11. New Adventure (05)
297 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

New Adventure (05)


(Previously)

“Ah, please don't leave anymore ‘Bread crumble’ while we are inside,” I said before glancing toward Nox. “And also please make sure to clean up any mess.”

Nox smiles, “Of course, I'm responsible Magician after all.”

I entered the passage with Nox following behind me. 

and the door closed behind them.

Outside, a raven and an owl watched as their master entered the secret passage. They croaked and whoo before flying and disappearing into the night sky.

I'm not lying, I just did not tell the full story.

As I follow behind Fels through this long and twisted secret passage, I start to think about our previous conversation.

When Fels asks me what the purpose of every rune that I have been carved in the wall is. Then my answer was ‘it was just a sign’. And it was the truth. Well, partially at least. The runes that I have been making are a sign, a mark, to help me in preparation for mapping the entire city if I want to make a base in this city. And while technically obtaining a map is an easy thing to do so long you know who to ask, such as asking Fels but I will reserve it for the last resort as I still can’t put too much trust in him even if we are an ally. The runes will help me to make it more precise. So it's not wrong to call them ‘bread crumbs’, as it helps me put some marks. At least some of them.

The first few runes were a trap for the little stalker. Considering it had yet been broken means that he probably fell for it and is currently falling unconscious in one corner while his mind is trapped in the endless labyrinth. Hopefully, if anyone accidentally sees him they will think he was just passed out from being too drunk and leave him alone. Well, probably someone will try to rob him, but that's where Valravn came to play. A raven atop of an unconscious body. They probably think it was a dead body and leave him alone, lest they want to entangle themselves in a sticky situation. Which, I doubt someone would be stupid enough to do that. 

Even if they do, the worst case is someone called the authority, which in this case the Ganesha Familia. I’m sure the man will not say a word, like what is he going to say? He was getting knocked out while tailing someone for no reason. Yeah, that certainly will spell his doom. Of course, that's still not the outcome I want. After all, it means that it will get a little troublesome to get information out of him, as I have a plan to have some talk with him after all of this is done. But considering we are in the middle of the night and I have yet to see any souls since I entered the alley, except for Fels, then the chance is probably low.

But in the slimmest chance, if it happens, then …

As I look down toward my shadow, I can feel three pairs of red burning coal eyes stare at me. A slight smile and a mental order are all it needs, and a moment later the three pairs of eyes reduce to become only a pair.

I should prepare a reward when they return,’ I mentally note. ‘Hmm … a hunt or a feast, which one should I choose?' I idly thought. 

Getting back to the mapping of the city. The plan was to put some runes as a passive sensor. Of course, I will not put them in every corner of the city, no that is just impractical and takes too much time. Instead, I will put some of them in key points in a grid manner with each of them probably having around one kilometer in radius. That will at least give me some insight in case something happens. It is still an arduous task and it's not perfect as it will not suddenly give me eyes to every corner of the city, but at least it gives a warning bell in case something happens. Which I pray will never happen.

Ugh … A large-scale breach containment is always the most troublesome and inconvenient task, especially in an urban area.’ I grumble at that though, as I remember the incident in the past.

A few minutes passed in silence since we entered this tunnel and it looked like we finally arrived. A dead-end, or at least what it seems like a dead end. 

Fels touch the wall with his gauntlet hand. With a clicking sound like you just unlocked a door, the runes that carver to the door light up, and the door slides open. Behind it is a grand hall, with a row pillar of stones that look like Corinthian columns from ancient Greece. And it probably is. With a torch as its source of light instead of magic lamps that have been extensively used throughout the city. Its light can’t illuminate the entire room, but it was enough to light the path that led to the center of the room, to an altar where the god sat on his throne. 

There is a sense of familiarity before I enter the hall, and now I understand why. This place is a Temple, like the one in Athens. But unlike the one that I know from my world, this one is still alive and it's still in full glory. The more I walked closer to the thrones the more I can feel the power and the aura he excludes. This place is comparable to any temple or any site in any ancient or holy city in my world. This place, without a doubt, is the heart of the city.

I glance at Fels as he walks in front of me, trying to gauge his reaction, but the lack of it only makes me wonder, ‘I wonder is it because he is already accustomed to it, or he just can’t feel the power that thumping in air,’ I thought. ‘ … or maybe it was just me that was just more sensitive.’

Having my entire life dwelling in the study of The Art of Mystery makes me more sensitive to the flow of mana. It was after all the basic skill of every magus. Without it, they will never uncover the truth of Mystery.

We stop before the tall steps that lead to the massive trone where the god sits, with Fels in front of me. 

The god that sits on this throne is none other than Ouranos. With the appearance of an old man garbed in black clothes that only make him more ancient. While his appearance is a humanoid form, like any other gods, he was tall. In fact, he was so tall that he was easily dwarfing any other gods in terms of high. 

“Ouranos-same,” Fels greet the god with his usual androgynous and distorted voice, but even so I can still feel the respect he gave to the god. “As per your request, I have brought him here.”

“Thank you, Fels,” The god acknowledged him with a nod before his blue eyes turned toward me.

As in cue Fels move to the side and I take a step forward. The fact that Fels is so quiet and makes almost no sound while wearing something so dark makes him almost blend into the darkness that surrounds the room. Almost.

I bowed and said, “It’s an honor to finally meet you, Lord Ouranos, the Protogenoi of the Sky,” trying to gauge his reaction. I stand straight and look at his face. For a moment I thought I saw his expression change, but as soon as I looked closely it returned to his neutral face. ‘That was … interesting …’ but that thought was quickly pushed to the side as I continued, “I’m Nox Black, member of Odin Familia.”

Ouranos gazed at me with his blue eyes. At that moment I almost feel the sky itself looking at me, which is technically not wrong considering who he is and what his domain is. A minute or two passed before finally, he opened his mouth.

“I’m Ouranos,” he said. His voice is neutral and sounds like a normal old man, but for me, it feels like a statement. Like he was indeed what he said. “The leader of the Guild and the City of Orario.” He pauses for a moment.

Leader? … Not Ruler or Owner, but Leader. I see.’ I thought and mentally nodded. 

Odin has already told me that Ouranos is quite hands-off when it comes to the way he leads. So it was not surprising when he called himself a “leader” rather than something that has more binding power like “Ruler” or “Owner”, still having control but it was more of directing to where they go rather than holding the wheel. What is interesting to me is that …

There is also the fact that he uses “The leader of the Guild and the City of Orario” as his title rather than his true domain,’ I thought. 

“I welcome you to the city of Orario,” Ouranos finished his speech.

“I thank you for your hospitality, Lord Ouranos.” I nod. “But, I never thought I would meet you in this,” I make a gesture to the surroundings, “kind of places,” I said humorously.  

From the flow of energy that I feel since entering this place, I know why he was here. So the question is, Is it wise to make fun of Primordial Gods of the Sky for the fact he was confined deep in the underground? No, probably not. But you will never know someone's true self until you push his nerve. In the case of god, it's his domain.

If you ask if I try to justify myself for poking fun at him? The answer is no. Well, maybe just a little. I mean, when else can I do something like this?

If Ouranos is offended by my jest, then he’s a good actor as he does not show it on his face.

“I’m not doing this for joy,” for a moment he showed a longing face, but it was as quick as its shows, “But, it was a necessary one.”

“Of course,” I said with no-nonsense as I understand that from this onwards the conversation will become more serious.

Ouranos gaze at me for a moment before he finally opens his mouth.

“Nox Black,” He begins by addressing me.

I stood there, silently as I waited for his next word to come.

“Why are you here?” 

I blink once, twice, and thrice before finally answering the unexpected question.

“ … I'm sorry?” I perplexedly said, tilting my head slightly as I looked at the old god.

“Why are you here?” Ouranos repeated his question.

I was quiet for a moment before finally, “I was under the impression that you already know as to why I’m here,” I said.

“No I don't,” He simply said

I frowned at his answer, so I asked, “did the message from Odin not make it here?”

Ouranos simply said, “we have received his message.”

I nod, ‘Well this is strange,’ I thought before saying, “Then, should not Odin have made it clear of his intention in his letter.”

“Yes,” Ouranos said, “Odin had made his intentions clear.” He slightly leaned forward and said, “however I still don't know your intention,” before finally leaning back to his chair.

Ah, so that's why,’ I thought. “I assure you, Lord Ouranos,” I confidently said, “I was only here to do his bidding.” 

“And that is?” Oranous gesture me to continue.

“He was,” I pause for a moment, “concerned about the situation in this city …” I pause again, trying to gauge his reaction. Ouranos gestured to me to continue, “Especially concerning a certain group that names themselves as Evilus.”

Ouranos nodded as he heard my answer. While I can’t see his face, it appears Fels suddenly looks interested. 

“That much is what Odin said in his letter,” Ouranos said. “However my next question is, Why now?”

“ … That I don't know,” I truthfully said.

“You don't know,” Ouranos repeats my words.

“Odin doesn't want to elaborate his intention,” I said.  

Silent descent upon us for a moment, until finally, “It's been seven years since their last act,” Ouranos simply stated as he gazed up. “As his members, do you maybe know the reason for his sudden interest?” He asked as he gazed back at me.

“Hmm,” I hum as I mull over his question. “If I may …” I begin, after seeing his nod I continue, “It is precisely because it has been seven years since their last act.”

Ouranos nodded, permitting me to elaborate.

I take a deep breath, “Seven years have passed since they attempted to destroy Orario,” I begin. 

“Yet in the past years since their existence was known by the world, there has been no progress concerning this group,” I pause as I look around. Try to gauge the reaction from Ouranos and Fels. Satisfied with their reaction I continue.

“Seven years ago they suddenly showed up and quickly started to create chaos with the purpose of the destruction of Orario. And as fast as they came, they quickly disappeared. Fortunately, they failed.” I pause for a moment, “Or is it?”

“What do you mean?” It was Fels that raised the question. “didn't they fail to accomplish their goal?”

I turn to Fels, “True,” I nod, “Orario is still standing and the seal has not been damaged,” I said, affirming his point. “But, in my opinion, their action has managed to achieve something more.”

“Which is?” Fels urges me to continue.

“Fear,” I said. “This organization, Evilus, manages to create a new kind of ‘Evil’ that this world has never seen.” I look toward Fels then Ouranos, seeing that I have gained their full attention I continue, “In the short time of their appearance, they manage to plant the seed of fear and doubt in the hearts of the people, both in this city and abroad. Their name now becomes synonymous with death and destruction, essentially they become a terror. I’m sure to this day, the residents of this city are still feeling the effects.” I stop to let them digest my words.

In my mind, what Evilus is trying to do is basically an act of terrorism. Something that this world has never seen. But something that I know quite well. Terrorism is not just a problem that plagues the Known World but also the Shadow world. 

“But it’s been years since they have been shown themselves,” Fels argues.

“Has the ringleader of this organization been captured?” I ask Fels.

“No.” Fels said, “Enyo's whereabouts are still unknown.”

“Enyo?”

“He’s the leader of the Evilus,” Fels explains.

 “Right,” I nod for the explanation. "A fitting name," I softly murmured before continuing, “and that's my point. The fact that this organization leader is still out there only makes it worse. Considering his track record, I’m sure he is just waiting for the right time.” I pause to let them digest my words. “Besides, it doesn't need to be him. Evilus is such a mysterious organization that any foul rumors that circulated would become their advantage. Their name is so infamous that if someone uses its name, the effect it creates will be the same or even more.” 

“And that's why you are here,” Ouranos concludes.

I look at him and nod, “That’s why I’m here,” I parroted back.

“Is that the only thing you will do in this city?” Ouranos asked.

Hmm, perhaps it will be better if I'm being honest if I want to get his support,’ I thought. “No, I will disguise myself as an Adventurer, so I will do some dungeon crawl … and perhaps do some research.”

The two of them gave an interesting response after I said this. 

“Research?” Ouranos ask.

“Yes, I’m a scholar you see,” I explain, “A Scholar of Mystery. And I found that the Dungeon was an interesting subject.”

“Many tries, only to be disappointed,” Ouranos remarks.

I smile, “Well, hopefully, I will be more fortunate.”

“I hope you do,” Ouranos said with a nod before finally becoming silent, until finally, "Now," he began, "that's all I need, for now, Fels will be my massager and he will take you to your accommodation.” 

I glanced at Fels and saw him nod.

“Now you may leave as I need to return to my prayers," Ouranos said as he lean-to his chair in a more relaxed manner.  

"Of course," I bow. "I thank you for your time," I said as I turned and started following Fels from behind. 

We move to a different entrance, and once more Fels touches the door and with a clicking sound, it slides open.

I followed Fels out of this chamber. But as the door is fully closed. For a moment I thought I heard the old God murmur.

"... Perhaps this time…" 

I narrow my eyes as I look at the old God for the last time before the door finally closes with a thud. 

The rest of the journey was relatively quiet. I said relatively because while both I and Fels were satisfied with walking quietly the moment we exited the secret tunnel, Valravn suddenly swooped down and landed on my shoulder then proceeded to make a noise.

Apparently, she doesn't like to stand near garbage and blames me for ordering her to do so.

'You are a Raven,' I mentally said to her. 

Which she answered with, 'a beautiful Raven! Doing such a thing is beneath me!' She said in a high-sounding voice.

I can only sigh after hearing her answer. At least,  I still have some almonds for her. Unless we plan to wake up the entire neighborhood.

Fels only make some remarks about my Familiar. Asking about her name, where do I find her, why is she so chatty, things like that. I felt he wanted to ask more but chose to hold his tongue.

We finally arrived at my new base. We are currently in the old part of the city if the building around us can be trusted. Standing in front of me is a house. Three-story high brick house, sandwiched by the same building except for mine, looks more new, no doubt because of the recent renovation.

Fels gave me the key and went into the darkness after saying goodbye. 

I look back at my new house, well not exactly as it is technically this place owned by Odin. Not like anyone will know that. 

Quickly crossing the small lawn, I stand in front of the door made from the oak tree. Inserting and twisting the key and it makes a click sound, telling me it's open. Pushing the door revealing the dark corridor behind it. 

The first thing that hit me as I took the first step is the smell of the fresh paint and the vague shape of the interior for the lack of lightning. Standing in the doorway, my hand touches the wall and finds what I need. A switch. And with a click, a series of magic lamps light up showing the warm and cozy interior.

I was going to take another step in when suddenly I sensed a new presence in the distance. I turn toward the street. The lights from the street lamps across the street rapidly flickered on and off. Then it suddenly turns off far longer than before and when it is on, it shows the figures standing beneath it.

I smiled as my eyes met theirs, "oh, hello there."

Their white fur gleamed beneath the soft light of the lamp while their red burning eyes looked at me in delight. Both of them casually drag a man in a dark hood, the same man that tries to stalk me, by his feet. Dragging him effortlessly as if he never existed. They strode gracefully yet still full with eagerness in their eyes, like a puppy that just returned the stick as they were playing fetch.

The third hounds, the one that stays beside me, materializes from the shadow beneath me. He whined as he looked up and slightly tilted his head. 

I looked down and said, "oh don't worry," I smiled as I scratched his head. "I promise, you will have your chance." He answered in the form of barking. "By the way," I continued, "did you get his smell?" I asked him. By his smell, I mean Fels smell. 

The term smell in this case is not just something superficial as the same term to describe a body odor or any chemical reaction that can trigger the sense of smell in your nose. But it was the term used to describe a unique mark of every being in this world. Technically speaking, those who know this mark usually describe them as just like a normal scent, hence the name. For example, the smell of sulfur, vanilla, lavender, or sometimes like iron, burning cable, or even something as vague as the skin of a snake or grandma's house, and etc, etc. The difference comes from how to perceive and utilize them.

He barks and nods as his answer.

I hold the door open as wide as possible so they can easily enter. "Come now," I said as the two hounds got close enough, "Let's find a place for our little guests."

The two hounds enter with their price towed with their mouths. While the third hound, the one beside me, slipped past me to join his brethren.

I followed behind them, looking around the street in case someone saw us. Luckily there is none. Before finally closing the door.

And with a click sound, the door closes.

Darkness. 

It was all he could see. Endless darkness. In this darkness, he can feel something, something that is so sinister, so foul, so familiar. It was eerie as the only thing the man can see is his own body and nothing more, not even the floor where he stands… 

'I'm standing, right?' the man thought.

He feels strange, how he can't even agree with his own thoughts. So he tries to move. Try but to no avail, because whatever he does, his body just doesn't want to follow his own will. It was then he realized that he was not standing. No, he was sitting in a chair with his hands glued to its armchair. Something bound him to this chair but he can't see anything aside from his own body. The man can't see the rope, the twisted and circling rope that bound him here in this position, even though he could feel something pressing against him.

"... What the…" with his mind still confused he said, as he realized his current predicament.

The man tries to move once more. This is not the first time he got caught, so he knows a trick or two. But nothing is work. All of his tools are still there, he can feel and see them in his secret pocket. But as he can't even lift a single finger, he was and still is bound to the chair.

In the end, he gave up. 

'This is not working, let's just wait for whoever captures me to come,' he thought with a sigh.

As he waited for whoever managed to capture him, he started to think about how he got into this situation.

Then he remembers. 

‘Last night … I was tailing the man that came with Hermes. I don't know who he is but he smells like money.’ his mind begins to recount his previous event. ‘Strange… I remember losing his track and just calling for a night. So how…’  It was then the realization hit him like a brick. "That fucker," he sputters with a fuming rage, "is he the one that caught me!? Oh boy just wait till I get–"

His rambling was cut short when he saw, no feel, someone in the darkness. 

He snaps and stares toward it, "who's there?" he shouts. He was shocked when he realized his voice was trembling. ‘am... I... scared?’ he thought as he gulped. Mentally shaking his head he then takes a deep breath, trying to calm himself. 'Showing panic and fear will not help me in this situation,' he thought. 

"I know you there," he said, still shaky but this time more calmly, "show yourself!"

The figure didn't respond. Just standing there. Watching. He or perhaps she? the man doesn't know. It is as if there is a curtain between them that obstructs his vision. And the only thing that the man can make from its silhouette is the eyes, the deep dark eyes that he feels that if you stare at them too long it will drag you to the abyss. 

“Oy! I’m talking to you!” He said louder than before, almost shouting. 

The figure in the silhouette, either not heard or perhaps doesn't care, shows no response or any acknowledgment of his attempt to talk. 

He tries again, calling him lauder, shouting this time. No, respond. He tries to make a light conversation. No, respond. He tries to provoke him, taunting him. But once again, the figure doesn't respond. And so time passed. The second passed and now becomes minutes. Minutes become hours. Hours become more. But the truth is, he doesn't know how long he has been here. Time become meaningless in this place. 

Frustrated and tired, the man said, "Okay you win,” ‘if that's how you want to play …then,’ he began to try a new tactic. Trying to lower his guard by being friendly and cooperative toward him, and when the time came, strike back.  "So what do you want?"

The figures didn't respond, simply standing there, unmoving like a statue while maintaining his gaze. 

Then it's gone, or so the man thought as a moment later he could feel it once more. But this time it's from his side.

The man turns his head to the left, starting at the pair of dark eyes. "Come on," he said, "stop this game and show your face … what? are you scared?" he taunted him.

For a moment his answer was silent. Then it's gone. The feeling of being watched, and the eyes, suddenly disappeared.

“what the f–”

Only to return, but this time it was far worse than before. Instead of a single pair of eyes, it was two, then three, then four, and then more and more eyes appeared till the entire place was covered by them. He was surrounded. And it was not just normal eyes, no, it was monster eyes of many kinds. From the weakest monster such as a goblin to a red with a slit pupil eyes of a dragon. He can see his petrified figure mirror in their eyes.

The man froze in fear as the group of monsters stared at him like he was some sort of a snack. And he probably is. 

'Am I… in the Dungeon? Did the bastard just yank me to the Dungeon!?' He thought fearfully.

Suddenly he can feel it more clearly, their hungry gaze, the smell of death from their breath, their talon, claw, jaw clicking in excitement. But they were just there, standing in a row. No … that's wrong. They are getting closer. Slowly and patiently, like a cat that playing with a mouse. And the reason non of them just lunge forward and mauled him to death is because there is a force that holds them on the line, but those same forces start to slip away as they get closer and closer. It feels like suddenly time moves at a snail's pace as if the world wants him to suffer more in this terrible nightmare for far longer. and now they are just a few centimeters from his face.

He turns his face to the side and closes his eyes, not wanting to see the jaws and rows of sharp teeth of the monster that will devour him in the most painful way. He forces his jaw shut, not wanting any whimper or chattering of his teet escape from his mouth. The last sliver of his pride will not let him die in such a pathetic way. 

All the monster need to do is just take another step and all be done …

Fortunately… or perhaps, unfortunately. It never happens

“Stop.” a distorted voice, as if there are many people trying to say at the same time, casually commend the horde of monsters. 

And they all follow, as they all retreat back to the shadow they came from while still maintaining their gaze.

The man watched as the figure that commands the horde came closer. He was tall, androgynous body with dark eyes. And that's the only thing he can make out of him as the rest cover in the same darkness that envelope this room. 

The figure stops in front of him and just stares down.

“So … finally show yourself!” The man spat, “What you want?”

No, respond.

“What? cat got your tongue?” 

The figure suddenly clamped his face with his cold hand. 

“I want an answer.” The figure simply said with his distorted voice.

“and … if I don't?” He said, he knew this is the end and he will not go down without a fight

The shadowy figures were silent for a moment before answering.

“I’m patient.”

It was then he felt something. The thing that has been used to tie him to start to move and slither around. He manages to glance down and see what has been used to tie him down. His eyes widen and his breath hitch, unbelief at what he saw. Snakes, hundred or even thousands of them. With every size and color that you can imagine just there, slithering and twisting in his entire body, preventing him to move. Then he feels it.

“GUH!” He cries in pain as he feels a thousand pieces of pain in every part of his body as they start biting him. But he also feel something else, ‘Poison!?’ he thought, ‘That's impossible, my Abnormal Resistance should stop them from taking any effect.’ But the worst part is that he can feel healing magic that slowly and slightly heals him. His eyes widen in horror as he realizes his plan.

“I want answers,” The shadowy figure said it again in his monotone and distorted voice. 

And his nightmare just begins.

I exhale slowly while letting go of my grip on his head and taking a step back. I watched as my stalker, ‘Roy’ I thought, looked so messy. With his head hanging down, eyes unfocused, mouth open with his droll coming out from it, and his body keep twitching as if he going a convulsion. He looks terrible … because of me of course. 

I tiredly said, “Well, at least it was quite insightful.” I murmur.

With his information now I know where to find gets my info broker.

I feel a slight tug on my feet, and when I look down I was greeted with my three hounds looking at me cutely with their puppy eyes. 

I raise an eyebrow, “What is it?” I ask.

The three of them simultaneously turn toward Roy and then back to me.

I blink as I understand what they want. “No,” I said firmly.

They whine harder.

“No,” I said it again. “I’m sure he’s not that tasty.”

They stare down looking very dejected.

I sighed, “Look,” I begin, “I can't give him to you guys. But I promise you will get another one that more batter.” They perk up at that. “Okay.” 

They answer with barking happily.

Why are my Familiar is like this,’ I thought. “Good. Now,” I turn back to Roy. With a single tap to his head, he falls from his cair to the ground, and from the look of it, he sleeps more soundly than before. “Take him back to where you guys find him,” I order my familiar. 

They barked again in acknowledgment then started to drag Roy's body toward one of the dark sides in this basement. Their body disappears as they enter the shadow.

I nod, “Now then,” I said as I look around. “This place will do,” I thought aloud. As I plan to make this basement my new Workshop. But for now, I tug my sleeve so I can see my watch, “Hmm, two hours before the sunrise,” I yawn, “Well, four our sleep then I can begin my preparation.”

‘This will take some time,’ I thought as walked toward the stair that lead out of the basement.

Author Note:

So … I was planning to release this last week … but my laptop broke… so …

Well then, hope you guys enjoy

Leave some comments/reviews.

9