6 – An Item I Can Use
92 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This case was no ordinary one. It reeked of a strange aura, a peculiar feeling wrapped around Keristis.

His unseen eyes widened, it was definitely a weapon. Truthfully, he didn't think that his current spear was too bad even in spite of its dilapidated condition, it too didn't fair all the best much like Keristis' armour throughout the many years it had spent on that battlefield he woke up on. Its sentimental value was something he considered in high regard, the first weapon was always the starting point for his future endeavours because without it, he would've never even started.

Cosel proceeded to open the case, a blinding light shone through the smallest crack the moment the interior was exposed to the outside environment.

Aurelius gasped, it was impossible to tell if he was shocked or surprised,

"That's...!"

Cosel laughed, knowing that Aurelius caught on to his motive,

"Mhm, the Deviant's Path. A polearm said to be forged from the bones of a Bane Goliath and the spirit of another Summon."

The Deviant's Path, the name didn't seem to make sense. Surely, a deviant would not take a path seeing as everyone else would? Nevermind that, Keristis thought, it looked beautiful.

The first thing he focused on was its tip, a spiked metallic endpoint that was always meant for piercing attacks. Unusually, it was accompanied by a reasonably large blade that ran down the side of it, much like a halberd but the only difference was that the weapon’s offensive capabilities were mirrored. Both the blades and spikes were on each end, their silvery sheen made the light dance around it. The weapon had white vines that spread across its surface like it was overgrown. The Summon spirit could be seem radiating at the sharp tips of the weapon, it had a glint that was almost as if it was staring right back at Keristis — who was seemingly enamoured by the double-ended factor.

"It's yours, if you want it." Cosel offered Keristis to wield such a weapon. The fact that another Summon could possibly be inside the polearm made him wonder whether or not it would talk to him like the voice only he could hear. In one moment, the weapon seemed to reveal its capability at a first glance, just being a regular spear that could be compared to another in terms of functionality but at the same time it was one of the most mysterious things Keristis had known so far.

| You want to be careful of that weapon Keristis, its inhabitant is an... interesting one to say the least. | The voice warned.

So it was true, there was someone, something inside the Deviant's Path. The voice was aware of more than it let on.

Keristis took a long, profound stare at the weapon presented before him. He wanted the new, possibly more powerful spear but at the same time wanted to keep his current one. Aurelius seemed to notice the trace of a melancholic feeling from Keristis.

"You can keep both if you want."

His spatial magic levitated in the palm of his hand, a wide open void with a glimmering rim encompassing it.

Keristis nodded, and handed his old weapon to Aurelius who proceeded to make it disappear in the blink of an eye.

The Deviant's Path was drawn to Keristis. As soon as he let go of the other tool it jumped into his grasp. An unseen force had pulled it towards him and now he was armed again. The same purple flames that erupted from Keristis when he fought earlier had come back, this time even more fierce and wild; they spread all across his armour and as he tried to stab the air  with a practice swing the vines changed colour to match the flames.

< Greetings. >

In surprise, Keristis lost grip of the spear and it dropped to the floor, losing its violet colour in the process.

"You heard that too?" Aurelius' eyes were wide open, he was definitely as surprised as Keristis was.

This new world really liked to make voices emerge from nowhere Keristis thought. Although this new one could be hear by all. He picked the Deviant's Path back up and it regained its colouration.

"Eh, it is not a big deal. I wouldn't concern myself over it if I were you." Cosel remarked.

Aurelius sighed, smiled and looked to Keristis, "I guess its expected, another summon indirectly added to my small army."

"How many do you have now?" Cosel enquired, his built figure rising in his seat.

"If I include the spear, six in total. Although I haven't really needed to use more than one ever. I kind of feel bad for them sitting in the Rift for a long time." Aurelius' expression seemed to reflect his lamentation.

"Ha, I guess they didn't call you a prodigy for nothing. But isn't being in the Rift like sleeping? You sleep and it's as if the next day comes instantly, so there'd be no lapse in being released." Cosel exhibited his fairly expansive knowledge of Summon workings. He was no stranger to magic, being in the Skyhost Collective since its inception he had worked his way up the ranks that culminated in his current position as one of the administrators of Summoners. Throughout his employment he had seen many come and go, many unorthodox occurrences were either onset or resolved by him.

Aurelius agreed, "Yeah, I think so anyway. I've got a feeling that you've got something else for us, is it a request or something?"

"Your intuition is never wrong," the burly man chuckled, "it's a job only well-proven people such as yourself can take on."

"Then what is it? I'm dying of anticipation over here."

"September 7th, two weeks ago an intermediate group of Summoners were sent into the Blight Zone. It was noted prior that the specific area they were sent into was not too dangerous. You know, since they were only intermediate class they couldn't be taking missions employing certain death."

"Let me guess, they haven't returned? Simple search job, give it to someone else." Aurelius scoffed, he wanted something urgent that would test Keristis in a more sporadic environment.

"The zone is now classed as an Absolute Threat. Sightings of the infamous Deniran, Demon Spawn, have been reported. And yes, the group hasn't returned yet." Cosel spoke in an almost threatening tone.

"Deniran? The leader of Sundown Return?" Aurelius' expression turned to one of composed rage. The cold demeanour that was revealed earlier had returned.

Keristis had no idea who this Deniran was, but he had a feeling something was between Aurelius and him that had not been resolved. What ever it was, he would be fine with being the helping hand to Aurelius' benefit.

"Where exactly is this area?" Aurelius questioned.

"Let me just check, I think its just outside city walls but I can't always trust my own knowledge," Cosel joked and handed Aurelius a slip of paper, "it should be on the location it says here."

He swivelled his chair around to the other part of his desk. Atop it was a large book filled with deliberate scribbles, crossing-outs and rewritten information along with some crude illustrations of strange mechanisms and beings. To anybody else, the meaning of the words and pictures was non-existent but to Cosel it was clear to see, his own pattern and system which made sense to him and him only.

He gracefully flicked through the pages, each one turning into a blur of black and red ink as the paper turned with haste.

"Do you not have your information on your many devices?" Aurelius sighed and pointed to the multitude of devices behind him, monitors that displayed incomprehensible information to the average glance. Keristis admired the technology, or was it magic? He couldn't know for sure.

Cosel labelled each one, "That's the live feed from the area, and there's the readings from it. If I were to change to something else, I'd always be behind or would have to redeploy the scanners so I can't change the display."

"Is the process really that difficult?" Aurelius didn't expect it to be something not even Cosel would bother with. After all, the other administrators were always hot on their heels and doing something.

"It's impossible without Henla, she's the one who makes the scanners."

Given the knowledge that Henla was one of Cosel's Summons who could create nearly anything given the resources, Aurelius didn't know why she couldn't make something more convenient.

"Is something wrong?"

"Well, you know how I went out to survey the old cities that we're planning to rebuild when we clear the Blighted there?"

Aurelius nodded.

"I got ambushed by some rogue Summons, the entire place was overrun with them. She nearly died trying to protect me."

"Oh. She's still recovering then?"

"I feel like she's nearly back up on her feet, her summon bond is still fairly weak though." Cosel's expression turned to sorrow.

"She'll be alright. I can assure you if anything comes up you can rely on us." Aurelius smiled in an attempt to alleviate the sudden wave of sadness that swept the atmosphere. 

It sort of worked, the corners of Cosel's mouth upturned slightly.

"I'll be seeing you then, return safe or I won't be pleased with you."

"Don't worry about me, I've got Keristis with me." The Summoner laughed.

If Keristis could smile, he would be doing so right now. The two turned and walked out of the room.

< I'm looking forward to working with you both. >

A reluctant greeting came from the weapon.

4