B2 Chapter 9: Aegean Gates
31 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was little fanfare as the procession of wagons approached the gates to the city. The Merlabrian Gates towered overhead at almost forty feet in height, carefully cut limestone blocks glinting in the early morning sun. Numerous blocky towers were set at irregular intervals with soldiers posted and patrolling the upper ramparts.

All this followed the outer gates which the convoy had passed through earlier, those were set fifty feet further from the inner wall and stood at half the height with only third the number of defensive towers. Yet the double layered walls allowed for archers atop the inner walls to fire down upon those outside the outer walls and within the gap. It was an impressive defensive structure, and a marvel of structural engineering.

“The Aegean walls boy. Must be a wonder to you as you’ve only ever seen the inside of that arena. A much more surprising fact is that this entire structure was built in the span of only fifty years! That is how long it took the Archon from three generations prior to construct… Of course, the cost in human lives was much higher.” Niko listened intently as the Scholar explained, his eyes panning the towering structure as their convoy moved towards a more elaborate secondary gate.

“My Lord, how could the Archon accomplish such a task? How many people would it require to be complete such a task? Is there even enough within the city?” The Scholar could not help but smile slightly at the childish interest, it was clear that the boy had a thirst for knowledge, for learning and hearing stories of things unknown. It made for a very dedicated student and quick learner, both of which would be positives in the eyes of House Amyntas.

“Well, to answer your question, war and one’s death is always a highly motivating factor. At that time Merlabria was an independent city-state. It had been beset on all sides by the surrounding city-states and what would be the precursor to what we now know as the Althai Federation. The terrain here and on the island is ideal for holding out in a siege, there are two or three natural springs that provide freshwater into the city. Yet Orlika island was not large enough to house the population of the city, they needed a bulwark against invasion. Thus, the decision to construct what we now know as the Aegean Walls.” The Scholar paused his short history lesson to help ensure the headcount, to make sure that no unknown individuals had slipped within their ranks. Those who were discovered trying to join them as to avoid the tolls or the lines at the main gates were quickly tossed out or pushed away.

“Now where were we?... Oh yes, the Aegean Walls. You see the Archon who built these walls was the first Archon of the city, originally this city like all the other Lyrian cities in the Althai Federation now, were democracies. The male, landowning citizenry had the right to decide the future of the city… Sounds great, on paper. The problem lay in the time, they were at war and were losing territory rapidly. It was the Archon who took power at this time with the assistance of the oppressed poor, foreigners, and slaves, upending the societal structure and creating the dynastic dictatorship we see today.” Caedyrn tossed a small silver coin to a nearby street stall vendor, receiving a pair of gourd-like fruits in return.

“Here have one, they should be fairly fresh, as it’s still early in the morning.” Not waiting for the confused Niko, Caedyrn bit down into the flesh of the fruit. It’s yellowish-green skin was neither soft nor hard, and provided a hint of sourness, which paired well with the semi-sweet and juicy interior.

Seeing the Scholar’s reaction to the item, Niko did not hesitate and decided to follow along. His first bite was cautious, slightly nervous as he did not know what to expect. That reaction lasted for only that first instant, soon enough he had taken his second, third, and finally last bite. Soon there was nothing left, and the boy could do nothing but look down at the barren core in his hands.

“Don’t worry Niko, there are many other things we can purchase from the shops inside the city, much better than the pear you just had. However, I am glad to see that you enjoyed it… but getting back to the main topic. The Archon used his newfound power to force the population to construct the wall, and it was completed quickly. It was just in time too, assisting in deterring the invading armies and providing a haven against outside forces… There was however one big drawback… and that was the animosity of the citizens, people tend not to like losing their place, and the walls could protect the Archon from his enemies outside. It did not do much for the enemies inside his palace though, he did not last long but the ringleaders of the assassination were quickly found and dealt with. All of which resulted in the continuation of the system we have in place today… Long tangent I went on there, I was just trying to tell you story about the walls.” Niko did not appear to mind, even if his body resembled an adult’s, his mind was still open. He had seen only horrors and violence, but the stories of Vishnamitra’s homeland had embedded within him a sense of adventure, and a desire to learn more of the world around him.

“My Lord, it appears that we have some guests.” Maatilani who had remained quietly riding alongside their wagon finally made her presence known. She pointed out a group of soldiers at the gate, they wore better armor and carried superior weapons when compared to the gate guards.

There was one thing that stood out, that was the crest upon their shields, depicting a golden chalice, its handle studded with blue gems. “It would appear that the palace guard has personally come to greet us…. Maati keep close. We do not yet know how deep the rot goes; I would prefer we remain on our toes even if the danger is nowhere near the level of Myrmien.” Maatilani silently nodded her head, bringing her horse in just a little bit closer, the grip on her spear slightly tightening as the guard squadron approached.

As the guard contingent arrived at the lead transport within the convoy, they immediately dropped to a knee. “Guard captain Metiochus, of House Ocealus greets the Grand Scholar, Lord Caedyrn of House Amyntas!” Captain Metiochus bowed in reverence, he did not request the other party dismount, they did not show animosity. Under the captain’s guidance the palace guards showed absolute obedience in the same way they might have shown to the Archon himself.

“You may rise Captain, I respect your show of honor and loyalty… but it is misplaced, I am no longer the chief minister, no longer the Grand Scholar, you have no need to show such respect.” The Scholar motioned for the men to rise, they did so slowly, with only Metiochus stepping forward.

Maatilani moved to raise her spear into his path before she was motioned to stand down. Caedyrn himself stepped down from the driver side of his wagon, handing the reins over to Niko to keep the horses in still.

“It has been a long while child, have you and your family been well? How about your lord, how is Phylacus’s health? and your sister and nephew?” Metiochus was similar in height and build to the man standing before him. His eyes peered directly into the Scholar’s; a hint of tears could be seen along the edges.

Grabbing the Scholar’s left hand Metiochus removed his helmet and placed his forehead upon it, “Benefactor, it is good to finally see you again. All is well thanks to you and the foundation that you had laid for us.” The custom was something he picked up from Vishnamitra during the time he had spent with their group many years ago.

“My sister is fine, Lord Phylacus is a loving husband, if not a busy one. Her son Syagros, he has a sharp mind for a child only eight years old, he takes after his father.” As he said that Metiochus’s eyes seemed to waver, it was clear that something was wrong or worried him.

“It’s fine Metiochus, no need to say more. I presume there was a reason for you to come all the way here to greet us. After all there was really no need for that.” Metiochus removed his restrictive Lurtian helm, allowing the Scholar to finally take notice of the man’s youthful boyish good looks. He had not seemingly aged in the ten years they had been apart, Metiochus still sporting his short curly dark locks. His skin tone was slightly lighter and less tanned than what it once had been.

“I am here my Lord, to provide you and your people an escort past the Orlikan gates. Recent events within the city have required us to tighten the guard, around Orlika island and more specifically the noble quarter. If you would follow me, Lord Phylacus has already arranged for your accommodations during your stay.” Trusting the man’s words, Caedyrn led his convoy through the gates and into the city. With Metiochus’s men leading at the front.

Sorry guys I probably won't be able to get that 3rd chapter to you all tonight, so I hope you will be happy with another double release tomorrow instead. Once that is done the guaranteed four chapters this week will have been delivered.

We will see if I can keep up the chapter a day pace, but I don't have a buffer anymore for my patrons, so essentially, I don't have a buffer. Releases will depend entirely upon my ability to write new chapters, so fingers crossed, I hope I don't hit a roadblock. Now that classes are over for me and I will be on winter holiday after next week from work, there should be plenty of time to write. I'll use that to keep myself motivated.

I hope we'll see an increase in readership once the magic and kingdom building elements within the story kick into high gear. But for now the world building is essential to set the stage, the characters, and the factions.

Hopefully you all are looking forward to it.

Later,

- You all should honestly just expect these shameless requests at this point. Frankly they're simply company policy, this is the Scholar signing off.

As always, think about joining our patreon today! It helps to support future commissions, and allows you access to advance chapters.

Link to the patreon here for your convenience.

Don't forget to join the Discord, it does not cost you anything and I would be happy to chat and discuss questions you might have, discuss characters and scenes. So if you're interested here is the Discord link

Don't forget to please rate or review, reviews are preferred and I appreciate your assistance in improving the story.

2