chapter 5
1.7k 9 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death. No, that is not a reference to my location, but my suffering.

We were currently walking along a road towards a town. The goddess was yapping all the way there.

“Why do I have to walk? Can’t you do something? This is not how you treat a goddess!”

I received a message from the first-goddess Helen. It was a text message saying:

It has come to my attention that you were not given any skills from goddess Athena. Sadly, any solution will have to wait until you save that world. First-god, Zeus is working on a possible solution, that will allow us to aid you. Do your best! A reward awaits you if you save all three worlds.

I can’t help but sigh…

What do you mean by reward? What can you possibly give me? No. Scratch that. Shouldn’t you be rewarding me for saving those other worlds after your goddess’s screw-up? Take responsibility, boss lady…

“Hey… Are you listening to me?”

“Of course not dummy… I’ve got 99 problems, but…”

“You are about to say something rude, aren’t you! Have you forgotten who I am?”

“How can I? You have been yapping about yourself for the past few hours. I bet if I took you to the demon king, you would yapp him to death.”

“You… You!”

“Call me when you think of a verb lady…” I said before continuing my walk

I had too much on my plate right now to continue this pointless argument. This was a world where past heroes and goddesses had died trying to save.

It means that the final boss is no fool. He probably has plans and backup plans to deal with someone like me.

He is probably super powerful too.

I can only rely on my past experiences to see me through this.

There are three ways to solve this problem.

One. Assassinate him. No matter how powerful an opponent is, a well-placed sword, or in this case holy sword, would do the trick. Or I can get all the most powerful poisons in the world and mix them to make a super killer poison.

Hmm… The super killer poison may have worked on that evil king in reincarnation 33 but I doubt a demon king would fall for it. Plus there is a chance that he has immunity against poisons… Tch… Moving on then…

Second. Start a revolution. I once overthrow an evil empire in reincarnation 21 by starting a revolution. If the people are oppressed to the extreme then I might just be able to start something.

This plan does seem promising…

Third. Earth weapons. In some of my reincarnations, I was able to make guns and weapons of mass destruction. United Nations treaties don't apply to isekai, do they? Anyhow, It takes time to gather the materials but thanks to my blacksmith job in reincarnation 12, I am pretty confident in my capabilities. I also took the liberty of researching more on military weapons when I returned to my original world.

Hmm… There is a chance I won’t find the required materials… But I will put this plan down as a maybe.

“Hey dummy!” the goddess called out to me

“Yes.”

“I am hungry.”

“Even if you say that… Unless you want to eat the horned bear.”

“Don’t be ridiculous… I am a goddess… I need proper food.”

“Then just wait… Look! the city is in view.”

“Really!?”

“Over there,” I said while pointing

“Finally… I can bath and be pampered by servants.”

“Huh!?”

“What is wrong human… You look surprised.”

“Oi… Oi… Have you forgotten why we are here?”

“Of course not.”

“Why do I have a hard time believing that?”

“How disrespectful.”

“Listen here, bimbo… We are in enemy territory… keeping a low profile is crucial for our survival. Understand?”

“Humph…”

Well, it is not like we have the money to live in luxury. Once she grasps that she will let it go.

We arrived at the city gate and waited outside. There was a long line of people and carriages waiting to enter.

While the goddess was busy mumbling to herself, I looked at the people's faces. They were no signs of them being too harshly oppressed which concerned me…

Tch… Looks like a revolt is out of the question.

I overheard the conversation people were having. I paid particular attention to two people who seemed to be peddlers.

“Did you hear? The demon king is planning a huge celebration in the capital soon.”

“I heard it was in 3 months.”

“Really? I heard it was 9 months.”

“Curious don’t you think.”

“Yep… This is the demon king we are talking about… All information about him is always accurate to the point that you can’t even sell it.”

“One thing is for sure. They say that the beauty he captured long ago will be the centerpiece.”

“Really?”

“Yeah, I wish I could see the fallen maiden.”

“Why don’t we save some cash and head towards the capital?”

“Don’t jest.  Do you know how much money you need just cross the ocean?”

“Nothing wrong with a little daydreaming, right?”

“Silly old fool. Looks like we are next… Let’s move”

The demon king is planning an event and no one knows the exact date? I am getting a bad feeling about this.

“Next!” A guard shouted as the goddess and I approached

“Prepare for a status check.” he instructed

A quick glance at the neighbors next to us showed them stretching their hands towards the guard in front of them.

We copied their action and did the same.

The guard stretched his own hand towards us and uttered < Status Check >

Must be a skill. It is probably something like an appraisal. Will our identities be exposed? The first-goddess Helen did say that she masked our arrival in this world and created identities for us… But from experience, I have no faith in goddesses…

I was nervous inside. I glanced at the goddess and she appeared to be not interested in the situation

Is she dumb? Or just absent-minded.

Whichever it was, she was clearly not going to be useful in this situation.

The guard opened his mouth after reading something that appeared on the screen in front of him.

Sojuro and Athena. No criminal records. No children. Married couple. You may pass.

“HUH!?” The goddess yelled

Looks like she wasn’t absent-minded after all. Considering that she realized from the guards' words that…

THE GODDESS AND I, ARE A MARRIED COUPLE. WTF!

36