Act 2, Chapter 4: Shihime wants to…
172 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The prepossessing girl in a stunning emerald-green gown welcomed Shun and Rya into a washitsu-like room, where a polished wooden table was set for three people. “Dinner will be served first before we begin our discussion. Please, go ahead and take a seat.” 

“...please excuse us.” Shun gestured for a silent Rya to sit down on the chair nearest to the entrance before sitting down directly beside her. It was evident that she was uneasy, and he had to admit that there was a certain aura around the Tayu Oiran that made him cautious around her too. 

I can’t read her at all…what is her game plan here, inviting us all the way to her private residence the instant we arrived? Where does she get her intel from? Can we even trust this person? 

Shihime sat down at the table across them and turned to the set of wooden lattice doors behind her. “You may enter, Zhu’er.”

“Yes, Shi niang-niang.” The doors quietly slid open to reveal a servant girl in a tight-fitting red brocade dress. Almost immediately, she shot a glowing glare at Shun and Rya, causing the two to stiffen.

“A-ahem, Zhu’er is new here and has not yet learnt the appropriate manners,” Shihime said apologetically—seemingly breaking character for a brief moment—which surprised them. “Zhu’er, please present our guests tonight’s dishes.” 

Without hesitation, the servant girl laid out a lavish dinner with fine china, silver cutlery, silk tablecloth and aromatic tealights. “For the princess, we have svinja trotter in vinegar. And for the young soldier, we have stewed meicai with braised kakuni. Please enjoy your meal.”

The plate of strange meat and vegetables drizzled in thick black sauce seemed edible enough to a famished Shun, so he didn’t hesitate to take a quick bite.

“How’s the food?” Shihime asked, eyeing him curiously. 

“Mm, the meat is really tender, and the sweet sauce really complements the dish.” He picked up another piece of meat and brought it to his mouth. “You know what? I’ll even say that this is the most delicious food I’ve ever eaten since coming to this world.” 

“Surely you must be exaggerating.” She chuckled and turned to Rya. “What about you? Is it to your liking?”

She hesitated and nodded her head. “It has a unique flavour to it that I can’t really describe, but I don’t particularly hate it.” 

Shihime let out a relieved smile. “I’m glad to hear that. It’s been a long time since I last cooked, so I wasn’t confident about the results.” 

“You prepared these dishes on your own?” Shun murmured in astonishment.

“Us courtesans are trained in a wide variety of fields so that we can fulfill every need of our customers while also ensuring our survival.” She raised her cup, signalling for Zhu’er to pour her some brewed tea, and sipped her tea demurely. “On that note, if you ever think of touching me, I will make sure you won’t have any future generations.”  

“N-no, I won’t…” 

“I’m kidding, don’t look so frightened.” She set down her cup of tea and crossed her arms. “So, tell me why Iocus sent the two of you to Shangri-La.”

“It’s a long story, but Lord Iocus gave us this note which sums up the whole situation in the Kingdom.” He produced the note and handed it over to Shihime. 

“A note, huh…” She read it in silence and drank her tea solemnly. “I see, so you two are eventually headed for the Principality of Elysium. And it seems my role here is to shelter you two in Shangri-La and replenish your supplies before sending you off.” She folded the note and smiled. “I refuse.”

The Tayu Oiran dropped a bombshell on Shun and Rya.

“H-huh?” He stared at Shihime with mouth agape. 

“Let me make one thing clear—I don’t plan on extending any assistance towards the both of you as it stands.”

“But—” 

Rya interrupted him and addressed Shihime for the first time directly. “What does the Tayu Oiran seek from us in exchange?” 

Shihime directed a glance at her and laughed. “To read through me so easily, I expect no less from the former Princess of the Elysian Empire.”

“I must say that I’m not fond of mind games,” Rya rejoined tersely. “You seem to know our backgrounds very well, so Iʼd appreciate it if you get straight to the point. Or are you hiding something from us?” 

The tension in the air was palpable as the two ladies held each other’s gazes, causing Shun to gulp nervously.

Shihime smiled and motioned for Zhuʼer to refill her cup of tea. “Iʼm not hiding anything, nor do I plan to do so. This is Pacifist territory, so as fugitives from the Pacifists, I understand that you canʼt exactly trust me. But you see, I canʼt trust you two either—in fact, Iʼm taking a huge risk to my name by even talking to you this very instant. So, burdening me with the responsibility of protecting you two…unless you are able and willing to provide me something of equivalent value, I shall refuse and wish you all the best.”

Silence fell over the table. 

Rya finally spoke. “I have something that I believe will suit your condition.”

“Rya?!” Shun hastily stopped her from reaching her necklace. “W-w-wait—are you sure about this?” 

She shook his hand off and unclasped her necklace before placing it on the table. “Shun, even if we have my necklace, I…Iʼm just too inexperienced with handling magic. I can’t use most magic other than healing magic effectively, and these few days have made me realise that my necklace will just be a burden to us.” She bit her lip and turned to look at Shihime. “And besides, I have faith that the Tayu Oiran wouldnʼt let it fall into the Pacifistsʼ hands.”

Even if you say that, giving away a cheat item like this…! 

Shihime nodded as she admired the ethereal beauty of the shimmering silver necklace. “So this is the Collier en Argent of the Empire—rumoured to bestow whoever wears it the power of the Ancients…interesting.”

“With this, you won’t refuse any further, right?” Rya said with a resolute gaze in her eyes. “Right now, I’m only trusting you because Iocus trusts you—and he sent us to Shangri-La only because he knows that you are the sole person who can help us. So, Shihime…I humbly request that you assist Shun and I in reaching the Principality safely.”

A moment of silence hung in the air. 

“...you sure do trust in Iocus completely, don’t you?” Shihime scoffed and leaned back in her chair, making no intention of taking the silver necklace. “I regret to say that as much as I want to accept your offer, this necklace of yours is just going to bring me nothing but trouble should the Pacifists discover that it’s in my possession. You can keep your family heirloom, Princess Tryamon—and instead, I’ll help you two if you can agree to help me.”   

“...help you?” Rya narrowed her eyes. “What is your motive here, Shihime?”

Shun held her hand and gave it a squeeze. “Rya, let’s hear her out first.”

Shihime quietly sipped her tea. “What are your honest thoughts about my Kamuro, Hasumi?”

“About Lian Xin…?” Rya exchanged glances with Shun and shook her head. “If you want me to be frank, I must comment that she’s too young to be a courtesan. Shun will agree with me as well. I donʼt know the reason you took her in as your protégée, but I hope your intentions are good-natured.”

Shihime nodded her head thoughtfully. “You’re right, she’s just a child. I treat her like my own daughter, and I don’t wish for her to follow in my footsteps. A life of a courtesan isnʼt a life that she should lead at her age.”

She placed her cup on the table and paused. “That’s why, I want you two to bring Hasumi along with you once you leave Shangri-La and take care of her. Will you agree to my request?” 

6