574. Saber’s Wish
910 6 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Disclaimer: I cannot finish watching Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works. As a result, I’m writing the story based on extensive research using Wiki and Chat GPD. However, I’m getting confused with all the timelines and different outcomes, some with the same name. So, the plot will be different and a combination of many timelines. Thank you for your understanding.]

—-

“I know you,” said Saber.

‘Did she regain her memories? It makes sense since Shirou is not a true mage,’ thought Edward. “I doubt that.”

“The runes that appeared during your attack against Berserker. I recognized them since my master used to talk incessantly about that,” continued Saber. “You’re the Arcane Emperor.”

Edward’s lips twitched, “I’m guessing your master was one of the mages I summoned.”

“You know me?” asked Saber.

“Yes, the legendary King Arthur, ruler of Camelot, the disciple of Merlin.”

“Wait, you’re King Arthur?” asked Tohsaka. “But…but…”

“I’m a woman?” asked Saber, also known as Artoria Pendragon. I changed my name and gender because I believe the people would much more readily accept a man as their ruler than a woman.”

“I guess that’s understandable,” nodded Tohsaka. Saber looked at Edward, “My master used to talk a lot about you, your ideals, creativity, love for your people, and especially about your Arcane Rune.”

“I’m sure it was also very pleasant speaking to him.”

“You don’t remember?” asked Saber.

“Unfortunately, no.”

“Well, given who you were, it’s understandable why the Grail would not let you appear with intact memory,” commented Saber. If there were a Servant who could remove the Grail's influence without winning the war, it would be the Arcane Emperor.

“Why didn’t you tell me you lost your memory?” asked Tohsaka, who realized why he was asking so many questions after being summoned.

“You needed to trust me quickly, so it would complicate things if you knew I don’t remember a substantial part of my life.”

“You lied to me.”

“And for that, I sincerely apologize,” replied Edward, and Tohsaka rolled her eyes; she decided to give him the cold shoulder from now on. Edward ignored the little girl’s temper tantrum and focused on Saber:

“What exactly do you want to say?”

“I’m curious if you have the same wish as me,” she asked.

“I’m afraid not.”

“Why not? Don’t you want to see the revival of your Empire? Have a chance at a redo and correct your previous mistakes, maybe even make those gods pay for what they did to you, " Saber asked.

“I haven’t decided on that yet,” replied Edward, and he was not lying. After hearing about his legend, he also wanted to create another branch of the Arcane Empire in this world; his intuition told him doing so might have other advantages, and he even considered returning to all the worlds he previously traveled to and leaving the same Empire. However, he was still skeptical about Akasha and how dangerous this world was.

“You may not be the man I thought you were,” said Saber, looking at him.

“I know what you’re thinking — that we are similar,” added Edward. “However, I know more than you do. For example, I know the Holy Grail cannot grant your wish, and your attempt is futile.”

“Is this an attempt at persuading me to give up the war? Don’t waste your effort.”

“Let me ask you something: do you remember what happened near the end of the previous war?”

Saber frowned, “I do.”

“You’ve spent a lot of time with Kiritsugu Emiya. Do you think he was the kind of man who would abandon his goal?”

“No; he was an iron-willed mage with no bottom line or morality, willing to do anything to achieve his goals and ambitions,” replied Saber.

“So, why did a man like this make such a bold decision? Why did he abandon the grail and force you to destroy it?” asked Edward.

“Because…the grail could not give him what he wanted.” Saber’s face pale as she reached this conclusion.

“Assuming the grail is omnipotent, why couldn’t it grant Kiritsugu his wish? The answer is simple: either the grail’s power is limited, or something is wrong with it.”

“No, it’s impossible,” said Saber, who stood up. “You’re lying, trying to play  mind games.”

Edward shrugged, “I don’t care if you believe.”

“If something is wrong with the grail, why are you still going after it?”

“Because I know what’s wrong with it and how to utilize it. But you’re not me, are you?”

“In that case, I just need to force you to help me,” said Saber, summoning Excalibur.

“Saber…what are you doing?... Please, stop that.”

Everyone looked at the pale-looking Shirou, who had awakened.

“Master!” Saber rushed to his side to help sit down. “How are you feeling?”

“Much better,” replied Shirou. After calming down, he looked at Edward, “Is what you said true?” Edward looked at him in the eyes but turned his head away and ignored him.

“Don’t be rude,” said Tohsaka.

“I told you I would not hide my disdain for him.”

“What did I do to you?” asked Shirou, but Edward pretended he was there; he summoned a book and began reading.

“Don’t mind him,” said Tohsaka, who changed the subject. “But he’s telling the truth. The Grail has been corrupted since the previous war.”

“Giving the enemy important intel, are we?” commented Edward.

“Keep quiet and read your book,” yelped Tohsaka. “I’m still mad at you for lying.”

“I can’t believe so much was involved in the previous war, especially since my adopted father was also involved,” sighed Shirou. “Saber, why didn’t you tell me you know and serve him?”

“I only remember now,” she replied softly.

“When are we leaving?” asked Edward, cutting this conversation short. “He’s awakened, and you’ve paid your debt. Can we get back to treating them as enemies?”

Tohsaka paused, “You have a point.” She stood up and looked at Shirou, “You’re fine now, and since you’ve chosen to participate in this war, we are officially enemies. When I see you again, I won’t hold back, and I expect you to do the same.”

Tohsaka walked toward the door, but Shirou yelled, “Wait, Tohsaka. There is no need to do this; you’re my friend, and I don’t want to be your enemy.”

“Then you will die a fool.”

“That’s my girl,” praised Edward. “Focus on winning this war and revitalizing the Tohsaka Name. In the future, you can have any men you won’t and don’t have to settle for that bastard.”

“You can be annoying when you want to — do you know this?”

“Later in your life, when you’ve become the most powerful modern mage of this century, you will thank me for my wisdom,” replied Edward, and Tohsaka decided to ignore him. Edward took this opportunity to remember his conversation with Saber, focusing on Merlin of this universe.

The idea that they had a peer relationship instead of master and disciple filled him with glee. They walked home, and it was quiet. Once they reached home, Tohsaka claimed she was tired and wanted to sleep. Edward wanted to discuss their next strategy but did not insist, as it had been a tiring day for a 14 or 15-year-old teenager.

So, he took his time to review some of the benefits he already received for coming into this world.

34