Chapter 4: My First Hunt
240 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Are you ready, Aiden?" Ivar asked me, dressed for our hunt.

I sharpened the head of my spear and packed as many tools as necessary. "Ready."

Today was the day I am going to go hunting for the first time. Originally, it was going to be a clan hunt but the village elders received a message via hawk that informed the elders that the Ichth tribe would arrive around this evening so more focus was placed on preparing the village and the goods for trade. The other hunters would be responsible for handling security, Ivar needed to stay to help with Shasha assisting. Because I would be going alone, the Tunu clan gave me a mixture of powdered plants that attracts animals and gave me advice on the where to use it to prevent any danger to the village.

"Are you sure you want to do this? We could always move the hunt to a later date?" Ivar asked, concerned.

"I don't know how long I'll be staying here as winter is almost over. If I can convince the Ichth to help me, I may leave in the near future." I tried to explain. "Besides, the location the elders gave me is only an hour or so hike from here. I'll hunt a few rabbits and return."

"Very well. Promise us you'll be safe." Deka spoke. "I packed you and Tremble some provisions in case you get hungry." She gave me a hug.

"Don't try to handle more than you can." Ivar warned. "If you think it's too dangerous, run."

Mayu carried Tremble while she looked mat me forlorn. "Will you come back?"

She dropped my jackalope and patted her head. "I promise I'll come back safely."

Tremble got to his feet and stood by my side. Before we left, I stopped to speak with Shasha. "I'm about to go on a solo hunt in the wilderness, if I die I just want to tell you... you are a crusty bitch." I didn't need to tell her that, but I did it just in case.

She looked at me confused. "What is 'bitch'?" It dawned on me that I used a word from English.

"It means a woman who is very irritable and difficult to be around." I answered.

She forward her brows. "Try not to be killed."

I was wearing my armor over my tunic but under the jacket and shoes my host family gave me. I slung my pack over my shoulder, grabbed my spear, and signaled for Tremble to get moving. My hosts led me out the clan house, through the village as all the clans were getting ready for their guests arrival. The remaining clans knew about me but none ever saw me, so I got a lot of gazes similar to the ones when I first arrived but most people chose to avoid me without starting anything. As we reached the edge of the village, I waved goodbye to everyone and began my trek.

An hour hike is a great way to get some fresh air and clear your mind, but hiking on a path to hunt is not as relaxing. Tremble walked along side me as we passed an assortment of animals from other jackalopes, foxes, caribou, even spotting a few seals on as we passed by a cliff overlooking the ocean. Eventually, I made it to the location my instructions from the elders gave me, finding a rocky pasture with no vegetation and a large boulder here and there. The elders didn't tell me how to use the power bait, so I decided to just spread a little around until I emptied the bag; like an hunter, or fisher for that matter, waiting took a long time, about another hour, until I heard a steadily increasing sound in the direction Tremble was facing. I looked out onto the horizon when I saw a fast approaching stampede of game.

"Oh crap, this bait is more protenant than I realized."

Scared, I picked up Tremble and ran for cover behind a large rock; rolling like thunder, the stampede rushed through the land to an almost syncopated beat of thuds. Jackalopes, caribou, foxes, even birds were blitzing all around me until the thumbing came to a gradual end. After it was all over, I let go of Tremble and looked at the running animals, curious of why they didn't stop.

"That's odd." I said to nobody, maybe to Tremble to not feel lonely. "They should have been running to the bait, what could-" My questions were answered when I turned around and saw a wolf the size of sedan with brown fur, large teeth, and glowing blue eyes.

It was a lone wolf, possibly a young one looking for territory, but judging by how it was salivating it was hungry and drawn to the bait as the other animals but scared them all off.  My spear was a few feet away where I dropped it trying to protect Tremble, but if I tried to lunge for it I would wind up getting attacked before I reached it. I had an idea, but it would be a long shot.

Grrrrr The large beast crouched down, getting ready to pounce while did the same to get ready to sprint. The wolf pounced, giving me an opportunity to sprint to the side out of it's line of attack to reach my spear, but before I could grab it I felt an intense chill strike my back that was accompanied by me being pushed further from my weapon. Getting back to my feet, I looked at saw ice formed on the wolves mouth and felt a layer of ice on my back, an indication I was hit by some kind of ice breath attack.

With the ice leaving me slightly immobilized, the wolf pounced again and landed on top of me; before he could bite into my neck, I thrusted my forearm into the creature's jaw to keep it from biting. Unarmed and the threat of another ice attack possible I fell back on the only weapons I had at my use, my wits and my fist. Full force, I punched the wolf in the head, my strength apparently capable of causing it to bleed some. I did that two more times until it tried to fire another ice blast but I rolled out of the way, but this left me vulnerable.

I prepared for a bite or something, but before the wolf could do anything else, Tremble lunged at it, sticking his slightly bigger antlers into it's stomach. I was thankful for his actions, but my companion's wasn't very effective as the wolf quickly got him out and bite into the jackalope's body. A wolf vs a rabbit, I could see the bite was going to kill him. Angered, I charged the wolf continued to repeatedly strike it's head and body using Muay Thai I learned at the marital arts school at mall near my house. Furious at the giant wolf for killing the first friend I made in this world, I dealt a pummeling of punches, kicks, knee and elbow strikes so fast it didn't have time to react. After a few minutes of my assault, the wolf fell to the ground where it slowly died from it's injuries.

Tremble was on his last breaths, I walked over to him and saw it was impossible for me to do anything with the knowledge of first aid I knew. As my friend died, I looked into his eyes and thanked him for his loyalty.

"Thank you, Tremble. I was all alone here until I found you."

As a sign of respect, I buried him in a small hole and marked his grave with a large rock I carved his name into. Going back to the results of my hunt, I tied the wolf in a harness to carry it back. During my slow walk back, I used the butt of my spear as a hiking stick and used my free time to think about everything that's went on. I died, I was resurrected in a different world, I befriended a jackalope, saved a man's life, lived with his clan for several months, and killed a giant wolf with my bare hands. So many things have happened, and I'm still no closure to finding a way home.

Carrying a large wolf slowed me down a lot, I could just now see the village in the horizon and everyone seemed to be gathered at the shore. After walking for another thirty minutes, I entered the perimeter of the village. Curious of what was going on, I continued hauling my hunt, getting intense looks by the stray villagers who saw me. Soon I made it to the crowd, causing attention to fall on me and the giant wolf I was carrying.

"Hello!" I called out. "What is going on?" I asked, confused.

People parted so I can reach the cause of the commotion, the village elders were standing in a group speaking to another unbelievable sight, humanoid lizards dressed in full body parkas.

 

 

 

10