But!?
1.8k 17 61
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Leora Rosa Chauvenne,” the Crown Prince’s cold eyes glared down at me and his latest fling, a young baroness heir who… had a name I honestly couldn’t remember. I had no reason too, just in the time we’d been at this school my fiancé had gone through four different women! I mean honestly! I don’t care if you don’t like me, but at least show some propriety!

“Because of your cruel actions towards Mariette, and your disgusting behavior this past year, I am annulling our engagement!” …What? I mean the engagement is whatever, I never liked you anyway but…

“I would ask your highness elaborate on my cruel actions towards Miss Mariette,” I tilted my head downwards and kept my voice even. The murmurs around the room were fairly quiet in this fiasco, but I knew they were all mumbling something about whatever this dunce of prince meant.

“Don’t pretend as if you don’t know! Her bag was torn up, she was tripped numerous times, and her home work was even covered in ink!”

…That’s it? ISN’T SHE JUST CLUMSY!?  

I felt my face contort slightly, “And my behavior?”

The crown prince sneered, “You’ve not only treated Mariette poorly, but you’ve also outright ignored any of my summons, all attempts to speak with you were ignored, and I’ve heard that you speak particularly horribly of myself and Mariette!”

That’s because you’re an idiot. Like a complete and total colossal idiot. I fought back a sigh that threatened to escape my lips, “I believe I am unable to argue anything in regards to my manner of speech regarding your highness or Miss Mariette, however, I believe the rest of your complaints have no basis. Whatsoever.”

He sneered again. Honestly, that expression ruins his face, which has to be the only redeeming quality I feel he has.

“I have proof towards all of this,” he gestured towards… Ah yes, of course, his other flings. Figures. “As such, I shall have you imprisoned until we can follow through with your execution.”

What? Wait. What? Hold on… Execution!? Are you serious? What kind of…

“If you don’t want her brother, shall I take her?” The voice came from behind me, in the crowd, but I knew it quiet well. That soft husky voice belonged to none other than…

The crown prince’s face shifted from that look that made it seem like I was filth he had stepped in to an expression of utter hatred. That definitely had to be him then, the Second Prince. Ryleigh Elias Hansart, who was the son of the king’s concubine.

Wait… Take me? Pardon?

“And why would you want her, brother?” the crown prince practically spat.

“Because I want her, of course, what other reason would I need, dear brother mine?” the sound of footsteps behind me grew closer and the next thing I knew I had been pulled to his side. Wait wait wait… Stop. I don’t think I’ve ever had someone hold me like this!? I felt my face start to burn.

“…Fine, but keep her away from me,” the crown prince sneered as he turned around and left the room before I could recover. I heard, and felt, Prince Ryleigh chuckle. His arm left my waist and I found myself eye level with him as he bowed to offer his hand.

“May I have this dance, Lady Leora?”

“Oh I… um… yes, I suppose,” I’m fairly certain my face was almost on fire.


 

The dance had ended not too long ago and Prince Ryleigh had seen the guests off in his brother’s place. While he had done so I sat awkwardly at the table he seen me to after our dance. Unlike his brother, his dancing was elegant and graceful, and I must admit…

It wasn’t just fun alone, it made my heartbeat faster than anything ever had before. I had my head buried in my hands when he returned and it was quite difficult to remove it from them. “Lady Leora?” that soft husky voice expressed concern as I tried to bury my face deeper into my hands.

I heard a chuckle and a soft, beautiful hand pulled my hands from my face as it’s pair lifted my chin upwards. I was met with Ryleigh’s amber eyes, sparkling with amusement. I swallowed as my eyes wandered his gorgeous face. I was really really weak to beautiful things and so my face started to heat up again.

Another chuckle, “How shocking that the noble Lady Leora has such a cute side to her.” Any words I had felt like saying caught in my throat.

“Before you accept my proposal, Lady Leora,I must tell you something,” his expression became somewhat sad. His hand left my chin, but my eyes followed him as he sat down across from me. “When I was young, my life was a bit different. At first it was like any other child of royalty, presents, gifts from mother and father, but later on… Well, it’s nothing terribly dark, but it became obvious to them I wasn’t like other kids my age. I was around 11 or 12 at the time and I had my first crush, on one of the lady knights my mother trains.”

Well that wasn’t so strange… Boys often do that, don’t they? There has to be more if he’s telling me this…

“Of course, what I feel for you is nothing like that. I’ve seen you over the past few years, working so hard at your studies, tolerating my brother’s horrible treatment, and been slowly ostracized from the other students. I find such hard working girls terribly cute you know?” He smiled and winked, which I would later swear almost made my brain itself fizzle out.

“However, for me, finding girls much better than boys isn’t normal, you see,” his smiled turned sad, and my brain started racing. Girls better than boys, wasn’t that normal for a boy?

His hands travelled towards his ponytail, and removed the tie, before he grabbed a napkin and started to wipe at his face for few moments. I watched my confusion burning before he removed the standard wand for mage students and waved it over his suit.

He pulled the napkin from his face as the suit became a gorgeous dress, “You see,” as the tie around his neck disappeared that soft husky tone became a bit lighter.

“I’m not quite the Second Prince, Lady Leora,” the beautiful woman that stood in the prince’s stead said, “I happen to be the Second Princess, and I like you quite a bit, Lady Leora.” That trademark smile seemed to shine much brighter on that softer face.

“I… I… Um…” I spluttered.

“You’re so cute when you’re flustered, Leora.”

I found her smile almost blinding as my heartbeat resounded in my ears.

61