Chapter 8: Spectator
72 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While the woman or Claire as I found out her name reading through her memories is talking and laughing with her daughter I serve as a spectator to it.

Seeing this I can finally confirm that I can mess with someone's mind just as I did to myself. But since it was my first time I was little anxious. To do this I had to first ask the lady to choose what type of memory she'd like to experience. Preferably someplace where there are only few people and in a simple situation. This way it'll be easier to tackle it as I don't have to find that particular memory. By thinking of it at this current time I can easily tamper with it. 

Well, not exactly tampering but in some form recreating it. I made the place she was trying to remember vivid, Of course I'm able to do it cause she had been there and I can easily access the full picture of it through her memories, she might not remember every detail but what matters is that she had already seen it more than once allowing me to recreate it just like in the real world. But of course I found out that it takes much more effort to manipulate someone's mind than my own.

Then I had 'her' the existence other than me that is watching this, take form of 'her' to make her part of the place. Slowly her figure is appearing bit by bit like a cloud slowly taking shape and finally she 'opened' her eyes and looked confused.

She should be, the closest thing that she's experiencing right now is a lucid dream but this should be much more vivid than that. She looked around her surrounding and even tried to pinch herself. 

In dreams although rare, it is possible to feel pain without waking up, it is easy for me to recreate this and make her feel something. Then judging from the memory this should be the time where she appears.

I focused all my attention on recreating her then finally after a moment she reappeared. Her daughter Cathy  was wearing exactly what she wore that day. Claire was shocked seeing her and immediately went to hug her tightly. She was crying and apologizing. Even though Cathy is just a memory she seems to be talking to the current Claire like she's conscious when she's really not.

This part is a bit tricky and this is the first time I tried it on someone else but I was confident of doing it.  After all, people tend to do it all the time. What I mean is that in certain situation we sometimes create a person to talk to. Like if you were practicing your report or planning to talk to your crush. Based on what we know of that person, we create them in our mind to create scenarios to see how will she or he respond in those situations. 

Basically who Claire is talking to right now is just what she knows and understands about her daughter. It's a collective memory of a person put together to create some form of consciousness. And she will forever stay that way as long as Claire thinks that her daughter is still a child. Is this how DID is formed? I was curios but I put it aside for now. 

What was that sentence again? I was 18 she was 16, I was 26 and she was  still 16. Cathy is forever gonna be a child in Claire's memory.

I felt a little melancholic and sad, is her memory is affecting me as well? Probably not, this is just sad. I also feel tired mentally. I mean literally my head was slowly becoming dizzy but I hold on just for this moment to last.

They were talking about a movie Cathy saw, about what type of food she liked, about how she finally learned to count up to twenty. And Claire was just by her side listening to all this while smiling gently caressing her head and with a bit of tear on her eyes. 

Finally when her husband is about to return to bring the food I knew I had to end this. How this works is simple, the memory is like a video other than Claire and Cathy everything will do as she had remembered and I don't think I can recreate her husband, mostly because I'm becoming dizzier by the second. 

So I said in a soft voice to Claire. I didn't wanna ruin this moment but I'm almost out of juice.


"Ma'am, its time to go"

I heard as I was listing to my sweethearts chatter. My heart which was on cloud nine fell back to earth in an instant.

"No no no no no not yet, please give me more time!" I said in a panicky voice.

"Mommy what's wrong? What time?" She ask innocently. 

"It's nothing dear" I said so while internally screaming, I can pay more! Please don't let this end yet please! 

I beg, for the first time since she was gone I felt I was complete once more, that I didn't have to carry the pain of losing her. I was scared that the second I go back I was gonna forget her. More than half of me just wanted to stay in this moment forever.

"Mommy I'll go call daddy I think the food is ready" Cathy said as she turned around to run downstairs. I tried to follow her and but the second I took a step everything becomes blurry. Like a dream everything disappeared like a cloud of smoke and I woke up.


"No no no no Why did you take me out?! I want to spend more time with my daughter!" 

After I woke her up, her face which was filled with tears had the expression of desperation on them. Using my powers I calm her down. 

"Ma'am, calm down" and it seem to work as she slowly breathes and calm downs. Luckily I can calm her down otherwise this could get really messy.

I help her back to her seat and gave her water. Seeing her I knew she was still comprehending what happened. I put my hand on her shoulder to calm her emotions and said..

"I hope you kept what I said in mind ma'am that what you saw, what you experience and felt, was nothing but a memory"

She took several breathe as she answered me. 

"Then...then why was I able to keep talking to her like a real person?" She said without looking at me and just looking down at her intertwined fingers.

"You talk to her based on what you thought of her. She was not real but just a person built around your memory"

"No no she was real, I felt her, every little thing about her I saw it, even her little gesture" She said with a bit of hope that what she experienced was real.

But I vehemently denied it. I don't want her to live in her mind. That's why even though I use my powers on myself I restrain it a little as I may one day find myself living inside my own mind.

She still seems trying to calm her complicated thoughts, she needs some time for herself alone. It took a while of silence before she stood up and without saying anything left through the door. 

I can understand her or should I say what she's thinking, because of the experience she needs time for herself. But I didn't have time to continue thinking about her as I felt a cool liquid coming out of my nose.. I took off my mask and grabbed a handkerchief that was in my pocket and used it to wipe my nose that was bleeding. 

I didn't expect that this would happen, I didn't experience this when I was trying it to myself but I guess it takes more toll doing it others. I feel like if I didn't stop I would probably pass out. Feeling lightheaded, I closed the shop and took a nap. 

Before I sank into the abyss of sleep I thought, that lady is probably gonna come back.

 

 

 

4