Act 2, Chapter 2: Costume change!
200 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Perhaps because he had spent nearly two days with Rya in a row, Shun felt a strange unease as he submerged himself in the hot spring alone—as if his surroundings were all too quiet because there was a missing presence. 

I canʼt believe it has only been around 3 days since I came to this world…feels like Iʼve already been through much more than I ever got to experience in my past life. 

He was daydreaming while soaking his exhausted body, feeling the heat of the mineral water permeating his skin. 

But this really does feel so good. I feel like I can just fall asleep like this. 

He breathed a contented sigh as he watched the clouds of hot steam rise from the water around him and dissipate in the night air. 

A voice broke the tranquility he admired. “...your clothes are ready, sir.” 

Aish…and here comes that crazy shrine maiden again. 

“Give me two seconds!” Splashing some water onto his face, he stood up and waded to the edge of the hot spring. “I wonder what clothes did she—oi, why did you come inside without permission?” 

“I counted two seconds and you havenʼt exited, so I thought you were having trouble.” She placed a basket down on the floor. “Thereʼs a fresh towel and your new change of clothes inside. Please inform me if you have any difficulties wearing them.” 

“As if I will.” 

“Then, please head to the lobby as soon as youʼre done.” With that, she bowed and walked away. 

Muttering a curse under his breath, Shun dried himself with the towel and took out the clothes from the basket. As far as he could tell, it was a robe that was worn in essentially the same way as a kimono, but there was a single button on the side of the collar to fasten it together such that it looked like a round-neck dress instead. It was complemented with black hakama-like pants and matching brocade boots. Last but not least, the set came with a ridiculous black hat which had two wing-like flaps projecting outwards. 

He looked at his fuzzy reflection in the bronze mirror provided after he had worn everything. Huh, I really do look like those ancient Chinese officials in the period dramas they used to air on TV, donʼt I? 

Yet, he had to admit that it wasnʼt as bad-looking as he initially expected. Lian Xin must have taken her time to deliberately select each piece that best suited him, he thought. Well, except for the weird thing on top of his head. 

When Shun reached the end of the corridor, the reception woman was already waiting by the fountain. “Ah, the young soldier has finally arrived. The Kamuro is currently waiting outside, so you can join her anytime.” 

“Has Rya…I mean, the girl with me, has she left?” 

“No, the demoiselle is expected to arrive soon.” The woman tilted her head and stared at the rifle behind his back. “Is that your weapon? I must say, Iʼve never seen anything like that before.” 

He glanced over his shoulder and laughed. “Well, yes, but in its current state itʼs simply a heavyweight.” 

“Ah, may you permit me to ask for the reason?” 

“Erm...I need these tiny metal projectiles called bullets for it to work. Something like arrows for a bow, I suppose.” 

“Bullets? Mmhmmm…” The woman frowned slightly. “Iʼm not sure if this will work, but we have something called pellets in Shangri-La. Itʼs used to create fireworks, you see.” 

Hmm? He raised an eyebrow. “Firework pellets, you say?” 

“Yes. Perhaps the young soldier can try requesting for the Tayu Oiranʼs assistance to create custom pellets for your weapon...” The woman suddenly turned her head towards the left corridor. “Ah, it appears that the demoiselle is making her entrance.” 

As if on cue, the other maiden—with her head bowed down—emerged from the dark corridor in that moment. She quickly stood to the side as a familiar figure stepped out into view.  

Shun felt his breath hitch and inhaled sharply almost instantaneously. 

Her sleeveless low-cut gown, adorned with an exquisite silk sash, floated around her like shimmering water. A long gossamer shawl that matched her dress was loosely draped over her shoulders and back. Her flax-colored hair had been curled into a stylized bun, which was held in place by an elaborate gold hairpin in the shape of a phoenixʼs feather. A little make-up and a hint of jasmine perfume completed her elegant couture. 

“Sorry, it took us longer than we thought to fix my stubborn hair.” She smiled demurely, seemingly almost too nervous to meet his widened eyes. “S-so…what do you think?” 

“You look every bit like a Tang Dynasty princess,” he blurted. “I-I-I mean, you look absolutely stunning, Rya. So much so that I feel like Iʼm about to faint.” 

“...? I guess you meant that as a compliment?” She giggled and took a closer look at him. “Mm, that outfit fits you well, Shun. It somehow even matches the, um, hat on your head.” 

He touched the flaps on both sides of his headdress and smiled wryly. “You should wear one too. Then we can have matching hats.” 

“No thanks, Iʼll pass,” she mumbled. 

A knock on the front door interrupted them. “Shun, Rya, pardon me for the intrusion, but we will have to leave soon to adhere to our schedule-arisu.”

“Looks like we have to leave now.” Rya turned to the woman and bowed. “Thank you for hosting us, madam. We really enjoyed our short but enjoyable stay in your guesthouse.” 

“Thank you very much.” Shun shot the maiden who was with him a look as he bowed too. “Um...we hope to come back here again.” 

“No, no, itʼs the highest pleasure of mine to be of assistance to the both of you.” The woman bowed in return. “Please, enjoy your time in Shangri-La.” 

 

8