Chapter 10: Looking Back
29 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Aiden POV

As soon as she fell asleep, I quietly exited the bedroom and shifted to my human form. Briefly shaking out my long limbs and ruffling my midnight black hair, I made my way to the bedroom door and silently shut it. Being a werewolf, I had sensitive hearing and the opening of the door would alert me if she woke up. That would give me enough time to shift back before she spotted me.

Taking a seat on the sofa she had previously occupied, I took a moment to survey the room and the adjoined kitchen. Since her apartment was small with only the basic rooms- bedroom, bathroom, living room, and kitchen- I had easily memorized the layout of the place when we first arrived. That fact, paired with my being able to see well in the dark, meant I had no trouble navigating the apartment despite it being pitch black inside.

Looking down at the ring encircling my finger on my right hand, I had never been more grateful to see it resting there. Every member of my pack had a similar ring and it kept our clothing from being torn to shreds every time we shifted to our wolf form.

Thinking of what used to be my home, I felt the very familiar ache in my chest. I took in a labored breath, giving myself a second to grieve the loss of my loved ones. It was only two weeks ago that I had been with my family, preparing for my role as the new Alpha and belonging to something more than just a life of trying to survive.

But survive I would.

I swore that I would get revenge on those who killed so many I loved and rescue the few remaining. The Dark Moon Pack would pay.

After what could only be described as a massacre, Leon and I spent the following week running as far as we could, taking frequent breaks since Leon was so small and fatigued easily. That week was one of the toughest weeks of my life. I spent every waking moment constantly looking over my shoulder, fearing that we were being chased. I also barely got any sleep-- every time I closed my eyes, I was haunted by the memories of that night.

It wasn't until we reached this town that I deemed it safe enough to stop running. Plus, it was evident that Leon couldn't take constant travel much longer. I had then spent the last week preparing a way for us to find shelter and food. During the escape, I hadn't had time to grab anything.

A few days ago, I had found an empty box and proceeded to leave my brother on the sidewalk in different locations, hoping a kind-hearted soul would stumble upon him and be willing to take him in. I hated having to force Leon into that situation, but puppies had a way of swaying people's hearts. And although I hated to admit it, I was too large and too intimidating to trigger anyone's feelings of generosity. I had planned to just 'conveniently' make myself known once Leon softened them up and hoped that they'd be willing to take me in too.

Clearly, my plan hadn't worked so well at first. Most people didn't bat an eyelash at my brother's pitiful state and those who did immediately abandoned him as soon as they realized another 'dog' was involved. I was at my wits end when we finally stumbled upon the girl asleep in the next room over. Or to be more exact, she stumbled upon us.

She had protected Leon when the neighborhood dog had caught my brother's scent and become aggressive. I'd forever be in her debt for that. Not to mention that she had fed us and taken us in when no one else would. Though I didn't know what to think of the fact that she had said I would be her 'errand' dog.

I chuckled quietly to myself at the memory. It then dawned on me that I had just laughed. I hadn't so much as smiled unless I was directing it at Leon. 

Feeling a lightness to my shoulders I hadn't felt in weeks, I stood up and made my way to the kitchen. After eating meager leftovers for the past few days, I was starving, and I was sure Leon was still hungry as well. 

0