Chapter 5: Your Scales are like Flowers
294 5 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Tunu clan informed me that the Ichth was from the mainland, they traded with the islanders in the oncoming of Spring, but I don't believe they ever told me that the Ichth were a tribe of humanoid lizards. The lizardmen in question didn't look frightening, at least not after I came face to face with a giant wolf, and they seemed to vary in form. Their was ten of them in total; the oldest one looked like a crocodile of human height with longer limbs wearing a large parka, three more were reptilians too but only three or so feet tall, and the rest looked like humans with lizard hands, feet, tails, and scales on random areas of their bodies. The crocodile one walked up to me and stared at the wolf I was toting with collected interest.

"Truly, a rare occurrence." He spoke in a raspy but auditable voice.

"Elder Kho, this is Aiden Ortega, a valued member of the Tunu clan." Elder Yeshka spoke well of me.

"Is he?" Elder Kho observed my face. "He does not resemble your village."

Ivan stepped up with his family, all of them surprised by my haul. "I can explain, Aiden saved my life months ago and my family has been giving him housing as thanks."

"I see..." Kho rubbed his throat. "If the Frost Wolf here for trade?"

After Elder Kho asked, another member of his group rushed forward. She was more human looking than the elder; she was taller than her comrades, maybe an inch shorter than me, with firm muscles slightly smaller than mine, white hair that looked to be styled like spike faux hawk hairstyle, amber eyes, and pale skin. She was dressed more warmly, like the rest of the tribe besides Kho, in a sleeveless, yellow dress with gladiator sandals, wearing small hoop earrings and what looked like black lipstick. She could have been mistaken for human at first glance, but she had human-like hands covered in orange scales with black, lizard talon fingernails, similar to her feet, a matching orange tail, and orange scales scales that seemed to go from the sides and back of her neck down her back. However, the feature about her that was most noticeable was that despite her strong physique, she had distinct feminine assets; specifically, she had a large bust, a slightly narrower waist, and thick hips attached to strong legs.

"The wolf, how much for it!?" She asked, marveled by the creature. "I'll give you 1 small silver for each tooth and 3 small gold coins for it's magic core." She held up three fingers.

I stared at her blankly, not understanding about the world's currency, so I was unsure if that was a good deal. "Ah... that sounds nice. But, you will have to have those removed yourself."

She smiled brightly and bowed. "Deal." A minute later another human looking lizardman with bronze skin and red scales stepped forward. "This is my brother, Jaba." She introduced the shorter man, who gave a bow. "He will be handling the dismantling. I am Rana, thank you for your patronage. As a bonus for your exchange, we will dismantle the wolf entirely for no additional cost."

I bowed similarly to them. "Thank you." After our exchange, the crowed followed Jaba as he went to dismantle the Frost Wolf while I stayed back with Ivar, Shasha, Elder Yeshka, Elder Kho, and Rana. "Elder Kho, I am honored to met you and your people."

"The honor is ours, Frost Wolves are so rare that we almost never get to trade for them." Kho giggled. "I need to go now, me and Rana are the only ones here who speak Common language." He went back to his people to watch the wolf be dissected.

"Rare, are they endangered?" I asked, worried I might have killed an endangered species.

"Endangered?" Ivar rubbed his chin. "What is this word?"

I was on the spot. "Among my people, we take caution to not completely erase the existence of a species if possible. 'Endangered' means there is a little number so we try not yo kill them."

This caused the group to laugh before Yeshka explained. "You would forgo killing that monster if you knew that? Frost Wolves are uncommon, but they are dangerous to people and almost impossible to deal with. Why, it would take at least 6, maybe 10 hunters to kill one of them." She took notice of my spear. "Your blade is still clean? And I saw no evidence of stabbing on it's body, how did it die?"

I rubbed my head, nervous. "Well... I tried to use the powder, but I used to much it caused a stampede to rush me, but the wolf scared them off before I could catch anything. After that, I was cornered by the wolf without my spear, so I tried to grab it but the wolf hit me with ice and pounced on me." This caused the audience to gasp. "I wasn't hurt badly, before it could bite I trusted my arm into it's jaw. With no weapon, I punched it in the face. Tremble, my horned rabbit, impaled it with his antlers but the wolf's hide was too tough to cause any serious damage. This led to the wolf chomping down on Tremble and I was so enraged I continuously struck it using my Mauy Thai..." they didn't understand what that meant, so I did a small demonstration of fast my attacks were. "I just kept hitting it that it eventually fell from the damage."

My audience was silent with shock, but Ivar was the first to speak. "You killed such a beast with your bare hands?" He wiped his forehead. "Maybe it was good you found me in danger, if I had met you on less amiable conditions, I don't think I would have gotten home in such condition."

Elder Yeshka spoke next. "That is an impressive accomplishment. Ivar told me of how you plan to ask the Ichth elder for transport off the island, but now I must admit I consider it a lose you are leaving. None the less, I will negotiate on your behalf, and all I will ask is some of the materials."

I nodded. "Thank you, if you can get Kho to agree, you may have everything except what I agreed with Rana and the pelt to do with as you wish."

Elder Yeshka went off, followed by Ivar after giving a silent goodbye. Shasha looked at me, but said nothing.

"I already know what you'll say, 'How can you be so carless?', 'Be more prepared, idiot', is that right?" I laughed.

Strangely, she looked at me sheepishly. "I... I am sorry for how I've acted." She ran off after her father.

"Odd, usually she would insult me more angrily." I thought about the change no further.

"Your wife is a very nice woman." Rana complimented.

"Shasha?" I asked, then laughed. "She's Ivar's daughter, we are not married. I don't even think she's old enough, Ivar said she's 16 or so."

"Really, and she isn't married already?" Rana looked surprised.

I guess being from a different society, I have different ideas of normal compared to this world. "It's more, she's too young for me. I am only... 19 years old, almost 20."

"You are?" Rana was more surprised about that. "You're so tall and strong, I would have thought you were in you early 30's at least. To think you were only a year older than me."

Uninterested in the wolf, I asked Rana if she would talk to me about what's beyond the island. For over an hour we talked and she was able to tell me about this world; the planet is called Varld, most of the world is comprised of oceans with one large continent, a handful of islands as big as this one, called Senak, and many smaller ones around the world. The large continent, the mainland, is called Berglund and is home to three prominent sovereignties; the Republic of Analia, the largest country that is predominantly home to animal demi-humans like the Ichth tribe, the Paganish Realm, an extensive region mainly of wilderness that houses elves, fairies, dwarves and the like, and lastly is the human kingdom of Darw'gan, a country of only humans that has a closed door policies to all other races and is the most technologically developed kingdom despite their smaller population. She also informed me about her tribe; apparently, the Ichth live an a desert region of Analia and almost every member is reptilian to some degree. She is actually a trained warrior but also has a dual role as a guild merchant who sells imported goods and materials.

She asked me questions about myself, but to keep my secret I told her the same story I gave Ivar and his family, and we began connecting due to how similar we are.

"I never thought I would meet another warrior and academic. Your parents must be very proud." Rana complimented me.

"Thank you, I miss them terribly. Ivar, Deka, and their kids have been very welcoming, but it's hard." I frowned a bit.

"I understand." She frowned too. "Mine and  Jaba's father died of an infection a few years ago. He now lives with his wife and their two children, Omar and Minna, but I now live alone."

"Alone?" I asked. "No relatives? From your surprise about Shasha, I figured you were married."

She looked sorrowful. "You may have seen, but I am different from most of my people. Males are a little shorter than I am, my scales are an unusual color, and my lungs are more pronounced."

"Your lungs?" That I found the most bizarre.

She pointed to her chest. "My breasts are functioning mammary glans, but also a second set of lungs." She exhaled and blew a small burst of fire. "They help me breath fire, but only a rare few of my people have that power so not many people understand it. This causes men to avoid me."

I nodded as she spoke. "I can understand feeling out off place, when I first came here I towered over everybody but now more people welcome me. I talk to my hosts about it, but it's hard  for them to understand as well you do."

She pepped up. "Thank you, I hope you can return home."

I nodded. "Thank you, and if it makes you feel better, I think your scales are pretty. " When I first saw her, it looked like she was covered in marigolds. "Your scales are like flowers that my people adore."

Suddenly, she stood up and avoided eye contact with me. "Do you... do you really mean that?"

This surprised me further. "Yes, I think your scales are like pretty orange flowers."

Hastily, she ran over to the banquet that was starting to welcome the Ichth tribe. After such an eventful day I wanted to go to sleep, but as an honorary member of the village I had an obligation to attend the event. Strolling through the village, I enjoyed how the semi-subterranean houses were decorated with painted symbols and woodwork, it gave personality to the village and actually helped me feel more comfortable attending the banquet. By the time I made it to the part, people were already eating, singing, and dancing around the giant bonfire. Children played games while adults drank and told stories, it reminded me of family reunions I attended with my parents. Thinking about how much they did for me, how everything they gave and thought me has made me who I am now and has helped me survive my time here, I give thanks for the life I lived because of them.

"Aiden, Aiden!" Mayu, Ivar's youngest, ran up to me. "Tell us how you caught the wolf!"

Giggling, I sat down and started retelling my tale. I started with how I made a solo trek through the wilderness, hid behind a boulder to avoid a dangerous stampede, lost Tremble to the wolf, and how I fought it into submission using my bare hands; even giving a demonstration of my punching and kicking power by leaving some sizable dents in an old cast iron pot.

While the children and surrounding adults cheered for my haul, I joined them in celebrating by trying alcohol for the first time. Unfortunately, I misjudged the strength of what they were drinking, basically what I thought I was chugging was beer was actually vodka, and got drunk as a result. From there, I regaled them with monologues from Shakespeare's The Scottish Play before demonstrating my somewhat adequate attempt at Drunker Fist Kung Fu. And to make matters worse, when I tried to do the crane kick I fell off the table and caused everyone to laugh more.

After I stumbled back to my feet, I ran behind the nearest building and vomited. A few minutes later, I parked against the wall and tried to sober up.

"Feeling good?" I saw Ivar walk up to me with his wife and Shasha following.

I rubbed my head. "Do you have any water? That would help me feel better." Deka gave me cup and a jug, I dropped the cup and drank the entire contents of the jug. "Thank you."

"You must be very happy about Rana." She smiled brightly.

"I guess." I answered. "I don't really know the value of that wolf, I just hope I got a good deal."

"Everyone has those worries at first." Ivar patted me on the shoulder. "When me and Deka had our ceremony, I was so nervous I almost fainted right in front of the elders." Ivar laughed fondly with his wife.

"Okay?" I didn't know how that relates to commerce, but I guess it's a cultural thing. "Well, I need to go find Rana and her brother, I still have business I need to discuss with her."

"We understand, the Tunu elders have already been informed and are waiting for you at the clan house." Deka told me. "Rana is there waiting."

"Thank you, enjoy the night." I said as I went back to the Tunu clan house. Opening the door, I saw the three elders, Elder Kho, Rana and her brother waiting in a circle. "Good evening." I greeted after walking from the door.

"Good evening, Aiden." Elder Yeshka greeted me. "Please, sit there." She pointed to a pillow besides Rana. "Aiden Ortega, honorary member of the Tunu clan, do understand why you are here this night?"

"Yes." I answered.

"Good, understand what you and Rana have agreed to do is now unavoidable, and there is no retreating."

This place really places a lot of formality in their trades. "I understand, my parents raised me to be honest and take your word back on your responsibilities." I looked to myside and saw Rana cry slightly.

"Then it is agreed." Elder Kho stood and walked in front of me and Rana.

Burning some herbs he pulled from a bag, the surrounding company began circling use while everyone standing uttered a chant. While this continued, a member of the Ichtch tribe kneeled to Kho and offered a chalice on a pillow; Kho poured some kind of beverage from his canteen into the chalice while the cup barer tied a ribbon around me and Rana. Everyone sat down, and Kho lowered the cup for Rana to drink from it first, than I drank from it second.

"Under the Great Moon Spirit, with everyone here to witness, the union between Rana of the Ichth tribe and Aiden Ortega is joined."

"Wait, what is happening?" I asked anyone.

A guy from the Tunu clan whispered to me. "Not a good time to joke, this is your wedding."

My face went flushed, finally understanding what was happening as my mind went fully sober.

"Aiden and Rana, may you live long into old age together, in honor and respect to one another, and may you be blessed with offspring." Elder Kho took a sip of the cup and spit the drink on us like a shower.

When my 'wedding' came to an end, Rana hugged me tight and cried. "I've never been happier!" She helped me stand up. "Your proposal was so sweet, and to think the village would give us their blessing as well."

"Congratulations, Sister." Jaba walked up and hugged his sister. "To think you would finally find a mate to bless you with children, and what a brother-in-law; I can't wait for Minna and Omar to meet their new uncle!"

Getting past my initial shock, I spoke. "Ah... please, tell them again how I proposed." It was better for now to pretend I knew everything. "I want to know in full detail what lead to this."

"Oh, you were so nice." She smiled at the memory. "We lizardfolk take great pride in our scales, when you complimented how mine resembled flowers was one of the sweetest proposals I've ever seen." She hugged me tightly. "Then you said how you meant what you said, I was so thrilled I prayed this wasn't a dream!"

"It's good he wasn't joking." Jaba giggled. "If he'd proposed and didn't go through with it, things might have gotten ugly."

"Ugly?" I gulped. "Exactly, what would have happened if I made a mistake? In fact, just for laughs, what if I tried to get out of being married to Rana."

The bride thought for a moment. "Well, if you proposed and didn't mean it, you would have needed to pay Elder Kho for mocking our customs; I think it would have been... maybe about a few gold coins." She giggled with everyone else at how funny it would have been. "However, if you tried to divorce me, it could cause a feud between our tribe and the village, and you might even be put to death or enslavement as punishment."

The horror of my situation left me trembling for a moment. "Yeah, wouldn't that be awkward." I laughed along for my own survival. "But I completely meant what I did, and I have no regrets or fears for what my life has waiting for me." I smiled, but my voice didn't have joy to it.

Rana hugged me again. "You've made me the luckiest woman alive." She cried slightly. "To think we'll spend the rest of our lives together."

I fakes happiness. "The rest of our lives, and there is nothing that can be done about it."

My first season in another world and on my journey to find a way home, I have married a Lizardwoman by accident. Mom and Dad, please for give my stupidity.

 

 

 

---

13