Chapter 122: A Little Bit of Envy
44 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"That's a steep fall!" Janus said as he leaned over the edge of the bridge. One hand held onto the railing while the other kept his hand on his glasses. Below him was a long trail of stones and dirt, spotted with an occasional tree. 

"Is all of this land actually yours?" Itzel asked as she continued to follow Sheila across the concrete bridge. 

Sheila nodded. "Yes. Everything you see belongs to the Grani family. Once you hit the fence of the next estate, that's where our land ends. 

"I don't see any fences anywhere," Itzel said as she squinted while looking off towards the distance.

"Exactly," Sheila replied with a giggle. "Let me introduce you to Mother first! She always loves meeting new guests. I even told her about Gurk prior to our arrival and she seemed so excited to meet him!" the young lady said while smiling at the crocodile. "Oh, and she'd like to meet you two as well." Sheila then grabbed Gurk by the hand once again, dragging him along as she darted towards the entrance of the estate.

"All of this attention is just going to get to Gurk's head. I know it," Itzel said to Janus while pointing a finger towards her temple. She then pressed her hands against her hips and shook her head as she watched the Sheila and the crocodile enter through the automated doors of the estate. "Big guy already has a hard time listening to what I say. How is he going to act now that he thinks he's such a hot shot?"

"I don't know if that's entirely the case, Itzel," Janus replied, taking the first step to the home of the Grani family. "This sudden surge of attention doesn't seem to be affecting his ego in the slightest."

"You really think so?" Itzel began walking next to Janus.

"Yes. It's a sudden change in dynamic, that's for sure. Almost overnight Gurk went from being feared by nearly everyone that he came across to becoming a respected Exterminator and fighter. I just think he's having a bit of a hard time processing it all."

"That sounds about right. Gurk never really was the type to make friends. Now it seems people can't stop talking to the guy." Itzel's lips pursed. She shrugged her shoulders before burying her hands inside the pockets of her pants. 

"Worried that he might make a new best friend?" Janus asked.

"What?" Itzel rebutted in a startled manner. "You accusing me of jealousy, Janus?"

Janus began using his fingers to count. "Siergi. Maluk. Arva. Mag. Sheila. Me. Even Enidri."

"What are you trying to say, huh? That I need to step up my game or something?"

"No, no. Not at all. I think your concern is somewhat justified. But at the end of the day, Gurk is loyal. I don't see him leaving us to be with someone wealthier or more famous."

"He better not! He's a key part of the Labrisson Slayers! If Gurk decided to break up the team to live in some... fancy garden in the middle of the desert... I'll—"

"He won't," Janus interrupted, maintaining a stead smile. "I'd bet Tokens on it too. He’s a simple guy. All he needs is some cauliflower and a Broadcast to keep him happy."

"And I think you'd win that bet, Janus. I know Gurk better than anyone. At least for now. And I know he'd never just up and leave. But I still can't get rid of that nagging feeling, you know what I mean?"

"Yep."

Itzel stepped in front of the entrance of the estate. She spread her arms apart as her head angled upwards to bask in the magnitude of the building before her. "Just look at this Janus! How am I supposed to compete against billionaires? If Gurk wanted to dump us for some solo Rumble Circuit agent, he probably could. The only reason we're even going to Sano Mosado is because DuMoix was interested in him." Itzel turned around and grabbed Janus by the collar. "We're just baggage to him, Janus! He could probably ditch the Rumble Circuit gig altogether and probably go into... modelling or something… for all I know!"

"Not sure if I want to envision that..." Janus said nervously.

"That's beside the point! What I'm saying is..." Itzel let go of Janus. She made her way to the front entrance, standing in front of the automated doors. They opened wide, letting out a cool rush of conditioned air. "Gurk doesn't need us anymore."

"I'm going to tell you what you what you keep telling Enidri," Janus said.

"Oh yeah? And what is that?"

"Stop being so dramatic."

A smile came across Itzel's face. "Don't make me hit you, Janus," she joked. 

"You're getting worked up over nothing. I think standing in that heat and dealing with the Sand Carver might have taken its toll on your head." He placed a hand on Itzel's shoulder and led inside the Grani home. "Just take a minute to relax. Take in the scenery!" With a pan of his hand, he showed off the inside of the estate as if it were his. An elegant and spiraling staircase stood in the middle of the room. Across the floor was a shiny checkered tile that held their reflections like a mirror. White marble archways lined the edge of the area, each one housing a doorway that presumably led to another wing or room. 

Janus and Itzel both looked around, trying to find Gurk and Sheila. "You see where they went?" Janus asked. His voice echoed throughout the main lobby. 

"You two!" Sheila popped her head out in front of one of the numerous stone columns. She waved them down with one hand. "This way! I've got someone that I'd like you to meet!" Gurk poked his head out past the column as well, wagging his fingers with the intent of inviting them to come along. As soon as they appeared, both vanished back into the recesses of the estate. 

"You first, Itzel," Janus said, stretching his palm out and bowing. "I know you’ve got some serious competition to deal with now."

Itzel responded with a short yet swift jab to the arm. Janus grunted and rubbed the spot that had been hit. "I warned you," she said before heading in Gurk and Sheila's direction.

"Fair enough," Janus grumbled. “But you didn’t have to hit me that hard.”


Fan Art Spotlight: Akajaro

Many thanks to Akajaro for the sprite art of Itzel! I could see this in a Neo Geo game!

2