Chapter 175: The End is Near
30 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Janus handed the radio to the young hunter. She took the device and stared at with her eyes wide open. "Well? Are you going to start talking or not?" Itzel asked as she tapped her boot against the ground. "Not like we have all day for you to come up with something to say."

"I know. I'm just a bit nervous... is all..." Sheila said as she lowered her head.

"Just don't say anything that could compromise us, and you'll have nothing to worry about," Itzel replied as she punched the palm of her hand with her fist. 

With a shaky hand, Sheila lifted the radio to hear and pressed the speak button. The soft static overcame the ambient sounds of the jungle. "Father?" the hunter whispered softly.

"Sheila?" Mag responded with exasperation in his voice. "Are you all right sweetheart?"

"I'm just fine, father."

"Are the target and his friends near you?" 

Sheila looked up at Itzel. The fighter nodded her head. "Go ahead and tell him."

"Yes, father. They're all here with me."

"You're not hurt, are you?"

"No. Like I said, I'm fine."

"If you need me to... I'll..." Mag went silent. Janus, Itzel and Gurk all looked at each other as they waited for Mag to finish what he was going to say. 

"Don't do anything crazy, father. I know you're worried. About me. Yourself. Mother. The Grani family legacy." Sheila paused to take in a deep breath. "But you need to think ahead, father. Don't do something that you'll regret for the rest of time."

"But Sheila. There's no coming back from what we've done. The event has been compromised! Once we make out... if we make it out... the family's name is gone. Good as dead."

"That's not true!" Sheila protested. "We'll get arrested. Spend some time incarcerated. But I'd rather have that than you... making a brash mistake that gets you hurt!"

"Sheila..." Mag said, letting his sigh be heard over the radio. "You're so young. And... uninformed. It's endearing. I like to think your mother and I did a good job of sheltering you from the evils of the world. Would you say you've lived a happy life, Sheila?"

The young hunter nodded. "Of course."

Mag chuckled over the radio. "Good. That means your mother and I succeeded. At least in that regard."

Itzel rolled her eyes and twirled her hand in the air. "Come on. Try to get your dad to speed this up."

"F-Father," Sheila said worriedly. "Why are you talking like that?"

"Because I want you to know that I love you, Sheila. That's the most important thing right now. And I have to let you know now in case I'm unable to meet you again in person."

"Stop talking like that, Father!" Sheila cried with tears dripping down her cheek. "You're not usually one to be so pessimistic! What happened to the confident overachiever that I've come to know and love?"

"Part of being successful is knowing when to cut your losses. And there's no way we're going to be able to recover from this, Sheila. They're working on covering this all up as we speak."

"Ask him what he means by that!" Itzel said.

"W-What are you talking about, Father? I know who watches our Broadcast... but I don't actually know any names."

"And they want it that way. Listen. I don't have the time or the energy to go into full detail about everything. Just know that I love you. And so does your mother. If there's anything you should take from all this... it's that."

"Father, wait!" Sheila paused, waiting for Mag to reply. Instead, there was only silence. "Father!"

Itzel took the radio from Sheila's hand and began to speak. "I know you can hear us, Mag! That explanation of yours wasn't enough! I want full details! On everything that's going on. You hear me? Mag!" she shouted. All four stared at the radio as they waited for a response. After a minute passed, Itzel turned her frustration to Sheila.

"What is Mag talking about?" Itzel demanded as she grabbed Sheila by vest and pulled her closer. "I want answers now!" 

"I don't know! Honest, Itzel!"

"Stop lying to me!" Itzel released one hand and pulled back her fist. Sheila turned her head away and closed her eyes as her hands reached up to protect her face. "I'm going to—"

Gurk grabbed Itzel's fist with his hand. "Stop," he mumbled.

"What? Why?" Itzel replied, her hand still in Gurk's clutches. "You heard their conversation. Mag's not going to ease up on us. He's probably got us in his sights on us right now!"

“Because…” Gurk said, his mouth lingering as he figured out what to say next.

“Think you could get us out of here, Sheila?” Janus asked as he stood next to Itzel as she continued to hold onto the hunter’s collar.

“I can try. This is my first time being in the Eco-Dome, but I’ve seen my father go through here on numerous occasions.”

“See, Itzel? She can still help us,” Janus said.

“I still don’t trust her. But it seems like we’re running thin on options.”

“I don’t even know how to reload my gun!” Sheila pleaded. “You think I’d be able to do something to betray all three of you? Then I’d be alone to deal with all the craziness that lives in here! I-I need you more than you need me!”

“You two listening to this?” Itzel asked. She pushed Sheila back and then turned her head between Janus and Gurk. “What’s the plan now then? Are we ditching the idea of meeting up with Mag and just going to have Sheila guide us out of here?”

“Whatever gets us out of here the quickest,” Janus huffed. “This heat is killing me. I’m coated in mud. And I’m starting to get really frustrated. I’m with you now, Itzel. If Mag wants to make this harder than it needs to be, let him.”

“What about you Gurk?” Itzel asked the crocodile with her arms crossed in front of her chest. “You’re the main event. You should get a say in what we do next.”

“Let’s go,” Gurk said. “Find the others.”

“All right then.” Itzel picked up the radio again. “Hey. Eni. Donva. Can you hear me?”

“I can,” Donva replied.

“Same here,” Enidri said afterwards.

“It’s about time to leave this place. We’re going to meet up and try to leave this place together. We just need to be careful on how we phrase it. There’s a certain someone that can hear everything we say and I’m sure they’re still looking to cause a bit of trouble.”

“Understood,” Donva said. “Perhaps we could… speak in code? Or maybe describe a landmark in obtuse detail?

“How about we tell Mag exactly where we going to be?” Enidri snapped. “That way we can really put this hobby to an end once and for all!”

Itzel nodded. “I’m liking the way you think, Enidri. Maybe we should tell him exactly where—”

The glass ceiling above burst. Metal twisted and tore as an explosion erupted next to the support pillar that Mag had instructed them to meet by earlier. It slowly bent to the side, tearing through the glass panes above and sending glistening shards raining down.

Sheila jumped back in fear, only for Itzel to grab her vest again. “What happened?” Itzel asked the captive.

“I don’t know! Honest! Father doesn’t tell me anything about the more complicated parts of the Hunt. He mostly just showed me how to survive.”

“You think it could be that audience of his?” Janus asked.

Sheila shrugged her shoulders and quickly turned her head from side to side. “I-I really don’t know! Your guess is as good as mine!” she pleaded.

“Hey!” Enidri shouted over the radio. “Is everyone all right?”

“We’re fine, Eni. How about you and the kid?” Itzel replied.

“I am too,” Donva said. “What happened?”

“That’s what we’re trying to figure out,” Itzel said.

“Looks like they’re starting their plan early,” Mag said somberly. “I thought they’d at least let us leave the Eco-Dome. But it looks like they want all evidence completely erased.”

“Who?” Itzel said with desperation as she yelled into the radio. “Why can’t you just tell us what’s going on?”

“There’s no point. I’ve warned you already.”

“I’m tired of this cryptic nonsense!” Enidri barked. “Let me know your location. Right now! If you’re itching for a hunt, I’ll be the one to give you the challenge of your life!”

“I appreciate the offer. But you’re not the target for this hunt. I’ve still got my eyes on Gurk. Just because the Eco-Dome is collapsing and the other contestants are dead, doesn’t mean the event is over. I think it’s only fair to give you a heads up. I wouldn’t want to take him out only because he thought the whole thing was cancelled.”

Itzel held the radio tight in her hand, on the verge of cracking the plastic. She clenched her other fist and looked towards the remains of the support pillar in the middle of the Eco-Dome.”

“Looks like we’ll have to finish what Mag started,” Itzel said.

1