Right now... There's no need to participate in a war yet."

I frowned. "Did you think I'm going to be a burden?"

"Of course not!" Dylan shook his head. "After all, we all know how incredible you are. But-"

"No buts. I'm going. And even if you refuse... Well, I'll just go anyway. You can't stop me, right?"

Dylan sighed.

Ian laughed and slapped my shoulder. "And you were worrying about being a righteous man, Jihu." He looked to Dylan and said, "Why not let our friend tag along? He's definitely capable enough."

"Still-"

Chohong sighed. "Look at this kid." She turned to me and said, "Hey, are you saying that for real?"

I nodded. "Of course. While I'm not bloodthirsty or stupid enough to think that war is glorious or anything..." I frowned and stared off into the distance where Teresa vanished. "I've... got a feeling that I'm going to be dragged in sooner rather than later. So before then, I'd like to at least get a look at things with my own eyes."

Whether it was dangerous or not. But more importantly... Whether my fate laid there or somewhere else.

"Haah." Chohong shook her head. "I suppose I should have expected as much."

Hugo laughed and walked over to me. "This is why I like you so much, Seol!"

Resigned but bright smiles. And then, we were off.

xxx

Dawn Peak. Ironically enough, when we joined up with the Princess's forces and marched out, we arrived there at dusk, the opposite time.

A mountain standing tall all by itself, dyed in the fading light of the sun. That was the place where we were headed.

But more importantly...

"So that's how it is."

I muttered as I gazed out at the horizon.

Bright orange, not from the light, but from my 'eyes'. Giant bugs flying everywhere. 'Cockroaches' and a 'Medusa'.

And below, the fortress built along the undulating bedrock that was eight meters high along its walls... had been breached.

Although the soldiers were desperately defending, it was clear that the situation was hopeless.

But more than that...

'Blue?'

Another vision.

Teresa, lying on the ground, her hand reaching up to the sky.

Countless soldiers dead all around her.

The tide of Parasites overrunning the fortress and then going towards Haramark...

I blinked.

That... Was that what would happen if I didn't intervene?

An argument was sounding out nearby. A man trying to convince Teresa to retreat, or barring that, attack the Medusa by herself.

But he didn't realize it. They didn't realize it. This was the turning point.

If this fortress fell...

I turned around and walked towards Princess Teresa.

"Hm?" The man looked at me.

"Wait, Seol!" Chohong called out and chased after me. When did she get nearby? Whatever.

I focused on Teresa and said, "Hold on."

"What?" She turned to look at me. Her gaze was sorrowful but determined.

Of course. She was going to do what the others didn't.

Right. She was that type of person.

"This is too dangerous."

Her face twisted, but she smoothed it and said, "Damn it! I know that! But we can't afford to waste any more time!"

I nodded. "True. But... Even if you succeed, your combat force will suffer significant losses. And it'll be the same with you as well, Princess."

I could see it. That vision... It was the result of it. Of her winning the battle but losing the war.

The man marched over. Angry at my intrusion, he opened his mouth and said, "Who the hell are-"

"Stop." Ian raised his hand and interrupted him.

The man froze and shut his mouth.

Ian turned to me and said, "Jihu. From the way you say it, you must have thought up a better plan."

"I did."

"In that case, allow me to ask you a question." Ian stared at me and said, "Warfare is quite a different beast from expeditions. You see, as a strategist, you're risking hundreds and thousands of lives if we're talking about a small scale, and hundred of thousands, even millions, in a greater scale conflict." He was quiet and then said, "Are you aware of this fact before trying to offer up your strategy?"

"Of course." I looked at Ian and said, "You should know by now, Ian. When I act, it isn't without contemplating the outcomes."

"I'm aware. However, you..." He trailed off and then nodded. "Mm. I've witnessed your capabilities and insight. But still, I have to confirm. Are you certain your plan is worth a shot?"

"I am- Ah. But first..." I thought about it and said, "Ian. Can you cast a spell to sever a cliff and drop it below? Like a localized tremor."

He paused and then started blinking non-stop. "Friend. You couldn't be thinking of...?!" He stopped and said, "I can. But to execute such a thing...!"

"Good." I looked to Teresa and said, "Princess. Do you have a map of the valley?"

She looked at me with confused eyes, but she quickly regained her composure and nodded. "If it's a map, yes. I obviously have it."

She took it out and unfurled it on the ground.

As I scanned it, I used general observation to confirm. And then I nodded. "Here, here, and here." I tapped on thin lines, paths leading from Dawn Peak to the fortress.

The man leaned over and laughed. "That's bullshit! And here I was wondering what kind of tactic you might come up with, but if that qualifies as a plan-"

Ian glanced at him and said, "Excuse me, fella. Do you know what an egg of Columbus is?"

"H-Huh?"

"Well. If you don't know what it is, then just stop." Ian silenced the man and looked over at the others.

Dylan hummed, deep in thought. After a bit, he said, "The plan is pretty simple, I see. Since the Parasites don't know we're here already, we should use that fact as a weapon. I get that. However, even then, the odds of success is near zero."

"But it's worth trying!" Teresa hurriedly spoke up and said, "Will it be impossible even if it's you?"

Dylan frowned. "Yes. If we're talking about a High Ranker Archer who raised their agility to the limit, it might be doable, but-" He froze, realization in his eyes.

I smiled.

Dylan stepped back. "No. Seol, you can't-"

Chohong's eyes widened as well. She rounded on me and said, "Don't be a hero, idiot! Even if you're that fast and have that earring-"

"I can do it." I nodded and said, "Besides... You guys haven't seen my limits yet."

Hugo frowned. "Even if that's true, man, this isn't the time to show off."

Ian looked just as concerned. But he also seemed thoughtful. Staring at me, he said, "Can you truly control that?"

"Easily. But the clincher will be you." I smiled and said, "Can I trust my back to you, friend?"

Ian was quiet, and then a broad grin spread on his face. "Well now, if my friend Jihu is relying on me, I'll just have to live up to his expectations, won't I?"

"Master Ian!?" Chohong exclaimed and then she looked at me. "You... Argh! Whatever!" She threw her hands up and said, "Go run into your own death, you damned son of a bitch! See if I care if you die or not!"

She stomped off.

Seeing that, I said, "Hey! If I live, you owe me an apology!"

She turned her head back and scoffed. "If you live, I'll call you Oppa until the day I die!"

Was it because she was irrational from anger and fear?

"I'm holding you to that!" Either way, I shrugged. It was an easy take, after all.

She flipped me off and ran off.

Teresa looked at me, uncertainty in her eyes, and then she turned to Ian. "Master Ian? Is it... Possible?"

He laughed. "If it's our friend here, rather than possible, it's inevitable. In fact, the problem would lie on our side." He turned to Teresa and said, "Are we willing to take advantage of the opportunity it would provide?"

"That's..." She looked uncertain and then turned to me.

I stared back.

"You... May I? May I truly entrust it to you?"

I grinned. "It's fine fighting and all on the frontlines princess, but at times like these, you have to sit back and let other people fight for you too, you know?"

"Huh?"

I brushed off my pants and then handed my bags over to Ian. "Take care of this for me, alright Pal? I don't want to accidently lose stuff."

Ian took it, solemnly nodding. "I expect you to come back for them."

I waved and walked off. "Don't worry about it. I'm still looking forward to starting a team together, so I can't die yet now, can I?"

Ian's eyes widened, and then he smiled. "Yes... That's true, isn't it?"

I walked past Dylan and nodded to him. "I'm entrusting you with dealing with the small fries later. Good luck."

And then I was off.

121