Chapter 23 – An Aspiring Inventor Moves In
296 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Oh! Good morning! Sorry to intrude, but is there someone by the name of Hisami Enatsu living in this mansion?"

That was what the girl before me said.

She had light brown hair, cut into a short bob that extended to her shoulders, with a pair of cat ears atop her head. She belongs to the Felinius Race, which was a sub-race that has the characteristics of a cat.

She was wearing hot pants, a black t-shirt, and a baggy black jacket. Various tools were hanging from her belt, and she had a waist bag on the front. Strapped around her forehead was a pair of goggles made of metal. She was wearing a big leather backpack.

Her attire was so out of place that, for a moment, I thought she was a time traveler who came from the far future or something.

It was a stark contrast to the primitive medieval fashions that I got used to in this world. I don't think I've seen anybody wear a jacket for the past centuries, until this day.

Wait, if this girl was wearing one, then does that mean that jackets were already patented and starting to become a trend?

........

I want to get one too.

A hoodie, preferably.

Hisami hoodie.

I'll have to visit the fashion store soon.

"Umm... Is your master home?" She asked. "I have some business concerning them right now."

"Ahh...!"

I remember now!

The other day, when I was about to collect ingredients for the Elixir, I told Cana about my vacant rooms for possible tenants. I was in a rush at that time, so I barely gave her any specific details. She must've only provided basic information like my name and my address.

But I am the master of this home.

Can't she tell?

...!

Wait, I just realized.

I was still wearing Nola's maid uniform. The advertisement itself likely did not include a description of me, so she must have mistaken me for one of my maids.

Oh no, what do I do?

What will happen if she finds out that I'm into roleplaying like this?!

If word goes out that the legendary witch enjoys being subjugated, then what will happen to the reputation I built for decades?!

Forget The Witch of Langle Field.

I'll be known as The Degenerate of Langle Field.

!!!

Noooooooooo, I don't want to be humiliated like this!!!

In a panic, I turned to Nola.

She was wearing my clothes at the moment, hiding in the corner of the hallway. So if I was confused for a maid, then logically, this girl might think that Nola was me.

[Nola, help!] I telepathically communicated to her.

Unfortunately, sending messages to another person via telepathy is impossible, even with this world's magic. As far as my magic knowledge goes, there isn't any spell for it at the moment, so in reality, I merely screamed it in my head, facing the direction of Nola.

She seemed to receive the message.

...!

Nola nodded her head as if she were saying, [Go along with it for now. Show her inside.]

I turned back to the girl and said, "Yes, the master is home! Please, do come in!"

I don't know if my maid act was decent or not, but she seemed to buy it.

"Pardon my intrusion..." she said, entering.

I noticed she was carrying two large bags in both of her hands, so I offered to take those as well.

...?!

Whoa!

These things are heavy!

What in the world are in these bags?! It's like I'm carrying a sack of bowling balls!

Lucky for me, I've been slowly leveling up my physical stats over the years, but I still had a hard time placing them in the corner of the living room.

Huh.

I can blow a dragon scale to smithereens using a single punch, but I still had to walk like a crab to carry these things?

Just what exactly are in these?!

"Huff... Huff..." I panted. At the same time, Nola emerged from her hiding spot.

"Ahh, a guest!" Nola said with a bombastic voice. "Welcome to my mansion! Please, have a seat!"

I showed the girl towards her chair, and she sat on it.

"Dear, may you be so kind as to prepare tea for our visitor?" Nola asked me.

"Yes, master."

I went towards the kitchen and poured water on the kettle.

"Ahh, Miss Great Witch! Nice to meet you!" The girl said, shaking hands with Nola. "Sorry for not introducing myself so sooner. My name is Kaena Albarance, an aspiring inventor!"

"You do not need to be so polite. My name is Hisami Enatsu, witch of Langle Field."

"I've heard so much about you, Miss Enatsu! The legendary immortal witch, one of the brave adventurers who defeated the monster queen! Almost everyone in the Human Empire has heard your name!"

...

I guess this was bound to happen eventually.

It's pretty hard to hide the fact that a 700-year-old immortal witch was still alive, so I guess I have no choice but to roll along with it.

I'll deal with it, somehow.

"Please, you are making me blush." Nola cleared her throat. "So, Miss Kaena, what business do you have with me today?"

"Ahh, that's right! Please, give me a second." Kaena rummaged around her backpack, pulled out a piece of paper, and showed it to Nola. "I've heard that you are offering to rent some spare rooms, and I came here to inquire about them."

...!

Nola was sweating.

Shoot, Nola doesn't know about the ad! She was back in the mansion when I asked for it, and I didn't have a chance to tell her since then!

What do we do?!

"...I see." Nola's voice was trembling, but she tried to keep a clean face. "I am glad you have accepted my advertisement. Currently, we have a few rooms vacant."

" That's great!... Actually..." Kaena, for some reason, was being bashful. "Do you mind if I ask if there are any rooms aside from bedrooms that are available to rent?"

At this I served the two of them tea, placing it in the center of the coffee table. After that I stood at the side, pretending to look like a maid awaiting further instructions.

In reality, I just positioned myself so that I can hear their chatting better.

"Our rooms are flexible, so we can easily convert one of the bedrooms into a different setup. May I ask what kind of room you have in mind?"

"I was thinking of renting two rooms if possible. One is my bedroom, and another would be my workplace."

"A workplace?"

"It would be inconvenient for me if I brought all my tools and junks in my room, so I was hoping to have a place where I can store them and at the same time serve as my office of sorts."

"Hmm... I see."

Nola glanced at me, waiting for my approval.

Well, I wouldn't mind, as long as she was willing to pay for the rent.

If a spare room is going to make her stay in this house, then I'm happy to provide it to her.

I gave Nola my consent.

"Would you like a tour of the rooms first? I suggest that we do so before making any final decisions on the matter."

"Okay!"

"Dear, may you please escort our guest to the vacant rooms?"

"Yes, master. Right this way, milady."

Entrusting the job of showing Kaena the vacant rooms to me was logical since I was the owner of this mansion.

"The ground floor is full of vacant rooms, while the second floor is the bedrooms. What would milady want to see first?"

"Hmm... I do plan on staying here for a while, so maybe we can check out the quality of the vacant rooms first."

"Certainly. This way, please."

It was astonishing how well I was pulling off this maid act.

Maybe I should try doing this as a part time job?

But that would involve me leaving my beloved mansion all alone. On second thought, maybe roleplaying like this is good enough.

The rooms weren't anything special. It was the same setup as I showed Nola on her first day: A bed, a table, a closet, the usual stuff. Now that I was visiting every one of them, I was suddenly aware of how bland they all looked.

If I want to make these rooms appealing to renters, I should've at least decorated them with some flowers or something.

I was worried that this lack of design would cause Kaena to waver over her decision, but by the look on her face it didn't seem likely.

Rather, it was the opposite. Her eyes were sparkling.

After showing her the bedrooms, we made our way to the vacant rooms on the ground floor.

These rooms weren't particularly flashy, either. Most of them were just empty. I was hoping to renovate these rooms into some kind of recreational space, but I never got around to actually doing it.

"I apologize at how bland the rooms are." I said, bowing. "These rooms were haven't been used in centuries, and over the years no plan was made to redesign the rooms."

"No, it's okay! They're perfect!" Kaena waved her hands. "It's perfect for my workplace! If I were to comment on something, it's that they look surprisingly clean for a room that hasn't been touched for a long time..."

Behold, the power of S-Tier maids.

Of course, in this situation I was the S-Tier maid, so on behalf of Nola, I puffed out my (large) chest.

I also showed her the other rooms, to see if I could further convince her to stay. We went on a tour to the game room, the swimming pool, the library, etc.

Overall, it seemed that Kaena was pleased with the place, and soon the formalities were over. Kaena was to stay in this place for as long as she liked, provided that she would pay for the rent of both rooms. The food and shelter were to be provided by us.

We helped Kaena settle in her new room, carriyng her heavy bags all the way to the second floor.

And so, the Enatsu Mansion gained a new tenant.

11