Act 1, Chapter 6: Keep calm and escape!
603 3 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The tremendous wail of a blow horn deafened Shun. 

 

“Sir, they’re lowering the portcullis!” the coachman cried over the howl of the wind. 

 

“I’m not blind, dam*it!” He clicked his tongue in frustration. “It’s only wood, why can’t you just ram through?”

 

“Ram through? But sir, the horses won’t do that!” 

 

“J-just keep going!” He jumped back into the carriage and turned around. That’s right, the silver necklace! We can use that cheat item!

 

“Rya, we have to—” His voice died on his tongue before he could finish his question.

 

She was pressed against the corner in the fetal position. Once she met his eyes, she let out a scared whimper and buried her head deeper between her knees. 

 

O-oi, why are you… 

 

“Rya, what’s wrong?” He dropped the rifle and crouched down in front of her. “H-hey, listen, it’ll be alright. Nothing is going to happen to you, okay?”

 

She began to weep, her shoulders trembling from the force of her sobs. Her lips quivered but she refused to say anything in reply. 

 

What’s this…is she experiencing shell shock? Did my rifle scare her? Sh*t, I don’t have the time to deal with this now. What should I do? What? Come on, think of something!

 

“Rya, can you hear me?” He grabbed her shoulders firmly and forced her to look at him. “Please! You have to use that necklace of yours to get us out of here, Rya!” 

 

She murmured something indiscernible and gazed at him with a thousand-yard stare. 

 

Seeing her dull hazel eyes glazing over, Shun felt an intense fear in the pit of his stomach. He lowered his head and shut his eyes in anguish. Rya, you can’t stay like this. We can’t be stopped here, not when I made a promise with the King. I’m begging you to respond to me, please. 

 

“...I’m sorry, Rya. Make sure to beat me up later.” Mustering his courage, Shun leaned forward and touched her lips with his. 

 

It was just the lightest of kisses, something he did out of sheer desperation.

 

Yet, in that fleeting moment, her warmth quickly spread out from his lips down into his chest and stomach. It was so gentle and soft that he was caught by surprise. A shiver ran down his spine and his heart beat even faster against his rib cage. 

 

Her hazel eyes suddenly widened and focused on him, seemingly inviting him to drown in their depths. 

 

Shun pulled away and averted his eyes. The lingering warmth on his lips screamed for him to continue, to probe deeper—but he had to control himself right now.  

 

“...s-s-Shun?”

 

“I’m sorry for scaring you like that.” He stood up and straightened his back, still avoiding her gaze. “You don’t have to forgive me, but I need you right now.”

 

“M-me?” 

 

“Yes, you, Rya.” He took her hand and gently lifted her up. “Listen, they’re closing the gates. Can you use your magic to stop them?” 

 

She hesitated briefly. “I don’t know…I was only taught healing magic by my grandmother, so I’m not sure how well I can control other types of magic.” 

 

“Just use the one you believe can turn this situation around.” He gave her trembling hand a reassuring squeeze. “I trust in your judgement, Rya.” 

 

She glanced sideways and clutched at the hem of her white dress. “I-I’ll try my best.” 

 

Shun nodded his head in affirmation. He leaned out of the window and hollered at the coachman. “We’re going to break down the gates! Once we do so, get us the hell out of this f*cking place, understand?!!”

 

“Y-y-yes, sir!!” 

 

He turned around to face Rya. “Do it, we’re counting on you!” 

 

She cupped the silver necklace in her hands and began to recite a peculiar chant. A moment later, a magic circle made out of crimson light suddenly expanded from her feet, covering the entire floor of the carriage instantly. 

 

Shun could hardly believe the impossible sight happening before him. Holy mother of God, so this is what the magic of this world looks like? 

 

As Rya continued her chant, ancient-looking runes filled the circle and glowed brightly. She frowned and erased them with a shake of her head before attempting to redraw the runes. 

 

E-eh? Did something just happen? 

 

“Sir, we’re reaching the gates!” the coachman shouted. “What should I do?” 

 

Come on, Rya. You can do it, please tell me you can do it. We’re this close…so close, Rya! 

 

“Sir, the gates?!” 

 

“Shut the f*ck up, dam*it!” Shun yelled back. “You—” 

 

“INFERNO!” Rya completed the magic circle and snapped her fingers loudly. 

 

A sudden wave of intense heat smacked his face and burned into his eyes.

 

Before Shun even registered the searing pain, a massive thunderous explosion from the front shook the earth and violently jerked the carriage to the side. The sack tipped over and burst open. Rya was thrown off balance and slammed right into him, sending the both of them tumbling onto the hard floor. 

 

The blast rang harshly in his ears. He nearly blacked out from the throbbing pain that wrecked his entire body. The coachman shouted something again, but this time he couldn’t hear what he was saying at all. 

 

Ah, f*cking hell, this hurts like sh*t!! He slammed his eyes shut and gritted his teeth. Stand up. Don’t let the pain get to you. Come on, stand up. You have to take control of this situation and protect Rya, remember? 

 

 “R-R...ya…” Shun uttered, wheezing badly as he did so. “A-are…are you alright?” 

 

She grimaced and moaned in pain when she tried to move. Her hands desperately clawed against his scorched uniform as she forcefully pushed herself into a sitting position. 

 

“...e-ephe…mera…” A smaller magic circle, this time made from white light, enveloped Shun and herself. 

 

The instant the light touched his skin, Shun felt the pressure on his chest being relieved and quickly gulped for breath. He panted and slowly lifted himself from the floor. 

 

“F*ck, I thought I was going to die there.” He inhaled deeply and checked his body for any serious injuries. 

 

Rya leaned back and heaved a sigh of relief, an exhausted look on her pale face. “That was too close, really. It’s a miracle this carriage survived.”

 

Shun stood unsteadily to his feet and leaned out of the window. “Oi, coachman! Are you still there?!”

 

“Sir, next time you do something like that, can you give a warning at least??” the coachman yelled furiously back. “I nearly lost control of the horses here, you know?”

 

“Sorry! Please keep up the good work!” He sat down on the bench and faced Rya. “Seriously, he is a good driver, so I’ll give him props for that.”

 

She let out an amused smile despite her fatigue. “Now we can finally escape, isn’t that good?” 

 

Oi. Please don’t trigger any more death flags— 

 

The faint but distinct sound of galloping horses interrupted his thought. 

 

This time, the coachman screamed at the very top of his lungs. “SIR, THE PACIFISTS ARE CHASING US!!!”

 

I knew it. Shun sighed, wiping the sweat off his forehead. A wild grin appeared on his face. “Well, BRING IT ON!”

 

Message from Goddess - Oooh, the climax is approaching!

Unknown: You already know how it's going to end, why are you acting so excited?

Goddess: I have to excite the readers so that they will continue reading~

20