08. New Adventure (02)
290 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 New Adventure (02)


“It’s. So. Fluffy! It's like I'm sleeping in the clouds” In the back of a certain merchant cart. A delightful cute happy voice can be heard from the pile which the previous owner of the voice described as a pile of clouds. Such a voice was coming from Hana, the granddaughter of the owner of this cart.

The coachman of this cart glances back toward his granddaughter from his seat. While he’s happy that his granddaughter looks so happy enjoying herself, there is some concern look on his eyes. And the reason for his concern is toward the creature that plays around with her.

“Don’t worry,” Nox said after seeing the look at him toward his familiar. “They will not harm her,” he assured him, “They are all magickly contract bound to me. Unless I order them to do so, they will not even harm a fly.”

Currently, Nox was sitting in the back of the cart with Hana sitting in front of him while being surrounded by two of his hounds. One was lazily sleeping while his body become the pillow for Hana. The other hound in front of her, sprawl on the floor while showing his belly for her to rub. While the third one was in his right, calmly laying down beside him while Nox gently rubbed his head.

The coachman, who introduces himself as Jack, nods. He believes in what Nox said, but there is still small doubt in his mind. Though, after seeing them in action no one will blame him if he is a little scared of what they can do. 

“He’s telling the truth.” another voice came from beside Nox. His ever-friendly charming smile graces his face.

It was Hermes that backed him up. After Nox introduces himself, Hermes for the reason Nox doesn’t know becomes very clinging toward him. This is proof by the fact that instead of sitting beside the coachman like he previously do, he chose to sit beside him with the excuse that it would be easier to talk to him. 

Is it because earlier I address him as ‘The Olympians messengers’? They always act weird every time their title gets mentioned. Hmm, maybe I need to stop doing that. ’ thought Nox, as he tried to understand his attitude.  

Hermes asks many questions which Nox answered with some changes to make it more believable and natural, mixing a little truth and some lies. Nox always does this to make his identity safe and secret. But there is another reason why he does this. For some unknown reason, the man’s visage stuck him with bad premonition even though they had just met. Somehow, he reminds him of a certain man. A certain man-child.  

Why in God good names that there will be another someone like you, and why I need to meet them,’ Nox thought. In his mind, he sigh, praying that he didn’t need to babysit another variation of his troublesome friend.

Somewhere, in some unknown place far beneath the ground, a man wearing a white owl-shaped porcelain mask and a black cassock that looks like some kind of priest sneeze, making him drop the wooden box in his hands. The sound of shattering glass can be heard, echoing through the room. He looks down and sees that all his tools and ingredients are either broken or scattered on the floor. He give a long tired sigh before finally, “Damn you Nox,” he muttered his curse quietly. He then crouched down and started to clean his mess.

Back to the cart. Hermes quickly turns his head, “Why do I feel like you just say something rude to me,” he said to Nox. He was questioning Nox, but from the way he said it, it sounded more like a statement rather than a question.

“I don’t know what you're talking about.” Nox quickly said in a flat tone and turn his head away from the god's accusing look that emitted from his eyes.

Hermes keeps his accusing look at Nox. While Nox just keeps ignoring him, turning away from his piercing eyes and instead focusing on his hound. All of this lasted for a while until another voice came and ends their banter.

“I’m sorry Black-san,” it was Jack the one who apologizes, “It’s not like I doubt your skill … it’s just, It’s the first time I see someone manage to tame a monster.” He said carefully as he don’t want to offend him.

“Eh, but the people in Monster Feria can do that.” Hana retorted as she said it with his head peeping out from the thick layer of the fur’s hounds.

“Monster Feria?” Nox repeat. ‘Feria? as in a festival?’ he thought. 

“It was a festival proposed and organized by the guild.” It was Hermes’ turn to explain. “It begins around five years ago for the entertainment of the people and gods in the city.”

“Ehm,” Hana nods excitedly, “It was super fun! There was a lot of food and stalls, and, and there is a big building, umm … col-coll …”

“Colosseum.” Hermes suply.

“Yes, colosseum!” Hana exclaimed.  “They will put a monster there, and there is this pretty lady with blue hair, umm … her name is … umm …”

“Shakti.” Again, Hermes helps her.

“Shakti!” she nods vigorously, “She will come in with a whip, and then she will, wuss-wuss.” She then proceeds to explain, while her hand waving furiously as she explains. “Then the monster will follow her. It’s super cool.” She said, with her eyes sparkling.

“I see,” Nox said, “So it’s like a circus.” He concludes from her explanation.

“Circus?” She asked with her tilt to the side.

“I’m surprised you don’t know.” Nox said. Seeing the question in her eyes, he explains, “It basically, the same as you describe.” He begins. “But instead of taming a monster, it was a wild animal like Tigers, lions, elephants, and other wild animals. They will then be taught to follow the handler to play various tricks.”

Hana makes an “Oooo” sound with her mouth before going back to playing with Nox familiar after being satisfied with his explanation.

“Is that safe?” Nox leans to the side as he asked Hermes. “Letting monster from the Dungeon to the surface just for entertainment?” 

“It’s been five years, and nothing has happened,” Hermes answered with a shrug. “Besides they are under the Ganesa Familia supervisor, and they are good when dealing with monsters. They even have a zoo of it.” He reason.

“I see,” Nox answered. Though he is still not convinced about it and Hermes' way of answering only makes him more concerned. ‘Let’s hope nothing happens.’ He silently prays. 

“But still, I can’t believe someone can manage to tame them and use them to hunt another monster.” Alex said, “You must be a strong one right.” There was a trace of awe in his voice.

“Ah, no. I’m not that strong. Besides they are not monsters.” Nox quickly explains.

“They are not?” Alex said. He knew that they weren't normal dogs judging by their abilities so he thought they were some kind of monster.

“No,” Nox said while softly shaking his head. “they are my familiar, a summoning creature, a creature that came from beyond the Boundaries,” He pauses for a moment, “They are technically a spirit.”  He explains to Jack so he understands that they are not a monster and also to keep his familiar, the one he currently gives a head rub, calms down as he starts to feel irritated for the fact that he was equated with a mere monster. 

The three people who listened to his explanation gave different attitudes when they heard this. Jack could only nod as if he understood the explanation, for his knowledge of magic is almost nonexistent. Hermes only murmur so softly that Nox can’t hear what the gods said, but he gives eyes of recognition as he looks again at the hounds. Hana on the other hand … 

“Hey, Onisan, you really are strong!” Hana said with starry eyes and a beaming smile that can light up the entire cart. She may have not known anything about magic beyond the one she read from the storybooks. But she knows the word Spirit and the Spirit she knows is always accompanied by a Hero.

“Onisan, please tell me your adventure!” She stand up and asked. As she pumped her fists to the front showing her eagerness to know while her big brown eyes emitted her awe.

“... what?” was the only response Nox can form. He was confused with the sudden outburst from her and the awe and admiration that the girl emitted. Even his two familiars who keep her accompanied were taken back with the sudden outburst that they slightly recoil, while his third familiars just give … ‘is that proud in your face?’ Nox thought. He mentally sighs and shakes his head. ‘Why all my familiars always have some peculiar personality,’ he added.

“Ah, um, I don’t think there is something that worth mentioning.” under her intense gaze Nox answered. And he truly believes that. While many Adventure will argue that what he does is beyond what normal Adventure in his level can do, unfortunately, he doesn't know that. It is because of his bias for having a Falna, mind you, it was A Literal Divine Blessing engraved in his back something that all Magus back home will gladly do anything to get, that he thinks all he has done during his journey from Dragon Valley to here is something that all Adventure can do. Something that he totally misunderstood. 

And I don’t think my job back home is something that a normal person, especially a child, should know.’ Nox thought. Given that what was considered normal in the Shadow world in his original world was slightly, read significantly, different from what was considered normal in the Normal world. And it is probably the same for this world as well.

“Ehhh, please Onisan, tell me your story,” Hana whines while making some puppy eyes. Something that she realize a long time ago, is that no one can resist her puppy eye. 

“Hana-chan …” Jack sigh, knowing that his granddaughter will not stop till she got what she wants the moment she shows those puppy eyes. 

“Pleaseeeee ….” Hana begged with her sweet tone and her head tilt slightly to the side as she make some cute pose.

“Sorry,” the moment that word slipped from his lips, Hana started to sob, and tear threatened to spill from her eyes. “But!” Nox quickly said, “How about I tell you a story back from my home?” she perks up at that.

Hana looked up at Nox with her still teary eyes as Nox's hand roamed inside his bag, only to come out with a handful of many colorful gemstones in his hand. The three gemstones in his hand quickly capture her attention. Hermes on his side also looks quite interested in what he plans to do.

“Hmmm,” Nox hum as he plays the gemstones in his palm, twirling and turning them as he thinks about what story to tell. He glances at Hana and sees that her eyes are still glued to the gemstones in his hand. The look on her face can’t be more different than she had previously shown. He also realized what she wear. A red cloak. That quickly gives him an idea. 

“Say, Hana,” Hana glanced from the gemstones in Nox's hand to his face. “have you heard the story of the Little Red Riding Hood?” he asked.

Hana looked at Nox's face blankly for a moment, then down to her red cloak, then back to his face but this time with a wide smile on her face. “No,” she said as she shook his head with great enthusiasm. 

“Well then,” as Nox said that, the gemstones in his hand started to glow, “make yourself comfortable because I'm going tell her story,” he said with a smile on his face and the girl just did that as she tucked herself between his two familiars. He also realizes that he has another new audience. It was Hermes. He somehow moves from his side to Hana's side without Nox even realizing it. He sighs in his mind as Hermes has the same look as Hana.

Nox clears his throat and starts to speak in the most narrated voice that he can make. “Once upon a time, there was a charming little girl. Everyone who set eyes on her adored her. The person who loved her most of all was her grandmother, and she was always giving her presents. Once she made her a little hood of red velvet. It was so becoming that the girl wanted to wear it all the time, and so she came to be called Little Red Riding Hood.” 

As Nox finishes his narration a figure of a young girl in a red hood forms in his hand. It was made from the light that came from the gemstones in his hand. And from the looks of it, his little trick managed to captivate both of his audience. Because all Hermes and Hana's attention was focused on his voice and the figure in his hands.

And so Nox begins to tell the story that can arguably be the most known fairy tale in the world, at least back on his world, to the two attentive listeners. Though the story he tells is a version where a shrewd young heroine who does not need to rely on hunters to escape the wolf and to find her way back home, and not the one where the heroine just got eaten and that is the end of it. And that's not even the worse version of it. Nope, he chose the one that has a good ending and spare them from the nightmare.

“One day her mother baked some cakes and said to her: ‘I want you to go and see how your grandmother is faring, for I've heard that she's ill. Take her some cakes and this little pot of butter.’—” And so the young magician continues to tell the story to his two attentive listeners.

“We are finally here,” Jack said while pointing at the city in front.

Nox stands up and sees it from over Jack’s shoulder. Carefully as he doesn't want to wake up the sleeping girl beside him.

Tonight was a full moon, and with the clear sky and without any cloud, it led to its light to illuminate the entire city. 

It was quite a sight to behold. The high stone wall that circled the city gave it an imposing look. The buildings in the city itself are built with almost western renaissance style architecture and the fact that this is the only city in the world that excessively uses magic stones to light up their city making it look like part of an old-city district in one of many cities in Europe. It’s almost like he is back home.

And that’s where the similarity ends. After all, the building in the middle of the city is something that should not exist in his world. A tower of stones that define any logic. The spire that pierces the heaven as the night sky with its star becomes its crown. 

“Tower of … Babel.” Nox murmur. 

A little smirk appears on Nox’s face. He desperately wants to laugh.  Because of the fact that this Babel, was the opposite of what Babel knew for but he holds back. ‘To think. In another world, in one language, under the guidance of the gods, these people manage to build it. Oh, the irony of it.’ He thought.

Jack appear to hear his murmur and said, “Yup, that’s Babel. Isn’t beautiful.”

“Yes. Yes, it is.” Nox said quietly.

Hermes who sitting on the back, quietly observing Nox. He sees the look on Nox’s face. As a messenger god, it was part of his life to meet many people. As such, he has a good ability to read someone’s intent through their expression, both divine and mortal. He doesn’t feel any malice from him, but it’s also not the face of astonishment or wonder that every first-timer has either. It feels more like curiosity, as if how much the city will serve to fulfill his desire, which itself is not really uncommon. But that’s not what he truly feels, at least not all of it, there is something that he can’t really put his finger on it. In the end, he just shrugs. Thinking is not his best point and so he chose to wait and see, like what he usually does. After all, it was more fun to see what will he do rather than just speculating what will he do.

“Hey Nox,” Hermes calls him who is still enjoying the view. Hermes waits till he turns his head toward him. “You maybe will get in trouble when you try to enter the city,” he states.

Nox raises an eyebrow, “I was told this will help.” He takes a letter from his pocket and shows it to Hermes. 

“Oh, a travel permit,” Hermes said. “Yeah, that will help. But I’m talking about your little friends.” He makes gestures with his hand toward Nox familiars. “Even with my help, it will be hard to explain what are they to the guards. Unless, of course, if you can make them disappear, it will take some time,” he explains. “But don’t worry I will help you if something happens.”

Nox raises an eyebrow, “You want to help me?” 

“Of course! I’m a good god after all.” Hermes declared with a smile and a thumb up. He said it rather proudly.

Nox just nods. Having Hermes on his good side will help him during his stay in the city, he reasoned. If the god wants to help him, then he will gladly accept it. Thought, considering his lore, he will need to take his word carefully. But for now, he has an idea for his little problem.

“I see,” he nods, “While I appreciate that. I think I have an idea to solve this little problem.” 

“Ooohhh, and that is?” Hermes said, clearly intrigued.

Nox turned his head toward his familiars and said, “Come.”

The three hounds raise their head as they understand what their master wants them to do. The three of them stand up slowly and quietly, as they don’t want to wake up the little girl, before moving closer to Nox. Their bodies became slightly hazy as if they were made of smoke before jumping into Nox's shadow and disappearing into it. 

Nox looked at his shadow where his familiars disappeared into and said, “With this, it will not be a problem, right?” before turning toward Hermes.

Hermes was stunned, to say the least, after what he had just seen. He truly didn’t expect that they will do that. “Ah, well, yes, that will do.” He said as he try to process what he saw. But in a blink of an eye, he reverts back to his normal once. “Ha ha ha, you really are full of surprise, it's the first time I see something like this,” he said with a laugh.

“You never see something like this?” Nox asked.

“Nope!” He said while shaking his head and with the same smile of a child that realize that he has a new toy plaster on his face. “This is the first time I see this kind of familiar with my own two eyes.” As if to emphasize his word he pointed at his own two eyes with his fingers.

“Ohh, that's interesting. What is it usually like?” Nox asked because he is interested in how they use magic in this world.

“Hmmm,” Hermes put his index and thumb on his chin and slightly tilt his head as he makes some thinking expression. “Well, I’m not a god of magic,” he begins, “But I know that usually, it was a bird of some kind, and they were usually used as a massager.”

Nox nods at that explanation and said, “Ah, that kind of familiar.”

In the most simples term, Familiar is a servant. Since the old-time, they exist as a helper for a magic practitioner to do all sorts of their binding. There are many kinds of Familiars, with each type having its own advantages and disadvantages. A good magus will know how to use it effectively according to their needs. The one described by Hermes can be described as Natural Familiar. A type of Familiar that employs/uses either dead or alive animal as a vessel for carrying out the assigned task. This type of Familiar is usually used as a messenger, carrying a letter or a packet or even use as a telephone as it is capable of sending and receiving word from its master. This type can also arguably be described as the oldest and easiest type of Familiar compared to the other type. The oldest because it was perhaps one of the oldest techniques known by magic practitioners, it was as old as man first use magic. And the easiest because compared to other types of Familiar it was the easiest to perform. It’s also the most basic form of Familiar.  

Nox little raven, Valravn, can also technically fall in this kind of category. So he was no stranger to this type of Familiar.

A few moments later and now they finally came close to the gate. The cart stopped as it waits in line. While Hermes …

“Yup, this is our stop,” Hermes said as he stood up. “Come on Nox, we need to enter from a different entrance,” he said before jumping out of the cart.

Nox quickly followed him and get down from the cart but before he take another step he turn and said, “Thanks for the ride, Mr. Jack.”

“Oh no, it was I that was supposed to say my thanks.” Jack quickly said. “Thank you for saving as Black-san, we really appreciate that.”

Nox nods at that, “Good-by Mr. Jack.” He said. But before he fully turns…

“Ah wait.” Jack stops him. 

Nox looks back at Jack with a question on his face.

Jack takes a piece of paper and pen from his bag then writes something on it. He then gives it to Nox.

“This is?” Nox asked as he take the piece of paper from his hand and see that there was an address written on it.

“An address to a shop owned by my daughter. She sells a lot of interesting stuff that I think you may like.” Jack said with a fond smile as he remembered her sweet little daughter when she first open the shop.

Nox nodded, “I’ll make sure to check it out,” he said as he slipped the piece of paper into his pocket. 

“Please do, I’m sure Hana will love to have you back,” Jack said as he glanced at Hana who currently sleeping peacefully at the back. His mind back to a few moments ago when Nox told stories to his granddaughter. The look on her face as she listened to Nox’s fairytale is something he wouldn't be able to get tired of seeing. It’s funny because of the fact that her red cloak is also a present from his late wife. Something that Hana really loves and after this, he is sure that she will never gonna let that cloak go.

Nox gives him a nod as a promise, “Good night Mr. Jack.” He said.

“Good night Black-san,” Jack said with his own nod. “You to Hermes-sama.” He said as he turn to the god that was waiting on the side.

Both Hermes and Nox start to walk toward the gate. There are few guards in there. Many of them are currently checking merchant carts. One was talking to what Nox assumed was the owner while two people rummaged through his wagon, trying to find out if there were any prohibited items in it. There is also one who currently talking to an Adventure, based on his attire.  

The guard, with short curly brown hair and tan skin wearing a brown toga and with a spear lean on his shoulder, is having some sort of argument with said Adventure. After a few moments back and forward they seem to finally reach a middle ground as the guard let the men go. Of course not before the man left some rude remark at him. The guard just gives a tired sigh as he watches the men leave, before looking down at his clipboard and starting to write some notes on it.    

After they start to get close enough, Hermes starts to wave his hand and shout to the guard.

“Yo! Madara!” He shouts to gain his attention.

“It's Modaka,” The guard quickly responded, not even bothering to look away from his clipboard.

After they got in arm reach the guard, Modaka, finally give a look at the two new arrivals.

“Ah, Hermes-sama you have returned,” Modaka said, “And here I thought it will take more time before you finally came.”

“Ooohhh, Madara — 

“It’s Modaka.”

— did you perhaps miss me?” Hermes asks playfully.

“Not really,” Modaka said with a shrug, “it's just that from Perseus's expression, I thought she will bind you so much that you will not come back until tomorrow.”

“Oh, she is,” Hermes said, “I just got some help.” He gestured toward Nox.

Madoka looks toward Nox, eyeing him up and down. As he does this one of his friends from the other side of the road shout and waves his hand at him.

“OY! Moroha! —

“It’s Modaka!” He quickly snaps at them.

— Our time is up! Are you coming or not?”  

On the side, Nox just silently watched the conversation and felt something strange. ‘Is this some kind of inside joke? I feel like I miss a lot of contexts here.’ he thought. 

“Yes! Just give me a second!” Modaka shout back before turning back at Nox. “Sorry about that,” he apologized and bring his clipboard up. “So, are you a tourist? or are you going to stay?” 

“Stay.” Nox said as he take the letter from his pocket and give it to Modaka. He raise an eyebrow when he see this which Nox answered with, “Travel Permit.”

Modaka takes the latter from Nox's hand. He opens it and starts scanning the document, occasionally he glances at Nox before returning the document in his hands.

“Looks good,” Modaka finally said, “But I need to check it first. It will take some time.” He ends it with a tired sigh as he knows he will need to work late and have to skip drinking with his friends.

A hand suddenly slings around Modaka's neck. It was Hermes.

“Hey, Madara —

“It’s Modaka.”

— did you really need to do that?” Hermes said in a playful tone.

“Yes. I need to check if this thing real or not.” Modaka said in a professional manner.

“Well~ What if I tell you that it's a genuine real document,” Hermes said, still keeping the same manner.

“And how you know that?” Modaka asked inquisitively.

“Because I'm really, really, really, familiar with those kinds of documents. Besides, My Familia always use that kind of thing. So how about you just trust me and let him in, and you can have a party with your friends.” 

Modaka was silent for a moment as he weighed his options, should he follow the procedure or just trust Hermes' words. As he was thinking, one of his friends call him again.

“OY! Moroha! —

“It’s Modaka.”

— are you coming or not?” he shouts.

“Yes! Just a second!” Modaka shouted back before turning back toward Hermes. He sighs, after dealing with the previous Adventure he just wants to have some drinks. “Okay, you win.” he finally said to Hermes as he returned the paper in his hand back to Nox. 

“I just need you to pay 10K Valis fees to gain residency in the city,” Modaka said to Nox.

“Ok,” Nox said as he put the letter back in his pocket, took the amount of money he need from his bag, and gave it to him.

After counting the money, Modaka gives Nox a nod, “Welcome to Orario, Black-san. Please don't make trouble while staying here.” He said

“Thank you. Hope you enjoy your night, Mr. Modaka.” Nox said as he started to fasten his steps so he could catch up with Hermes who had already walked away.

“It’s Mo…da…ka…” Modaka's voice is getting slower and slower. He just stand there blinking a few times until —

“OY! Moroha! Are you coming or not!”

— his friend's voice wakes him up from his trances.

“Yeah, I’m coming,” He said as he walked toward them, “and it’s, Modaka!” He shouts the last part.

Nox finally catches up with Hermes. 

“Thank you,” Nox said.

“Eh, don’t mention it.” Hermes waves his hand in dismissal. “Instead, how about we go to a fun place?”

“And what exactly is this ‘fun place’ you talking about?” Nox asked.

“Well,” Hermes begins while skipping happily and stopping in front of him, “Are you hungry?” he asked.

Nox raises one of  his eyebrows, “A suppose, yes.” He answered.

His smiles got a little wider. “Then I assure you, you will like this place,” he said as he skipped one step ahead of him. 

Nox just nods at him. Having him as a guide maybe not be a bad idea. Perhaps he will point where the good pub or tavern, which from his experience will be a good source of information. But right now, there was something Nox wanted to know from the previous conversation.

“By the way, Hermes.” 

“Hmm, what is it Nox?” Hermes gives him a spare glance.

“Earlier, what does he means by Perseus?” That's what Nox wants to know. Why is it that the name of the Mycenean hero suddenly appears?

“Ah, Madara is talking about my captain. Asfi-chan.” Hermes said in a proud and loving manner if you count the perverted face he made. 

Nox just shows a confused face because he doesn't understand the relationship between the two which prompts him to continue his explanation.

Hermes makes a fake cough before continuing, “You see, here in this city if you manage to Level 2 you have a chance to get an Alias. Asfi-chan is currently level 4 and her Alias is Perseus.”

Nox nods, “That's interesting.” he comments.

“It is, do you know how hard it is to make other gods approve that name? The string that I need to pull and the favor that I need to use? And all I got is just a simple Thank you? That's it? Can you believe that? Oh, I’m so angry if not for the fact that she was beautiful and cute and those long legs of hers. Oh, the thought of her just —” At this point, Nox just went to tune him down and not gone hearing his rant anymore.

Nox just doesn't want to know about the god's secret fetish, can you blame him? Instead, he focuses his mind on another thing.

As they walk Nox uses this chance to look around. The first thing he realizes is how diverse the people in the city are. In most of the villages and the towns which he passed during the trip, most of them are settlements where the dominant is humans. And while sure he meets some demi-humans like the Beast-folk, Dwarf, and Pallum. With Elves as the rarest as the number, those he meets during his little trip can be counted with just one hand. But most of them are either A) they are Adventures or B) they are merchants. So for him seeing so much diversity in this place is quite refreshing. He also found that his little raven apparently has finally found a friend. It will be the start of an interesting friendship between an owl and a raven.

Now this is what I call a proper fantasy world.’ Nox idly thought as he look around.

This of course did not go unnoticed by Hermes. As he glanced toward Nox,  “First time in the big city?” he said, almost jokingly from the way he speak.

“More like this is the first time I see so many different races in one place.” Nox answered as he look at Hermes before he looked around again. 

Hermes nods, “Yeah,” agree with him, “this is probably the most diverse city in all of Genkai.” He is after all The Messenger gods. Even though he lives here he never stays for more than a few days, always going somewhere, never bound by anything. So if he says that this is the most diverse city in all of Genkai, well, no one can really refute his claims. After all, he had probably visited every city in all of Genkai. “And the most fun one too!” he adds his remark with a smile like a Cheshire cat.

Nox probably will give him more respect than the god deserves, just a little bit of course, if not for his last remark. It's weird for him to just meet a man, a god technically, that can ring a lot of warning bells in his head. In the end, he just nods while continuing to look around, enjoying the atmosphere of a strange yet somehow familiar city. He also notices something. The way people around see them, or perhaps more precisely, at him. A lot of them do not even give a second look which is normal. Some give a recognition look at Hermes and so give him a curious look as to who he is. And the small portion of them gives something that reminds Nox of the day when he first starts his debut in the magical community. An appraising gaze. He still doesn't know the true power dynamic in this city, ‘something that I need to quickly fix’ he quickly makes a mental note, but the way they gaze feels like there are multiple parties involved, and it looks like they are not necessarily working together. ‘It looks like I need to quickly find an info broker of this city’ he quickly adds to his mental note. 

They walked for a few more minutes until finally, Hermes stop in front of a tavern. Nox look up and read the sign, ‘Hostess of Fertility. Well, that's an interesting name.’ he thought. 

“Come on Nox. Don’t be shy.” Hermes said as he gestured to follow him inside.

Nox follow him of course. The moment he steps in he knew it was a good place. From the atmosphere and the smell of the food in the air. He probably should give credit to Hermes for bringing him here —

“Nya! Welcome to Hostess of Fertility! Table for two, Nya?”

— If not for the fact that they were greeted by cat people wearing maid clothes.

Hermes was smiling ear to ear while Nox just sighed while pinching her bridge nose, “Why I’m not surprised, '' he mumble.


Author note:

I hope you all like it. 

Leave some review/comment if you want, or not,  it’s up to you. 


9