Chapter 116 – Descending Shadow
135 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Are you certain you told nobody else?” Vivienne asked. “Just Oswald and the receptionist at the guild?”

Hump shrugged. “Vamir knows too.”

“He wouldn’t have said anything,” Celaine said.

Sighing, Vivienne placed a hand on the counter, leaning against it. “I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised. I never believed Seth could have died to goblins alone. The idea that someone from the Society wished him dead is far more plausible, though I didn’t expect them to try to pin it on you.”

“Did your master have many enemies?” Bud asked.

“He butted heads with other adventurers occasionally,” Hump said, shrugging. “That’s the nature of the business. It’s competitive. When jobs are short, people need to compete. There were certainly people that didn’t like him, but I can’t think of anyone that would have hunted him down like this.”

“Is it possible they just want to investigate it to close off lose ends?” Dylan asked.

“Or maybe that receptionist reported you after all,” Celaine said. “I told you that you shouldn’t have provoked her.” She sighed. “Though she didn’t exactly seem like she had the nerve for something like that, especially after Bud used his title.”

“Somebody from his past then,” Bud said. “From the academy, or his adventuring days before he met Hump. At the end of the day, the accusation means nothing without proof.” He turned to Vivienne. “Are these people important?”

“They’re not above the law,” Vivienne said. That doesn’t mean they cannot find evidence where it does not exist. If they truly did kill Seth, and now Hump has been targeted for a reason, fabricating evidence is a hardly a difficult next step.”

Hump gripped his staff. He tried to keep his breathing steady, to think clearly as his master had taught him. Deep down he was furious. He felt it welling from his core like a pulsing warmth, building as he thought. It wasn’t just bad luck. Someone had targeted his master—killed his master. They had to die. No. Dying wasn’t enough. They had to suffer for what they’d done, they had to—

“Hump?” Celaine asked, touching his shoulder.

He looked up, taking a breath and willing that anger down. For now, it was just a theory. “If they’re after me, I can think of only one reason why. Vivi, you said someone came after his spellbook before. What if they didn’t act alone? What if the reason my master left the academy was because there were too many potential enemies. It would explain why he didn’t want to get you involved.”

Vivienne furrowed her brow. “It’s plausible.”

“Whatever the case, the safest thing I can do is leave,” Hump said. “They’ll be able to find me if they check where my master’s medallion was last used. Perhaps they already have. I can go with Celaine to her home and finish my training there.”

Celaine’s face said that was a bad idea. “You’re not ready. My people hold little value in the lives of outsiders. If you cannot claim the egg for yourself, they will not let you keep it. And there is only one way to break the bond.”

Death. She didn’t have to say it. So that was a no go.

“Maybe this isn’t so bad,” Bud said. “The news is out, and the truth is irrelevant. You need to face this head on. Use it as a chance for you to clear your name for good.”

“This is the Wizard’s Society, Bud,” Hump said. “I’m a nobody. If they want to arrest me, they’ll do it. And once they do, it won’t be long before…” He trailed off. Everyone knew what would happen if they conducted a thorough examination of him. His soul was tainted, and that alone would be enough evidence.

Bud shook his head. “That isn’t true. We’ll go to Countess Daston today. She’ll help us, I’m sure.” His eyes were furious, and Hump had to admit, it felt good to have a friend that would get angry for him. “All hiding will do is incriminate you further. Instead, you need to secure alliances. You are not alone. You have Oswald’s backing, Vivienne’s, and mine.”

“And we will stand beside you,” Dylan said. “Even if Celaine cannot speak up here, the word of two Chosen is powerful.”

“He’s right,” Vivienne said. “If you are to take a stand, there is no place better. Seth ran all his life and it got him nowhere. Perhaps this is your chance to break free of his past.”

“Or this will be a very brief realisation as to why he was running,” Hump said grimly. Hump rubbed his chin, but no other options came to him.

He could run and hide, live a lonely life on the road like his master, or he could continue on his path. And that was only if he was lucky enough to evade their search. Hump tried to stay calm, but his heart was racing. The most powerful group of wizards in the kingdom were now after him for the murder of his master.

And perhaps someone amongst them was the culprit. Could he really live with himself if he took the easy way out? He didn’t need to think much about that answer.

“I’ll stay. If it’s a misunderstanding, I’ll clear my name.” Hump clenched his jaw, then said through gritted teeth, If it’s not… well, I’ll do something else.” They all looked at him. “What?”

“Your eyes,” Bud said quietly. “It’s like a shadow has fallen over them.”

“My eyes? What?”

“The whites have gone cloudy.”

Hump quickly turned his gaze down, rubbing them. He forced the dark thoughts from his mind, heart hammering. He had been doing fine before arriving in Sheercliff. There’d been no second visit from Lucile, and for the most part, whatever damage the gorger had done to his soul was healing. He opened his eyes when he felt normal again, and looked at Bud awkwardly. He knew how hard this must have been for the knight, but so far, he’d said nothing.

Bud forced a smile, and it did look forced. He turned to the closest staff member and called, “Cancel my messenger,” before turning back to the rest of them. “We shall go to Countess Daston ourselves. This is too urgent to wait.”

***

The carriage jerked as it started moving, and Hump’s stomach lurched at the sudden motion. He’d not had a chance to try the famous carriageway when they had previously been in Sheercliff. The system worked on a rotary system, carrying carriages to the top of the cliff on chains before sending them back down. It was a masterpiece of artificing and engineering, turning what would be a multiple hour hike up Sheercliff into a brief ride up the cliff face. Yet it wasn’t the application that was so impressive—an enchantment like this was difficult, but even Hump could have theorised a few ways to accomplish it—instead, it was the durability of the enchantment. Day after day, passenger after passenger, it kept on going.

The view was fantastic, though Hump was too furious to feel anything but annoyed at it. He felt out of place. This was something for the wealthy, for the pompous nobles too good to walk, but now that he was inside… it reminded him of his time in the dragon’s mind, falling down to a forest of broccoli. Now, it was a city laid out before him, thousands upon thousands of people going about their business. How he wanted to fly through the skies above.

It took about fifteen minutes for them to reach the plateau above. They stepped out into a wide, nearly empty street, flanked by fine inns and restaurants. People were seated along the edge of the cliff, overlooking the city. They were dressed in fine gowns and fancy suits, with jewels that made all the coin Hump had earned on his quests look like pennies.

From this angle, he understood why it was so easy for the nobility to look down on people like him. They were ants, scurrying about the streets, working most of their waking hours just for the little coin they needed to survive. Meanwhile, it was the people up here that benefited. Enjoying a late breakfast, even while in view of the encampment of refugees on the city outskirts struggling for food and shelter.

It made Hump feel sick. Pompous arseholes, the lot of them. Lording over their peasants like they were better. Nobles! Hump practically scoffed. But he’d done worse things than flatter a few nobles to survive, and at least Bud had spoken highly of Countess Daston.

As they walked through the city streets, Bud confidently leading the way, Hump felt incredibly out of place. Everything was too… clean. The roads were pure white. There were no children playing, or women cleaning doing the laundry on the doorstep, or workers taking a moment’s break. Each building was made of finely carved white stone, with tall walls and grand windows, or with balconies that gave them a view of the city.

Bud walked through the streets comfortably, despite the odd looks and glances their party drew. The knight didn’t seem to notice. Hump supposed it wasn’t uncommon for Chosen and adventurers amongst the nobility to return looking a little worse for wear, though probably not this bad. He’d bathed but even his change of clothes were far from clean. The finest thing he had was his Lockleaf Cloak, which after a little essence to restore the fabric, had cleaned up nicely.

The Daston estate was at the top of the plateau, the very height of Sheercliff. The road leading up to it was filled with the grandest of manors, growing ever finer as they neared. There were two guards stationed at the gates. They moved to block their approach, and Hump sensed auras rising from them. They were Chosen.

Hump was shocked. He’d seen them act as guards on expeditions, but never on such a mundane duty as this. Perhaps the monster issue wasn’t as bad as they thought if she had Chosen to spare.

“State your business,” the closest of the men said. Up close, Hump realised he was young, probably in his early twenties.

“I am Robert of Blackthorne,” Bud declared. “I’ve come to speak with Countess Daston. She’ll see me if you pass on my name, and please add an apology for arriving unannounced once again.”

The guard looked him up and down, then whispered something to the other. The second man ran off into the grounds while they were left to wait. It wasn’t long before he returned and directed them to meet her at the tower. Whatever it meant, Bud seemed to understand.

He led them down a small winding path. There were a few winter flowers that still bloomed, but for the most part the trees were rather bare. They were nearing winter now. Soon, Hump saw a tower further up the hill. It looked old—far older than anything else he’d seen here. And it looked over the Lower City like the throne of a god.

“Amazing, isn’t it?” Bud said, gesturing all around them. He made his way up the slope, looking down at the city below.

“It’s certainly something,” Hump said. He stood beside his friend, the wind on his face. “Are you sure we should be walking around the Countess’ garden like this?”

“I suspect it may be one of the few places with no risk of prying ears,” Vivienne said.

“You think she means to speak with us about something important?” Bud asked.

“We’ll soon find out.”

“Are you alright?” Dylan said. Hump glanced at him, to see he was watching Celaine.

She stood quietly at the edge of the cliff, staring off into the distance. Her eyes were wide and her mouth slightly open, her arms stretched out at her side. The wind billowed in her hair. For a few moments, Hump couldn’t do anything but stare. She looked ready to take flight, like a bird about to leave the next.

“When I was young, my sister used to take me on flights,” she said. “We would ride together on Starfall’s back.” She smiled, but her eyes were sad. “She wouldn’t let anyone else ride her. Just us. It’s been a long time since I saw the world from up here.”

Celaine stepped back from the edge and clasped her hands behind her back. She nodded to the left, and they looked over to see a woman approaching from the other direction. Unlike those they’d seen galivanting in the restaurants mid-morning, Countess Daston was not carelessly idle. She was in her training gear—simple trousers with a tunic, tied around her hips with a leather belt, and a sheathed sword. Her hair was tied up behind her head, slightly damp from sweat. It seemed they’d interrupted her morning practice.

Hump had expected someone on the far side of middle-aged. Instead, she appeared to be hardly a day over thirty, with the toned figure of someone that had trained her entire life. He sensed nothing from her. Bud had told him she was a sixth circle Chosen, and she contained it well.

“Robert!” she said, a fond smile on her lips. She approached them warmly. “You’re making a habit of arriving unannounced.”

Bud scratched the back of his head and laughed boyishly. “I really don’t mean to, Lady Daston. It’s good to see you again.”

“I remember telling you to call me Justine when you were last here.”

“Ah, indeed you did.”

She chuckled. “It is good to see you too. I was concerned when word reached me of the… situation in Fishers Lake. I’m very glad to see you are well. You must introduce me to your companions.”

Bud did so, gesturing to each of them.

“It’s my pleasure,” she said, nodding to each of them. “Now I presume you are here for an urgent matter. Should we forgo the usual pleasantries and move on to business?”

Thanks for reading! If you would like to read ahead, the following benefits are available on Patreon: 

  • Small Hedges read one week ahead (2 chapters)
  • Medium hedges gain access to content two weeks in advance (4 chapters)
  • Large Hedges get all advanced chapters (currently 4 chapters)

A big thank you to those of you that have already subscribed.

***

If you are liking the story and would like to support me, please consider leaving a rating, favourite, or adding it to your reading list. It makes a big difference in increasing the story's visibility.

Next chapter Saturday.

Discord: https://discord.gg/RNJWmVJVwx

4