2 – Not Expected
50 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[ Yuna Hatsumi POV]

I'm sitting in a chair just going over the speech I have prepared for the freshman coming to Sakura university. Even though I am a freshman just like everyone else, the school specifically asked me to give a speech of encouragement for the new year. Thanks to my hard work with school I was able to get a full-ride scholarship which is almost unheard of for this school. This speech shouldn't be too hard, not like I haven't given speeches to my old school so this should be easy.

"Are you ready, miss Hatsumi?" The Director of the university said to me.

"Oh! Yes sir, I think this speech should deliver well," I said to the director after putting my notes in my backpack.

"I'm very happy to hear that. I'll go ahead and let you be since the welcome ceremony is about to start. See you soon Miss Hatsumi," The director said with a bow and made his way out to the stage for him to give the introduction.

After a few more minutes of collecting my final thoughts, I walk over and stand behind the curtain and listen to the director's speech. In short, all he said was that he was very glad for all these special kinds of people to come to join the school. He said this year they have added major renovations to the campus and planned many optional trips for students at the university to get to know each other better. It was a pretty solid speech nothing too out of the ordinary, but now it is my turn to deliver my speech.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the crowd, I would like for you guys to give a warm welcome to your fellow classmate Yuna Hatsumi," The director said in an upbeat voice. 

I start to walk out to the stage and a lot of the students start to clap for me. I smile at the crowd and mouth thank you because I am nothing really special or anything.

"Hi, guys! I am Yuna Hatsumi and I am also a freshman just like you guys. While college is a place to have fun and make lifelong friends, it is also a place to stay focused on school work. I have had the pleasure to be selected by our lovely director to be the freshmen representative for the school. I promise you guys to guarantee us many fun events that only us freshmen can take place in and enhance college life as much as possible. If you ever need a friend and someone to talk to, you can always come to me, the teachers, or the student council, and they will be more than glad to help. I hope that we all can be friends and spend the next four years of our lives making unforgettable memories. Thank you so much," I end my small speech with a big smile and a bow. I received a big round of applause and a couple of whistles from the guys in the main hall.

I then head backstage to make my way back to the general audience and listen in for the rest of the presentation. As I start walking a couple of the staff give me a warm smile and told me I did great. I'm very grateful for these comments but I hope that I never disappoint these people, it certainly can be a lot of pressure sometimes. 

I then take a seat near the front of the small stage set up. From there I just sit patiently and wait for the rest of the presentation to end. Overall the school did a fantastic job welcoming us freshmen into the school. They sent everyone who was attending the event a text message assigning them into groups for after the presentation. The school said this is the best method they came up with for students finding friends early into the school year. I got group number 5 and the message said to meet the rest of the group in the school's cafe shop. This also helps us freshmen get a better feel of the campus layout, and explore the place a bit.

[ Serena Uno POV ]

I'm not too shocked that Yuna ended up coming to this university too, I gotta make sure to say hi to her. It was been way too long, but for now, I gotta meet up with this group thing that the school is making us do.

I take my phone out and take a cute selfie and post it to my FriendMe story. Sometimes it is pretty hard trying to keep all these people following me engaged but without them, I couldn't afford this school. 

I continue making my way around this massive campus with a couple of people stopping me asking to take a quick photo to ask if I wanna hang out with them sometime. But luckily I didn't have to give those people an answer because I was rushing over to the school cafe so I wouldn't be too late. Normally I would just skip these kinds of things and just wait for the afterparty but I guess it is nice to try something new.

Just a few minutes later, I arrive at the cafe and make my way inside. Looking around I see a table that has a small sign on it that says      'Group 5' on it. Thank god it was there because I would've completely missed it. 

I see two people sitting at the table and my jaw dropped as I see both Yuna and Kai sitting there talking. I walk over to them and when they see me both of their eyes widen and Yuna stands up and gives me a big hug.

"Oh my god! Is that really you Serena?!" Yuna said barely containing her excitement.

"It's me in the flesh," I say with a chuckle giving Yuna a tight hug back.

"Long time no see, miss social media star," Kai said giving me a small hug after Yuna and I let go.

"I can't believe that we got put in the same group," I said still surprised after seeing them. 

I take a seat and notice that there is still one seat left.

[ Kai Koin POV ]

"Still forgetting one," I say to Serena as I see her looking at the empty seat.

"Did the guy bolt?" Yuna said in a confused tone.

"No clue but forget them, we got a lot of catching up to do," I say taking a sip from my coffee.

"It's been how long, three or fours years?" Serena said while checking her phone.

"So how has life been treating you?" Serena said looking up from her phone.

"Busy. Trying to help run my father's company and manage school can be a bit stressful at times," I say with a sigh.

"What about you two, it seems that both of you guys are bigshots now," I said leaning back in the chair.

"Well, you know, after moving to Kyoto I just kept trying really hard with my grades just to help out my parents so they didn't have to worry about me and my college tuition," Yuna said with a soft smile.

"It's pretty hard managing a social media account, it's almost like running a small business," Serena said while stretching.

I just laughed at hearing the struggles of my fellow childhood friends. It was really refreshing getting to see them after all this time. But as much as I enjoy catching up it still feels like a piece is missing without Jiro.

"So have any of you guys come in contact with Jiro?" I said to them finally. This topic would be brought up eventually. 

"No," Serena said with a stern face.

"I thought about using some connections I knew to come in contact but it seemed he had no social media for us to base it off of. Plus, all we knew was that he was with his grandparents but who knows how he would react to us coming," Serena followed up, looking a bit down.

[ Jiro Toru ] 

Like a complete idiot, I went to the wrong group for the school friend bonding thing. Luckily those people were super nice and gave me the proper directions to the cafe, apparently, I went to the school smoothie joint but enough about that. I'm sprinting to the cafe now to see if my group is even there. Hopefully, they understand that I can be a bit slow at times but since they are also freshmen they should be able to relate somehow.

After a minute or so running across campus, I start quickly scanning my surroundings and my eyes latch onto the big sign that says "Sakura Cafe" on it. A big wave of reassurance overcame me as I finally made it to my destination so all I have to check is see if my group is still here.

I walk into the cafe, panting from all that running I was doing but still trying to maintain some quietness, out of respect for the other people in the cafe. 

As I walk over to the table I notice three very familiar people.

"No fucking way," I accidentally say and the three of them jerk their heads towards me. 

"Jiro!" All three say in unison.

"Are you guys really Kai, Yuna, and Serena!?" I say completely frozen in place. 

"Yes it's us," Kai said immediately standing up running up to me.

"Where the fuck have you been all this time?" Kai said with anger and confusion.

"Let me catch my breath first, then I can explain," I say sitting in the last chair. Still huffing and puffing from the running and the shock of running into all of them.

All of them just stare at me with so many mixed emotions. Rightfully so, but since it came to this I guess I should tell them what happened.

"You better start talking," Serena said with what looked like fire in her eyes.

"Okay, okay this is what happened," I get ready to say.

"As you all know, my parents died. After that, my grandparents were the only relatives to offer to raise me out in the country. Since I had no family left besides them, I took their offer in a heartbeat. After I moved and cut off all communications which obviously you guys knew. The reason I did that was that I needed to fix myself as a person. As selfish as it is, I wanted to restart my life, not like you guys did anything but I was sick of being the loser I once was. I know I didn't end up like you guys who became super successful but I wanted to be more independent so the day I eventually met all of you again, I would be better as a person," I said to them. This is how I felt, previously in middle school I was nothing special, I was the textbook definition of an average kid. I saw potential in all three of them and saw my grandparents as a stepping stone. After my parents died I felt lost more than ever and didn't want my fate to turn for the worst.

"That's your reason for leaving us?" Serena said with even more anger in her voice.

I didn't say anything. I just sat there waiting for what was to come. 

"After the group split up, I was devastated for years. You guys were the only friends I ever had, it took me down a very dark path in my life," Serena said with some tears building up.

"Serena I-" I went to say but she stood up and cut me off.

"I can't stay here I'm sorry. All I will say is that it is because of you I have had the success but over time I have built up strong hatred for you Jiro," Serena said and with that, she made her way to the exit.

"I hope you see that I am sorry Serena," I say to her but she didn't say anything. She just walked out without saying a word.

"I think it's time for me to go as well, I wouldn't say I have much hatred for you Jiro, but it will take a while before I can recall you a friend again," Yuna said politely as she got up from her seat and exited the cafe as well.

I look over to Kai who is still staying but he is thinking about something.

"If you are mad at me, I completely understand Kai," I say to him trying to keep my composure. I really am an idiot, I didn't think once about the pain I could have caused them.

"I'm not upset Jiro, anymore at least, " Kai said looking directly into my eyes.

"I understand why you had to do what you had to do. It hurts a bit but I still see you as my best friend after all this time," Kai said with a small smile on his face.

"Serena had to go through a lot I assume, despite her being famous now it was never like her life was easy. It will take some time but I think you can regain both her and Yunas' trust," Kai said putting his hand on my shoulder.

"You have always been too kind to me Kai," I said with a big sigh.

"I will let her cool off, after some time I will make sure to give Serena a proper apology," I said standing up from my chair.

"I have faith in you," Kai said also standing up.

"We should call it a night Jiro, here is my phone number you better text me," Kai said with a serious face. Which caused me to chuckle. 

"I will, no more of me vanishing out of nowhere," I said as we walked out of the cafe.

"Just remember that tomorrow is a new day with new opportunities," Kai said to me.

"That a quote from your dad?" I ask him.

"Yep," Kai responded laughing at what I said.

While this night went horribly wrong. I know I will have a chance to redeem myself to them. It may take a while but over time I will make up for the pain I caused someone, specifically Serena. I just gotta listen to Kai's old man words of waiting for the opportunities of tomorrow. 

 

Since chapters will be about once a week, I made sure that they are extra long so I hope you guys like that :). Also thought it was best to make it a dramatic reunion and not all sunshine and roses because that is lame. Jiro is now gonna have to earn their trust back but lucky for him, the bro bond will last forever which is a major stepping stone.

2