Chapter 33: Three Years Later
21 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
As the author, I'm sure there are those of you who are curious about the relationship status between Aiden and some of the girls.

Which is why I'm going to confess the current and future status between Aiden and Mandy.

I would consider their relationship to be close friends and business partners, the most there relationship will ever progress is that of an Older Brother and his goofy sister.

To my American readers, Happy 4th of July!!!

-3 Years Later-

Time moves, some find it slow while others think it's a flash, but it constantly moves.
Aiden found it hard to believe that just three years ago he had made it past Level 5 after a year of effort. Now, he and Iesha have progressed up to Level 50 in just three short years.

"To think, all this time and we're halfway done." Aiden, polishing his sword on the porch.

"It really is amazing." Iesha, the long-range attacker, restrung her bow. "After only three years of effort, we've already collected 50 thousand large gold coins. Just a tenth of the amount we need." Iesha felt like freedom was so close to her.

During the last three years, Iesha joined Aiden on his dungeon explorations and proved to be great assistance with her archery skills, tracking ability, and co-operable nature, forming a formidable party. Along with the progress in the dungeon, the group also was progressing as an adventure company thanks to Mandy finding a legitimate office space and renaming the adventuring party Griffin Valor, named after Valiant who acts as the company mascot. Mandy also grew, along with becoming more familiar with the business, she has transitioned to Sophomore year and has begun seeing a nice boy from her economics class named Phil Wright.

Wanting to give Iesha more privacy, Aiden moved back into his old room in June's house. To help, he assists Rose with the chores; on the subject, Rose has made some changes in her life as well. She now works for Griffin Valor as the company secretary and receptionist; also, she and Greta have grown affection for each other and began a relationship a few months ago.

Having lived together for years now, Aiden learned more about his roommate, June. Apparently, June and her husband had filed for a divorce a few weeks before he first moved in after being freed but she never said anything until everything was finalized. They've learned more information about each other as they spent more time together. Aiden learned that June had met Daelee in high school while in Debate Club together, she is a high-profile attorney with many respected clients across the realm, and her husband had left her because he felt intimidated by her success. On her end, June had learned that Aiden had two wives, Lanie and Rana, waiting for him, he admitted that he is originally from a world called "Earth", and he had stopped aging since he came to this world until he returned to Earth. With their shared trust in each other, Aiden and June had come to consider each other as friends.


Today was the day that Griffin Valor would challenge the Mid-Dungeon Boss, the floor boss of level 50, and probably the second most powerful boss after the Final.

The group wanted to leave nothing to chance, so Aiden and Iesha got suited in their best armor; Aiden wore the same armor he was gifted three years ago, while Iesha was wearing a special leather set that was best suited for mobility. They had their primary weapons secured, Aiden's sword and Iesha's bow and quiver. Before they left for the Dungeon, Iesha went to prey while Aiden left to speak with June.

Back inside the house, June was sitting at the table when Aiden approached her.

"June, I just wanted to give you this before we left." Handing her an envelope full of money, she accepted it. "This is the last payment for my debts as a free man."

"Good looks like you won't have to stick around here anymore." She was happy for him but also worried he might leave.

"No, I promise Iesha I'd help her get back to her people. Besides, there's something I want to tell you." Aiden takes her hands. "June, I've really enjoyed getting to know you these last few years. And... I would like to know you as more than just another friend." He admitted his feelings.

Slightly flushed, June responded. "I feel the same. Here's my idea, when you get back-"

"If I get back?" Aiden joked, but June held his hands tighter.

"When you get back, we'll go on a date to see if we're compatible." She looks away for a moment. "After my divorce, I just don't want to risk getting my heart broken again."

"I promise, I won't break your heart if I can." Giving a gesture of goodbye, Aiden hugged her lightly and walked back to Iesha waiting outside.


[Aiden POV]

[Iesha, Aiden, are sure that the three of you can handle what's waiting for you?] Mandy called in over the communicator, worried for us.

"Don't worry, if we think it's too dangerous, we'll make a break for the exit." Standing with Iesha and Valiant, whose grown to the size of a horse in the last few years, outside the entrance to the Mid-Boss room, I tried to calm Mandy.

"Do not fret, me and Aiden promise to come back out alive." Iesha was sitting on top of Valiant while I finished the call.

[Okay, but at the slightest thought you can't win, turn back, promise?]

"We promise." For safety, I joined my elf companion on our steed. "Iesha, you set?"

She smirked. "I've never been more ready in my life. You ready, Valiant?"

CAW!

"Let's go." Confident, we set out.

Unlike the previous levels, the level 50 boss was inside a massive cave chamber that was sealed off by a giant door that can only be opened by someone with a certain level of magic power. Luckily? I reached that level.

Creaking open slowly, Valiant moved forward into the dark room with us still mounted. Pausing at the center of a large, stone circle, the lights flashed on to reveal an arena size room with murals along the walls. The area was suspended over a large moat of pitch-black water, and the ceiling had to be at least 100ft high with torches illuminating the room along the walls.

"The room seems to work, but where is the boss?" I asked, hoping Iesha might know the answer.

"The door is still open." She responded, equally as confused. "Maybe we have to figure out a puzzle, like when you were on the first level?"

We both observed our surroundings, but the mural that canvased the walls only depicted the changing seasons. On the floor, there was only smooth concrete with no sign of inscribing or artistry. Curious, I decided to test the water below by throwing a rock into the moat, the only response being a splash that echoed across the room.

"Perhaps, we should turn back and try another time." Iesha gave an option.

"You might be right, let's try again at another time." Remounting Valiant, our griffin companion made his way back to the exit. However, as we were about to leave, my group found ourselves back in the middle of the room. "What?"

"How did that happen?" Iesha pondered, with Valiant equally confused. "How did we get back here?"

It was baffling, but I was determined to leave. "Valiant, fly us out." My trusty steed took to the air to leave, just as we were about to cross the threshold, we appeared in the exact same spot as before. "This makes no sense... is this, the Boss?" Dismounting, I looked around. "Level 50 Boss! Is this work!? Show yourself!"

Show myself? I was never hidden.

A paranormal chill shot up my spine, I turned to the source of that eerie voice and saw the blood-freezing image of a cloaked man with a formless black void where his face would be. He was glowing pale blue and stood in a slouched manner.

"Who are you?" From Valiant and Iesha's stillness, I was the only one who could speak.

Did I not already tell you? I am the Floor Boss.

Needing to look out for our safety, I got my sword ready. " Aren't you going to get ready? We do plan to kill you."

You will not harm me. Nobody can harm me.

Taking the initiative, I lunged forward prepared to slice across his abdomen, but just before my blade made contact, I was back to where I started. "How... how did return to this spot?"

"Return?" Iesha was able to get out of her stupor. "You haven't attacked yet?"

"What? No, I..." All at once, the explanation came to me. "I get it now. How he's able to keep us from leaving, he has the power to rewind time."

Heh, I thought it would have taken sooner to figure it out. Yes, I can rewind time. I am... the Chrono Master. By rewinding time in a finite space, I have complete control over everything that happens in this room.

In all the time I've been in this world, I never once faced someone who could control time. "It doesn't matter, we'll defeat you somehow."

To show their belief, Iesha and Valiant got to my sides, the elf with an arrow drawn and Valiant set to pounce.

You may try, but it is pointless. I control this battle.


It was just as Chrono Master said, every time they attacked the boss would rewind to the moment right before they acted. Typically, a situation like this would run for eternity, but there is one thing about the boss' power. It may rewind Griffin Valor to the starting point, but they still feel the exhaustion that builds up from a prolonged battle. Collectively, the battle hadn't lasted a full minute, but Aiden, Iesha, and Valiant felt as if they had been fighting for hours.

Feeling the effects, Valiant had passed out on the floor while the bipeds weren't too far behind.

Impressive, I would have thought you'd given up sooner.

"Why?" Iesha questioned. "If we give up, you would either kill us or just leave us in here and wait for us to die."

Wait... that's it! Aiden had an idea that might shift the tide of battle. Slowly, he walked up to the Chrono Master, stopping just inches in front of him.

What are you doing?

"Attack," Aiden spoke. "It wouldn't be hard, attack me." A moment of silence passed and nobody moved, then Aiden tried to make another slash only to be rewound again. This time, he was right in front of the Floor Boss.

That's how it is. He rewinds exactly to the point before you attack. Not only that, not once has he taken the offensive, which means he either can rewind and attack, or he can't attack period. The human man felt some accomplishment, but a realization remained. This doesn't change anything, I still can't attack him.

Give up, your defeat is unavoidable.

This got the group more irritated, but Aiden had an idea he needed to test. With great force, he turned to the right and threw a knife at the wall and it hit. Then, he threw another one, but this time tried to punch the boss after the blade left his hand; he rewound again but noticed something hopeful from the test.

"Iesha, when I say 'now', shoot an arrow to the ceiling," Aiden instructed as he backed away from Chrono Master.

"Why?" She asked, perplexed.

"Trust me," Aiden assured. "NOW!" After giving the order, Iesha fired an arrow at the ceiling and Aiden threw Shaka in the air. Then, with great speed, he ran towards the boss with the intention to deliver a strong punch and was rewound.

Are you done yet?

Aiden smiled. "Now I am." To the amazement of everyone, the arrow Iesha fired pierced Chrono Master through the back of his head.

What!? How?

"It was easy." Aiden began his explanation. "After I realized you never took the offensive, I walked up to see the reason. It was then I hypothesized that you either couldn't rewind and attack, or simply can't attack. Then, I had the idea with the knives. When I threw the first one, you didn't rewind, meaning you can only rewind an attack or an escape; the second, the one I threw before attacking, hit its mark unaffected. That proved you can either only target living creatures or one thing at a time." He announced confidently, willing Shaka to return to his hand. "That was when I got the idea for the arrow. I told Iesha to fire the arrow and I would throw my sword to cause it to ricochet at the exact angle to hit you from behind while you were focused on me."

Ha... hahaha. It seems you were smarter than I realized.

The Floor Boss fell to his knees and began flickering.

Congratulations, you defeated me. As a reward for your cunning, I will give you some important information.

"What do you have to say?" Aiden questioned.

Many, many years ago. This dungeon was created through the intellect of a brilliant man. He wanted to create a dungeon that only a worthy being may defeat... He wanted the dungeon to be defeated, to find the 'one'.

"The 'one'? The 'one', who?"

The one, who will cross time and space to find him.

With those final words, the Level 50 boss, was defeated.

Spectacularly, the boss room began to dazzle as the ceiling turned into a canvas of stars. Then, stars fell down and circled around Aiden, Iesha, and Valiant, granting them their rewards. The first was an upgrade to their armor and weapons, but the second reward was something special. It was a magic staff similar to the one Aiden was rewarded with years ago, but when Iesha identified it, she discovered that the staff allowed the wielder to rewind time but up to one day. A true one-of-a-kind reward; unlike the first two, the last reward was a treasure chest, and when Aiden opened it, it contained 200,000 large gold coins.

"Iesha, with this money, do you know what that means?" Aiden was excited for her.

Iesha cried soft tears of joy. "250,000. I'm halfway there."

"You are, and if we sell the staff, you might be completely paid off!" Joyously, he picked up his friend and hugged her close, then Valiant joined in by dog-piling on top of them. "This has been the greatest challenge we've ever had. I say we head back and take some time off."

"I couldn't agree more." Iesha agreed, feeling the strongest sense of hope she's had in years.


-June's House-

"June?" When Aiden and his group returned, over 24 hours had passed since they left, it was around 8pm.

"Hello, Aiden," June responded; Aiden moved to the dining room and discovered that June had prepared dinner for the two of them. "I hope you like pork roast."

"What's this?" The human saw the orange woman wearing the same dress from the day they met.

"I decided to give Rose some time off to see her girlfriend, and I thought you would be hungry." She explained as she fixed him a plate. "How was the dungeon?"

"Let me tell you." Aiden got seated and began telling the story; at the end, Aiden moves close to June and grabs her hand. "I was really scared in there. I was scared I would never see you again June."

Picking up on his signals, June holds his hand in return. "Tell me, what about me do you find so attractive?"

Aiden smiled. "I was drawn to you for your kind heart, you always try to help people do the right thing, and for your humor, it makes me feel like no matter how hopeless a situation seems, things will be okay."

Returning the feeling, June explained her reasons. "The more I learned about you, I felt my heart fall. It amazes me how loyal you are to the people you care about, and I admire how fully devoted you are to your loved ones."

At that moment, they both felt a change in their relationship had been made. "I recall saying we try a date when I came back."

"So do I." June confirmed. "So, here's what we can do. One, we both get changed into something more casual, go to the living room, and watch movies until we fall asleep. Or two, we go upstairs, get you out of this dirty armor, and let the mood take us."

Aiden weighed his choices. "After my night, I'd rather pass out on the couch with you." Sharing the joke, they both moved in closer and sealed the change in their relationship with their first kiss.

 

 

1