Chapter 36: See You Later, Exterminator
191 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Guilt overcame Janus as he sprinted past the downed man and moved straight towards the battle. He ran to Itzel's side and helped her up with both of her hands. She looked at him with shock. Still clutching her ribs, she turned head towards the edge of the park where everyone was watching the battle from behind the safety of the fence. "Janus?" she said with the little air in her lungs. "Where's Ven?"

"I told him to stay with the other kids while I helped you out."

"You're..." Itzel bent over, almost losing her balance until Janus set her upright. "You're nowhere near competent enough to take on a Tauria! Get out of here! And take that guy with you!" With a wavering hand, she reached towards the motionless man in the middle of the grass.

"You're not in any condition to fight, Itzel."

"I'm just a bit sore. All I need is a minute!" Both watched Gurk wrestle with the Essencima. The creature ran towards the perimeter, slamming its side into the metal, pinning Gurk between its body and the fence.

"I don't think that thing is going to give you a minute," Janus said as he watched the Tauria continue to press his friend into the metal bars. "I may only have one Technique, but I still think the odds are better if I'm helping you two out."

"That just means one more novice that we have to worry about! And you can see how that's already turned out!"

"Fine, I'll go get that guy to safety, but until then—" While continuing to press its weight against Gurk, the Tauria made a sharp turn of its head and focused its attention towards them. It dashed towards them, kicking up dirt and grass as it propelled itself across the empty space that separated it from its targets.

"Split up!" Itzel pushed Janus to the side and took off in the opposite direction. The Tauria's tusks missed both of them, skidding across the park as it pulled itself to a stop by digging its heels into the ground. "You get out of here and take that guy with you!" she said as she pointed towards the still man but keeping her attention on the Essencima. Janus didn't take time to argue; he ran towards the victim as fast he could, only to draw the attention the creature as he sprinted. The creature charged once more, using its legs to launch itself upwards. It dove towards Janus, casting a shadow over him as he watched it soar through the air. With a sudden leap, Janus managed to avoid being crushed by the creature's massive weight. However, with him laying on the ground, the Tauria lowered its head and was able to slip one of its tusks underneath Janus. With a heave of its head, Janus was hoisted into the air and sent flying to the side. He landed on his arm, sending up dirt and grass once he hit the ground.

"I knew this would happen!" Itzel stood upright, shrugged off her pain and dashed towards the creature. Another Advancing Tempest to the Tauria's rear sent it staggering forward. Gurk had made his way to the battle as well, turning his back to the monster so he could use his Special Technique on it.

"Slash!" Gurk's frozen tail whipped across the creature's face, creating a long horizontal gash on its face. The monster buckled back, raising the front half of its body and leaning back on its hind legs as it let out another roar. It angled itself above Janus, getting ready to fall down on top of him. In that moment, timed came to a crawl for the physicist. Without thinking, he got into his low crouch, stretching out his one leg behind the other.

"Ion Tail!" 

Janus shot upwards, his heel connecting with the creature's chin. The sound of the cloud singeing the mushy flesh of the Tauria's face crackled through the air. The Essencima toppled backwards, landing belly up as it kicked its feet up. Janus landed on the ground, properly this time, and watched the creature struggle to upright itself.

"Go for the legs, Gurk!" Itzel shouted. 

The crocodile did another Tail Slash, aiming for one of the exposed legs. The frozen tail shredded into the monster's thigh, making it wail once more. It rolled away from the crocodile, now belly down and on top of the fallen man. There was a squishing sound, like someone trudging through mud, as the Essencima kept its body pressed on top of the downed Exterminator.

"What is that thing doing?" Itzel said as her eyes cut towards the scene. The monster stood upright, and beneath its bubbling and veiny gut, only the man's face and one of his arms were visible, dangling outside of the creature's flesh. Itzel took a step back, revolted by the sight. Janus was stunned, reaching one hand out as if he were extending it for the man to take hold. The creature growled once more before taking off towards the open gate at the far side of the park. 

Serrated Gale!

The projectile hit the creature's side, only making it flinch. It continued on with its dash, fleeing through the fence and bending the bars as it pushed through. Those outside of the gate fled to the side, giving the Tauria plenty of space to continue its sprint. All the while, the arm of the man that it had caught could be seen dangling from underneath its gut. It then made a sharp turn towards the Refinery Sector, not losing a bit of its speed. It vanished into the city, leaving only a trail of terrified Labrissoners in its wake.

A long silence overcame everyone. Once the Tauria disappeared, everyone looked at one another with shock, awe and fear. Janus, Itzel and Gurk all ran out of the fence to meet up with a sobbing Ven. The child ran to Gurk, giving his shin an embrace while the crocodile's massive hand gave him a gentle pat on the back. 

"Are you okay Gurk?" Ven asked. 

"Yeah. You?"

Ven didn't answer. He continued to press into the crocodile's leg. His sobbing became louder as he made a series of rapid gasps.

"What just happened?" Janus said, brushing his hand through his hair. He took in a deep breath as he looked off into the distance where the Tauria ventured towards.

"I have no clue. I have never seen an Essencima... do that." Itzel brushed off some dirt and grass from her shirt. She rubbed her side from she had had taken a slam from the Tauria. There was a red mark where the creature’s tusk had hit her. "Essencima just want to cause chaos and destruction. They don't usually... hoist people off like that." Itzel walked towards Gurk and gave him a pat on his shoulder.

"Are you sure you're fine?" she asked him. He nodded. "Looks like you took a serious hit when you were slammed against that fence."

"Hurt. Not bad."

"How are you doing, Ven?" Itzel looked at the child. He didn't move from the safety of his Gurk's leg. "Hey, Ven. You listening?"

"He's clearly shaken up by the ordeal. I don't think he's in the mood to talk too much right now," Janus said.

"I wish I knew what to say to him. I'm not that good with kids," she whispered towards Janus. 

"Looks like Gurk has it under control. For now at least."

"You... did alright back there," Itzel said with some hesitation. She looked at him, both had dirt scattered across their faces. Despite the compliment, he couldn't muster a smile.

"Yeah. But it wasn't enough."

"Hey," Itzel placed a hand on his shoulder. Janus kept his head down. He took of his glasses and wiped away the smudges on it with the shirt beneath his jacket. "Sometimes that happens. You can't save everyone."

Ref page has Tauria art up! Check it out here.

10