Chapter 2 “Red Zone”
124 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

An orange lit landscape greeted the expedition team as they exited from the icy tunnel that ran through one of the smaller glaciers on their path to outpost Arrowhead. It had been about a week since they set off and entered the "red zone". A zone, that was a by-product of the tidally locked planet, is painted in a constant spectrum of red, orange and yellow colours while being plagued by fierce storms due to warm and cold winds meeting.

The red zone is also considered the biggest hurdle to being able to explore the old world. With the current level of available technology, building connected infrastructure and transporting materials in big amounts is made impossible by the slowly shifting glaciers and destructive storms.

"Alright men, listen up!" Argard shouted over the howling winds. "No more than five kilometres out from here is outpost Bulwark. You all know the drill. Stick close to the man in front of you and make sure the rope is always connected. Otherwise, you will get lost in the storm."

After another minute of preparing, the line of 17 people set off. All they have to orient themselves with is their compass and the metal poles marking the way.

The sideways blowing blizzard wind tugged at them as they traversed, slowing them down. It took them an hour until they saw something blinking through the orange-tinted blizzard fog.

At the front of the marching column, Argard squinted his eyes under the thick glass face shield. "There we go. The blue light of Bulwark. We're no more than a few meters away."

Sure enough, after walking a few meters more, the slight outline of a bunker entrance became visible, with a blue lightbulb blinking above the metal bunker door. Like all major outposts, Bulwark was built on a thermal vent, giving the outpost the energy and warmth it needed to largely sustain itself.

As Argard arrived at the door, he started to turn the warmed metal opening mechanism and slowly pulled it open. The 17 people huddled inside of the airlock and closed the door behind them. After waiting for another 10 minutes to let the air warm up, Argard opened the second door. A calm and warm atmosphere greeted them as they walked through it, meaning the team could finally take a break. While most of them immediately went to the newcomer barracks to undress and take a warm shower, Argard walked further down to meet the outpost commander.

After a cramped flight of stairs, Argard knocked at a door with the description "Outpost Command" written upon it. The door opened moments later, revealing the station commander in grey cargo pants and a grey turtleneck sweater. A pair of round metal glasses sat on his nose and a set of unkempt short black hair topped his head.

The two grinned at each other and both gave a lazy military salute. "My god Argard. You fucker are still alive? Didn't see you out here for years now!"

"Don't be so dramatic now, Emilan. I was only out of service for a while." Argard slapped Emilan on the side of his arm. "Now let me in, I'm here with a full expedition."

"Fine then. Leave the coat and boots outside and make yourself at home in my humble abode. Like usual." Emilan shortly pointed at a clothing hook next to the door, went back inside the room and sat down on the seat behind his desk.

"Don't mind me then."

Thanks for reading.
I added a new glossary entry to check out. Clarifying how time works for the people on this planet.

2