Chapter 7 – To give up
1.1k 2 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(6 Months Later)

(Emma POV)

Over the past year I think I've fallen asleep more due to overusing my devil fruit ability than I have because I was tired naturally, but thanks to that I've had a lot of time to experiment with my fruit so I've learned some things that differ from what's shown in the manga.

For me to utilize my fruit to its full effect I have to create an area around myself or a designated object. At first, this area was small being about 3 meters but it's becoming exponentially wider the more I understand my fruit and use it, now sitting at 12 meters. I'm starting to see how Fujitora managed to pull a meteor down from space, something completely impossible for the current me.

The area I create works by effectively separating itself from the rest of the world's natural gravity but doesn't affect me or the object it's made around like a reference or anchor point to the world's natural G-force. But that also means that I can't activate my ability to make myself fly as I can't lower or raise my gravity. However, I can affect everything not tied down in this area with the same pressure at no added cost from a pebble to parts of a broken building. It seems it's not how heavy the thing is that makes me tired but the duration and how hard I push my fruits ability that tires me out fast.

However, If I don't create that field around myself the strength of my devil fruit takes a big hit effectively becoming half as powerful with the same strain on my body. But the second method allows me more diverse control over the objects, instead of only letting me slightly alter the trajectories of objects like within the created area, this allows me to move objects more freely like a form of telekinesis but I can't use this method along with the first, the strain on my body is too much to handle as the second method already increases energy use exponentially the further away from me, the more objects I'm affecting, and the amount of my strength I exude on them all so if I try to use the area with that Ill instantly blackout.

I tried a few times before my mom canceled my ability, not wanting to watch her daughter fall unconscious over and over again, forcing me to promise her not to try again until I could fight par to par with a vice admiral. I agreed to it although reluctantly but not because of the dangerous feeling I was getting from her, no, it was because I didn't want to worry her.

And then the big day finally came, I had been practicing for a while but never been able to keep my balance for long but then one day I was just able to walk normally albeit a little shaky but no more losing balance and falling over as I had been, but the very next day after that my dad came up to me with a scheming smile on his face and told me I'd start my strength training and that I was to join Robin but unlike her, I was given ankle weights to wear and told.

"Activate your ability on these to the point you can barely raise your legs then go out to the beach and run until you drop as you used to in devil fruit training." And just two weeks after I had started he once again came up to me but this time handed me a pair of one-pound dumbbells then said.

"After Robin carries you back on the ship, use these every other day starting today by activating your ability on these weights to the point you can barely lift them and then keep lifting them until you can't move your arms anymore, make sure to use both at the same time so one arm isn't stronger than the other." before walking off with a bouquet that appeared out of nowhere while calling for mom.

(Nico Robin POV)

After finishing all of the exercises that Mr. Gauge instructed me to do, from Burpees to walking lunges and sit-ups to push-ups while finally running around the island multiple times. It all still felt less tiring than what I had to do next and that thing always started with me saying.

"Come on, I've just finished my training, it's time for us to head back to the ship ". Looking at the collapsed child who is barely over a year old I started to grow hands all around her, pushing her up to stand and make it easier for me to scoop her into my arms.

"If I was a normal child I would have fallen in love already, imagine being a princess carried every day by someone so much stronger than yourself". Emma said with an exaggeratedly solemn face using one hand to cover her heart and the other to face the sky above her closed eyes.

"No, if you were a normal child you would be trying to eat the sand on the beach and then crying when the ocean tasted too salty after your third time trying it". I said plainly, trying to stop her teasing before it started, and then I had a plan to save myself from Emma's antics.

"If you're able to make jokes like this with such exaggerated movements then I guess you can get back onto the ship by yourself" saying this seemed to get what I wanted because she clung to my neck and then hurriedly said.

"No! Sorry I'll stop teasing you, I'm just trying to prepare you for the future. Also, I really won't be able to walk right now and I just wanted to use my arms before they're in the same condition." Then she continued in her regularly monotonous tone as if she didn't just perform.

"Besides you've grown immune to my teasing anyway, aye so sad I can't see that cute blushed expression anymore, but this is also a good thing because if your tolerance for this stuff is too low then someone I plan on trying to recruit in the future will have fun trying to turn you into a beet," she said before closing her eyes and resting her head on my shoulder.

'What does she mean to turn me into a beet, there's no way someone can make me that red even if they're teasing me, besi-' before I could convi...reassure myself that something like that couldn't happen to me, something blew on my ear causing me to jump from shock and then look at Emma.

"KYAKYAKYAKYA, sorry you may be book smart but not street smart, all I had to do was make you think I had given up to get you to let your guard down KYAKYAKY-" Before she could laugh at my expense any further I dropped her into the sand….but still made sure she wouldn't hit her head, and then walked off to the ship alone but behind me the entire way there I could hear the cries of help and that this was for my good but they were promptly ignored.

Back on the ship, Mrs.Geina was busy sunbathing while Mr.Gauge was going around the ship and repairing anything he might find off about it, but once he noticed me he stopped and asked.

"Where's Emma at? She won't be able to get back up here unless you carry her." Once he said this I thought about the current state before saying.

"She said she wanted some time alone to think about her plans for the future and to come back for her in half an hour." He looked surprised at that for a second before replying.

"Weird, normally she waits until she has finished all her training for the day to start using her brain for things. Something about her being naturally lazy and needing to turn it off to finish, strange but whatever works for her I guess." shaking his head with an exasperated expression he went back to fixing parts of the ship.

"Robin, how far have you come in controlling your devil fruit, come show me". Mrs. Geina said while taking off her sunglasses and sitting up in the chair she is on.

Walking over to her I started to activate my ability causing nearly one hundred arms to interlink with each other forming a makeshift hammock right next to her that I proceeded to jump into.

"Oh that's impressive, using arms to form objects, what else have you thought about?"

"I didn't have this idea, normally I just planned on using my devil fruit to try to disarm or at least heavily hinder my opponent before a fight even starts thanks to what Mr. Gauge had taught me but Emma gave me the idea to try and create things, the examples she gave me though were a giant net made out of arms and a giant arm made out of arms so I just went from there".

"JAJAJAJA, so that explains why you were once carrying Emma like a sack of potatoes over your shoulder instead of the normal princess carry." before I could go on to explain why I carried her like that Mrs.Geina continued.

"Speaking of Emma, her punishment should have gone on long enough by now, that sand must be hot in the middle of the day." After she said this she got up and bent over my face for a second before abruptly blowing in the same ear Emma did while at the same time making my devil fruit ability stop, causing me to fall to the ground while being flustered.

"So that's where she gets it from". I murmured, seeing the proud smile that showed up on Mrs.Geinas face after I said that I decided to give up on not being teased and hoped that the next crew member would be the target for it, instead of me.

Coming back to the beach I noticed Emma trying to crawl back to the ship in a hurry like her life depend on it.

"Why are you in such a rush to get back on the ship, you know I was going to come back soon". But before I could make a joke at her current state as payback she cut me off.

"I got so wrapped up in my new ability and then training that I forgot about a major event that will happen in the grand line in the next few months, we need to hurry to find and stop it before it's too late". After she said this she raised her arms in the air like a normal child her age would do when asking to be carried. While I was using my ability to once again make it easier to carry her, I inquired.

"What's the important event? I don't know the future as you so the pronoun game doesn't make sense for me". Just as she fixed herself snugly in my arms she explained.

"There is a slave ship that attacks a certain pirate crew, defeating most of them and capturing the younger girls who were still alive before escaping and then selling said girls to the world nobles." Acting like that describes everything that will happen perfectly.

"They can't be just any regular pirates if you know about them, right? Who are they and why are you saving them specifically.?" I felt I was still being left in the dark about the situation so I pressed her for more information by pretending to start setting her back on the ground, causing her to fastly spit out.

"A future warlord of the sea and a user of conqueror's haki like me, however, I only know the name of her home island, not exactly where it's located but I figure it's in the new world. We needed to cross that to get back to the north blue anyway so that's not a problem" Picking up where she wanted to leave off I said.

"Your right that's not the problem, what is though is the fact we don't know where to look exactly, do you remember anything else about the island?"

"Uhhhh, I remember there were a lot of sea kings near it and a shirtless man with flowing white hair". Emma said after thinking about it for a second with one hand on her chin.

"Good we can use that, ignoring the man, if there were a lot of sea kings around the island then it might be near the calm belt". I thought aloud which caused Emma to proclaim about how smart I am. But not letting her off the hook by only telling me as little as this I started to lower her again before she started to speak.

"Besides that, I know the name of the pirate crew, the fact that she sets sail this year for the first time and they also get captured by slavers within the next half a year give or take a few months, her name doesn't mean much to you but it's Boa Hancock, now if you would please Mrs.Detective".

After saying all this Emma made a mushing motion with her hands while having a playful smile on her face, causing my face to feel a little hot at how aggressive I was just acting before I noticed her smile widened even more.

This caused me to create a sack made out of arms and throw her into it before dragging it in the sand back to the ship all while humming to the tune of her apologies.

(A/N -I know this isn't how the devil fruit works in the anime or manga but it's not even described to be gravity that's just most likely the ability given what we've seen, I mean there was a point where the fanbase thought that the sword that Fujitora held was the one with the ability. So with this in mind I just made it what it is in this story.)

35