Act 2, Chapter 28: Farewell under the moonlight
41 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shihime turned to Reimiru, who stiffened when she met her gentle yet cold glare. 

“Why donʼt we start from you?” 

Reimiru gave an awkward cough and stood up hesitatingly. “Uh…so yeah, the Shingri is after Shun and Rya, and that may or may not be caused by me.” 

“Er…” Shun shot Rya a confused glance, who simply shook her head as if she had already expected such an outcome. 

“To sum it up,” Shihime said with a thin smile. “Reimiru sold me out in order to resolve her debts with the Shingri and keep her inn afloat.”

“Y-you don’t seem particularly surprised?”

“Hmm, well, it just feels like something Reimiru will do sooner or later,” Shihime murmured. “Of course, I have long prepared countermeasures against the Shingri, and Reimiru is happily cooperating with me in this regard.”

Reimiru flinched and hung her head in guilt (of being caught, most likely). “Uh, anyways, I gave the Shingri falsified information that you two are heading to the South District to escape the country. The plan now is to smuggle you two out through the North District before the Shingri or the Pacifists find out the truth.”

“I understand that this is a sudden development,” Shihime added, giving Reimiru a sidelong glance as she spoke. “Iʼve done what I have to do as requested by Iocus, and after assessing your individual abilities, Iʼm certain that you two will get to the Principality safe and sound. So, if you are both ready, today shall be the day we part.” 

Her grim tone served as a reminder that their time in Shangri-La was supposed to be temporary; Shun, knowing that was the truth, nodded his head firmly in acknowledgement.

Rya brushed a strand of loose hair to the side and bowed deeply. “We have overstayed our welcome, and we sincerely are grateful for your kindness and hospitality, Shihime.” 

“Itʼs my pleasure to have you, please donʼt say such things.” Shihime bowed back. “Before you go, I believe Zhuʼer has something for Shun, specially prepared by Neko.” 

He tilted his head to the side. “M-me?” 

Zhuʼer stood up and slowly approached him with a long, narrow object in her hands. The polished black metal glinted invitingly under the bright moonlight, and he involuntarily gasped when he recognised the familiar shape. 

“This is…” His eyes widened in astonishment and excitement. “My rifle?! B-but how—” 

“The bazooka thing was just a prank, idiot hooman,” Neko said without a hint of remorse. “It wasnʼt easy researching and developing proper bullets suited for your weapon, but I must say I did a good job at it. I gave Rya the blueprint for the ammo, so she can produce as many bullets as you need. Magicʼs one hell of a cheat, if you ask me.”

“Rya?” He turned to the smiling girl standing beside him. “So you were also in this too…d*mn, how did I not notice?”

“I expanded the magazine capacity so that your rifle can hold up to thirty bullets at once,” Neko continued, grinning like a Cheshire cat. “Just saying, shitʼs lethal as fuck, so you better be careful around this thing.” 

Shun whistled lowly as he received his rifle and felt its cold, heavy weight in his hands. “I canʼt believe Iʼm saying this, but really, thank you.” 

“Donʼt mention it.” Neko nodded his head towards Shihime. “If thereʼs nothing else, we should take our leave here. Iʼve a tram ready to bring you three to the North border.” 

“Three?” He turned around and realised that Lian Xin had joined Ryaʼs side while they were talking. 

“I look forward to being a companion on your journey-arisu,” she said demurely and quietly bowed. “I promise I wonʼt be a burden 

“O-oh, no, please donʼt say that.” He gave her a reassuring smile. “I look forward to having you with us as well.” 

D*mnit, can I still call this a harem if one of them is a literal child prostitute? What a sh*tty situation to be in… 

Of course, he didnʼt let slip his emotions as he faced Shihime. 

“I leave Hasumi in your care, Shun and Rya.” The Tayu Oiran smiled, though an uncharacteristic sadness flashed in her beautiful eyes for a brief moment. “Go, now. We donʼt have much time.” 

He exchanged a look with Rya and bowed graciously. “Then, we will be going.”

A gentle cooling breeze blew across the rock garden, sending her lustrous ecru hair fluttering around her face. With an almost imperceptible nod, she whispered, “may we meet again, young soldier Shun.”

1