Act 2, Chapter 12: Reimiruʼs breakfast
104 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Breakfast is served!” Reimiru cheerfully placed a tray filled to the brim with plates and cups on the table laid out in the teahouse kitchen. A porcelain teapot at the top wobbled and nearly fell, but she caught it by the handle just in time. “Why are you people still standing? Come on, sit down and eat~”

Shun gave Rya a sidelong glance. 

“...okay.” She sat down on the chair facing opposite Reimiru, and he hurriedly sat down on the chair beside her. 

Reimiru skillfully served them both each a cup of hot tea from the teapot. “Would you prefer steamed buns or porridge?” she politely asked Rya first. 

“Porridge, thank you.” Her smile seemed kind of forced as she took the bowl of watery rice seasoned with pepper and soy sauce. 

At least Rya was responsive to Reimiru. He decided that staying quiet was the best choice to make for now. 

“What about you, Shun?” 

“Ah…I’ll take porridge too.” 

“Here you go~” 

They ate in pretty much silence, since two out of the three at the table were guilty in the eyes of Rya. It somehow felt like he had been caught cheating with Reimiru, even though he swore (and it was the truth) that they slept through the night without doing anything else. 

D*mn, this is awkward as hell. 

Shun tried to focus on scooping up a portion of porridge with his spoon. The ‘clink’ of china against porcelain was unbearably loud. 

“Um…” Reimiru spoke finally, a sheepish smile on her face. “Sorry, I really didn’t mean to…” She threw a hasty look that seemed to say ‘help me out here please’ at him.

“Um, it’s also partially my fault, Rya. S-sorry,” he mumbled. 

“Shun, what’s with that disappointed expression you’re making?” 

“N-n-no, nothing!!” 

She let out a noise that sounded like an exasperated sigh mixed with laughter. “It’s fine, I already forgave you once you explained everything. I trust that you’re telling me the truth. As for Reimiru…” Her lips were still smiling, but the look in her eyes hardened. “…you remember what I talked to you about just now, don’t you?” 

“Y-yes…” 

He instinctively swallowed when he saw Reimiru’s fearful reaction. I wonder what Rya said to her in private for her to be this afraid. Jesus, Rya can be very scary if she wanted to. 

“By the way, Shun and I are going out to sightsee today,” Rya said, changing the subject. “I’m curious if there are any noteworthy places that are a must-visit in Shangri-La.” 

“Noteworthy places, you say…” Reimiru pursed her lips in thought for a while before smiling. “The street market in Central District is definitely worth a visit. And if you feel hungry later, you should try the dumplings that they sell over in the Nine Dragons District.”

“Central and Nine Dragons…got it.” She turned to Shun. “What do you think?” 

“Hmm?” He munched on the last bit of porridge and swallowed. I want to just stay at home and play my games…is not a valid option here, right. “I’m fine with anything, we have the whole day to ourselves anyway.”

***

Instead of the tram, they decided to walk to Central because, in Rya’s own words, “we have to experience the scenery on foot”. It seemed like seeing people walking on the streets of Hshiwara in the early morning wasn’t a common sight, because the few who were packing up and cleaning their storefronts gawked at them while they walked past. 

“Oh, right. Yesterday I said that I’d teach you some basic Shangrinese,” she suddenly said with an elated smile. “We can do that on our way!” 

“O-okay…” He tilted his head to the side in confusion. “How do you plan to do that?”

“Remember the torii gates that Lian Xin mentioned about when we arrived here yesterday?” She pointed at one such gate just right up ahead of the street. “You can see a Shangrinese character inscribed on the two pillars, right?” 

“Uh-huh.” 

“Each character means a certain number. That’s how Lian Xin knew which gate we were at. For example, this character means ‘twenty-one’. For now, it’d be good to memorise how to say from twenty to one in Shangrinese.”

Shun couldn’t even memorise the pronunciation of kanji beyond the basics taught in middle school; he highly doubt that this impromptu lesson would amount to anything. But since Rya looked eager to do it, he nodded his head and went along with her plan. 

“Rya, you look super happy teaching someone,” he remarked, laughing. “Iʼm sure youʼll become a good teacher if you ever get the opportunity.”

“H-huh, a teacher…?” She tilted her head sideways and giggled. 

“Wait, did I say something wrong? Why are you laughing this much?” 

“N-n-no, I mean, to become a teacher you have to be very knowledgeable in your field and your research is recognised by the continent,” she said. “Someone like me canʼt possibly…”

“Isnʼt that the reason you took up Shihimeʼs offer to improve your magic?” he commented. “Iʼm sure you can become a teacher one day.” 

She made a “hmm?” noise and smiled. 

“But maybe itʼll be when weʼre both old people.” 

“...wow.”

3