14. Orario (3)
532 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Orario (3)


In Orario there was a place dubbed the Second Dungeon. It's called Daedalus Street. It is a residential area name after the designer of this project, it was notoriously known for its complexity, and the rumor that came from it.

Some say that once you got lost in this place, you will never get out of here. There is even a strange rumor, about the sighting of the dead still walking in this place, there are even some that claim to have seen monsters roaming this street.

Of course, in the end, it was just that. A Rumor.

A story, born from a man that is too drunk to even distinguish between up and down, or from a mother who wants to teach a lesson to their child so they will never wander around too far from her side.

But … you know what they say.

Where there is smoke there is fire.

So what's the truth? Well, there is a general consent among these city inhabitants, that Daedalus Street is a residential area for those with middle to lower-income households. With the deeper you go, the worse it becomes. In another word, a slum.

And with poverty, comes crime. 

It is ironic for a place where gods, literally, walk among mortals, such a thing is allowed to exist. No, perhaps because they are gods that this happen. Gods, in many interpretations, are never been portrayed as just omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient beings like in monotheism. But rather as being full of fault. Yes, they can be as just and as wise as they can be, but often time they can be depicted as immature, selfish, greedy, petty beings with the attention span of a goldfish. It is no wonder why many of their actions they do seem as irrational, as it was just a wimp and without giving any deep meaning behind them. 

It is a miracle, the fact that many of them can gather in this place but somehow still manage to behave nicely without much of throwing tantrums for every trifling thing, like a bunch of toddlers in a kindergarten. 

But, perhaps it was a rather harsh assessment to give. They are gods after all. The embodiment of an Aspect, be it the Nature of Man, the World, or even the Abstract Concept. They are the pinnacle of this Aspect if it gave flesh and bone. But most importantly, they are representations of human civilization. 

They are the mirror that we can use to see the past and the present of our kind. 

But I digress. 

Back to the Daedalus Street. As a slump with a maze-like architecture, it was easy for those who want to keep their business from prying eyes to choose this place as their base. With the stigma that came from this place which makes people easily dismiss this place as unimportant and the architectural style that makes it easy for someone to hide, it's not hard to see why many criminals chose this place as their base.

And that's the truth … or at last half of it.

A single lone figure can be seen walking in a dark alley that resembles too much of a maze rather than a simple passage. He walks calmly through the narrow street with his grey cloak that hides his figure, leaving nothing except the lower part of her face and his hand that shows that he is carrying a paper bag. 

Walking here can be dangerous for those who are not used to it. Not just because of the nature of this place, but also the danger that came from the people living there. The crime rate is very high in this area, and many thugs roam these alleys. Especially now, where the darkness of the night brings cover to whatever they plan to do. 

However, it was never a problem for him. Over the past few weeks, this figure has gained some reputation for those who operated in this place. It was a quite big reputation that he himself was not aware of how much the reputation had grown. For those who know, it makes him a figure that needs to be wary. And for those who don't know…

Three rough-looking people emerged from the alley blocking the mysterious figure.

“Yo! You there. How about you just leave all your stuff and run back to your mother?”

Said one in the middle and from the look of it, also the leader of this group.

But the man keeps walking without showing any acknowledgment that they even exist.

“OI!! I’m talking to you!” He said it again louder and harsher voice.

But the lone figure just ignores it.

The man klick his tongue and pull out his knife, an action that the other two soon follow. 

“Tch! I warn you!”

The man stops mere a meter from the three thugs.

It's then they realize their mistake. The lamp above them starts to flicker wildly and a cold wind blow from the lone figure. There was a sudden quietness as if the world itself hold its breath.

“I just gone said it once, you sad miserable excuse for a man,” only a fool to not realize the unmistakable threat that carries with it, even if he said it with a flat tone.

He raises his face and the three thugs become pale as the only thing they see beneath his hood is a dark void with two silver eyes. It quickly instills the feeling of fear and dread in their heart and mind. They involuntary take a step back, wanting nothing but get away as far as they can.

“Scram!”

They don't need to tell twice as they turn and run faster than they ever have in their lives.

The man can only huff in annoyance as he watched them go before continuing his walk. A few minutes later he arrive where he wanted. In front of him is a pile of junk. There was a pile of wooden boxes and it was piled as high as him while being covered in a dull cloth. A broken bicycle that had lost its front wheel rested beside it. Beside it was a wooden table flanked by two wooden chairs, one of which looked more valuable than the other because it was decorated with more carvings.  And lastly, an old brown sofa.

The cloaked figure then knocks on the wooden box with his free hand. It swings slightly as he does that.

“Hey, Mister! You there?”

With no answer, he knocks it again.

“Hey, Oldman! If you’re dead, please say something.”

A few grunting and the sound of something falling later and he got his answer.

“You brat! Are you tryin’ to kill me?!”

There was the sound of someone growling and the cloth was opened, revealing an old man with disheveled white hair and beard, wearing a tattered gray robe. His skin was as pale as a sick person's but his most striking feature was the bandage covering his eyes, indicating that he was blind.

“I'm not trying to do that,” The cloaked figure defended himself.

“You will! If you keep shakin’ my House!” he said angrily.

“Oh, don't be so dramatic. Aren't you glad I came?” he said calmly as he waved his hand when he smelled alcohol from the old man.

“Like hell, I care!” the old man barks back.

The cloaked man sighed, “Look I’m sorry, I don’t mean it.” He then show the paper bag, “Here, I bring some food,” he said trying to appease him. Seeing it's not working, he continues, “and a bottle of wine.”

That apparently works as the old man makes a small smile.

“Good, at least you still know some manners,” he huffs, continuing, “sit down while I prepare myself.”

He nods but before he fully turns he heard him call, “Oh, and it's good to see you still alive, Nox.”

A glance from his shoulder, “Oooohhh, you do care,” Nox jokingly said.

“SHUT UP!!” Growled the old man from inside his tent.

I sat on one of the wooden chairs and put the paper bag on the table. I sat on the one that has the least carving and not the other one because I know that he liked that chair. I know this because when we first meet I try to sit on it and the old man just explodes and starts to give me a short –read long, I mean, really long– list of why I should never touch his chair plus the story depicted in the engraving.

I mean I know some people –especially old people– don't like when others touch their stuff but come on. 

I sigh as I remember what happened on that day.

In the end, I spent nearly two hours listening to his ranting which can summarize as “Look how cool and beautiful this thing is,” –something that I find a little ironic considering the man itself can’t see– and also got a new detail of the event that Snorri seems to forget to add in his little tome. So at least there is something good about it.

With the sound of a few crashes and curses later, the cloth flapped open and the blind old man came with silver cutlery, cups, and plates on a tray. It was a strange thing for a tramp to have such things. 

But of course, it would be strange if only the old man were just a tramp. And I know he was not.

“You know Mister…” I began when he sat down and started setting the table.

Mister. That is what he wants to be called when I ask his name.

“Hmm?” he hummed, not even stopping his hands but I know I have his attention.

“Why do you even live in this place?” I ask.

“Hmm? What's wrong with this place?” He asks back. 

After he was satisfied with setting the table, he moved to the paper bag.

“I mean come on,” I gestured around,  “Look at this place!”

His hand stops and slowly moves his head so he can face me and at that moment I realize what I just said.

“Sorry … some time I forget about your … condition.”

“You forget,” he said, and to emphasize his point, his finger pointed toward his blindfold.

“Well you never act like one, soo”

“And how do you think I should act, hmm?” He asked while looking insulted.

“Really! You going to play that card?!”

There was silence, and then Mister chuckled.

“Hehehe, sorry, just want to mess with you.”

“Not cool buddy, not cool,” I sighed in annoyance.

He answered with a chuckle while her hands move to take the food from the paper bag and start to unwrap it.

“Where do you got this?” He asked.

“It's from Mia's place.”

“What a feast! That woman really knows how to cook,” he said while setting it on the plate.

 He then takes the wine, “And what brand is this?”

“It's from goddess Hebe– I mean, Dia, Goddess Dia,” I quickly correct myself.

He chuckles, “careful there, you almost call her other name.”

“It was just a slip of a tongue,” I sigh, “Sometimes I forget they use their other name. But I’m sure she will forgive me.”

“Oh, I’m sure she will. But other though,” there is something dark in his smile as he inspects the bottle. 

“Yeah, I know how fragile their ego and how petty they can be.”

He nodded before his head snapped toward me with his puppy face fully display. “But seriously, when will you finally bring a bottle of Soma?” 

“Naver,” I quickly answered.

“Oh, come on Nox. Don't be so stingy with me.”

“If you really want it. You should buy it yourself.”

“Boohoo, and where's the fun of it! Besides I’m sure you are interested in it as well.”

“I’m,” nodding at him, “but I am more interested in the real Soma and not the fail product that they sell on the market.”

“Oh!” that makes him interested, “You want to taste the drink of the gods.”

“Nah, more like for academic purpose.”

And that's what I'm interested in. If Chandra, otherwise known here as Soma –because it seems, that was the aspect he chose to embody rather than his Moon aspect– really tries to perfect his drink. Then I can’t wait to get one of his divine nectar when it finally finishes, and to be honest it doesn't need to be perfect. Because as far as I know, the current drink is good enough for what I plan to do. 

Oh, the thought of using it as part of my experiment or even for the next ritual is just,’ I silently shiver as a million ideas for how I’m going to use it fill my mind.

“... Sooo,” He slowly begins and I snap back to reality, “if you get it and end up getting tired of messing with it, would you mind giving it–”

“No,” I quickly answered.

He clicks his tongue, “Damn you’re stingy,” He grumbles before he begins to open the bottle, “But still, you make a good choice to buy her wine,” he said as he inspects the bottle.

“Really?”

“Yup. Listen,” his face became serious as he started to explain, “if you want to get a good drunk, buy it from Soma. If you want a good party, buy it from Dionysus. But if you really want something good to accompany your meal, then you should buy it from Dia,” He said as he poured it into two glasses, “Here, you should drink as well.”

“Thanks,” I said as take the glass he offer. 

While he started eating in a manner befitting of someone born in the upper class, I take a sip from the glass. A small intake, enough so I can properly taste it. After letting it settle, I can say I agree with him.

“You still not answered my question,” I said as I put the glass down.

“Which one?” He asked before taking another bite.

“The one where I ask you, ‘Why are you living like this?’”

“Why not,” he answered with a shrug.

“Oh, come on. Even Penia, the Goddess of Poverty, is living better than you, albeit just a little. And considering your job, I'm sure you can afford to live in a better place.”

“Ehhh,” he whines, “but I like this place.”

“... you know I still have some empty rooms at my place,” I offer. 

I’m not some kind of a saint who offers his place to every random beggar that he meets, no. The reason why offer him my place is more of the fact of who he is, and not just because of his line of work but also his true identity. Because if my hunch is correct, then the true identity of this man is—

He gasp, “Nox… do you perhaps… have feelings for me,” he said it like a meek young maiden.

Instead of answering him, I just let my facial expression do the work.

“Oi oi oi! I may be blind! But I know you just make some rude expression, right!” He shouts.

I keep my silence as I slowly push my chair back while maintaining my expression.

“Stop it! Stop with that look of utter disgust! Stop degrading me with that look!” He screams and wails in despair.

I sigh, “Okay. Enough with this joke.”

 “So it's really just a joke,” He snift, “right?”

“... maybe …” I quietly said.

“Guh,” he makes a pained noise, “you really are mean one Nox. You know that.”

“No, I don't,” That I’m sure of it because I never– ‘Hey, what with that face you make.

He sigh and quietly said, “Sometimes I wonder if you do this on purpose.” 

I raise my eyebrow, “What are you talking about? And more importantly, have you prepared what I asked for?”

He sighs exasperatingly and shakes his head in defeat, “just forget about it,” he quietly said before he gulps down his wine and puts down his glass before retrieving a neat stack of papers from inside his ragged robe. 

I take it from his hand and start reading its content.

Yes, the reason why I offering this is that he was my informant. The information that I got from the little stalker pointed me to three places where I can get some information. The first is an underground pub where many shady people use to conduct their business, the second is a piece of information about a famous info broker, and the third however is a rumor about someone who can give you any information you want. However, no one knows whether these rumors are true or false.

The first one is great because birds of a feather flock together. So at least I know where to go. It's just that I don't like those kinds of places, so I won't be going there anytime soon. With the second, I can get some information out of him but considering what I’m going to do, which in my case is bad for his business, it is only a matter of time before he stabs me in the back. And the third one …

For a brief second, I look at the raged blind old man in front of me then at the papers in my hand.

Still can't believe it was You,’ I thought.

“About your offer,” the blind old man begins and I glace from the paper in my hands, “I appreciated it. But no, I can’t take it. I told you, I love this place,” he said with a smile. “And, no, don’t even try to talk out of it like what you do to Penia.”

The look and tone he give tell me that he won't budge and so I give him a nod of an understatement. However, I can’t return back to my reading as his last comment bothered me.

“Hey, what do you mean by that?” I ask.

“You know what I’m talking about,” he said, not elaborating any further.

I tried to remember my interaction with the Goddess of Poverty. It was during the time when I put some Sigils on this city while exploring the Daedalus Streets.  

“Nope, still no clue what you mean by that.”

He sighs again and I swear, it feels like he just gain another ten years just by that single breath.

“Okay, how about you tell me what exactly happened when you first meet her,” He asked, slowly, like a father asking his child about what he had just done. And honestly, it makes me feel weird seeing him act like this. 

Wanting to just get this done, I quickly answered. “Well, I first met her when I was walking on one of these streets … At first, I thought she was just another homeless person, sleeping while covered in a dirty tarp. Until she suddenly open her eyes and grab my hand the moment I passed in front of her.”

“Hehehe, from the way you explain, don't tell me you get scared from her,” he comments as he takes another bite of his food.

“I’m not,” I said, perhaps a little too fiercely, based on the reaction he shows. “I’m just a little surprise when she suddenly grab my hand and got hit by her aura that suddenly flared up.” 

Odin once tells me, that only those who have the title of King can truly hide their aura, the rest of the gods, even in humans form still unconsciously emit their aura. Like the goddess Demeter who always produces a good harvest because she unconsciously gives off her aura, or the goddess Freyja who I heard always radiates her charm. For the inhabitants of this world, all of this is commonplace and many of them are immune to it. But for me, who came from a world where gods no longer walked the earth, and for me who spent my entire life learning to sense mana flows, all of this overloaded my senses. On my first day in this city, I spent a whole day just calming my senses.

“Ah, I remember you once told me about your mana-sensitive condition.”

“Yup,” That's the reason, and not because for a moment I thought she was someone I know because her face reminds me of a certain witch that lived in Siberia. Yes, I'm just a little surprised.

“Anyway, she asks me if I can spare some coin for her. I was going to, but before that, I ask some questions like; what's a goddess doing in a place like this?”

“And her answer?”

“Well, first she was surprised that I recognise her as a goddess because apparently, most people don't. The second is because she was Penia. Which is I guess kinda answer the question and also not at the same time.”

“Yeah, well to be fair, she's been here for as long as people remember.”

“Right. So I was going to give her some when I notice the half-empty wine bottle, rolled from her feet. So I ask her, what are you going to do with it. She calls me silly and said she going to use it for herself and if there is any left give some to others. When I make a comment about the bottle and that she should use it for something else that is better than liquor, she accuse me that I never intended to help her and just wanted to mock her. Then she started lecturing me about wealth and abundance is not good for the spirit and weakens the body and what is wrong with living for today.”

I realize that Mister is now stopped eating and has given me his full attention. 

“Oh, please don't mind, and do continue, I truly want to know what happen that day,” he said.

After taking a deep breath, I continue, “Well, I counter it by saying that while it's true that life is not just about money, you can’t live without money. Hope, dreams, morality, and progress will not grow if they even can't think about how will they live for the next day. That shackle will only be a curse for them. Then I take two gold coins from my pocket and tell her that I will give them to her if she can help these people. When she said she would just break it down into small coins and then distribute them to people in need, I said, no I want something more tangible like for example a soup kitchen or something.”

“Ah, and that's the beginning of the famous ‘Daedalus Soup Kitchen’,” he said, “To be honest I was quite surprised when she suddenly started doing it.”

“I was more surprised by the fact that no one ever did it. I mean, the fact that even the idea of doing something like that doesn't exist baffles me.” I sigh and quietly murmur, “A thousand years since they descend and none of them think to care for the weak and the forgotten.” ‘I guess no matter where you go, it's always the same.’

“But how did you manage to convince her to do that? As far as I know, she was not the type of goddess who likes to work,” he ask.

“Well, you are right about that. At first, she doesn't want to do that because it was a hassle. So I just say something along the line: as a Penia, true that you’re the Goddess of Poverty, you’re the patron of those who lives in this condition but does not lack the mean to improve. You’re the patron of those who struggles to survive and occasionally ask for help but does not rely solely on it, as they are not powerless as you are not. You caries the trait of hardiness, and hard work, and that capacity can improve someone's character and for them to gain virtue. All I ask, is for you, to not abandon those people, your people, by giving them the mean so they can improve. Unless of course, you want to take the name Ptokheia[1] and embodied the name Aporia[2] and perhaps you should take Aergia[3] as well.”

I can feel he was blinking as he take what I just said, “... wow,” he slowly said, “... did you just... give a reprimand on a goddess... using her own title.”

“... well, yeah I guess … to be honest at that time I was not in the right mind …” ‘I should have stayed home until the effects of the ritual of the previous night had completely worn off,’ I thought

Then he exploded in laughter while smacking the table, “HAHAHAHAH …Oh goodness, never thought the day of such thing finally come… HAHAHAHA.”

I huff, “Yeah-yeah, keep laughing old man.”

And he just does that. His laughter grew louder until he had to stop when he started coughing, no doubt his throat hurting from it.

“Then, he~he, what happens next?” he asks, still trying to control his laughter

“Well, after realizing what just I said. At first, I thought I was going to be smite by the divine considering how red her face is. But after a few beats passed and she just takes a few breaths till she calmed down, snatches the coins from my hand, and stomps away while shouting “Fine! I will show you what I can do!” and that's what happened, you know the rest,” I conclude my story.

“I see,” He said with a nod, “I mean it was not just me who was surprised when she suddenly did that you know, a lot of gods just think she has finally gone mad.”

“I see … why do you suddenly bring this up, did something happen,” I ask. 

The last time I check it appear they were already stable with a few of her followers and that orphan caretaker –what's her name again … Maria? Yeah, that's the one– help take care of the place. Even some of the gods already show their support, like the Goddess Demeter who donates her vegetables.

“Nah, I'm just always curious about it. I know you’re somehow involved in it, I just don't know what,” He smiles, “and now I know, “ He laughs.

I give him a nod and both of us fall silent. As he returned to his meal and I back to reading the information he gather.

“Hmm… Terry Cervantes, Dix Perdix, and … Ikelos … interesting,” I murmur after finding a few names that keep appearing in this report.

“You know … I still not used to your eyes,” he quietly remarks.

My eyes dart for a beat to him before back to the paper in my hand, “I was born like this,” I said as I turn to the next page, “It's genetic problem that makes my eyes look like a pool of ink, it's a family trait. And don't worry, a lot of people never get used to it.”

“No that's…” he cut his word short and just shake his head not wanting to continue his word while making a weird expression.

I look weirdly at him but in the end, I just shrug it as one of his weird antics.

“Anyway, do you have any interesting story you can tell?”

“Hmm, well, did you know that Loki Familia just return from their expedition?”

 “Yeah, I see them when they pass the 18th floor. Why?”

“Well, it looks like, this expedition end up in failure and it seems to have failed badly if the information I got was correct.”

“And how exactly do you know that they fail?”

“Well, the fact that they didn't bring their usual results and also they lost more than fifty percent of their equipment including their adamantine weapons. It makes you wonder what happens to them when they were down there.”

I blink as such lost, “... Is that normal?”

He shakes his head, “No. Unlike Zeus and Hera Familia, the way Loki Familia does their expedition is by doing it slow and steady. Their Captain –Finn Deimne aka Braver– will never put their Familia in a fight that they can’t win.”

“Did you know the reason for their failure?”

“No. They keep a tight lip on it … For now.”

I see, so it's probably just a matter of time,’ I thought as I drum my fingers to the table. “Anything else?”

“Hmmm, oh! They also accidentally let loose a horde of Minotaurs to the upper levels.”

“... I’m sorry, What!?”

“Yeah, you heard that right. Luckily no one got hurt …well, except that little rabbit,” He chuckle from the last part.

“Rabbit? You mean a Hume Bunny?” ‘God, it's so weird to say that words.’  

“Oh no, He’s Human. It's just he has white hair and red eyes like a rabbit. And don't worry, he just got splat by minotaur blood and runs around while covered in monster blood.”

“Well if say so,” I said as I put the paper in my bag, “can I ask you to do something for me?”

“Sure, you know the price.”

“Ikelos. Can you tell me everything you know about him and his Familia?”

“Hmmm … Shady god and shady Familia, there is a rumor that they are part of Evilus and also doing some illegal smuggling. Which part do you want to know?”

“Everything. What they do, their list of members, who they are affiliated with, what they smuggle in, their smuggling routes, tell me everything you know about them.”

“Well that's quite a tall order,” he put down his fork and knife, “and expensive too.”

I took a bag of coins from my bag and then placed it on the table.

"Perfect," he said with a smile. He picked it up and then weighed it in his hands "everything will be ready in two days."

“Good, I will–” It was then that I heard it, or rather feel it. As I look up, I see Valravn decent from the night sky and land on the table. Her black feathers are as pristine as ever and there was a message tied to her leg.

“Hello girl, you finally back,” I greet her while stroking her soft feathers.

She croaks and purrs as she enjoys my touch.

“Oh! So this is your–AUCH!!” He yelp as his finger was pegged when he tried to stroke Valravn.

“Valravn! Don’t be so rude!” I reprimand her while taking the message from her feet.

“Tsk, I swear, if I manage to catch you! I will make sure you end up on this plate!” He growls.

Valravn turns toward Mister and starts croaking wildly. While it seems like she just croaking and cawing wildly at him, in reality, she was currently throwing all kinds of insults that this world can provide.

“Oh really! Let's see if you can say that again when I pluck every single feather in your body!” Mister roared back at her.

Wait! You can understand her!’ I thought as watched the exchange between the two of them. “Okay, that's enough! Stop it! Both of you!” I said it, not wanting to hear it anymore, before starting to read the message.

Valravn huffed and turn toward me. She flaps her wing and land on my shoulder while still glaring at Mister.

“Something wrong?” He asks as he sees my frowned face while still glaring at Valravn.

“No. It's just my god wants me to meet him at a town called Agris,” after I finish reading it, I burned it until there was nothing left but ashes.

“That's quite far. So when will you go?”

“Well, I still have some business with the Witch. So it's probably the day after tomorrow.”

“I see. How long will you go?”

“Don't know. But considering the distance … probably around two or three days.”

“Hmm, that means you will be back around the time of Monster Feria,” he nods, “then I will make sure everything is ready when you return. Anything else?”

“No,” I said as stand up, “that's all for now. Just tell me if there is any interesting news when I came back,” and I started walking away.

“By the way … have you met with Freya, Loki, or Ganesha?”

I stop and glance back toward him, “No.” 

I was planning to do so but I still have not found the time nor the reason to talk with any of them. Also, why did you suddenly bring this up,’ I thought.

“Well … you should talk with them,” he suggested.

“Why?” My eyes narrowed and Valravn croaked dangerously on my shoulder, “Why do you want me to talk with them.”

“Hey, I’m not stupid. All of that information you ask can be used for one reason only,” he smiles, “and you can't do that all alone. You need an ally.”

He’s sharp. Considering his job, it's bound to be. After working with him for the past weeks and getting the information from him, I know he was not an enemy, but he was also not fully an ally as he have his own agenda. And I honestly don't know how much he knows, which makes him a dangerous individual.  

As a Magician, knowledge is the key. Everything I do needs to be prepared beforehand and to do so I need information. 

Information that he can easily provide.

“True …” I slowly said. “But why do you think these gods can become my ally?” I ask inquisitively, trying to find out what he knows and his motives.

“Well Ganesha has proven to be good at doing his job and I am sure he will be happy to help you if you just ask him to.”

“True, however, he lacks the manpower as he was spread to tin to keep the peace. Besides, I rather keep it all in secret till we got the whole picture of it, so we can root them out in one go.”

“Point. But if you really need manpower, you can ask Loki for help.”

“Well, to be honest, it's kinda hard to put my trust on The Trickster.”

“Oh my! Aren't you too cruel to her, to judge her just by her aspect?”

“Perhaps,” and to be honest maybe I judge her too hard, I mean as far as I know the only mischief she has done is not paying her drink and acting like a pervert old gazer. Unless of course, it was all part of her act. “Though I have a feeling she will not act unless it really involves her.”

“Well, you're not wrong,” he affirmed it, “she will not move unless it involved her children.” He smiles, “Now at least you know how to make her move.” 

“... Are you telling me to provoke her using her children!?”

“No, I never said it.”

“Yeah, but you suggest it,” I sigh, “and here you call me cruel.”

“Hehehe, then, how about Freya? She may not have the numbers like Loki, but her members are more powerful than her.”

I glance toward the looming tower, even if I can't see it directly because of the building around us, “I honestly don't know how the mind of The War Goddess works. All the people I speak to either want to sleep with her or just want to gauge her eyes. There is no in-between,” I turn back toward him and slightly tilt my head, “unless you have good advice that not including your wet dream with her, I'm listening.”

Mister smiled, not slightly looking offended by my remark, “well, if you want her help, first you need to know how she works,” he begins, “you see, since she descends to this world she only does one thing. Collecting jewelry. Each has a different shape and color, all unique in their own way, and she loves them all equally. But even then, she was still looking for the one that can complete her collection.”

I frown at this piece of information. What did he mean by ‘Jewelry’? I’m pretty sure he doesn't mean literal ‘Jewelry’, so what does he mean by that. Even if it means giving her some sort of tribute, I don't think I can just collect some jewelry and walk to Folkvangr … Fólkvangr!

Something clicked in my head. Odin tells me about his duty being managing souls. And in Norse Mythology, when those who die in battle, half will have a chance to go to Odin’s hall –Valhalla– while the other half will go to Fólkvangr, a place ruled by Freyja. If so, then what he means by ‘Jewelry’ is …

“Soul,” I quietly murmur. Looking at him I can see his smile, knowing I understand what he means, “Okay, suppose I want to ask her for help. Where do you think I can find this Jewelry, hm?”

“Well, I think you already have one.”

“Oh! And how exactly do you know these?”

He shrugs, “Just a hunch.”

“A Hunch.”

“Hey, my Hunch never let me down.”

I groan, “that means asking for her help is out of the question.”

“Ooohhh, why not. I mean you got a sexy goddess,” he starts to squeeze his imaginary boobs with his hands.

And there’s the old perverted geezer,’ I thought while shaking my head, even Valravn look in disgust at him. 

“I’m not interested in binding myself to another divine being, okay,” I pinch my bridge nose, “if that's all, then I go now.”

“Are you going to do your daily night walk?” he asks.

So he knows,’ “Nope! Too tired, I’m just going home,” I turn and start walking away. “Bye Mister, see you again after Monster Fillia,” I said waving my hand.

“Have a safe trip Nox. Don't be away for too long or you'll find the city full of monsters roaming around when you return,” he shouted back

“Haha~,” I laugh dryly, “very funny Oldman, very funny.”


A/N:

Welp, This is taking too long to make. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy it. In the next chapter, we will meet a few main casts from Loki Familia and more. 

Leave some comments/reviews. 

Discord: Schultz's server

discord. gg / x7K2rnVJ

Ko-fi: Schultz_von

ko-fi.com / schultz_von

 

Footnote, if you are interested: 

[1] Ptokheia: She is the personified spirit (daimona) of beggary. She is the embodiment of homelessness and absolute lack. She was a companion of Penia (Poverty) and Amekhania (Want) and her opposite number was Ploutos (Wealth) and Euthenia (Prosperity).

[2] Aporia: She was the personified spirit (daimona) of want, difficulty, and powerlessness. And here I talk about her as an embodiment of Powerless.

[3] Aergia: She was the personified spirit (daimona) of idleness, laziness, indolence, and sloth.

 

8