Chapter 30: Demonstration Purposes
217 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Janus stared at his screen, watching a blue background slowly pulsate. It had been the same for the past half hour as he and the others traversed the alleys of Rilcoe. Itzel lead the procession while Janus trailed right behind her, making sure to notify her if any blips showed up on the Tracker. Gurk was not too far behind them, carrying Ven on his shoulders. Despite the lack of action, the child still smiled, eagerly scouting out the distance using his elevated vantage point. They'd receive the occasional odd glance from a passerby, only to have Itzel return the sentiment but with more animosity in her gaze.

"I know it's been a bit of a dry period, but I'm positive we'll come across something soon," Itzel said. She stopped walking to take a peek at Janus' screen. "Any luck?"

A small buzz came from his projection. A white line traveled across the radar-like display, revealing a red blip towards the top right. "Is that something?" Janus asked, pointing at the crimson dot.

"That means Essencima isn't too far from here. It's off in that direction." Itzel then pointed towards the right at a gated off parking lot. "Go ahead and turn your Tracker off so you can save on your Concentrate. Now that we got a rough location of where it's hiding, Gurk can sniff it out." Upon hearing his name, Gurk stepped to the front of the group with Ven still on his shoulders. He took a whiff of the air and then began smelling the ground. 

"Are we fighting now?" Ven asked.

"Yeah," Gurk replied.

"So they're nearby, eh?" Itzel asked. Gurk gave her a nod and a thumbs up.

"That way." He looked towards the gated lot up ahead. The gate itself was long and rusted with one of the doors to the entrance crooked and misaligned. Behind it was a mostly vacant parking area in front of an old, dilapidated building. Weeds were growing in between the cracks of the crumbling pavement. The few carriers that were grounded looked as if they had been there for an extended period of time. The building itself had long cracks in it as well, along with a few broken windows.

"Do we know what kind of Essencima we're going up against?" Janus inquired.

"Nope. Only way to see is to actually find them. But going off of experience, it's probably a few Lurkers."

Janus looked up towards Ven who was stilling riding on the crocodile’s shoulders. He was smiling as he stared at the old building with excitement. Gurk continued towards the gate with the child clutching onto the collar of his jacket. Itzel followed behind them until Janus walked up beside her.

"Maybe I was wrong. I was thinking that maybe we'd encounter some Essencima in someplace... safer. Like an empty park. Or a playground. Not a rundown building like this," he said worriedly.

"Oh. Now all of a sudden I'm right? It's almost like I know what I'm talking about!” Itzel said with an annoyed look. “But we're not heading back now when there's Essencima just around the corner. We'll just see what we're up against, alright? If it's Lurkers, then it's training time. If it's something else, then Gurk will take the little guy home. Does that work for you, boss?" 

"I think that'll be fine," Janus said, embarrassed. As he looked ahead, he watched Gurk pull open the rusted gate's door with one hand. With a bit too much force, Gurk accidentally tore the gate's door off by the hinges. He turned around, mumbled 'sorry' before continuing on inside of the empty lot. 

"Wait a minute Gurk!" Janus said, running towards the crocodile. He paused so that Janus and Itzel could catch up. "We have to be careful, alright? Janus asked as he began to catch his breath. "We don't know what's up ahead, so we need to make sure that kid is safe. You keep him on your shoulders and stay in the back. Itzel and I will go scout ahead and try to see what we're up against. Sound like a plan?"

Gurk nodded. 

"Alright. You coming, Itzel?" Janus said to the woman. He had already begun moving closer towards the direction that the tracker had sent them towards earlier. Itzel followed.

"Now you want to take charge? I'm the one with years of Exterminating experience, remember?" 

"Good point," Janus replied. Itzel walked in front of Janus and then brought up her Tracker. After another scan of the area, multiple blips showed up. 

"Looks like we're getting close." Itzel felt an arm tap on her shoulder. She turned her head and saw Janus pointing towards one of the building's windows. 

"I think I see a Lurker in there," he whispered, keeping his finger towards the window. Itzel squinted. A pair of yellow eyes attached to hunched over silhouette drudged through the interior of the building. 

"That's definitely one. You ready, Janus?"

"Now or never," Janus said. He took in a deep breath as he kept himself moving by bending his legs up and down while his body weaved back and forth as if he were dodging attacks. 

"Just follow my lead and you should be fine. If it's just Lurkers in there, you shouldn't really have anything to fear."

"Got it."

With two of her fingers, Itzel whistled and waved her hand so Gurk would follow her. She made her way to the large metal doors that guarded the building's exit. She tugged on the handle, only to have it not budge as she tried to push it in. "I'm going to need some help here, big guy," she said to the crocodile.

Gurk lifted Ven off his shoulders using both hands and slowly lowered him to the ground. All three watched as he walked towards the locked entrance. "Slash!" he shouted in a booming voice. His tail swung around, slamming the entrance wide open as both metal doors crashed into the walls they were fastened too.

"Could've been a bit quieter with that," Itzel said as she stepped in front of the entrance. Several pairs of glowing eyes turned towards her. Even though there were no lights within the building itself, the sun's rays provided enough vision for everyone to see what they were up against. Five Lurkers were scattered about the empty room, now all staring at the newly opened entrance. The room itself was empty. The tiles on the floor were cracked. The roofing was torn as wires from the light fixtures dripped like stalactites. An eerie echo rang through the barren space as the Lurkers hissed while inching forward slowly.

"Alright, Janus. Let's see you take one out," Itzel said. She gave him a pat on the back, pushing him forward a bit so that he now stood inside the room. Janus' eyes jumped between each Lurker as his entire body vibrated with fear. 

"W-what do I do?" Janus stuttered as he made eye contact with the one closest to him. He took a sloppy fighting stance, trembling as he put both of his fists in front of his face. His legs spread far apart and his upper body hunched froward. Itzel shook her head as she watched him tremble from behind.

"Just hit them. Trust me. They only look and sound threatening."

"Maybe you could show me first. I'm more of a visual learner." Janus retreated some more as the Lurkers closed in, only to bump into Itzel.

"Fine. Just one. Let's hope they don't scatter like last time." Stepping past Janus, Itzel walked inside the room. The closest Lurker stared at her, lunging forward with its hind legs to grab her. Unfazed by the creature's approach, Itzel threw a haymaker punch with her right hand, connecting all four of her knuckles into the face of the Lurker. There was a splattering crunch sound as its head jerked away from its body. The Lurker then tumbled onto it's back writing and twitching a bit before becoming motionless. "See? Easy," Itzel said as she kicked the long arm of the lifeless monster to the side. "If you know how to punch and kick, you can take out a Lurker." The rest of the creatures stared at Itzel. They backed away, only to have the walls of the room cut their escape short. 

"I wanna see you fight one!" Ven said to Gurk. He hopped up and down while tugging on the crocodile's arm.

"Later."

"Use your ice powers! Freeze them!"

"That's not too bad of an idea, Gurk," Itzel remarked as she made her way back outside of the room. "Seeing as how Janus here doesn't know the difference between a jab and uppercut, it might best if he went up against a more stationary opponent."

"Alright," the crocodile said. Itzel and Gurk switched spots; Gurk moved into the building while Itzel stayed outside to watch over Ven. As the crocodile approached the creatures inside, Janus turned towards Itzel who had her arms crossed and a look of boredom.

"Just wanted to let you know," Janus said with a quiet voice. "I do know the difference between a jab and uppercut."

She replied with a roll of her eyes.

12