Ch. 3: First encounter…? Eh?
47 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a long amount of travelling, I finally spotted a monster, I'm not sure if there's any place within the forests they appear in, but if there's one on the road, it's more dangerous... Considering it troubles even travelers though... I guess my best attempt would be to kill it stealthily? I'm not necessarily an expert, but I've done enough surprising things in my life that I've been told to stop sneaking on people... specifically my friends anyway.

I look around and hide behind the nearest tree, moving around bushes and occasionally peak at the goblin's location... It seems to be looking for something, so it should be easier for me to- *Crack*... Oops... before the goblin looks towards my direction, I duck behind the bush I was peeking over and slowly made my way towards the tree next to it while being careful of the branches on the ground... at least as careful as I can be, since I ended up stepping on a few more, alerting the goblin to my location...

'It's fine, it's fine, I should be able to get an attack in first...'

I hide behind the tree, peaking just enough to see the goblin looking around, and when it turns the opposite direction. I step out and swing my sword over its head trying to split it in half... which somehow works enough that my sword is stuck in the goblin's body... but here's the problem. It's still moving! I back away as soon as possible while being forced to leave my sword inside the goblin... there isn't any logical reason for it to be moving, but the split-head goblin turns around and looks at my direction. Just when I got ready for it to attack... it fell over and disappeared while sticking my sword into the dirt.

"Isn't that anti-climactic though... what's the point of letting it move a few seconds just to eventually fall over..."

While I was questioning the development's decision, a screen popped out in front of me saying "Condition unlocked." ... I don't know what it means but right after that my quest was somehow completed... I thought I was supposed to stop multiple monsters, not a single goblin on the road... I also leveled up, which... makes sense, I guess?

Quest Completed: {Food shortage in the Town of Initium}

Reward: 1 Gold piece, 5 Silver pieces, Savior of Initium

... While I'm still confused about how the quest was completed, my vision suddenly blacked out and I reappeared inside the town shortly after.

'What even happened...'

A notice was put in front of me, stating that normally there's a death penalty, but due to the title: [Savior of Initium] You will be exempted from any future deaths. What's upsetting is apparently I'm the first one to die since the server feels a need to make an announcement about it. I don't even know how I died either! Guess it is my fault for not paying attention afterwards though.

Server Announcement: Player "Verin" is the first player to both die and clear a quest! They have been rewarded with the title: Unorthodox Prior to being the first to figure out the method of obtaining quests. The Cassopedia has also been updated to help players within the server. Player "Verin" is also the first to have obtained 2 or more levels simultaneously rewarding them with the title: Experienced Only the last of the remaining 9 who obtains [Experienced] will be announced!

Lvl. 3 [Demi-Human] "Verin"
Class: Warrior[Condition Unlocked.]
Sub-Classes: None
STR: 5(+1)  DEX: 5(+1)  AGI: 5(+1)  INT: 5
VIT: 5  CHA: 3  LUK: 5 
Stat points available: 4
Titles: [Savior of Initium] [Unorthodox] [Experienced]
Skills: None

[Inventory] [Cassopedia] [Map] [Unknown]

Well... I guess I might as well see what was added to Cassopedia ... Titles? Do you really need a category for titles? It's pretty simple to remember they give boosts but okay... Quests were also added but it doesn't explain a thing about how to obtain them. What's the point of giving the category if you won't explain anything...

[Quests]: To obtain quests, you must interact with NPC's. Although in a different way than most are normally used to. Each NPC may have a quest, you just have to lead the conversation, and you have a high chance of starting a quest, at least that is assuming you meet the qualifications. Reputation may affect whether an NPC will have any form of conversation with the player.

What does it mean "different way than most"? That literally... does not explain a thing. Who even writes these descriptions anyway... whatever... I can buy some decent stuff so I might as well get some armor and a better weapon so I can at least chop through a goblin's whole body... Not that I really need to, but why not? I get up and close the menu that provides irrelevant information to getting quests and look for an equipment shop... although for some reason I have gathered a lot of attention and every person around me is either staring or fawning over me like some hero... Okay, maybe the reason is because people are fawning over me... but why am I being fawned over...

Extra Notes:
[Savior of Initium]:
The savior of Initium, the town known for new appearances of outworlders who fight and protect "mankind" from harm. It's only appropriate that an outworlder who realizes this towns worth will be respected highly for saving the town.
Effects: Highly increased reputation with the citizens of Initium and immunity to the effects of the death penalty.

[Unorthodox]:
A person who has opened their eyes and interacted with Cassovia's inhabitants in a different way than traditionally.
Effects: Quest rewards will be worth 1.5x in the case it's a reward that can be increased(currency, exp, etc)

[Experienced]:
One of few who have dared to progress more than they should and succeeded in doing so granting them an appropriately favorable reward in return.
Effects: All experience gain and progress towards unlocking conditions are increased by 1.5x

(Also for those who have seen the series: Eden of the Eclipse. Yes, the announcement of "first death" was inspired from it... I don't really plan to go for any comedy approaches though)

2