One unpredictable element…
44 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha and Co.


After a fitful night's rest, Kagome found herself nestled between her newly appointed boyfriend and best friend as they slowly walked across the grassy courtyard. It felt like they were headed towards a firing squad rather than the designated meeting spot and friends. She fought the urge to turn tail and leave.

Sesshōmaru must have sensed where her thoughts had strayed since his hand casually came to rest gently against her lower back while wisely whispering in her ear. "Running will solve nothing."

Running would be a better option than walking straight into the damn danger zone. "I don't think I can do this." She hissed under her breath, keeping her nervous gaze on her distant friends. Mentally, she so wasn't ready for this shit.

His hand circled her lower back soothingly as he tried to reassure her frazzled emotions. "You can, and everything will be fine."

All three knew that was a huge load of bullshit. It would have been fine if it weren't for the one unpredictable element, Inuyasha. If anyone was going to have a problem with them being together, it was going to be him. The teen gave an unladylike snort then snipped lowly in return. "No, it's going to blow up in our bloody faces. Like this." She motioned with her hands and made a sound of a bomb exploding.

Sango snickered at her dramatics while Sesshōmaru shrugged, appearing not to be bothered by the prospect of a confrontation. "Maybe, but we will not know unless be do it." He said before pulling away as the trio drew closer.

"Gee, that's reassuring." Grumbled anxious woman elbowing the brunette after she snickered one more time.

When they reached the waiting group, Inuyasha was the first to speak, his arms crossing over his puffed-up chest. He fiercely glared at the older yōkai before quickly shifting his focus to Kagome snarling. "What the fuck is he doing here?"

Lips pinching together in annoyance, Kagome forgot about her anxieties as she glared at her rude and obnoxious friend. "I invited him." She coolly responded, brows disappearing into her dark bangs while waiting to see what the brash idiot would say.

The hanyō's gaze narrowed in outrage. "Why the hell would you do that?" He snarled obviously not pleased that she had invited the other inuyōkai along.

The other people in the group groaned at the prospect of a brewing fight. "Who cares if he's here or not!" Kikyō came forward and yelled at the half-demon. His silver ears flattened against his skull as he huffed and thankfully stayed silent. Releasing a relieved sigh, Kikyō turned away the hanyō and gently smiled at Kagome. "Ignore him, please. Now, what was it that you wanted to tell us?"

The nerves that vanished earlier returned with a vengeance viciously twisting Kagome's stomach into a knotted mess. She eyed her waiting friends anxiously and tried to get the words to form. After several attempts, the vulnerable teen turned her almond eyes to the silent yōkai. His large hand moved to rest on the small of her back, causing her friends to stare at them curiously. Sesshōmaru leaned in to whisper in her ear. "Would you like me to tell them?"

"Tell us what?" Inuyasha broke his silence with a low growl while he suspiciously glared between the duo.

Kagome deliberately ignored the skeptical hanyō and jerked her head at his brother to tell him she was good to continue without help. The nervous woman timidly glanced at the group, her hands twisting the bag's strap as she took in a deep breath then spoke. "Sesshōmaru and I are dating." There it was out in the open and it felt like a heavy weight had been lifted from her shoulders.

Before she could relish the relieved feeling and like the couple had speculated, the agitated hanyō exploded like a powdered keg. "What the fuck?!" He snarled at Kagome. "How could you do that do me," He struck a fist against his chest before pointing at older inuyōkai "and with him of all people? Shit, the mangy wolf would be better." His head tilting in the direction of the wolf yōkai.

"Hn. Fuck you, Mutt face," Koga called out, sending the half-demon a rude gesture which was ignored by the enraged male as he carried on with his angry tirade.

Livid eyes narrowed as Kagome edged closer to the larger inuyōkai. "Inu, it just happened." She softly explained continuing to step back until she was slightly her boyfriend.

"Nothing just happens, bitch." Inuyasha sneered as he spewed venomous words at the petite female. "How long did it take for you to spread your legs for him?"

Her face flushed with color, and she could hear the surprised gasps from her friends and a vicious growl from the male in front of her. Sesshōmaru stepped forward, obstructing her view of the furious hanyō and his nasty glare while his tone sharpened like an edge of a newly forged sword. "Watch your words, half-breed."

The half-demon's fiery regard diverted from the trembling female to the older inuyōkai, hatred flooding his golden gaze as his lips curled up, baring his teeth. "Go fuck yourself! You gotta take everything that is mine, don't ya?!" He screamed, stamping his foot like a toddler throwing a tantrum.

An eye naturally began to twitch when he lumped her in as some type of possession. What was she a bloody piece of furniture or ramen now? She did not belong to him or anyone else for that matter. Kagome quickly peered around her hulking boyfriend and yelled at the odious hanyō. "Screw you, asshole! I am not yours!" She vehemently glared at the demon and dared him to continue.

Inuyasha's head whipped to her and snarled madly. "Fuck if you're not! You belong to me!" He cried, beating his fist repeatedly against his chest and glowering at her in possessive fury.

How dare him? Who did he believe he was? "I belong to myself, and I'm not some freaking possession!" She bellowed with all the rage that she suddenly felt.

"No," He snarked sarcastically, "now you're like those whores in the red-light district."

Before anyone could blink, Sesshōmaru's bag thumped to the ground as the demon lunged for the other. Sesshōmaru's fist connected with Inuyasha's jaw knocking the hanyō into the large border wall. Inuyasha was up in a second, shaking off the hit and leaping at the larger yōkai. They landed in the grass, both swinging their fists and rolling around on the ground wildly.

When Inuyasha managed to roll on top of Sesshōmaru, Kōga and Ayame took the opportunity to grab the irate hanyō and haul him off. Each wolf yōkai held tightly to an arm and quickly dragged him a few feet away to a safe distance.

"Let me the fuck go!" he cried with rage, trying to break free of the wolves hold.

Picking up his dropped bag, Kagome hurried to Sesshōmaru, who was now standing wiping off the blood that dribbled from his already healed lip. When she was in reach, he snatched the worried teen by the waist and pulled her in to kiss her fiercely. It made Kagome's toes curl, and a groan of pleasure escape between their occupied lips. The inuyokai kissed his woman a few more times before drawing back and carefully plucking the bag from her. He then tossed an arm over his dazed girlfriend and sent the half-breed a look of triumph.

This display of dominance only seemed to enrage Inuyasha causing him to throw profanities at the couple. "You fucking slut!" he screamed, still struggling to get away from the two yōkai. "Stupid cunt, you'll be crawling back to me when the bastard's done playing with ya!"

If she had hypothetically wanted Inuyasha in the slightest before, that was now chucked across the bloody ocean from his unexpected cruelty. Kagome vivid eyes glossed over, and her lashes fluttered as she tried keeping the tears at bay. Why was he talking to her like this? Inuyasha was supposed to be her friend. How could he do that to her?

Sesshōmaru looked at his younger brother in utter disgust, feeling both ashamed and disappointed at the dishonorable display. "As usual, spouting off things that you know nothing about." He commented sharply, trying hard to fight the urge to shove his fist in the little shit's revolting mug one more time.

The half-demon struggled to get away snarling wildly at the elder demon. "I know plenty about you, asshole!" Inuyasha sneered then spat at the ground.

"You know nothing, half-breed!" Sesshōmaru barked harshly and drew his trembling girlfriend closer, her face burying into his chest to hide from the hanyō's callousness. The inuyōkai's body vibrated soothingly in an attempt to calm the distressed female as his attention swung back to the brat that caused it. "Kagome is my girlfriend, and Pup, it would be wise to cease any claims you think you may have." The elder yōkai warned peering at the hanyō as if he was a thorn in his paw. "If you continue, then I will be forced to demonstrate why I am the heir of the west, and you are not."

Inuyasha rolled his eyes and taunted the older male. "What the fuck are you gonna do if I don't?"

A feral grin slid on the Inuyōkai's notable features, and his golden eyes sparkled as he happily answered. "Please, continue and find out, half-breed."

Inuyasha was the only one in the group that wasn't disturbed by the menacing threat. "Go fuck yourself!" He said nastily then proceeded to struggle in his friend's hold once again.

"You first." Sesshōmaru mocked cheekily. "Heed my warning, and Pup, if you ever talk to my woman the way you did today, I will make sure those dreadful vocal cords ours are ruined beyond repair."

His words seemed to set off Inuyasha and had him wailing loudly. "You won't do shit! She's mine, dammit! Mine!"

Unimpressed by the offensive outburst, Sesshōmaru ignored the half-demon and shifted his focus to the woman in his embrace. She was still clearly troubled by the cruel actions of the half-breed. He tenderly growled, attempting to soothe her distress. It caused the teen to stare up at him all wide-eyed faint tears trails marred her flushed cheeks, while her bottom lip quivered. The inuyōkai bent down to whisper words of encouragement before lightly kissing her temple. He pulled back and glanced over at the half-demon with a smug smile. "Correction Inuyasha, she is mine."

The fire of fury in Inuyasha's golden gaze blazed madly at the declaration, and his rash mouth started to run even more out of control. He twisted about trying to get away, spewing slanderous words leaving their friends to watch the shitstorm in utter shock.

Not wanting to deal with the brat any longer, the dog demon jerked his head in disgust. "We are done here." Retorted Sesshōmaru to the baka, who continued to yell obscenities at them. Turning away, he ignored the verbal abuse and carefully ushered his girlfriend in the opposite direction of the screaming hanyō.

After the massive blowout, it had been a rather uneventful day. Kagome had avoided Inuyasha as much as she could. When in class, she kept her distance and refused to acknowledge that the hanyō was in the same room. Not that it was a problem since Inuyasha had done the same.

Now at home, Sesshōmaru and herself were outside in the backyard of the shrine with Malakai. The toddler was playing on the new playset that his father had insisted on getting to replace the ancient one. The older yōkai had said that if his son was going to play on something, then it should be something that wasn't going to fall apart. Kagome would have been offended, but the poor thing was on its last leg. That playset had been around since her father had been little, so it was time for it to go. Her family, of course, had been sad to see it leave but was happy that a new one was going to be put to good use.

Kagome and Sesshōmaru sat at a picnic table facing the play area and their active toddler while they worked on their homework. Neither had the nerve to bring up the incident from this morning. Both worried that they would be upsetting the other if they did.

Chewing lightly at the end of her pen, she valiantly attempted to figure out the math problem in front of her. She had been distractedly staring at the same problem for several minutes but couldn't seem to focus. Her mind kept naturally drifting to the fierce fight and her failing friendship.

After several frustrated sighs from the petite teen, Sesshōmaru spoke up. "Is there something that you are not understanding?" he asked, nudging her lightly with a shoulder.

Oh, he thought she was having an issue with her homework. If only that were the case. It would be a hell of a lot easier if it were. "No, I get it. I'm just having a hard time concentrating." Kagome admitted with a sigh, intentionally dropping the pen on the table. She propped her head against his sturdy shoulder as her gaze moved to their active toddler, thoughtfully watching him swing on the tiny bars utilizing his yōkai strength.

The inuyōkai leaned in his, head touching hers as he hesitantly broached the subject. "Is it because of this morning?"

"Yeah…" Kagome sighed sadly, forcing a smile and waving back at their son when he noticed her attention was on him.

Reaching out, Sesshōmaru grabbed the hand on the table and gave it a squeeze. "How are you doing?" He asked, running his thumb soothingly across her soft skin.

"I'm okay." She said, shrugging her shoulders, and picking up the pen carefully doodling on the scrap paper. "My feelings are obviously hurt by the things that he said, but we expected that something like that could happen."

A growl shook them both as the yōkai commented. "Just because we expected that outcome does not mean it was right of him to say what he did." It was clear he was still angry about the emotional confrontation and fight.

"I'm not saying that, but he has every right to be mad." Kagome quickly responded with an emphatic shake of her dark head. "I did lead him on even if it wasn't intentional."

Scoffing, Sesshōmaru pulled away to look her in the eyes. "As you said in the past, you never encouraged any of his advances." He pointed out before carrying on with a sneer, "You did not lead him on, he led himself on."

Kagome sighed deeply, not agreeing or disagreeing with his statement, but instead admitted that he had been from the beginning. "Still, you were right, and I should have told him straight away that I wasn't interested, and none of this would have happened."

"When you showed no interest, he should have bowed out." Explained the inuyōkai, bringing her hand up to kiss her knuckles lightly.

If Inuyasha should have backed off, then Kōga should have as well. He did nothing of the sort and badgered her relentlessly about being his woman. "I showed no interest in Kōga, and he didn't bow out." She commented, cheekily chuckling her tongue.

"That may be true, but when I declared my interest, the wolf did not fight me on my claim. He told me that if I was who you wanted, then he would respect your choice," Admitted the dog demon looking rather impressed with the wolf yōkai.

After years of bloody chasing and claiming how much he wanted to be with her, the wolf back out that easily. "He said that?" asked the teen in disbelief.

Sesshōmaru shook his silver head with a reassuring smile. "He did."

"Wow." Muttered Kagome surprised that in the end, Kōga had acted like a true friend, unlike a certain hanyō. "Well, Inuyasha will never respect my choice, you and I both know that." She declared glumly, disappointed by the thought.

"If he can't respect who you choose, then not only is he an asshole; he is a shitty friend." Quipped the inuyōkai bumping her shoulder playfully before turning a watchful eye on their son.

'Shitty friend indeed.' She thought, resting her head against his firm shoulder while picking up the pen to finally figure out that damn math problem.

This was another short chapter, but this time I am happy with the result.

So, the truth is finally out there, and Inuyasha freaked as Kagome and Sesshōmaru had predicted. He was rather nasty to Kagome and deserved that punch from Sesshōmaru. I thought he handled the situation rather well.

Also, I've had people ask about Sesshōmaru and his relationship with his father. I have mentioned this before in chapter 8 that his relationship with his pops is not a good one. Sesshōmaru blames his dad for leaving and starting a new family with someone other than his mother. He also blames his dad for his mother dying of a broken heart. There is a lot of hurt and resentment, so Sesshōmaru will not be confiding in daddy any time soon.

Since this chapter was so short, I was able to get it out faster than I had anticipated. I don't know when I'll get the next chapter out, but I do have the dialogue done, I just need the details and it will be finished. I'll probably start working on it tomorrow.

1