Stage III, Chapter XXVIII: Pangolin, Wrrrr
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Road to 400 readers, let's go

Not wanting to waste time, Kenneth and the rest soon started running through the mist. 

Wherever they went, the light from the sun and Lena's would instantly evaporate the surrounding mist and allow them to see the area in front of them. 

The first ore vein was not too far away. The glimmering orange shine that Kenneth had spotted earlier already allowed him to make a mental note on where its rough location was. 

So it only took ten or so seconds until they had found it. 

The wall of stone in front of them was quickly broken down to pieces, with Lucas striking tirelessly on the ores to get them out. 

They were practically planted on the stone, and were difficult to get off. 

Fortunately, after hacking away at the stone, Kenneth saw the cracks on it beginning to form. That caught his attention. 

Weathering, was it? A concept that he had learned back when he was younger. And coincidentally, the person who could willingly start and finish the process was right here!

Aurelia, who understood it as well, drew closer to the stone, and planted her seeds inside. With a swift chant of her Overgrowth, the seeds began to rapidly grow. 

It was too fast. In the blink of an eye the plants had expanded to more than a hundred times their size.

And it looked like they could go even further. The stone was about to burst from the pressure!

Unable to handle the plant ripping it apart, the stone finally crumbled, revealing the orange ore that lay beneath its rocky husk. 

Small. But dangerous. The Hellnite had instantly burnt the hand of Lucas, who had reached for it. 

It was dropped on the soil, gradually releasing its heat. 

"I've seen this before. Now that its been removed from its original spot, there's no longer any heat to keep it hot. So it'll eventually cool itself down after releasing all the stored heat inside it." 

"We need to find a way to store it properly." Aurelia stood over the gem, her gaze threatening to start a fire on it.

"I've got my Dimensional Storage, but we need to find a way to actually get it off the ground." 

Inside the Dimensional Storage, time does not pass. Anything inside does not age, rot, or spoil. 

Too good to be true, was the first thought Kenneth had when he received his. It had turned out that these things weren't as large as they needed to be. 

A limited amount of space. Kenneth didn't store a lot of things in it, other than some necessities, so he figured he could store it in there. 

"Oh, I've got an idea!" Lucas, not even bothering to confirm it with his siblings, put on his gauntlets. 

He raised his hands, and struck the ground with his fists. 

At first, Kenneth and Aurelia questioned his sanity. Why was he striking the ground?  

He did it with such confidence that instead they just shut their mouths and let him do his thing. 

After a few seconds, they realized what he was doing. 

Lucas was punching a part of the soil around the gem. Large enough that it could carry the Hellnite, but small enough that it could fit inside the Dimesional Storage. 

"That was smart, I'll admit. Here, place it in my storage." Kenneth saluted his brother, who had actually managed to think of something smart for once. 

 "Even as I touched the soil, it was pretty warm, so be careful. I'll do the same for the rest." 

After signalling to Lena above that they had obtained the first batch of Hellnite, the group continued on. 

"Bad news. I sense something in the mist." Kenneth had suddenly stopped the group. 

"What is it? Perhaps a horde of unruly monsters, my lord?" 

"No, its only one. But I can tell. This thing is definitely tougher than a horde." 

Lena, sensing the cautiousness, took out a Mana Stone from her Storage. Soon her mana was restored, and her light shone even brighter than before. 

More of the mist had evaporated, and Kenneth barely saw it. 

Just as the mist disappeared, Kenneth took notice of a tail that had retreated. 

It was too fast, that Kenneth couldn't even see the rest of its body. 

Luckily, Aurelia saw it as well. Digging into her satchel, she took out a familiar looking seed, one that was shaped like a melon. 

It was a Leaf Blower seed. A plant she had used back when she was rescuing The Returners.

After quickly setting up the Leaf Blower, the air began to push on the mist, and the monster's true form began to reveal itself in the shadows. 

Its figure was that of an anteater. Yet, its whole body was scaly. Each scale was colorful, intricately designed. 

It could be described as a walking art piece. The clash of colors intervened with everyone's sense of thinking for a bit. 

But its shriek brought everyone back. It seemed like those scales were not for display only. It was clearly just as deadly a weapon as any blade. 

"Oh, what's it doing now..." Kenneth was the only one who wasn't distracted by the scales. 

A pangolin. These things were known to be harmless to humans. But when provoked, these things would curl up into a ball. 

This pangolin did the same. It began to inch itself together. Its flexible muscles gave it no trouble when doing so. And by the time they had realized it, the pangolin was now a colorful ball. 

It didn't look threatening at first, but when it began launching itself at them, they thought otherwise. 

Its size made it a force to be reckoned with. If it had been smaller, they would've been confident in dodging it, but it somehow retained its superhuman speed even when its size clearly was leaps and bounds bigger than a normal pangolin. 

Almost like a bowling ball, with spikes on it. This bowling ball began flinging itself at the Karman Krew.

It wasn't hard to dodge. The pangolin would point itself in the direction it was going to launch in. 

Until it didn't. Expecting a normal leap, the pangolin changed directions midair and launched itself at Lucas without effort. 

The spiky bowling ball crashed onto Lucas, who had thankfully raised his gauntlets to block it, but was pushed back. 

"Stop that ball, goddamit. Disarray." (Kenneth)

Everything soon felt weird for the pangolin. Just as it was about to launch itself again, it found out that... it couldn't.

Its senses were in disarray. Back was front, left was right, and up was down. Insyead of launching itseld at Lucas again, it flung itself into a stone wall. 

Aurelia used this time to restrain the pangolin with her vines, but they were easily cut through with the spikes on its body. 

Still under the effects of Disarray, plus an added Confusion from Kenneth, the pangolin was eventually put to rest with a single fist from Lucas. 

"Are all the monsters in this place this annoying? We have to hurry up." Kenneth groaned. He would not be able to handle another one of these... spiked bowling balls. Well, mentally, of course.

1