His Thoughts
983 3 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Volume I, Chapter 8: His Thoughts

Point of view (POV) for this chapter is Samuel Keene. It's sort of like a spin-off or side chapter, but it is cannon.

BTW, this is a pretty long chapter. There are sections to this chapter, some of it retells previous events but from Samuel's POV and some of it is entirely new.

 

His Thoughts Pt.1, Initial Impression:

The girl sitting next to me stares into space dazedly and flinches as the teacher, Ms.Acker, calls on her.

"So, Lady Ruelle, your answer?"

"I, uhh. Umm, I missed the question... may you please repeat it?"

"*Sigh* What is the difference between human bone density and that of dragonkin?"

"Erm... dragonkin have lighter bones... maybe." Her face grows red with embarrassment as she speaks.

"You may be seated." The teacher says and walks up to the blackboard whilst the girl, Ruelle, drops into her seat.

"Perhaps it was a lucky guess, but Lady Ruelle is correct. Dragonkin are large built so many assume they have denser bones that humans. However, their light bones, some even being hollow, allow them to fly."

I study my desk mate who has her head lowered as if trying to submerge it into the table. She seems too distracted by her shame to notice that the teacher said she was correct.

How could someone simultaneously be so knowledgeable and so foolish? She's practically the personification of an oxymoron.

Lady Ruelle raises her head and makes eye contact with me, pursing her lips nervously. There is a conspicuous red mark on her forehead from being pressed against the desk so forcefully.

After seemingly deliberating carefully, she introduces herself. "Greetings, I am Ruelle Hughes. I hope we can get along, desk mate."

Does she think that's why I'm staring at her?

"I know who you are. There is no reason for us to get along."

This person is completely lacking in awareness. And she's the type to readily offer useless 'friendship'. Many of my peers also try to seek connections with me. I find it bothersome.

"Well, we are desk mates. We share a desk and we'll probably be partners for any group assignments in the future. That should be reason enough."

"I will give my cooperation and nothing more."

"... Right, that's fine by me." Ruelle says with an extremely irritated look: her mouth, that isn't even attempting to smile, twitches and I see her subtly roll her eyes when she thinks I've turned away.

Most people do get offended when I reject them like that. However, they usually wear awkward fake smiles or they retreat feeling hurt and insecure.

On the other hand, this girl looks exasperated as if she just dealt with someone annoying or problematic, rather than rejection.

Strange.

***

His Thoughts Pt.2, Class Observations- Bedhead:

Ruelle has quickly, and unknowingly, become the class's main attraction. Our classmates noticed her strangeness shortly after I did, earning her a faithful audience.

I myself have gotten caught up in it too, joining them in observing her. At first I refused to waste time on something so unimportant, but the anatomy course has proven to be extremely boring and equally unimportant.

This morning, she waltzes in leisurely just a second before the bell rings. A segment of her hair is stiffly jutting out from the mass of her neat curls. It points upwards, astonishingly defying gravity. All of the other students are now also looking, fixated on the peculiar state of her hair.

Ruelle has her eyes nearly closed as she makes her way to our desk, it isn't surprising that she fails to notice all the stares she is receiving.

She doesn't even face me and within a minute of sitting down, she collapses face-first onto the table. A few members of the twenty-person audience gasp.

"Samuel, is she asleep?" Penelope, the girl from the desk in front of ours whispers.

I study Ruelle, a bit curious myself. Sure enough I can tell by the pace of her breathing that she is asleep.

"Yes, I believe so." I answer with a nod.

A few of our classmates giggle. "That bedhead is amazing!", someone comments, earning some chuckles of agreement.

"She seems exhausted, I hope she is alright." Penelope looks at her with worry in her eyes.

All of the attention directed at Ruelle, who is at my side, feels a bit uncomfortable.

In my other classes, I don't know the names of my classmates. But for this class, I've begun to recognize faces, names, seats, and personalities. This sort of environment is new to me.

Ms. Acker finally bursts into the classroom.

"I'm so sorry for my tardiness, the teachers conference lasted longer than expected." She sighs and shuffles her stack of papers at the stand.

"I'm here!" Ruelle suddenly jolts up, and shouts, the rebellious lick of hair straightening up in shock as if sharing her consciousness.

All the students, myself included, stare in awe at her, who has somehow fine-tuned her brain to recognize and awaken to Ms.Acker's voice. This strange mechanism is clearly useless though, since Ruelle mistook it as her attendance being called.

As punishment for obviously being asleep, Ruelle stands in the back of the classroom for the rest of the period.

***

His Thoughts Pt.3, Class Observations- The Letter:

Today the bedhead is completely gone but now there are distinct dark circles under her eyes, standing out on her otherwise pale face.

A raccoon!

"...A raccoon." Penelope mumbles and her desk mate, Henri, nods as Ruelle takes her seat glumly.

"Ruelle, what's wrong?" Penelope asks.

"It's my little brother. He sent me a letter and I was up all night worrying because of it."

"Your little brother?!" Henri says on behalf of everyone's surprise.

What would he look like?
A small raccoon.

"Baby raccoon!" Miriam from the third row gasps.

The whole class has strangely synchronized thoughts when it comes to Ruelle.

"Just read it!" Ruelle sighs and hands the letter to Penelope, the rest of the class quiets down to listen.

Penelope clears her throat and reads the letter aloud:

"Dear sister,

For some reason, Father believes that I am fond of you, and has suggested that I write to you. Now, I have to pretend to miss my sister and waste time writing this letter.

Firstly I'll tell you that you have atrocious handwriting. The note you left for me was barely legible so I threw it out.

The newspaper clipping you left for me was idiotic. Why would the murderer only stab the victim twice and in the stomach? Because of his foolishness, the victim was able to find people and tell them the murderer's identity before dying.

I cannot fathom why you would leave that article for me. If I found news entertaining like you did then I would also read the weekly paper.

P.S.
If I were to kill you, sister, I would be sure to finish you off properly.

Love,
Clyde Hughes"

The whole class sits silently, absorbing the starling content. Penelope pushes her spectacles up her nose and gingerly returns the letter. "Oh my, that's... hurtful. No wonder you were up all night."

I imagine Ruelle reading that letter for the first time: her expression would gradually become worse and worse as she reads each insulting line.

"Eh? Hurtful? No, I was up all night because of the weird part. He said 'Love'! He signed it saying love! And he called me 'sister' three times! He must be unwell, maybe he has a fever and wrote it in a haze... or maybe he was low on oxygen- his room should get better ventilation!"

I'm not even sure how to imagine her now.

***

His Thoughts Pt.4, Betrayal:

I was mistaken to think of Ruelle as a harmless source of entertainment.

Over the weekend, Father informed me of our engagement. He didn't even ask for my consent or listen to anything I said in response.

She must have misunderstood our relationship. She probably told Duke Hughes something like we have become close.

As usual I watch her, but I feel spite rather than amusement.

"Ok, I get it. Now please ease off me a bit, I'm under enough pressure as it is." She tells me directly, like she is staring right into my soul.

How did she know? How could she tell? Since when did she learn to read my expressions?

Suddenly, the girl I've considered to be extremely unaware of herself and her surroundings, has become a complete mystery.

I decide to have a fair discussion with her this evening to sort everything out.

***

His Thoughts Pt.5, A Different Kind of Entertainment:

Warning: brief smut content

Everything proceeds normally until Ruelle makes a unique proposition- claiming that she is capable of arousing me.

She is no longer my enemy, thus she may return to being as she was before: a peculiar creature worth observing.

"Hmm. I'm curious as to where that confidence comes from. Fine, you may try. Though I doubt your attempts will amount to much, it would be entertaining to see you try."

I guess this is a bit different from the usual observation that I'm used to, but overall it won't be unfamiliar.

I watch as she puts up her long red hair.

I've never seen her with her hair up before. Objectively speaking, it is attractive.

Her neck, which I haven't noticed before, looks slender and elegant.

Following the performative movement of her hands, I see her smooth skin and hint of cleavage.

So she's actually willing to go that far...

Any member of nobility at our age is well versed in social etiquette. A girl's skin is for only her husband to look upon. Modesty and purity are virtues that make a maiden desirable for marriage.

Revealing herself to me, does she consider me her husband? Is she doing this so that I won't be able to break of the engagement?

No, everything Ruelle said earlier was truthful.

She must be gaining something from this, I'm beginning to think she finds this pleasurable.

Without even noticing, I have become hard from her display.

I wasn't expecting things to develop like this, but now that it has...
I do want more.

For the first time in my life, someone is exploring my privacy. Whenever Ruelle touches me, she reveals places and pleasures that I didn't even know I had.

Then, she takes me in her mouth. A exploding sensation washes over me as I am wrapped in that hot, damp cave.

What is this anyway?

Sex is an act meant to serve the purpose of reproduction. Of course, neither of us want to do it to achieve that purpose, but as far as I know that's the only way to receive pleasure.

Shouldn't we be laying on a bed, I on top of her?

But the feeling of her taking me in and out and licking me with her soft tongue feels so pleasing that it cannot be incorrect.

She keeps teasing me and it becomes unbearable, I need more. My instincts take over and I find my self pressing her down onto me, shamelessly using force to keep thrusting her head.

I can't control myself.

It is a type of vulnerability that I have never experienced before. I'm diving into the unknown and it feels spectacular.

I try to warn her that something strange is happening, I feel like I'm about to explode. I expect her to move away, but part of me hopes that she stays wrapped around me.

Much to my horror and delight, she does. Ruelle stays put as I burst semen into her mouth.

"I drank it aallll up, just look!" She opens her lips and slightly sticks out her tongue to show me the spotlessness of her small mouth.

She really swallowed it all...

I cannot bear to look at her in my shame.

How could I make her consume something so vile?

But more than that, I look away to fight the strange satisfaction I feel growing inside me.

"I wanted to taste you, Samuel." Yet, Ruelle is pleased. She isn't just flattering me with empty words, I can tell from her mystified expression that she enjoyed it nearly as much as I did.

In fact, she wants to do it more in the future.

This could be a ploy to preserve the engagement, I can't let myself be swayed.

"Even though I want to annul the engagement? You still want to... even if I won't take responsibility?" I almost feel guilty for saying it, but it is what we agreed upon earlier.

Fortunately, she is on the same page and intends to still comply with my priorities. Since that is certain, I wouldn't mind having this type of relationship for the time being.

***

His Thoughts Pt.6, Classroom Observations- Glowing Girl:

This morning, Ruelle is especially awake looking. Her skin that is usually a bit pale and sickly has recovered color and a healthy glow. As the teacher gives instructions for today's lab, Ruelle sits up straight with alertness.

"Penelope, may I assist you with that?" Ruelle asks Penelope, who is attempting to open a case of lab tools with much difficulty, her case seems to be closed especially tightly.

"Eh? Ah, yes please." She hands the case over to Ruelle.

For the first time, I notice Ruelle's well-defined lean muscles on her partly visible forearm as she twists the top off with ease.

*CRACK*

"Oh... oops." The case held in her hand has been crushed into splinters.

"Lady Ruelle, I see you have a knack for making trouble, today as well." Ms.Acker bellows and once again Ruelle is forced to stand in the back of the classroom for the rest of the period.

So she's still foolish. It is strange to think that someone like her was able to do all that to me last night. At least she is following her word by not treating me any different under public eye.

Some people look at Ruelle, who is standing rigidly, with pity.

I am not like them. They are all slaves to their feelings- confusing a form of entertainment as a friend worth caring for.

I know how to separate things properly. Ruelle and I have a symbiotic relationship, one that we both know is temporary.

Out of the whole class, I am the only one who asses her properly- evaluating both her good qualities and her faults.

I recognize her potential for amusement as well as the convenience of her willingness to accept my goal of annulling the engagement. She knows her place and can also provide pleasing experiences.

Similarly, I notice her shortcomings. She lacks intention and focus; she is not the type to think far ahead. Ruelle has no long term ambitions, thus she has no future. In addition, she lacks awareness- a dangerous fault that will likely lead to her downfall.

This part of her is almost hard to pinpoint. Sometimes she shocks me with her intellect: randomly being able to read my expression, or effortlessly answering difficult questions in class by means of her inferencing skills rather than prior knowledge. However, these demonstrations of her insight are unreliable, appearing at random and having little overall significance. Most of the time, her intelligence is not present, and she fails to pick up on things.

Based on my evaluation of Ruelle, I have determined how to use her. While I am figuring out my father's reasons for accepting this engagement, I will allow Ruelle to give me enjoyment now and then- so long as she continues to behave like a stranger in public. Then, once I discover my father's motives, I will create and enact a plan to dissolve the engagement.

After that, I will never contact her again. While I will go on to become the next Prime Minister, I foresee a grim future for Ruelle. She is one of those distracted people that never stay around for long. Sooner or later, she will drift away, victim to her own carelessness.

But, just for a little while longer, before that time comes, I'll let her serve me.

Damn, how accurate is Samuels's assessment of Ruelle?
  • Meh, he got a few things spot on. Votes: 13 27.1%
  • Awful, he's completely off the mark! Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I don't know her well enough to say. Votes: 19 39.6%
  • He's wrong and he knows it! Man in denial. Votes: 10 20.8%
  • His analysis is very accurate... Votes: 4 8.3%
Total voters: 48
17