10. New Adventure (04)
288 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

New Adventure (04)


(Previously)

“I know you there,” Nox said as he turned toward one of the dark alleys. His calm and neutral voice makes the two familiar to close their beak.  “Why you lingering in the shadow,” he says as he looks at the dark alley and stares into the darkness.

A quite few moments pass and the figure finally appears from the shadow.

Taking a look at the figure, a small smile started crept to Nox's face. ‘Oh,’ He thought, ‘so finally the local Magus showed himself.’ he look at him with some interest, Well, this is getting interesting.

In the world of Shadow, those who tap into the power of Mystery, especially the old one, usually have something in common. They all are, to put it mildly, they are quite … eccentric. To be fair, if you spend your entire life secluding in some unknown hole while pursuing/obsessing about something your entire generation has been trying to do. Having a quirk or two is kind of normal.

The problem is that one of their common quirks is that they are all paranoid, very paranoid in fact. Especially when it comes to their research. Those paranoid reactions are quite understandable, as Nox himself is technically part of them. As someone who is born from the old lineage, and if his family record is correct then it means it was pretty old as they revere the isle as Albion, so he understands what it means to guard their secrecy. After all, it was their greatest asset. So that makes most of them old disgruntled people with an attitude of ‘curse first talk later’ when someone suddenly enters their territory. Which is normal for them, as most of them are basically just hard-core hermits. Disturbing them is basically just a modern equivalent of poking a sleeping dragon in his lair. Unless your name is Sigurd or Beowulf, then Nox highly recommends you not try this at home. But that didn't mean he wouldn't, as his desire to gather more knowledge was starting to whisper sweetly in the back of his head. 

Is this what it feels to wear the Curse Ring’

And now, Nox just has a feeling he is gone just doing that.

So when Nox finally sees his hopefully soon-to-be friend, a few plans start to form in his head.

The figure that came out from the shadow is shrouded in darkness. Not because he was some kind of phantom, but because he was wearing tattered dark robes that cover his entire body. Nox doesn't know what exactly his robe is made of. But whatever it is, it keeps sifting and appears to have a spatial manipulation property. His face is also covered in shadow, probably hidden behind the same stuff that makes up his robes. The only thing that his robes do not cover is his hands, which are covered by a lanky black gauntlet that is too thin for normal hands in Nox's opinion. In fact, his androgynous body was so thin that he can bet that, either behind that robes his body is just skin and bones, or it was a doll of some sort.

They stare for a moment before finally it was the cloaked figure that broke the ice by speaking first.

“I’m sorry if I appear to alarm you,” The robes figure said. “But I simply want to observe you first before showing myself.”

His voice sounded distorted as it was an artificial sound. This only makes Nox think that either he is using some kind of voice changer, or he was simply not here. If he’s not here, then it means that he was currently talking to some sort of familiar in the form of a doll or a golem, or at least the equivalent of it. 

And it will not be strange if he just does that. Showing yourself in front of unknown magus can spell doom, even in your own territory. Even Nicholas Flamel, the man that is arguably the greatest Alchemist in the world, is rarely even seen in public. Preferring to stay in his personal workshop in his home in France with his wife. And if he does come out, it either goes to an Auction House or attends some yearly event. 

But something told him that he was talking to the real him and not some kind of magic tool.

“Eh,” Nox shrugged, “You are not the first one who tries to do so,” he said nonchalantly as he maintained his gaze toward the robed man. 

Valravn croaks on Nox's shoulder while the black owl beats his wings and flies to the nearest branch. Contempt to watch the interaction from its place.

“So, who are you exactly?”

“Hmm,” The robed figure hummed before raising his right hand to his chest as he gestured to himself, “I’m Fels, the only member of Ouranos Familia.” He said with the same distorted and flat sound that did not tell his gander nor his emotion.

His identity, or more specifically his affiliation, surprised Nox. Which only raises a question.  “Ouranos doesn’t have Familia,” Nox stated.

“He doesn’t,” And the man, Fels, affirmed it.

“I see,” Nox simply said. 

Truth to be told Nox was not too surprised if Ouranos secretly had his own Familia. Odin had told him that Ouranos was more focused on keeping the Dungeon sealed rather than directly engaging in governing the city. But such action may only hurt him in the long term. While the Guild was under his control and theoretically they are the ones that control the city, in practice their power was at the mercy of the Familia that lived in the city. Their power came from mutual understanding that The Guild is the one that has power in controlling the flow of Magic Stones in the market. So without them, the city will collapse naturally. Economically at first, but that will quickly spiral to another thing. So naturally, that means he has a few more hidden cards in his hand in case something happens.

Nox's muse was suddenly stopped when another thought crossed his mind.

“Ah, where's my manners?” Nox said as if he remembers something he forgot, “My name is Nox Black, member of Odin Familia, though I have a feeling that you already know.” He said, politely introducing himself with a small bow.

“Yes,” Fels replied, “we have received a message from Odin.”

Hering this Nox nods. ‘Hopefully, that means Ouranos acknowledge my presence in this place and see me at his side rather than against him.’ he thought.

“So why exactly are you here?” Nox asked.

Fels, still maintaining his demeanor and answered him with his monotone voice, “Ouranos-sama task me to bring you to him once you arrive in the city.”

“And what reason does Lord Ouranos want to meet me?” Nox inquisitively asked. His Raven croaked as if she repeated his question. Which she does. 

“That is something that you need to ask him yourself.” Fels simply said. His voice still does not give away any of his true feelings.

Well, this can be trouble.’ Nox thought.

“Well,” Nox finally said after steeling himself., “In that case. Please lead the way.”

“Follow me,” Fels said with his hand he gestured to follow him before finally turning around and walking toward the alley he came from.

Valravn croaked and beats her wings and start to fly from Nox's shoulder to the night sky, as he start to follow behind Fels's steps.

The sky above Orario was strangely clear tonight, showing the beautiful starry sky and moon. Something that I haven't felt in a long time since I came to this city.

It’s beautiful,’  I idly thought.

Tonight is just like any other night since my stay in this city. Or at least that's what I want to believe as I glance to my back.

Nox Black. That's the name of a young man from Odin Familia.

How did I get to this situation?

It was around a month ago when suddenly a strange crow with a letter came to the city. The creature landed in a secret part of the guild where the carrier pigeon usually came. Something that I have never seen since I became a member of Ouranos Familia. A Black Envelope. A clear envelope without any sign of who the sender is, only a red wax with three triangles as its logo that seals the letter.

So not knowing what this is supposed to be, I ask Ouranos-sama for an explanation. 

There are not many things that can make Ouranos react, so it was a rare thing to see his surprised face. He immediately asks me to bring the letter to him. I do what he asks and give him the latter, of course after I check it first in case there is something inside of it.

His face keeps changing as he reads the content, from surprise to concern to grim. He sighs tiredly after he finishes.

“Ouranos,” I ask in concern.

“It’s okay Fels,” he said before he sigh again, “Just a little tired.”

His answer does not convince me at all and only raises more questions. If my face still has flesh, I’m sure he will see my concerned face. But after serving him for many centuries such a thing does not need it because, from the way Ouranos looks at me, he probably knows what I’m thinking.

“It's from a god,” Ouranos begins, “One that I never thought will ever ask for his old favor.”

That was … surprising,’ I thought. “And who is this god?” I ask. 

“The king of Æsir, Odin.” 

If I can raise my eyebrows then I will do just that. A title was an important thing among the gods. Among them, the rank of 'King' only belongs to a few. Those who have this title for example are like Zeus, Amaterasu, Odin, Dagda, and many more. Some of them have left their mark in this world. Zeus once had the greatest Familia in the world, unparalleled till this day and age. Amaterasu currently is the patron of the Imperial family of the Far East nation. It is rumored that under her leadership the Far East nation is finally going to unite under one banner and finally bring peace to the eastern archipelago. These are a few examples of those that have the title of a King.

Then there is Odin. Truth to be told, there is no single mention of him since he descended. Which itself is a strange thing. A thousand years, yet not once he was mentioned. No news, no rumors, no mention of him, nothing. The gods made it a rule not to use their powers while in the lower world, making them practically as strong as a normal human being. So the fact that he was able to survive alone and manage to hide is a remarkable achievement in itself. 

'The only time I met him was around seven hundred years ago in Altena and at that time I’m sure he didn't have a Familia,' I muse. ‘The fact that he was able to live under the radar without the help of a Familia member… No … perhaps he has a member or two. It's just that he never registered them with the guild.’ I thought.

Every god or goddess that descended and formed a Familia needed to have to register themselves to the Guild. Or at least that's the rule set by the Guild. In practice though, the guild can’t fully enforce this rule beyond the Orario wall and Melen. The situation in other branches depends on the local Familia. And there are some Familia that are nomadic in nature who see no gain for them to join the Guilds, especially Families oriented as mercenaries or itinerant musicians. Usually, those who join the Guild outside Orario and Melen are the ones that are oriented as monster hunters and they need a place to sell their loot. Legally.

“Fels,” Ouranos's voice cut me from my thought.

“Yes, Ouranos-sama,” I said as I looked at his face.

“I want you to do something.” He commanded. 

And so I do what he wants and carry out his order. 

The first thing I do is go to the destination address. It was a house in the old district, an old house three-story high with a basement and a small clearing in the back that needed some renovation from the looks of it. With the fading paint and the windows shut with wooden planks, making it looks abandoned and haunted. Which it is. Of course minus the haunted part.

Except if you count me,’ I jokingly thought in my mind as I looked around while walking throughout the house, checking the interior. 

It was dusty, of course, with some of the wallpaper starting to peel off. Various furniture such as tables, chairs, shelves, and other furniture was covered by white cloth, but all of them still looked good. There are some wooden crates full of various books in the basement. Overall, this place is still in good shape. Just need a little touch-up.

The next thing is calling the Goibniu Familia to check the house and place an order to fix anything that needs to be fixed. Then prepare the necessary funds and all the necessary documents. Of course, everything was done in secret as Ouranos requested. 

All things considered, it was an easy task. The document was easily made. Royman may be an oversized greedy elf, but he was one of the very few people who were loyal to Ouranos. Yes, he was a greedy man and quite a racist elf, which is normal for a pureblood elf, but that also means that he was quite easy to control as the elf knows where his true place is. While Goibniu-sama is a God who won't question the client as long as he gets paid. Now the only thing I need to do is just to wait for Odin's child to come. Which is probably the most troublesome, because …

“Ouranos-same, How should I know if he has come?” I ask after hearing the order given to me.

Ouranos frowned upon hearing my question and after some thought, he finally answered with a resigned sigh. “‘You will know when you see him,’ that's what the letter said.”

“Ah…” is the only word that my mind can form after hearing his answer. I know that the gods really like to play this game, and for some of them being cryptic is one of their favorites. I give him a nod before retreating from his chamber and carrying out the orders given to me.

At last, a month has passed since the arrival of the letter. All is done and the only thing that is left is just waiting for his arrival. 

Perhaps I should know better, I should know that tonight is the day he came as I look at the clear starry sky beneath Orario. That should be the sign. Orario is a big city and a big city means that it has a high concentration of pollution in the air. Not enough to impact the health of the people of course, that will be another problem itself, but enough to cloud the sky that makes it almost impossible to see a clear night sky. But somehow, tonight was different. Perhaps tonight was the clearest night sky that I had ever remembered since I came to this city. 

Master always told me to always look for the sign, but I never took him seriously.

The first thing I realized when he entered the city came from my Familiar. As I peered through my Occulus to one of his eyes, I realized he was not alone. A Raven. A lively raven after the sun goes down. Which is impossible as they are not nocturnal creatures.  

As I look again, I see what he was looking at. Two people, one was a god the other was a human. It was Hermes with someone that I don't know. He was young, perhaps 17 or maybe 18 years old, tall with fair skin, black raven hair, and equally black eyes wearing a gray robe that covered his entire body. The young man was not part of his Familia, I know this because I remember every member of the Hermes Familia. 

Through my Occulus, I watch him talking to Hermes and look around like a tourist. Even so, my guts tell me he was not just merely a tourist. And it was proven a moment later when his head suddenly snapped at my Familiar, no, his dark eyes were looking through my familiar and straight to me. It was just a mere moment, but I can feel his gaze on me. Somehow, his gaze reminds me of my old master.

After taking a deep breath, something that I should not be able to, I return to my watch. He and Hermes then enter the Hostess and stay there even after Hermes is dragged out by his captain. At first, I thought he was going to stay there. But I have a feeling he will not. And I was right as a few moments later he came out from the tavern and started to move toward the old district. But before I order my owl to follow him, I see another figure start to follow him as well.

That's not good.’ I thought. Before I order my owl to follow him.

From my Occulus I see him move from the main road to the alley. Seeing this I realized where he was going. He was going to his new ‘Home’. So I start to move so I can meet him. There was a small secluded park before he reached his new house, and that was where I will meet him. I stop looking at my Occulus and focus more on where I should go. But before that I noticed something. The man kept touching the wall, and for a second I thought the place where he touched the wall glowed. It was just a split second, it was so quick that I’m not sure if it was real or just a trick of the light. But I quickly push that thought to the back of my mind. There will be a time for that.

I stop as I reach the park. Just like any other day, this place was empty. It's a shame that only a few know this secret place, as this place was quite beautiful, especially in summer. But that was not important.

As I waited for him to come, I looked back to my Occulus.

He was close,’ I thought, but then I realized something strange, ‘where is he?’ It appears that his stalker has suddenly disappeared. ‘What just happened? Where is he? Did he do something while I’m not looking? But how does he do that in that sort of time?’ My mind flooded with so many questions that I didn't realize that my owl and his new friend had just landed at one of the benches.

“I take you enjoyed your time,” His voice halted my mind and my non-existence eyes widened in surprise, ‘Did he perhaps,’ “Valravn” ‘or not’.

“Yes I can see you enjoying yourself,” I watched as he talked to the raven that I’m sure was his Familiar. And again, the same feeling as if I watched my old master.

My owl and his raven suddenly lock in a heated debate as they chirp at each other. Well, it’s not exactly chirping as they are an owl and a raven. While all of this happens, the men just look amused at them.

But what surprised me was his next words, “I know you there,” ‘He knew,’ “Why you lingering in the shadow.” ‘to think he can see me.

I take a breath, which I totally don't need, to calm myself. Before finally stepping out of the shadow. 

“I’m sorry if I appear to alarm you,” ‘Let’s be civilized,’ “But I simply want to observe you first before showing myself.”

“Eh …You are not the first one who tries to do so,” He easily shrugs it off.

Confidence? or perhaps he just doesn't care?’ I thought. “

“So, who are you exactly?” He suddenly asks.

“Hmm,” ‘Did Odin not tell him? No … perhaps he simply doesn't know.’ I muse. “I’m Fels, the only member of Ouranos Familia.” 

“Ouranos doesn’t have Familia,”  His answer confirmed my suspicion.

“He doesn’t,” I affirm, after all technically Ouranos doesn't have Familia.

“I see,” And it appears he understands what it means.

“Ah, where's my manners?” The man said like he was just forgetting something that was so trivia, “My name is Nox Black, member of Odin Familia, though I have a feeling that you already know.” He said, politely introducing himself with a small bow.

“Yes,” ‘Ah so that was his name,’ I thought. “We have received a message from Odin.”

He gives a nod before asking his next question.“So why exactly are you here?”

“Ouranos-sama tasks me to bring you to him once you arrive in the city,” I said.

“And what reason does Lord Ouranos want to meet me?” 

“That is something that you need to ask him yourself,” I said. It was true, after all, I really don't know the reason why he wants to meet him. Though I have some idea of why.

“Well,” he simply said, “In that case. Please lead the way.”

“Follow me,” I said as I gestured to him to follow me.

And that's how I got to this situation.

I glance back toward him in time as I see him doing the thing. Once again his hand swiped at the nearest wall. For a split second, a sigil appeared, and then it disappeared. 

It appears that he realizes that he was caught red-handed, and so he looks at me with an innocent smile. Like it was going to work.

So now that I have seen it, I need to ask him. For safety reasons of course and not because I am curious. Yeah, definitely that.

“What are you doing?” I ask, still maintaining my composure.

“Hmmm,” Nox hums while tilting his head and looking down. He looks deep in thought.

This Deja Vu feeling.

“Have you heard the story of Hansel and Gretel?” He suddenly asks.

“No,” I simply said. ‘and why did you answer a question with another question?’ while the unspoken question never leaves my mouth. Not like he blames him as sometimes he also likes to do this. Keeping a wise and enigmatic facade is a hard thing.

“Hmmm,” he hums again but this time I heard him murmuring something. “Maybe something closer to Greece,” he said in a low voice. If not for my high level I may never hear that.

“How about the story of Theseus?” Nox asked again.

I shake my head. 

“So that's a no.” Nox simply said with a huff. But he quickly rebounded.

“Okay then, back to Hansel and Gretel,” He said. “Okay then, let me indulge you into the colorful world of German fairy tales.”

I just nod.

“Okay,” Nox cleared his throat, “Once upon a time there lived two siblings, a brother and sister, named Hansel and Grate. Both of them are the son and the daughter of a poor woodcutter. When a famine settles over the land, the woodcutter's second wife tells the woodcutter to take the children into the woods and leave them there to fend for themselves, so that she and her husband do not starve to death. After much convincing, though he is reluctant, the husband agrees.”

“They seem like bad parents,” I comment.

“You think!” Nox said, clearly annoyed for being interrupted. “Should I continue?”

“I’m sorry,” I quickly said, “and yes.”

He huffed, “Right, where was I? Ah yes, the parents plan to abandon their children.” He said with a nod. “Unknown to them, Hansel and Gretel have overheard their plan. The following morning, the family treks into the woods. Hansel takes a slice of bread and leaves a trail of breadcrumbs for them to follow to return back home.”

“Why use bread crumbles? That was such an ineffective way to leave a trail. I mean, wouldn't the bird or any wild animals just eat them?”

Twitch forms in Nox's forehead,  “It's not like they have a choice, besides they are just a kid, cut some slack okay.” He said with fury and cold in his eyes. “Also, congratulations on guessing the next part of the fairytale.” 

“I’m sorry, do continue.” 

We stare at each other's eyes for a few moments, before finally Nox huffs in annoyance and continues his story.

“So, yes. Just like what you expected, when the kids try to follow the bread crumbles back home, they find that the birds have eaten the crumbs and they are lost in the woods. After wandering for days they find a small house made of gingerbread, cookies, cakes, candy, and window panes of clear sugar.”

“I don't like where this is going,” I idly commented.

This time, Nox just ignored me. “After walking for days, feeling Hungry and tired. The children begin to greedily eat some part of the house when suddenly the door opens and a "very old woman" emerges and lures the children inside with the promise of soft beds and delicious food. It was a trick, of course. As the witch only plans to fat them up before she eats them.”

“Why I’m not surprised.”

“But both Hansel and Gretel are smart kids and they manage to outwit the witch. When the witch checks if Hansel is fat enough, Hensel will offer a thin bone he found in the cage. As the witch's eyes are too weak to notice the deception, she was fooled. When the witch coaxes Gretel to the open oven and asks her to lean over in front of it to see if the fire is hot enough. Gretel, sensing the witch's intent, pretends she does not understand what the witch means. Infuriated, the witch demonstrates, and Gretel instantly shoves her into the hot oven, slams, and bolts the door shut, and leaves "the ungodly witch to be burned in ashes".”

“Well, that's just dark.”

“Gretel frees Hansel from the cage and the pair discover a vase full of treasure, including precious stones. Putting the jewels into their clothing, the children set off for home. A swan ferries them across an expanse of water, and at home, they find only their father; his wife died from some unknown cause. 

“I found that the Father is rather suspicious.”

“Their father had spent all his days lamenting the loss of his children and was delighted to see them safe and sound. With the witch's wealth, they all live happily ever after. The End.” Nox finishes his story with a quiet clap. “So what do you think?”

“It's an interesting and enjoyable story,” I said. ‘and quite a dark one,’ I thought, but I’m not gone said it.

“I’m glad you like it.” He said with a smile.

“... so,” I finally said, “what you want to say … is that sigil that you keep making … is a ‘Bread crumbles’.”

“Yup,” Nox said with a nod.

“And you think I’m leading you to a ‘Witch house’.”

“Well, to be fair,” Nox said in defense, “I’m currently following a man that wears a shadow, so … ” He said with a shrug.

“Is that so?” I ask back

“It is.” Nox quip back.

I’m sure there is more than just that.’ I thought as I glanced at him. After all, while telling the story of Hansel and Gretel, his hand still occasionally makes another sigil on the wall. 

I stop my muse as we finally arrive at the place I want. I put my gauntlet hand on the wall. A few seconds later there can be heard the sound of stone being shifted and a secret door opens.

Nox whistle. “Oh, a secret passage,” He commented.

Before we enter, I turn toward Nox. 

“Before we enter,” I begin, “there is something I want to ask.”

“Okay, shoot.”

“What happens to your stalker?”

“What stalker,” Nox simply said.

I was confused at first, but when I saw his face, I suddenly understood. I turn back toward the dark tunnel behind the secret passage.

“Ah, please don't leave anymore ‘Bread crumble’ while we are inside,” I said before glancing toward Nox. “And also please make sure to clean up any mess.”

Nox smiles, “Of course, I'm responsible Magician after all.”

I entered the passage with Nox following behind me. and the door closed behind them.

Outside, a raven and an owl watched as their master entered the secret passage. They croaked and whoo before flying and disappearing into the night sky.

 

 

9