Ch. 5: NPC’s? You mean they aren’t actual people?
33 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I looked at the time, it was around 11 PM, which is generally around the time I start going to bed, so I logged out and took a light shower before changing into my sleepwear, while doing so my phone was making repeated notifications... Which is slightly annoying. I don't have a great guess but it's probably just something about the game... I don't think they have much of a reason to do anything outside of sharing information about games they play. Maybe I would get involved in that talk someday... I can't say my information on anything is really helpful but who knows, maybe they can find something nice about what little thing I say. A few of them are information maniacs after all. I pull the blanket over myself and somehow fell asleep to my weirdly harmonized phone notifications being constantly interrupted...

When I woke up the next day at about 7 AM I took my phone and well... looked through the few hundred of notifications I received while asleep and the biggest summary of it all... was when I was going to respond and ultimately tell them how I figured out how to get quests. The problem however... how do I explain to my friends I have absolutely zero idea how I obtained the quest in the first place... It sounds like a huge pain to even think about right now. So maybe after I make breakfast and stop starving... I'll try and brainstorm a way to respond then.

I put slices of bread into the toaster pondering about how I can really give an idea... Overall I was just speaking to a shopkeeper and asked why prices were higher... Which somehow led to me getting quest notice after he finished telling me the reason... Oh. That's how I did it. I didn't know quests were triggered by interacting with other people though.

Games are pretty interesting... kind of makes me wish they told me the details before so I could've experienced this earlier. I won't complain about having the chance to use VR and have fun at the same time though. I opened the messaging app and started typing and just waited for them to respond. A lot of them aren't up during this time... mainly because they choose to stay up really late for some reasons. While I put some jam onto my toast I looked at my phone that made a "ding!.." noise.

 

Me: I was talking to a shopkeeper and they told me the reason prices were rising which triggered a quest... Why didn't you guys tell me that games were so interactive?

Hane: ... you're telling me, well us, you spoke to an NPC like another person?

Me: NPC?

Hane: NPC, non-playable characters. This is the first game where those type of characters speak naturally without a script you know?

Me: ... Huh?

Me: So do quests not trigger with other people?

Hane: No, not unless the game lets you make your own quests to give other players along with an appropriate reward for completion. The closest you're getting to a "quest" is just gathering materials for your craftsman players which they make equipment in exchange.

Me: Okay... thanks for the information I guess.

Hane: Why are you thanking me? You're the one who gave us the method to start doing quests. Although the community still can only get the obvious ones... Yours seem more like a subtle thing.

Me: Is that so?

Hane: I'm pretty sure you're the top level player. One quest and already level 3? This game has a huge exp gap in between each level you know... can't believe a person who's playing a game for the first time is getting ahead of us...

Terny: WHAT??? NO WAAAAAYYYYYY. IM STILL LEVEL 1 AFTER KILLING LIKE 100 MONSTERS??? Oh. Caps... Either way, quests are more relevant than they sound huh...

Misu: Sounds like it...

Hane: Misu? You haven't spoken here since like a year ago, what happened?

Misu: Work... Why do you think

Me: At least you're more productive than the other 3... Plus Terny.

Terny: Hey! Don't trash me just because you got ahead early on the game!

Me: This isn't even related to the game though...?

Hane: You are pretty unproductive most of the time... You only ever spend time acquiring game knowledge and it's a problem because that's the only thing you take seriously.

Misu: How are you even living that leisurely...

Terny: So it is about the game!

Hane: But also pretty stupid outside of that

Misu: I can't believe you graduated...

Terny: School is school! My life is my life! Different things!

Me: Yea... if it wasn't for the fact you begged me to help you study, you would still be in school 5 years ago

Terny: I was not that bad!

Me: Do you even remember what I helped you with?

Terny: No! Why should I?

Me: My point exactly...

Misu: I'll just... go

Hane: Yea... I'll play some more today as well

Misu: Mhm...

Me: I guess I'll see you two in game... Maybe Terny if he isn't lost in the forest. You suck at navigation especially.

Terny: That's in the real world! I'm amazing at navigating in the game!

Me: ... Okay, I'll help you if you need some pointers.

Terny: Besides worst case scenario, I just get killed by a monster and I'll be back in town!

 

I'm not trusting him with navigation at any point... not with that response. Sure, it works... but the death penalty would get in his way and the only reason it would work for me is because of my title. Honestly... he hasn't changed even after all those years. I wonder what job he got that lets him continue gaming pretty much every day... It sounds like it also pays an unreasonable amount if he has that much free time after it.

I get up and lightly washed the plate I ate my toast on, cleaned the butter knife off before looking at my calendar. It is an off day today, although the only difference is I'm not just putting things into a scanner and then calculating the total. It is a pretty cozy life since I don't spend a lot of money while living alone anyway. With the off day in mind though... I'll play a little bit more, well. It's more enjoyable than what I usually do and all I really need to get off for is lunch and supper... yea... I think playing Cassovia all day is a valid and enjoyable option.

I put the minor dishes into the drying rack, went upstairs to log in again. Maybe this is that addiction that people talk about... or is it that addictions become part of your daily life? I mean, people do daily practices for a reason... I can't say adding a severely different type of "practice" makes a heavy difference, games tend to be a stress reliever for some, but I think I have an easygoing life where that stress isn't going to need much relieving.
I made sure to lay on my bed comfortably before starting up the game through a sort of augmented reality function, and my consciousness slowly drifted away...

1