Chapter 10 – Delegation
1.2k 1 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The delegation to Atlantis comprised of Anhur, the minor God of War and leader of Egypt's armies, Matthew the Queen's consort. Hermes the Greek Messenger God and God of Speed, and the two Norse Valkyries Brynhildr and Herja, who represented the Norse Gods.

They boarded the main ship, while escorted by a further 8 warships on the way to Atlantis.

 Matthew didn't know what to expect, but he expected peace to reign.

After all, wasn't Atlantis known to be the pinnacle of human civilization? That would mean they are enlightened beings, which should mean they are predisposed towards peace, shouldn't they?

Matthew left that thought for now. Instead, he enjoyed being on the open sea, getting to know strangers.

Matthew seemed to get along well with Hermes, who seemed to enjoy playing tricks on the other ships.

And he slowly got to master Norse and get to know Brynhildr and Herja better. Brynhildr was a natural leader and the leader of the Valkyries. She was patient and good natured, and was a natural diplomat. Herja was her assistant and was more serious and stern.

Herja had a natural dislike for Hermes and didn't hide her displeasure towards him. Brynhildr told Matthew that she didn't like trickster gods.

"How do you tolerate Loki then?" Matthew asked

"Who?" Herja asked

"Nevermind" Matthew replied, surprised that she didn't know Loki yet.

He decided that he better keep silent about what possibly could be the future.

Along the way, they encountered a large sea monsters, which looked like large serpentine monster as large as two of their ships. However, the armies of Egypt seemed to confidently fight them off, even when they had to lose a ship full of warriors in doing so.

"Should we help?" Matthew asked, having seen that gods like Anhur would be able to give the monsters pause, and other Greek gods like Hermes could certainly fight one by himself

"No need. Our warriors are brave fighters. We should let them prove their mettle" Anhur said

Hermes grinned quietly while Brynhildr watched silently. Only Herja seemed agitated and eager to fight.

Their ship bypassed the monster, leaving two other ships behind who rescued the survivors of the monster attack after killing it.

The sea looked amazing from Matthew's point of view, with islands far in the distance and wide open seas in front of them.

Fortunately, the weather was good and they didn't encounter bad weather.

Matthew enjoyed being at sea. If felt free as the wind blew in his hair

"I wonder if this is what it felt like with Jason and the Argonauts" he said

"Who?" Hermes asked

"You know, Jason... the Argonauts... Heracles?" Matthew asked

Hermes shook his head, looking confused

"What about Perseus, or Ulysses.. I mean Odysseus? Achilles?" Matthew asked

"Should I know who they are?" Hermes asked

"Nevermind. I'm just recalling something from my land, far away" Matthew smiled, realizing these heroes have not existed yet.

"These people you mentioned... who were they?" Brynhildr asked

"Oh.. they are... legends from where I came from. Like Thor and Baldr" Matthew said

"You know Prince Thor?" Brynhildr asked in shock.

"You know of Thor too?" Matthew asked in reply

"How do you know Prince Thor?" Herja drew her sword and asked

"Whoa... I think we are talking about a different Thor. The one I know is a brave warrior, the most powerful of his pantheon" Matthew said

Brynhildr gestured with her hand for Herja to sheath her sword

"Calm down everyone. It is obvious they are different people with the same name. Our Prince Thor is our pride and joy, the first born of King Odin and Queen Frigga. He's still a baby and is definitely not a warrior yet" Brynhildr said.

"Perhaps not" Herja said, sheathing her sword.

Matthew knew he nearly slipped up again, so he decided to shut up about the legends he knew from before.

The journey took a day and a half, and he spent the time learning more about the Olympians from Hermes, and the Asgardians from Brynhildr and Herja.

Apparently, the Asgardians sent a contingent to Olympus, and Odin himself came to meet Zeus for the first time, bringing a few Norse gods, namely his brothers Vili and Ve together with a group of Valkyrie.

Brynhildr and Herje were sent to join Hermes to learn more about the Atlanteans, whom Zeus admitted to Odin, was causing problems due to their sudden change towards conquest.

"Land ho!" a sailor on their ship yelled

Matthew looked ahead to see a large landmass ahead of them.

"We will need to circle to go around to the entrance of Atlantis" the Captain of the ship said

The journey took another 4 hours, sailing around the landmass that actually acted like a barrier.

The other end of arguably the small continent sized island suddenly opened up to an entrance to the harbor.

Matthew gasped at the beauty of the place. 

From afar, he could see the mountains surrounding Atlantis like a natural barrier, with waterfalls on the northside, allowing the water to fall majestically.

Atlantis comprised of three concentric circles surrounding the main circular island in the middle, where King Atlas' palace stood.

At the entrance to the island and every concentric island, there was a large gate which protected each layer from the ships entering the harbor, with tall stone towers everywhere.

They were stopped at the entrance and a guard demanded the reason for their presence.

"We are here to seek a peace treaty. We have representatives from three godly kingdoms here, myself Anhur and the royal consort Matthew representing Egypt, Hermes representing Olympus, and Brynhildr and Herja representing Asgard" Anhur said.

"Only the representatives are allowed in. The other 9 ships remain here" the guard said

Anhur walked forwards with Matthew, Hermes, Brunhildr and Herja onto another smaller boat, which the sailor on board guided them towards the main island in the middle.

The third and outermost layer seemed to consist of many many civilian buildings and homes, all made from the same black, white and red stones that were also used at the outermost wall.

They entered the second circle of water, which was protected by a wall of brass which seemed to have civilian boats, travelling between the circles and to each other. 

They travelled for around half a kilometer before arriving at a tin wall that surrounded the second circle, which opened for them. 

The second concentric circle that was inside the tin walls, contained military buildings that can clearly be seen to be professional and military like. 

There were hundreds of warships parked inside the second concentric circle of water, which was probably another 1/3 kilometer thick before they approached a orichalcum wall and gate

They entered the gate and Matthew found that the first concentric circle of land was mostly empty with just the orichalcum wall to protect the innermost island. 

The island had a huge palace which was where King Atlas and his brothers stay. 

The innermost island and palace was surrounded by a wall of solid gold! Matthew was dazzled by the organization and beauty of Atlantis, he could see why it was regarded as the pinnacle of civilization. 

And while each layer of land had a wall and a gate, each inner layer was higher than the outer one, enabling the inner circle to see over the walls at the outer gate. It was a perfect alignment of beauty and function. 

"Delegates of Egypt, Olympus and Asgard, I welcome you to King Atlas' palace" the guard said as the golden doors to the palace opened. 

 

22