Act 1, Chapter 3: First Princess, get?
953 8 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I shall be in your care from now on.”

 

She brushed her flax-colored hair aside and smiled gently. 

 

Silence hung in the hall. 

 

Er… 

 

Eh? She’s talking to me? 

 

Wait-wait-wait-wait-wait. Something’s off here, ain’t it?

 

Let’s establish something straight off the bat: someone like her is way out of my league. Like wayyyy out. 

 

Stay calm. 

 

Stay calm. First impressions matter.

 

She’s the first girl who initiated a conversation with your lonely ass in your lifetime. It’s not a big deal. No, not at all. 

 

Come on, activate your inner peace. Inner peace. Breath in, breath out. 

 

Alright. 

 

Alright...this is impossible after all. 

 

“S-s-sorry?” Shun managed to ask after a long pause. 

 

“Please, take a seat.” King Arcadia gestured to an empty chair across the table with a slow wave of his bony hand. 

 

“Y-yes, um, Your Highness.” He forced his legs to walk towards the ornate rosewood chair and sat down. 

 

Help me, I’m not mentally prepared for this sh*t! What is this situation? Am I supposed to act calm? Confident? Happy??

 

“I believe Commander Fracas has briefed you on the specifics?” 

 

“U-uh, yes, he did do something like that but…” Shun tried to stop his legs from shaking violently with fright. “Sorry, Your Highness…can you just summarize why I’m called here in one sentence?” 

 

“Mm, sure.” The old man leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes. “Shun, I need you to be Princess Tryamon’s personal escort.” 

 

“Please, just call me Rya,” she interjected before glancing sideways at the King. “And Uncle, I keep on telling you that I’m no longer a Princess, but you still insist…” 

 

Shun widened his eyes in surprise. “You’re no longer a Princess?” 

 

King Arcadia let out a defeated sigh. “Yes, Rya here is the First Princess of the former Elysian Empire. She is currently living in exile in this Kingdom.”

 

Elysian Empire…I’m pretty sure that thick book did mention its history, but I didn’t bother reading it…

 

“Listen, Shun,” the King said in a grave voice. “I need you to ensure Rya’s safe passage out of the Kingdom. This is of utmost importance.”

 

The sudden shift in his tone caused him to stiffen. 

 

“Within the next three days, this Kingdom is going to fall into the hands of the Pacifists.” 

 

“Fall…? Wait, you don’t mean that…”

 

King Arcadia nodded his head in sorrow.  

 

Is he for real?

 

Oi, you’re telling me that a coup d'état is going to happen WITHIN THREE DAYS? Old man, aren’t you the damn King? What are you doing to your own country??

 

“We’ve been experiencing a crop failure for a year now, and the people aren’t satisfied with my rule anymore.” The King had a pained expression on his wrinkled face. “And now with the arrival of the Great Pestilence, those loyal to the Kingdom are fleeing. Half of the military is staging a mutiny too as we speak.”

 

I see, so that’s why the military barracks and the Kingdom itself are mostly deserted now. This Kingdom is in a worse position than I initially thought.

 

He suddenly remembered about the Commander, who always seemed to be in a bad mood 24/7. He’s actually in a dangerous position, isn’t he? 

 

Fat pig, I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I hope you manage to get to safety. 

 

“Shun, I’m afraid that the Pacifists are going to stage a revolution in this country very soon.” King Arcadia shook his head and blinked his teary eyes. “This country has disappointed you, loyal soldier. I…as a failed King, I truly apologize to you from the depths of my soul.”

 

No, please. Please don’t shed tears for me, old man. You’re making me feel super guilty, you know? 

 

“Uncle, stop it.” Rya placed her delicate hand on the King’s burdened back. “You can’t cry now. You’re still the King of this Kingdom, remember?”

 

 “...sorry, I showed you my ugly side. Please forgive me.” The King wiped at his eyes and shook his head firmly. 

 

“Going back to the subject at hand, I’ll give you a personal letter stating that you and Rya are the Kingdom’s envoy to the Principality of Elysium. Currently, only the Principality and the Duchy of Erewhon are still sovereigns. It doesn’t matter which two countries you choose to go to in the end—as long as you deem it safe, hide there and lay low. Don’t return to this country until the worst has passed.”

 

“I get that…but…what about you, Your Highness?” 

 

The King remained quiet. 

 

“Uncle…” Rya gave him a worried look. 

 

Shun understood the heavy implication of King Arcadia’s silence. The captain goes down with the ship—isn’t that right, old man?

 

“There’s one more thing I have to mention before seeing you two off.” King Arcadia turned to Rya. “Rya is special. There’s something that she possesses which the Pacifists will stop at nothing to get their hands on.”

 

“...special?” 

 

She nodded her head and touched the silver necklace that hung around her neck. 

 

“This necklace is a family heirloom of the Empire, said to be passed down from the Ancients three centuries ago,” she said quietly. “Although we are cursed to have our magic sealed, not all the Ancients agreed with the decision then. So, one of the Ancients imbued this necklace with magic and secretly gifted it to my ancestors.”

 

“Right now, this”—she pressed her delicate finger against the tiny yet eternally dazzling diamond on the necklace—“is the only object in this world that confers its wearer the ability to use magic, however limited.” 

 

So, in other words, that necklace is a cheat item…to think that such a thing exists in this world. No wonder the Pacifists are eager to obtain it.

 

“I believe you understand the importance of what I’m saying now, Shun.” King Arcadia’s languid eyes rested on him. 

 

“Please…for the sake of my niece, accept this selfish request of mine. I entrust the future of this country to you, young soldier.”    

Message from Goddess - Our romcom starts now! Yay!

Rya: Um, what's a romcom? I've never heard of such a thing before?

 

 

25