Chapter 8
247 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mahnu, who was still following the King discreetly, was feeling torn on whether to help, due to the continued rotation of the human suffering, or not to help because of her urge to get away from something that could potentially hurt her. Mahnu knew, also, that she was confused on some feelings with the King, but she wasn't too sure on what she was confused about.

It didn't help when the King could also invoke memories like Princess and the young boy within her.

As Mahnu continued to watch the King from a far, she saw that the King got quite angry at her disappearance. The knights guarding him were quite astonished at his stubbornness but he, grudgingly, had continued the journey to Conrella.

The King's thoughts only made her believe that she had done the right thing in leaving. She was surprised on how much he thought of her. His longing engulfed her like big invisible hands over her entire body…

It was most definitely a feeling that she had never felt before…And a feeling that she was unsure on how to deal with…

He also seemed very curious about her, which could be the best reason to stay away!

If he found out that she was an immortal person, someone that didn’t need that ‘antidote’ that he often thinks of, what would happen!?

And she was also surprised on how much he intended to make her talk! That he felt so strongly about making her do it, Mahnu wondered if the reason was because he dreamt of her talking to his descendant. That perhaps he unconsciously knows that she could talk, but doesn’t and…It seemed to thrill him, much to Mahnu’s infuriation!

Actually, he was quite the enthusiastic person, wanting to do many things, whereas Mahnu lacked that precise feeling. But it seemed effective, because Mahnu realized that his enthusiasm seemed to grind into her and make her want the same things…Which greatly confused her…

Why should I care to want what he wants? Why do I feel like I should try my hardest to make certain to obtain what he wants? Why do I already feel myself slowly wanting to talk again, just because…Just because he wants me too!?

The King also seemed worried about her too, his thoughts leading to what she may have gone through and that he wanted to protect her. Which lead him to be confused because of how little interaction he's had with her. That was something that Mahnu had to agree with, as they don't really know anything about each other…

 

Reaching the capital, Mahnu kept her eyes opened, so that she could find uncomplicated ways to enter the palace, that was situated in the middle of the populated capital. She was glad that the palace was built on higher ground, thinking that it was built like that to remind people of who the royal people were and of their importance...But that also made it easier for her to stay hidden. Guards roamed around the gates and inner palace but Mahnu seemed unfazed as she figured that she would use the rooftops and trees to get around.

Getting used to the ins and outs of the palace for the first time, Mahnu found it easy…What wasn’t easy, was staying away from the King…

At nights, Mahnu had let herself in on the King's bed chamber, unseen. She sat quietly on the side of his room, in a chair, as he slept in her past.

It is a weird connection, she thought, I feel that I belong here, always constantly reminded of my past and feeling wanted by the King's constant pleasant thoughts of me at the same time. This type of connection isn't like Princess or the boy, it is different. I don't know what to call it, she thought.

But, already, it was becoming a habit, to always be with him while he’s asleep and follow him around during the day…And the more she did it, and found out who he was as a person, the more Mahnu wanted to continue doing so, strangely feeling better because of it.

 

***

 

When King Richard started to wake in the mornings, he would always feel like he's been watched over, strangely though, he didn't feel bad about it.

As the King tried to get back into his normal routine, Mahnu followed his every move, fascinated at how much he could fit in one day. His children's protection was prioritized because of the attempts made on his own life and within the first day of his arrival, the King finds out that his son was under attack once while he had been away.

He saw his children two days after his return, and she thought that he was very much the doting father.

King Richard listened to his eleven-year-old son enthusiastically, as the small boy went on about his studies and combat lessons.

They both got rather carried away when the young Crowned Prince mentioned about meeting the people in the south town of Harval for a brief time while the King had been absent. He had visited the Queen's father, the Queen and Princess also attending.

The Prince had loved meeting the people and seeing a blacksmithing shop. Watching the weapons and armour get made was very exciting to him. Mahnu liked the King's chuckles of laughter at his son's wide, excited eyes.

 

After the Prince left, the small eight-year-old Princess entered and ran happily to her father.

Her voice was still that of innocence, as she told her stories to the King. Mahnu watched her closely and wished all little girls could be as happy as the Princess. She seemed energetic and would jump around to emphasis what she was saying. Her energy had made Mahnu stifle back a laugh, as she was saying something that didn’t require such a dramatic effect. Yes, she thought, little girls like her, who could spread happiness like that, would be great for the humans.

There was a great difference between her and her brother, as she was obviously more girly but also more energetic and dramatic and stuck in her own little world. Her brother, on the other hand, was excited and seemed to be someone that wanted to learn and see the world, knowing it held a lot more different things, then here at the palace. It seemed that the Crowned Prince was growing up, faster then the King himself wished, as she heard his thoughts.

He loved his children very much and didn’t want them to miss out on being children, just because they were royalty. King Richard also wanted his children to take their time and learn in their own ways for now, as he was willing to wait for them to mature on their own.

It wasn’t like they didn’t have teachers, but Mahnu could see that King Richard had to mature at a young age and that was why he didn’t want that for his children.

 

 

Mahnu, over the days, started to also follow the Princess. It started to become a game for both of them, when Mahnu would appear and disappear, and the Princess started to look for her wherever she went.

When only the Princess was looking, Mahnu gave her a flower and then disappeared just as fast.

When the Princess talked to her father about her new ‘friend’, Mahnu would smile to his thoughts of wondering if it was her or not.

Mahnu was surprised on how attuned to her the King was, as he was already thinking that she was there watching over him…Even when he was sleeping…

Mahnu wasn't surprised when he even admitted that he liked the idea of her watching over the Princess as well.

Even then, it was still apparent that the thought that it could be her close by, distracted the King. He wasn’t sure if it was the correct assumption and wished he could find out, but he couldn’t help but think that this was the only answer…Or was it the only answer he wanted it to be…

Of course, he wanted it to be her, but there was a slight chance that if it was someone else, that could mean that it was extremely dangerous…As someone was getting in very close and able to disappear and appear out of nowhere!

Yet, giving the Princess a flower…And with the known speciality of the maiden of appearing and disappearing out of nowhere…

Was he to strengthen the guards for more protection or…

The King found it quite annoying, because his children’s lives were precious, yet if he strengthened protection and it was the maiden, wouldn’t he be stopping her from coming to see him and the Princess?

The thoughts of others observing the distracted King acknowledged a change in his behaviour, worrying Mahnu slightly. Was it that she was too much of a distraction?

So…With not much choice, Mahnu could only let the Princess see her better, so that the Princess could state what her new ‘friend’ looked like, so that the King knew for sure who it was…

 

That night, the Queen could finally see his Majesty and Mahnu was surprised that she seemed mature…Until she started to talk.

She seems to worry about needless things, Mahnu noticed. She thinks herself better than others.

A superficial, materialistic Queen didn't seem to fit what Mahnu had imagined as the King's Queen. When the Queen left, after talking, Mahnu wondered why they weren't closer.

Was it because of it being an arranged marriage? Mahnu tried to understand the concept of it and thought it not much of a problem. Is it necessary to become very close to your spouse?

Mahnu had seen older people together after a long time and was curious on how they had lasted so long together.

Princess had seemed happy with her husband, to stay with him and not be unfaithful…And Mahnu had seen unfaithful people and sort of understood them to a degree. Some where unfaithful because they really did want another woman or man. They say they ‘fell in love’ and that love was not understood by her but seemed somewhat a normal thing to see in her existence…For over a thousand years, ‘falling in love’ was still something used today…

Some people were unfaithful because their spouse was not someone that they wanted to be with and Mahnu had seen the spouse being unfriendly or uninviting, making her think that it was normal once again to have the other stray elsewhere to get a more pleasurable experience.

What she didn’t understand, was when someone did become unfaithful when they had not ‘fallen in love’ and their spouse was being good towards them…That was when Mahnu did not quite understand the need that others seemed to feel. It seemed men had the nature of being more sexually active then females…But females did seem to stray as well, and it was hard for Mahnu to think if it was normal or natural…

Some people were unfaithful, and some weren’t…

It was a sighing matter, especially when Mahnu felt the breaking heart of those who wanted their spouses’ affections, as they seem to find themselves ‘unworthy’ or simply jealous.

Too many factors and too many different people…But here, the King and Queen had not been unfaithful but carried around a solitude air around them like they weren’t lovers or spouses…

What a strange relationship, she thought…

Were the King and Queen that comfortable together that they didn't need to see each other for a long period of time and not spend too much time together? Then, wouldn't it have been easier if they were just friends, so that they could both find someone else that they wanted to be with more? Why do arranged marriages exist in the first place? Even if it was just for the sake of having two families come together, was it something that really worked?

Mahnu shook her head. It seemed like she didn't know or understand much when it came to human relationships…

 

***

3