570. New Circuit
1.1k 5 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“You don’t need to do anything specifically,” Edward responded. “But I must tell you: the process will be excruciatingly painful.”

“Your wording makes the situation even more concerning,” said Tohsaka.

“I’m just warning you so you can be prepared.”

“I can bear a little bit of pain.”

“Little bit of pain?” Edward shook his head. “If we had more time, I could have concocted a pain-relieving potion for you. Better yet, if only I could easily access my inventory, I could get it there. Alas.”

“Pain relieving? Couldn’t we get something from the hospital or pharmacy?” asked Tohsaka.

“No. The pain is from your soul, so those won’t work.”

Edward walked back into the summoning room. He erased the summoning circle before slowly drawing one of his own. “Quick question: do you still have the pendant to summon Saber?”

“Hmm? Why are you asking such a question.”

“Just answer.”

“If you must know, I don’t. I gave it to someone who once saved my life.”

Edward’s mouth twitched. “Oh, who is it?”

“You don’t need to know.”

“It’s Shirou Emiya, isn’t it?”

“How do you know? Are you using Divination on me? Stop it; Otherwise, I will use one of my command seals.”

Edward ignored her. In the Fate/Stay Night Series, Tohsaka did not give the pendant to Shirou until after she summoned her Servant and saved him from an attack from Lancer. With the pendant, Shirou—the protagonist—could accidentally summon Saber, one of the most potent Servants in the series.

Now, in this strange timeline, he was, Shirou received the pendant earlier. Most likely to ensure he becomes the seventh Servant and also summons Saber.

‘The Akasha contains the sum total of all events and possibilities. So, it created a timeline where small things like this are different. Well, that’s completely correct since I also have to consider the Arcane Empire.’

Edward finished drawing the rune on the floor while his mind was also thinking about other things.

“Done.”

“What should I do?”

“Just step in the middle and embrace yourself.”

Tohsaka took a deep breath while muttering under her breath, “It’s just a little pain.” She walked to the middle and said in a meek voice, “I’m ready.” The magic circle immediately lit up, and Tohsaka's screen of agony followed soon.

When she usually used magic, a visual representation of her magic circuits manifested in her body. However, they were not green as usual but dark red. Her body twisted on the ground, and her voice soon became hoarse.

‘Little girl, that’s the price of rapid power,’ thought Edward before looking at the window. The process only lasted thirty minutes, which, in hindsight, is not long. However, for someone suffering unimaginable pain, every second felt like an eternity.

Edward knew the process ended when the soft moaning and groan stopped. He conjured a large cup of water for her, and Tohsaka drowned herself in it.

“Slow down and pace yourself.”

“You! I thought I was going to die,” she complained.

“I told you it would be painful. It’s you who claims it was only a little pain.”

Tohsaka was too tired to argue with him. She could only drink water to feel anything in her body. After more than a minute of rehydration, she finally felt better.

“Better?”

Tohsaka nodded.

“In that case, why don’t you check your Magic Circuits?”

Her eyes lit up as she activated her magic. The look of shock on her face was palpable.

“108 Magic Circuits!” She genuinely did not know what to say. Most mages are born with less than 20 circuits; anyone above that number can be considered talented. Initially, she had 40 Circuits and was considered an elite in the magical world regarding talents. But now, she could not describe her newfound power and talent.

“It’s not a simple 108,” added Edward. “I added an additional Magic Veins that ran through your nervous system; it should grant you an additional 12 circuits. It’s a shame this is the limit of your genes, and there is no time or essentials to improve you on a genetic level.”

“Are you saying that my physical body itself can hold mana?” asked Tohsaka.

“That’s right.”

She did not know what to say. Was ancient civilization so much more developed than modern times? Why did this ancient magician seem to know more about science than the current era?

“There is no need to underestimate yourself. The weakening of modern mages results from changes in the environment, not the lack of ability,” persuaded Edward, as he did not want the little girl to lose confidence in herself.

“Now, ready to try your new power?”

“Of course.”

Edward raised his staff to create a barrier that surrounded the room. “Don’t hesitate.”

Tohsaka did not hesitate. She used all the attack magic she knew, including her family’s Jewel Magic.

“I can’t believe magic can be so powerful,” she yelled. “I believe now I can easily defeat some of the middle-tier Servants. And with the right circumstances, I can face any of them.”

“You would be way more powerful if your Mana Control were not so atrocious,” said Edward. “It was so bad that it physically hurt.”

“Hoho, what a big tone!” she sneered. “Why don’t you show me how bad it is?”

“Already allowing the power to get to your head?”

“I just want to know what the most famous magician in the world is capable of.”

The battle lasted five minutes, and by the end, Tohsaka was lying on the ground, breathing heavily. She had never fought a more grievous battle. Her opponent would attack the subtle incongruity in the flow of mana, showing her lack of control. She could not cast a single spell in the past five minutes because of the constant interruption.

“You should learn to listen to your elders,” smirked Edward.

“I’m not talking to you,” yelled Tohsaka.

“Alright, enough playing around. You can learn how to control mana later on. Our primary goal is to discuss our next course of action for the war.”

Tohsaka sat up with a serious expression, “Do you have any idea?”

“Our first target should be Lancer or Caster. Personally, I want to deal with Lancer first, but Caster is our greatest enemy.”

“Why them?” asked Tohsaka.

“Lancer contained the knowledge of 18 Primordial Runes in his mind, and I’m very interested in getting them,” replied Edward with shining eyes, but Tohsaka almost rolled her eyes.

“You never studied the Primordial Runes?”

“Only a few minor ones,” he replied, lying without showing any trace. “If I had that piece of knowledge, how could I lose to these damn Gods? Apparently, the thing contained some of the essence of magic. Plus, if we could find his master through him, we might find the rest of the runes.”

“I guess I understand why you would be interested,” nodded Tohsaka. “By the way, what is Lancelot’s identity?”

“Cu Chulainn.”

“The Irish Hero and Demigod?”

“The one and only.”

“So, his teacher is Scathach?”

“That’s right,” nodded Edward. “I’ve always wanted to meet her?”

“Why? Interested?” asked Tohsaka with a weird smile. “Rumor has it she is one of the most beautiful women ever.”

“Albeit tempted by her beauty, but it’s not the main reason,” he explained. “I just think we are alike in many ways: both rulers, powerful enough to kill monsters and gods, and having a passion for teaching the youth.”

“It seems you have a lot in common. But wait, how would you meet her? Is she one of the Servants in this war?”

“No, she never died.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yes, she became immortal and has lived for over 2000 years.”

“Immortality is possible?”

“It’s not as impressive as you think: keep the body from decaying and nourish the soul appropriately, and you can live long enough to be considered immortal.”

“I’m beginning to feel it will be frustrating to talk to you,” complained Tohsaka, and Edward shrugged.

“What about Caster? Why is she such a threat?”

32