07. New Adventure
309 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

New Adventure


The sun has just begun to set, leaving his orange hue on the horizon. A carriage with an arched white canvas on top, pulled by two brown horses can be seen trotting gently on the dirt road. It was a merchant cart, one that can you can normally you see passing this road.

“It’s going dark.” The coachman, an old man in his sixty, idly comments as he looks up to the sky.

“Hahaha, sorry you are in this situation because of me.” the man whos sitting beside him said with a weak guilty laugh.

The man with a young appearance, perhaps in his mid-twenty, with a medium height and with a rather skinny body. He has blonde hair and orange eyes. He wears a feathered hat and clothes that are reminiscent of the clothes worn by cowboys, even though they don’t exist in this world. From his appearance alone no one will believe that this man is in fact way older than the coachman. But there is a reason for that, and that reason is …

“Ah, no, don’t worry Kami-sama, is not your fault.” The old man said as he reassured him. 

Yes, the man who sits beside the coachman was a god. Hermes, known as the Massager gods.

“Emm, is it because of me, grandpa?” a soft, timid voice came from behind them.

Both men turn to see where the voice comes from.

It was a little girl, not even ten years old. She is wearing a white dress with a red cloak covering his body. In her hand was a grey dog doll which she hugged very tightly. As he tilts her head up, her short brown hair sways gently showing her big brown teary eyes at both men. 

“It’s *sniff* be-because of me playing …” she said while trying to hold her tear that going to leak. But she was stopped as a gentle hand pat her head.  

“Shhh, it’s okay.” The old man, her grandfather, said in a soft and calming voice. “It’s not your fault either,” he said as he gently pats her head.

“*sniff* re-really? *sniff*.” She asked.

“That’s right kid, it’s not your fault,” Hermes said with a chirpy voice and a smile on his face. “In fact, it was indeed my fault.”

“It was ...  yours?” She asked, confused.

“But of course!” Hermes exclaimed, “if only your grandpa just simply ignores me, who was tied in that tree, instead of helping me. Surely, you will not in this situation.” he said while making a dramatic painful pose to emphasize his word. “but alas, he chose to safe me. Ah, bless his soul.” he said while he braids his fingers hands together as if he was praying. “So you don’t need to feel guilt, okay.”

Captive by his acting she can only nod. Agreeing with his reason.

“Good girl, here take some candies.” He said while giving her candies which he take from his pocket.

She takes the candies from his hand and eats them. “Mmm, it. so. sweet.” she said while pinching both of her cheeks with her hands.

Hermes returned back to his position.

“Thank you.” The coachman said.

“Eh, don’t worry about it,” Harmes said while waving his hand in dismissing.

“But,” the coachman begins, “how do you come to that situation, to begin with?” he asked.

“Ahaha, it’s just my captain. She’s just a little overreacted that’s all, aha,” Hermes laughs while rubbing his back head.

“Overreact?” he asked.

“Yeah, I mean I just talk to an owner of a candy shop and she suddenly gets angry,” Hermes said in disbelief. “Then she just tied me on that tree and said, ‘Hermes-sama, I hope with this you learn your lesson.’ Then she just leave me alone in there.” He said while mimicking how his captain talks complete with his hand fixing his imaginary glasses.  

“Candy shop? are you talking about the one from the previous city?”

“Yup, that’s the one. You know about them?”

The coachman nod, “they quite famous. Especially the owner.” He gives a little smile, a rather salacious smile.

Hermes, with the same smile plaster on his face, nods in agreement. “Right!! She is such eye candy, especially her asset.” He wiggles his eyebrows and makes some gestures with his hands to emphasize his word.

The coachman nods, “Yeah, I can’t stop looking at it.”

“I can almost feel it just by looking at it.”

“Maybe I should go there again.”

“Ooohhh, count me in will you.”

Both perverted old men laugh with a dirty look on their faces as they immerse themselves in their own world. Only to bring back as the seemingly innocent question came from behind them.

“Grandpa, what are you talking about? What does he mean by she has a good asset?” She asked with her head tilting slightly to the side and her cheeks are puffy from the candy in her mouth, giving her an innocent look.

They both broke out in cold sweat, realizing that there is a little kid hearing their rather dirty conversation.

“Ah, well it’s a …”

“Mmm, well, ...”

Both men stutter, cold sweat dripping from their faces, trying to make some word to undo their mistake. 

For the coachman, as he was the grandfather of the kid, he must do something to reverse his mistake. If his daughter knows that he teaches her kid this kind of thing he will surely die.

Nana surely will kill me if she knows.’ He thought as he remember what his daughter will do when she was angry, which remind him of his late wife. Both women were really scary.

For Hermes thought. If his captain knows he accidentally was corrupting the mind of this little girl, he shudders. 

Asfi is going to kill me this time for sure.’ he thought because every time he played around somehow, no matter how he tries to hide it, which is a futile endeavor because how she was good at what she doing, she probably know it right away. If she knows what he just does. He shudders in fear.

Both of them now scramble to make up for their mistake.

“Well,” 

*Ahems* 

Hermes coughs to clear his taught and prepare for what he’s going to say. His cough also has an effect to take her attention to him. He positions himself so he can sit in front of the girl.

The little girl turns her head to Hermes. 

“Em, you see, we just talking about candy,” Hermes said with a troubled face and cold sweat dripping from his face, praying for his plan work.

“Candy?” She asked, with her head tilted to the side.

“Yes, Candy!” Hermes said. Perhaps a little too eagerly, as the little girl looks a little startled. But he can’t blem himself for feeling happy that he can fix his problem, so he calms himself and speaks more softly.

“Yes, candy. Do you like the candy you eat?” He asked while also pointing at a few candies on her hands.

She bops her head up and down, “Yes!” she said with gleaming eyes.

“Me too!” Hermes said with his signature smile, the one that guarantees other people will believe in him. Provide that they don’t know him for a long time.

I can save this,’ he thought as he thing his plan is going to work. “You see, I and your grandpa just think that the candy they sell is just so good that we think we should sometime go back to buy more candy. After all, you like candy, right?” 

Hermes said, emphasizing the word candy as the keyword and the fact that she like candy to make her focus on it.

The little girl excitedly bops her head up and down again, “Mm, I like it … but mom will not like it if I eat too much.” She said slowly with a downcast expression.

Hermes nods, “Emm, yes, but your mother doesn’t need to know.” his voice was quiet and soft.

“She doesn’t?” She asked, confused about what he said.

“Yes, we. you, me, and your grandpa can go there without telling your mother.” He said while putting his index finger on his lips. “It will be our little secret.”

“A secret.” She murmurs softly.

“Yes, a secret. Can you do that?” He asked though Hermes know that the girl has taken the bait and will agree.

“Mmm.” is the only voice she makes as she bops his head up and down. But she agrees non the less, unaware about the god plan.

“Good girl,” Hermes said before he pats her head and returns to his seat, beside the coachman.

After he feels comfortable he looks at the coachman. For a moment both stare at each other eyes until Hermes gives him a thumb up, and the coachman does the same as he gives him a knowing look. Hermes’ plan is working and now not just he fixes the problem he now also have some alibi if he going to go play again, especially if he want to make some visit.

Hehehe, I can’t wait to buy some candy.’ it was what was in the mind of the two perverted old men in the front as they silently giggled like a child, thought what in their mind is beyond what a pure child will think.

Hermes. Truly a god which many, only among the male gods, deserve to revert as ‘man of culture.’ and nothing will stop him.

They continue their journey uneventfully. 

or so they wish.  

Just a few minutes later they suddenly stop. 

“What’s wrong?” Hermes asked after he try to find a place to hold on and balance himself so he does not fall from the sudden stop.

“Grandpa?” she asked, a few of his candy falling to the wooden floor of the carriage creating a chattering sound while her other hand holding his doll tightly to her body.

“It’s okay sweety, just sit down okay.” The coachman said with a gentle smile and give her a pat to reassure his granddaughter. 

She knows something is wrong, even if her grandpa said otherwise. Perhaps because she was just a child, making her more sensitive to their surrounding but whatever it is, she can feel something is wrong. But instead of voicing her concern, she just nods and tucks herself in her seat.

Hermes leaning close and ask softly, “What happen?” as not to make the girl worry. His demeanor changed from joking to more serious.

“The horses, they suddenly become agitated,” he said while trying to reign them down.

Animal, just like all living creatures, have an instinct. And right now, even if they do not see it, they can feel something that threatening their life. As such they now become restless and begin to thrash around.

As the coachman try to calm them down, their subject of fear came from the bushes around them. Five monsters came out of the bushes and stood in front of the cart. They growled, showing their row of sharp teeth and arms with some weapon. This is the reason for their fear. 

This monster knows as a kobold. With their body that looks like an unholy cross between man and dog. And while it is generally known that the monster that lives on the surface was weaker than the monster that lives in Dungeon, it is not wise to underestimate them. Like an animal, these monsters adapt to live in this new environment. That’s means living in a pack, or in the rare case, those who have humanoid form learn to use tools. This can vary, from only using a stick to using a tool they steal as a weapon. This tool can vary from a farming tool to a real weapon. And currently, they facing the letter.

For a low-level Adventure, this maybe brings a little trouble or maybe just some inconvenience. But for someone who can’t fight, for example, a god, oldmen, and a little girl this can spell death. 

“Kami-sama.” The coachman asked, his voice trembling but firmly restrained himself from looking scared in front of her granddaughter.

“Don’t worry, I have an idea,” Hermes said as his hand roam through his pocket, searching for a tool that can help him.

Gone were the playful gods, his voice and demeanor become serious. So much so that the coachmen are a little surprised that the god can change personality so different in such sort of time.

Hermes finally finds what he looking for. He take it out, and what was in his hand was a small dagger. With its wavy blade color in deep blue, it was not a normal dagger. No, it was a magic sword. 

Thank you for giving me this Asfi.’ Hermes thought. His captain may be an ice queen, but that doesn’t mean she will abandon her god without some protection.

The problem is how will he use it. While the magic sword is a powerful item, in fact, it was such overkill to just kill a mere kobold with a magic sword, it has its own weakness. Such weakness is that the fact that this item can only be used three times before it broke. So he needs to use it wisely.

The kobolds slowly move closer and Hermes points his dagger toward the closes one. The atmosphere becomes tense as everyone holds their breath waiting for something to happen.

But then, something unexpected happens. 

Everyone, from the monster, The horses, and the passenger can feel it. The air suddenly becomes more chill, and no, it’s not as if it becomes colder rather the atmosphere becomes more … serene. As if the world is fine.

The monsters were confused and in that confusion, something unexpected happen. Three white figures shoot through the bushes. It was a dog, or what the coachman belief from their body shape as it was bigger than normal dogs, with red fiery eyes and ears that remind him of flaming coals, and fur as white as a cloud. 

The coachman feels despair as he thought that another monster has just appeared. But he feels something different from these dogs. And not just him, Hermes also feal something different from these dogs, though it was a different feeling from the coachman. Even the horses look like they are not afraid of these dogs. 

The two dogs move fast toward the front while the third one moves to the back. Before anyone realizes what happening the two dogs move closer to the closes kobolds and bite their neck. Without so much resistance, or even sound the two kobolds are now dead. There was also a sound of pain from behind the wagon, showing that there are not five but six kobolds that surround them. 

The rest of the kobolds manage to gather themself and begin preparation to attack this stranger’s new arrival. They all feel fear. Their instinct tells them that they can’t win, but that doesn’t mean they will run. They have survived this long, they will not back down. They know that these ‘dogs’ are protecting the cart, so they will use it to their advantage.

But before they even made a move, three fireballs shot from the direction the dogs had come and hit their chests, piercing and burning their body. There is not even a scream as the three kobolds look down at their hollow bodies, while there is an explosion behind them. They fall to the ground, not even understanding what just happen to them, and explode into a cloud of dust while the fire still burning any of their remaining equipment. The two previous Kobolds also explode to dust. 

All happen in a matter of seconds, so fast that Hermes and the coachmen still trying to understand what just happened. Their train of thought was disturbed by a croaking sound of a raven. They cranked their head and see a raven perch in the branch, observing them. Then the bushes below swayed and there was the sound of branches or twigs snapping as someone was breaking through it.

And then someone came through it. It was a man, wearing a long gray robe with his head covered by the hood of his robes, leaving only part of his mouth visible while the rest was covered in shadow. His hands move to clean any twigs or leaves that are stuck on his shoulder, making them realize that the men wearing black gloves. When he doing this his robe shift slightly showing that he wearing some kind of armor and a sword fastened on his hip. 

The raven croaks again before jumping from were its perch and land on his shoulder. The dogs move closer to him carrying a magic stone from the monster they just kill in their mouth.

“Are you guys alright?” The man said, his voice was surprisingly young as the coachman thought he will be older.

“Uh, yes we are all fine.” The coachman said hastily, as he try to calm himself. “Em, Who are you?”

“Ah, where are my manners,” He said before opening his hood and showing his face. “My name is Nox Black, just a simple Adventure,” he said with his right-hand press to his chest and a little bow.

The coachman was surprised. The man was indeed young, perhaps not even reached his twenty. With fair skin, short black raven hair, black eyes that remind him of a night sky with a face that can be considered handsome.

For Hermes thought, his mind was thinking how lucky he is. And not just because he survived but also feeling very lucky because he just found someone that was very interesting. Behind his cool mask, he was laughing like a kid in the candy shop.

Hahaha, well that was amazing. Genkai is truly amazing. Show me what kind of man you are, Nox Black.’

Nox was tired. 

If this was a game, Then his entire journey to Orario since accepting Odin’s request can be described as a series of side quests. He should have arrived a week earlier if not for every problem that conveniently exists everywhere he goes. Everywhere he goes, it’s either bandit or monster.

There was also the fact that his familiar, Valravn, was always pointing it at them. And if he doesn't agree she will continue to annoy him by making him guilty, such as saying: ‘Oh, poor child, to think your life will end in such a cruel way.’ or ‘Master, if you do not move, that young wife will become a young widow.’ or ‘Oh, what a tragedy if only my Master was such benevolent one.’ and so on and so on. She will keep nagging him until he moves.

What a handful servant you are.’ He thought.

It was a mystery why Nox still keeping her.

Granted, it’s not all bad. After all, he meets with a few interesting gods and goddesses and sees interesting things. But still, it’s not what he usually does like back home. Usually, when he got a job it will be more specific, a quick in-and-out operation. 

He give a tired sigh. He then looks up to the sky then looks at his watch. He opens his leather bags and pulls out a map. 

It was not a perfect map, because, unlike a modern map that gives an actual shape and distance. This map was like an old map that does not convey that. Instead, it gives you a vague concept of the terrain and the general place.

There is also a fact that, as far as he knows, there is no know complete map of this world. At least a cording to merchants he meets along the way. It’s either because of the lack of trying or Its exist, but its existence is closely guarded by the kingdoms of this world.

After concluding that he will not make it before sundown, he said “I guess I will stop for today.” as he put the map back in his bag.

But before he even can sit, his raven, Valravn, brings some news from their connection.

After some time, Nox increases his familiar contract with Valravn, making her a full contractor. With this, he can do many things from using her as an eye to sending his consciousness to her.

Nox closes his eyes and focused on his familiar. He opens his eyes, but instead of the view of a clearing in the middle of the forest where he stood before. It was a view from above showing a sea of trees. Currently, he was seeing from Valravn’s point of view. He focuses his vision toward the one that his familiar want to tell.

A merchant cart from the looks of it. Pull by two brown horses, with an arched white canvas as its roof. 

He look toward where the cart is going and found that there are some monsters in the direction where they going. Waiting to ambush them. He closes his eyes and when he opens it return back to his vision.

He sighs, “You want me to safe them, don’t you?” he asked, though he knows what will be her answer. His familiar answered him through their connection, confirming his thought. He huff. At this point, Nox can’t decide whether his familiar wants him to become some kind of hero or he just wants some snack.

Nox was going to move, as there is some distance between him and them when a sudden idea cross his mind.

“Hmm, let’s use them,” he said with a small nod to validate his action.

He takes his black gloves from his pocket and wears them. He then stretched his right hand to the front then start chanting the spell he was going to use.

[Invoco te, canes fidissimi mei es.]

(I beckon thee, thou art my loyal hounds.)

A magic circle, color in ocean blue from in front of him.

[Qui habitas in Annwn, Animas deducere.]

(Thou who dwell in Annwn, thou who guide souls of the deads.)

As the pattern increases and becomes more elaborate, the air becomes a little cold.

[Sonum buccinæ audi, et venatio incipiat.]

(Hear the sound of the horn, and let the hunt begin.)

[Adiutor Virtutis, et Venari Malum.]

(Helper for the Virtue, and Hunt the one that's Evil.)

The magic circle finally stops and becomes brighter.

[Pulcher es canes mei; Cŵn Annwn.]

(Thou art mine fair dogs; Hounds of Annwn.)

And with a flick of fingers, the spell completed.

The light subsided and the magic circle began to dissipate without leaving any mark that can prove that something had just happened here. Three figures can be seen in the middle of the magic circle. Three hounds, with their fiercely red eyes that remind him of fire, equally red ears, and their white pure furs that feel like someone just plucks cloud from the sky and create a dog from it. Their form gives an image that is hard to forget. Especially with their sharp claws and teets, if you are the one on the receiving end. 

The hounds stood still as they calmly observe their surrounding. Their head moves from side to side try to familiarise their surrounding before finally, their eyes meet their summoner. 

For an instant, there was silence as The hounds and Nox stere at each other. Three pairs of red eyes met a pair of black eyes. Everyone waiting for someone to make the first move. 

And it was the hounds.

With their powerful hind legs, they push forward, launching their body up to air into Nox. Their action caught Nox off guard as they push him to the ground, pinning him with their body. Their head moves closer to him until they are face to face, close enough to touch each other. They open their jaw, showing their rows of sharp fangs capable of tearing apart anything that was in front of them.

Nox close his eyes, resigned to what would happen to him. Then he feels it. 

A soft wet thing that smeared his face with saliva.

Nox laugh, “Hahahaha, stop it guys, you ruining my face, hahaha.” he said while rubbing their body.

The hounds, either because they don’t hear him or because they just don’t care keep doing what they do while barking happily.

What Nox just do was a summoning spell with the purpose to summon his familiar. The Annwn hounds. This is the first time he use this spell in this world. The reason he uses it right now is that he wants to try his hypothesis. 

He wants to know if he still has a connection to the world beyond boundaries. Even if currently he lives in the world that is reminiscent of the age of gods back in his world. There is no proof that he still has the same connection as he was back on Earth. Even after seeing his status, which Nox still feels weird about it, he still needs to prove it. This is why he was a little surprised when his summoning work better than what he initially thought.

“Hahaha, okay that’s enough.” He said as he puss the of his body until he was in a sitting position. “I also miss you guys.” He gives them one last pat before he stands up and cleans himself from the saliva on his face.

That and because he also misses them. Maybe he just wants some excuse.

“Right, let’s go hunt some monsters.” Nox cheerfully said, while the three hounds just bark happily.

Using Valravn as they guide they move through the forest, moving through bushes and all. With their magic, they move fast through all the obstacles.  Nox put his hood up as he doesn’t want to get any leaves or twigs stuck on his hair. Even so, some twigs and leaves stuck to his robe. As they become closer Nox can feel them through his detection magic.

Hmm, eleven pings. Six monsters, two horses, two humans one is old the other still a kid, and the last one is … gods.’ He thought.

After some time, Nox is able to differential between gods and mortals. Though he still can’t feel Odin because in his word ‘this is a skill that all ‘king’ of gods possess.’ he said rather proudly.

Well then, let’s make some good impression.’ Nox thought as so far there is no harm to do so. “You guys can go ahead, make sure to protect the cart and the passenger, and make sure to kill the monster in back.” He orders them.

The three hounds bark, acknowledging the order. Their bodies shot forward, faster than any normal animal can even be.

Nox can feel them as they pick their own target. ‘Hmm, that leaves them with three monsters.’ he thought. ‘Let’s not too fancy.’ he decided. 

While still running he cast a spell.

[O flammae, convenire … et transfige.]

(Oh flames, assemble … and shoot through.)

He adds another line at the last minute to make it stronger.

Three fireballs formed around him. Each of them then split into two with the one in the back becoming the propeller while the one in the front becoming the explosion. And with a flick of fingers, it shoots forward like a missile.

From his detection magic, he knows that his hounds manage to kill the first three monsters, and looks like they manage to stunt them. And that’s mean all his fire will hit them.

Just like Nox thought, all his attack hit their target. Perhaps rather too well, as he manages to out of the forest and sees the damage he has caused. 

Ah… that’s an overkill,’ Nox thought. ‘In hindsight, it probably not a good idea to give them a rocket propeller.’ He then looks at the cart and realizes that he now become their center of attention. He quickly cleans himself and tries to act normal. He feels Valravn land on his shoulder. 

Nox then asked them, “Are you guys alright?”


Author note:

I hope you like it. 

Leave some review/comment if you want, or not,  it’s up to you. 


Note: {In case you want to know}

Valravn (Danish "raven of the slain") is a supernatural raven. The ravens appear in traditional Danish folksongs, where they are described as originating from ravens who consume the bodies of the dead on the battlefield, as capable of turning into the form of a knight after consuming the heart of a child, and, alternately, as half-wolf and half-raven creatures.

Cŵn Annwn (Welsh "hound of Annwn") were the spectral hounds of Annwn, the otherworld of Welsh myth. According to Welsh folklore, their growling is loudest when they are at a distance, and as they draw nearer, it grows softer and softer. Their coming is generally seen as a death portent.


10