B2 Chapter 13: Gateway Market
15 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The courtyard of the luxurious villa was something many of those within the convoy would have never been able to experience in their lives. With its wide stone paved paths, vaulted ceilings, private baths, and islands of greenery. An assortment of flowers, fruit trees, and shrubbery added a splash of color to the surroundings. All the while the orange tiled roof contrasted perfectly with the brownish brick wall, all held up by ornate evenly spaced stone columns on the first floor; with additional columns supporting the wooden awnings providing much needed respite from the sun.

Yet the beauty of the residence paled in comparison to the views present on Orlika Island. The roads and stone paved walk paths featured numerous works of art, from marble sculptures to monuments hewn from the island itself. Temples, palatial residences, and beautifully manicured green spaces dotted the landscape, a complete opposite to the area on the other side of the bridge. However, where the mainland side lacked in manicured beauty it made up in life and activity. Across the bridge there was little activity, few people walking the streets, with guards stationed upon every corner.

Upon this island which acted as the heart of the nation, only the rich and the powerful possessed a voice, isolated from the needs of the people that they were meant to serve. This reality was visible to the group of six making their way down the paved roads. At the head of this congregation stood Leucena, her beauty easily attracting the attention of both random passerby’s and the guards stationed at the residences nearby.

Following on either side were her children, Apollonius to her left and Mera to her right, both were dressed in upper class attire, a drastic change from the stained cloaks, and armor they had arrived in. A flowing, loose fitting yellow stola complemented Mera’s growing frame and still somewhat innocent features. Which stood in stark contrast to her mother’s, the dark red fabric accentuated her features, dwarfing all within her presence with an almost royal grandeur. Apollonius although having inherited some of his mother’s beauty, paled in comparison, overshadowed in his light blue toga.

At the rear of this group were Spurius, Paulus, and Niko, those unfortunate to be volunteered by the ecstatic Mera. Dressed in simple white tunics, they were responsible for pulling the handcarts. They had come with two, the bed of the cart was stocked with numerous trade goods and other valuables. The smaller of the two carts held alchemical draughts, mostly Aether for medical use, in addition to various herbal pastes and remedies, as well as the wolf furs taken from the destroyed Myrmiese force.

Spurius and Paulus brought up the rear, the two transporting the larger of the handcarts. Both young men were sweating, staining their tunic as they pulled the cart laden with goods. Unlike Niko’s load, theirs was stocked with the heavier more valuable goods, stolen luxuries pillaged from the bandits, iron weapons produced in the smithies of Temrenos, and tightly packed barrels of Mead from Qarnam.

“Remind me why… we volunteered… for this…job?” Spurius glared at his older brother, struggling to get the words out as the two leaned forward, straining their muscles against the weight. “We both agreed… so stop talking… and keep pushing!” Paulus snapped back at his younger brother, turning his attention back to the road ahead.

Soon enough the group of six found themselves at the area nearest the bridge across to the mainland, this section was walled off from the rest of Orlika island, alongside a small dock from which a handful of ships were being unloaded. Supplies were being hauled back and forth, with several ornate warehouses and buildings lining the roadways. This place acted as the central market for those on either side of the bridge, wealthy merchants, lower and upper nobility, in addition to foreign dignitaries would frequent the many specialty shops and wholesale traders dealing in luxuries marketed to those of the upper classes.

“Just keep quiet and follow along, let me handle the merchants and try not to interfere with the negotiations… Understood?” The rest nodded in agreement, with only Mera and Apollonius doing so reluctantly. “Mother, those men they-” Leucena cut off her son as soon as he had begun to complain.

“Apollonius, this place is not Temrenos. The men here do not often see a woman engaged in this trade. I am fully aware of the leering gazes, do not think me oblivious to the realities we face. However, we have a job to do, and if their distraction assists in ensuring the best deal for Lord Amyntas, then we can only accept that and do our job.” Leucena came to a halt, forcing the others to stop themselves and almost causing the carts to crash into one another.

Leucena barely reached her son’s shoulders, as the woman was just slightly taller than the average woman at around five foot four. Yet the way in which she carried herself and the dominating pressure she exuded made it feel as if she towered above her surroundings. Apollonius shook slightly under his mother’s withering glare, his requests to the other three men fell upon deaf ears, as none wished to involve themselves in the affair.

Grabbing hold of her son’s cheeks she pressed them together and stared directly into his hazel eyes. “I need you to trust me, I feel nothing for any of these men. You and your sister mean the world to me, all these men can use are words and their vulgar advances will not affect me. We have the protection of the Scholar… However, if one of these fools chooses to become physical, then I will rely upon you and your soldiers to protect your sister and I., Okay?” Apollonius looked down at his mother, staring into her emerald-colored eyes and replied with an affirmative nod.

“Good, then let’s get a move on. I would like to be back before Lord Amyntas returns from his meeting with the crown prince later this afternoon. We have to show our worth, and two carts full of needed goods, plus a mountain of gold coins should suffice.” An audible groan could be heard from the three men upon mention of the mountain of gold coins. A groan that was quickly silenced seconds later as the woman leveled a piercing glare in their direction.

Content with her handling of the situation, Leucena turned her back to the five and continued along towards the market street. Apollonius, Mera, Niko, Spurius and Paulus following close behind, an eye-catching group that would result in heads turning without fail. Primarily towards the mother and daughter pair, but there were more than a few gazes that drifted towards the men bringing up the rear of the column.

1