Chapter 17: One mistake
44 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(introduce the name of the girl)(Edith faster)( the mc lied a bit about his name)
I eventually calmed down. Thinking about it there's probably no reason to panic much. She only suspects something anyway and worst-case scenario I still have my powers.

Seriously though, what are the chances you'd encounter a murderer? Then again none of this would have happened if I didn't hear her thoughts.

"So?" She said as I was dazed for a second. The look on her face makes you think that she's expecting me to continue the conversation like she found me interesting. If other people could see us they probably think that we are having a normal conversation.

"Oh, that? That was nothing. Was just surfing the internet and I came to that. Sure is getting crazy out there isn't it?" Anyways ill try to stir the conversation away from the news and then use a polite excuse to end the conversation.

"Sure is." Then she suddenly said with a face you'd expect when a woman is gossiping.

"Did you know? The serial killer is on the loose. The first victim was just a couple of blocks from me. I panicked when I first heard it."

"Really? It must have been really scary"

"It was, so a couple of days after that I moved out of my apartment cause I was alone so I was afraid"

"I'm Edith by the way. Edith Fauster" she added. it was her real name according to her thoughts.

"I'm Ethan Smith" I gave out a fake name thinking that it was a pretty smart move cause she won't know who I truly am, I feel like I made a mistake but I didn't mind it for now.

"So you live alone? Aren't your family with you?"

"Yes, I lived alone. I only have one family left, my grandmother who is staying at an elderly home because she has Alzheimer's disease"
"Ohh I'm sorry to hear that, then... how about your boyfriend?" I asked pretending to be hesitant.

"Hehe, I don't have a boyfriend." Then she crosses her arms and just stared at me. The entire time I was reading her thoughts but all of it was just speculation and finding ways to get me to talk more so I knew she was staring at me suggesting that I tell her about myself after telling her story.

We talked for a while. I told her what I do and what she does. She said she works at an accounting firm. As for me, I lied about what I do. Saying I was a civil engineer student that just graduated and is looking for a job. She was a bit surprised about my age but our age difference is only about 3 years according to her thoughts so it's not that much.

With neither of us achieving what we wanted we eventually just shared casual talk and even cliché questions. Edith was genuinely surprised when she found out we had a lot in common. Well... I wasn't, I can read her mind so the moment I ask her a question she instantly thought of the answer. Of course, half of what she thought was different than what she said but I still got it mostly right. She's good at pretending.

As we were talking I slowly leaned myself closer to her. I'm trying to find a way to touch her and read her memories. I should probably end this fast but I can't help but want to get inside her mind. I was curious. She seems to do the same. A sign that the girl is interested in you. Unfortunately, she's interested in the wrong way.

She's thinking that I'm interesting she is slowly putting down her suspicion of me but then...

[He seems good... too good. The entire time he was trying to stay away from the topic of the news. If what happened a moment ago didn't happen then I could consider it just normal. Everything just seems odd. He even knows what I like and favorites as if...he was studying me for a long time. Of course, it could just be a coincidence however there's just too much of it already. hmm I'm about 65 % sure he knows something. My instinct tells me so.]

I was inwardly nervous reading her thoughts

[But. I'm also sure that he is not with the police. First, he is too young, second showing a shocking look at the suspect is a pretty amateurish thing to do, and third, the way he moves himself and his body shape suggest he didn't have any training and doesn't work out much. And finally, the way he looked shocked when she saw me was like it was unexpected. I could only conclude that he's not with the police but he knows something. Unfortunately, there are cameras here, and they probably captured me talking to him. If something were to happen to him, I'd be part of the suspects]

I felt a chill at the back of my head when I heard that. My expression was still the same though.

[Hmnn about his identity if it's real... I should start with his social media account and observe there.]

I stood up slightly hearing that. Now I know what mistake. I only told my fake name. The second she searches my name and finds nothing then her suspicion will go up even just a bit and if I deny that I don't have a social media account, it'll still raise her suspicion. I mean who doesn't have a social media account nowadays?

Just as she was about to ask me that. I discreetly tried to touch her wrist. If other people see this they probably thought I was making advances on her after our talk. She was a bit surprised but before she could say anything, I got inside her mind!
Then she slowly took her hand away from me as if she was afraid of hurting my feelings and said...

"Woah there darling. Don't you think you're too fast" She said while giving me a wink. I still had a smile on my face but inside of me was a mess. Although I touched her in only a bit over a second and didn't see her entire memories. I still saw some things.

{no..no please let me go...}

{I don't wanna die.. why are you doing this?! who are you?!}

It was only a short memory and it was a bit jumbled up as well but scenes of murdering two guys were shown. Both of them were bloody and beaten up and tortured.

"Hey, you okay? What wrong?" She said so while tilting her head.

Because of what I saw I was still shaken up. So I checked my phone for the time and stood up.

"I just remembered. I have something to do. It was pleasant meeting you, Edith. The day couldn't have been better" She was still confused but she stood up as well allowing me to accurately judge her height. She was probably only 2-3cm shorter than me.

"Well I had fun too," she spoke while looking at me. I know what she wants so I said it first.

"Hey..uh can I have your number?" I tried to ask.

"Hehe, number? Who uses that nowadays? Let's just add ourselves on social media" She was still trying to probe me. but I didn't care much anymore.

"I try not to use social media anymore, as there's too much distraction there. I like to stay classy" I said so righteously like I was above social media or something but it doesn't matter much, I knew she was still gonna search me anyway.

Of course when I said that her suspicions of me just got higher. But I was still lost in thought. We exchange numbers and she ask for a selfie to which I agreed. There are probably close to none that she'll be able to come up with that I have evidence against her in my account but this woman trusts her instinct and with it, she has never been caught. Either way, I'm doomed the moment I lied about my identity and not having something to back it up. I took a picture of her with my phone as well and we departed after that.

To prevent being followed I walk randomly and asserted my thoughts.

Looking at the people around me I fell into deep thought.
From the moment I obtained this power, my first thought wasn't about helping people or doing something selfless but something that benefitted only myself. Even my plans involved only benefitting myself and using others. I didn't have a righteous thought that great power comes with great responsibility it's all about myself... but goddamn I so want that girl to pay for what she has done.

I then look at the sky and smiled "Well what the hell" I mumble while I shook my head. I'll just do what I've always done. Do whatever I want. Besides, she already suspects me because of the expression I showed so I can't already get myself out of this.

Fine, let's dance with the devil. 

Forgot about this.. I couldn't help but laugh and be curios as to what was in my mind when I wrote this haha. It felt like I was reading another person novel.

3