Chapter 176: Separate Ways
29 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

More sections of the Eco-Dome started to fall apart. Glass panes above shattered, sending shards down like rain. All four fled for the safety of the overhang of a nearby tree with Gurk sheltering the others as much as he could with the sizes of his body. 

A large metal beam crashed a few yards away, completely crushing the tall trees underneath it. All the while, Sheila screamed at the top of her lungs as her hands covered her head. 

"They're trying to take everyone out at once!" Itzel said as she looked up at the demolished ceiling. 

"Seems like a self-destruct failsafe," Janus said with one arm over his forehead to stop shards of glass from getting into his eyes. "I don't see anything that could have caused the damage. No flying vehicles. No missiles."

"You're right about that, Janus," a sobbing Sheila replied. "I remember my father talking about some kind of self-destruct sequence. I never bothered to question it, but he has made a passing mention of it before to the other hunters, mostly as a joke."

"If he cared about you so much, then why would he activate it right now with you still inside?" Itzel asked. 

"I don't know!" Sheila moaned. "I honestly don't know."

"Sheila! Can you hear me?" Mag said over the radio "Please! If you can hear me, say something!" 

Itzel handed the radio over to the sobbing hunter. "What's going on, Father?"

Mag sighed with relief. "Oh, thank goodness you're all right. I knew our audience was desperate, but I didn't think they'd actually go as far to initiate the remote destruction protocol!" 

"What?" Sheila yelped in fear again as a hunk of metal railing crashed into the soft dirt a few yards away. "Why would they do such a thing?"

"I told you why. They're trying to get rid of any and all evidence that the Hunt ever happened. Giving them the access to the protocol was a stipulation. But with how it was discussed, I always assumed it would only be used when we were out of the Eco-Dome."

Itzel snatched the radio out of Sheila's hand. "That's why you have to look at those contracts closely before you read 'em, good sir. Now we're all done for! Including the birthday girl here!"

"I-I can make you a deal," Mag said nervously.

"What is it?" Itzel looked up at the Eco-Dome's ceiling. A single beam dangled by a thin margin, swaying back and forth. "And make it quick. We don't have to be standing her all day!" 

"There are a few emergency escape routes. They'll take you right outside, just like the ones I assumed you've used to get in here. The front door is locked down, I know it. No point in trying to get out the way you came."

The group moved away from the teetering piece of metal in time to watch it snap from the small chunk that kept it suspended. It plummeted to the earth, annihilating the tree that they had just used as protection. "You didn't let Sheila know about them?"

"I assumed she'd be with me the entire time. Not even the other hunters knew about them. But I can give you a rough approximation of where you can find one to use."

"How do we know that you're not lying? Sounds like a desperate man is trying to get his enemies into a trap."

"Because I want you take Sheila with you," Mag said.

"All right. And you said this was a deal. What do you want in return?"

The only sound was the twisting of metal and shattering of glass as all eyes remained focused on the device in Itzel's hand. 

"Gurk."

Itzel shook her head. "No deal, pal. We're all getting out or none of us are."

"Why don't you let him decide? He's more than capable of making his own decisions. Despite our short time together, I think I've learned enough about the 'Big Guy' to know where he stands on the subject." 

"And I do, too. That's exactly why I'm stepping in and saying no before he makes a dumb decision."

"Bodahn. I know you can hear me," Mag said sternly. "Why don't join in on this conversation?"

"What do ya want, ya lunatic?" Bodahn replied.

"Where are you and your new friend at?"

"Why should I tell you?"

"Because. You might be near one of the emergency escapes."

"We're over by the scorched plains. Nothing but burned grass over here."

"Are you sure about that?" Mag said with an aura of smugness in his voice. "I know that place like the back of my hand. And you should too. I'm sure you recall having passed a single large rock, right? Might not have stuck out before, but I'm sure you'll recall it if you thought hard enough."

Another silence ensued among everyone listening in. As they waited for a response, Enidri came running through with Eva wedged between her arm and body. As she and the duckling approached the group, Gurk greeted the swordswoman by putting a finger to his lips and making a deep shush sound.

"Why are you all so quiet when this place is falling apart right above us?" Enidri barked in a loud whisper.

"Mag," Itzel whispered back. "He's got some crazy trick up his sleeve. You heard what he said to Bodahn?"

"Kinda. I was too busy making sure me and the kid didn't get crushed to death!"

"He's making an offer. Letting us go if we leave Gurk behind."

"And you guys trust him?" Enidri said. 

"I don't. But Bodahn seems to. Just waiting to make sure this secret escape is actually what Mag claims it to be and not some trap."

The group waited for a few more moments. Static came from the radio, followed by a muffled voice trying to breakthrough. 

"It... worked... Out by... the desert..." Bodahn's voice said intermittently through the noise.

"Told you," Mag said. "So... how about that deal? I'll tell you where the nearest emergency exit is. All Gurk has to do is stay behind while you escape with Sheila. I want to finish this. One on one."

Itzel pressed her hand on the speaking button, ready to respond, only for Gurk to put one hand on her shoulder. 

"Don't tell me you're actually serious about this, Gurk!" the fighter said with a stomp of her foot. "You really think we're going to leave you behind so Mag can have one last rush of adrenaline for his sick game?"

"But Eva," Gurk said as he pointed to the small child dangling from Enidri's arms. 

"Yeah. What about her? Enidri's done a good job of keeping her safe. With all four of us, it shouldn't be a problem at all." Another long beam of steel came crashing down, this time a few yards behind Itzel as she addressed the others. The ground trembled from the impact, almost sending her tumbling forward. 

"How are we supposed to protect her when this place could collapse on us at any moment?" Janus said. 

"Are you suggesting that Gurk stay behind while everyone else gets to leave this place?" Itzel replied. "Because you shouldn't. We all know Gurk is going to be all for it!"

"You're right," the crocodile stood in front of Itzel, his head angled towards the center of the Eco-Dome. "I'll stay."

"No, you're not!" Itzel tugged on Gurk's arm, only for him to stay in place despite her effort. He looked at Eva as Enidri let her down. The duckling waddled towards him and looked up with open eyes. He patted Eva on the hand before picking her up with both hands and holding her in front of his face. "Stay safe," he said.

Eva chirped before being given to Itzel. "What? Wait a second, Gurk. At least us talk about this a bit more!"

"No time," Gurk said as he ran off to the warped pillar that Mag described earlier. "Tell him," the crocodile said as he turned around one last time before disappearing into the trees.

"Gurk!" Itzel shouted as loud as she could. "Gurk! Get back here now!" Her voice was soon drowned out by the explosions coming from the surrounding area. 

"He's not coming back, Itzel," Janus said with disappointment. "We might as well take Mag up on his offer."

"I'm not leaving without Gurk!" Itzel turned around, tears streaming down her face. "I'm going after him!"

"Wait a second, Itzel!" Janus took hold of the fighter's wrist. He took Evan out of her hands and handed the child to Enidri. "Just... think about it for a second. Gurk wouldn't want you to follow him. And normally I'd agree with you. But we can't leave Eva in this place!"

"Then you and the others go. I'll find Gurk and we'll take on Mag. Together."

"You make up your minds yet?" Mag said over the radio. "The sooner, the better. Not like you've got much time to think."

"Hand me the radio, Itzel," Janus said as he extended one hand. "Let me talk to him."

The fighter reluctantly handed over the device. Her eyes quickly scanned the trees up ahead. As more of the Eco-Dome continued to burst, Itzel sighed. "Fine."

0