Chapter 11: Poker
65 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Just like what we do on our usual hangout we went from one place to another ordering food, drinking beers and just strolling all over the city. We chatted, laughed and complained about life.

Even when we took different paths in college we still kept in touch with each other and meet from time to time. It was bit awkward when they asked me when and where am I gonna take my apprenticeship. I probably never gonna take one anymore. I just told them I was still thinking about it and maybe try another things first before going in on that.

Thinking about it, I need a plan or an excuse that I didn't take my apprenticeship. Although it is still okay during the first month but after that my parents are probably gonna urge me to have a job. It be weird if I suddenly have a lot of money without doing anything. God for an architecture student I sure do suck at planning. Then again my grades was always near the failing point that even I wonder how I managed to pass, that's probably why my teacher was surprised I passed despite my performance. 

"God, I'm gonna miss moments like these" Charlie said. 

"Oh yah, you're going to Boroko city right? I think its nice cause there's beaches there~" 

"Yeah, my sister has guaranteed a job for me there with decent pay" 

"Man, I'm jealous, you not only get a job with decent pay after you just graduated, but you get to see all those bikini babes" Arthur joked. I swear this guy's relationship with his girlfriend is probably gonna be over soon.

We keep bantering and laughing until eventually we reached the part of the city where it becomes active at night. I'm not talking about night service 18+ or anything but the place where I wanted to go after gaining this power. 

"CasinoX" I mumbled softly then I said to my friends

"Hey, why don't we go inside there and try our luck?" I pointed at the casino that was well lit and with a lot of people coming and going. It was only about 8pm so there was still a lot of people there.

"The casino? You want to go there? I thought you didn't believe in luck?" 

"hahaha I still don't but lets go visit it anyway."

"Sounds good. I've been feeling lucky lately" Glenn said but I retorted. 

"Let me guess. You got a good gaming skin in only a few tries?" 

"Hahaha Hey it can still be counted as luck you know~" 

Even though we have been drinking because the alcohol content of it was low we were okay even after 4-5 bottles. And so we proceeded to enter the casino. In the past we already came to this casino a few times but cause we didn't have much money all we did was mostly spectate on others. This time I plan to exchange some considerable amount of money to play.

So after we showed our ids and exchange for some tokens we entered it.

"Dude, why did you used 4,000 zelo as tokens? Are you really gonna play?" Blake asked me with a bewildered expression.

"You bet. I actually have never gambled with this much money before so I wanted to try it now"

"Suit yourself you better not cry afterwards hahaha"

Let's hope it won't be my opponents I said so mentally.

"So what are we gonna try? I'm gonna go try the slots" Glenn said he also exchange 500 zelo for tokens. 

"You guys do it, I don't have any money." It was Charlie that said that. We all know that their family is always on financial trouble cause of that he always take part-time jobs just to pay for school. 

"Lets go I tell you I'm gonna win it big today" Glenn said apparently excited. 

I follow them for now and later find a chance to go to the poker area. 

"Come on man, get me that money!" 

My friends were talking and complaining how hard it is to win. I was also occasionally adding in some comments. 

"Ah come one? Really? It was so close"

"What did you expect? Just be glad you didn't lose everything haha"

Charlie consoled Glenn who lost half his money on the slot. Then finally I said..

"Hey why don't we go to the poker table? I wanted to try it."

"Poker? Sure, anyways at least poker relies more on knowing your opponent and bluffing than the slots where luck is all that matters"

"Huh? Where's Arthur? Is he taking a shit? "

"Nope, up there he saw some beautiful chick and is currently trying to woo her" I turn to the direction pointed by Blake and saw Arthur with a lady. Sure enough this guy got a breakup incoming. Anyway we headed to the poker area and although it doesn't show on my face I was excited.

I can only be considered as a mediocre poker player but with my powers if I play it safe I'll be king. 

We reached there in no time as it was pretty close. A game is currently playing.

Judging from the amount of cards placed on the table I knew it was the last round.

Then I activated my powers to read who has the best card.

Currently two folded and only three people are playing. Reading their minds, one of the guys have a pair of cards while the other only had a high card but the winner of the game is clear it was the woman who looks she's in a biker gang with all the black jacket, piercings in her nose and a tiger tattoo in her neck, she actually has a three of a kind. 

The last turn came. The guy with a pair card raise the pot and the woman goes all in. Eventually seeing this the third who had the least chance of winning folded.

Eventually it came to show their cards and as expected the woman won.

Even though I can read minds that doesn't guarantee that I'll win every time. Still with my powers I could at least guarantee that I won't lose big.

After all I can't have the best cards every time of course having the best cards alone isn't all you need to win sometimes you just need to scare your enemy. 

Watching all these I wanted to join the game but the stakes here was a bit high for me as I saw that lady winning 17k just now and raising 1.5k like nothing, having only 4k that's a bit too much for me especially since I want to figure things out. So we went to find a table where the stakes are smaller . There I saw a table that was at the turn stage and the pot was only about 2k which was acceptable for me so I finally decided to joined in.

 

 

4