B2 Chapter 52: Renewed Purpose
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Two days had passed since the incident with the false Malakos, even though the Scholar had assured the people that the current man was indeed the original, their wariness continued to persist. This was particularly true when they discussed the aide who had died, it was easy enough to discern the conclusion they had arrived at. Those that Malakos had once been close with, often sharing nights together, were now taking their distance from him. He had become isolated, often remaining at the edges of the camp, staring at the fire with only Maatilani and Gylippos for regular company.

“You are unusually quiet, it’s unnerving really. You were always an incessant, annoying prick, couldn’t stop talking if I had ordered your lips sewn shut… Yet, now, nary a peep.” Caedyrn sat across from the silent, injured, and disheveled man. Malakos was a shadow of his former self, he had lost much weight, looking gaunt rather than lean now, his muscular physique deteriorating slightly after his treatment. Even his normally bubbly and rambunctious personality was nowhere to be seen, a wisp of what he once was.

“What’s the point, there is nothing to be happy about. Everything I had was a lie, I protected myself, my insecurities by acting the way I did… but you already knew that, and that’s what always bothered you… the act itself. What does it matter now, have you come to gloat? Does that somehow fulfill your desire… your need for complete control, for dominance over the rest of us?” What Malakos had said could easily be taken as treasonous at worst, and insubordinate at best. Yet the Lord simply stared at the defeated man, watching him the way an older brother might look at a younger sibling.

“Malakos, my problem with you was that your actions would always risk others. If left alone, that view might have spread to the others, and they would slack, lose focus, and risk everyone… What I wanted from you, what I have always wanted was a modicum of respect. Now you understand what it means to lose something precious to you.” At that Malakos seemed to wake, his eyes glaring across the flickering flames, promising violence should the next words trigger that repressed anger.

Undeterred Caedyrn continued, “You, the other officers, the people of the frontier, the lands in my care, these are all things precious to me. I stand with you all on the front lines, build and invent new methods of production, of medicine, and of war to protect all of you. It is why I am so strict, why I demand order, because every life is weighed upon my shoulders… should I fail, it is more than my life which is at risk… Do you understand that now?” After absorbing the Scholar’s words, Malakos seemed to visibly deflate, the anger and hatred that had been sustaining him having dissipated. He held his head in his hands, looking at the soft skin, and remembering the many calluses which decorated Maatilani’s hands. Even now she practiced with her spear, often hunting beast deep in the forest with the three direwolf pups.

He had survived the assassination attempt, had avoided dying at the hands of the monster, yet would Maatilani ever be in a similar situation. Even the new boy, Niko, along with the other younger members and a maimed Timeaus had taken on a similar creature. Caedyrn could see the look of consternation on Malakos’s face, the fire reflecting the ongoing internal monologue. Holding a finger to his lips he preemptively stopped Maatilani from interfering as she returned from her practice, by her side was the thin Gylippos, his body barely holding up after his first day of training. While both Niko and Mera had no choice but to go and continue their studies, with Niko having made considerable progress in his reading and writing, yet still only at the level of a child ten years his junior.

“You’re right. I haven’t been doing anything with myself, my bonds with others are flimsy at best. While I may have some ability to lead, it is nothing when compared to those truly great leaders like yourself. I have allowed my abilities to decay, remaining content in my mediocrity, while giving in to the pleasures of the flesh… as first I was angry that the creature escaped. But know… I am happy… I want to kill it… on my own. To train and grow strong enough to achieve my revenge without anyone else’s assistance… I am fine on my own.” This last part he mumbled to himself quietly, yet it wasn’t enough to evade the notice of the man across from him.

“It’s good to have a purpose, revenge is as good as any… and there is no better place to receive the proper training. All your problems can be fixed if only you possess the motivation, and the will to achieve it… But you are incorrect on one very major point… you aren’t alone. Open your eyes and look around.” Malakos raised his head, removing his hands and finally noticing the small crowd around him. These were his friends, his family, those that would remain at his side.

“We are here to help you, and we won’t abandon you. Also, you shouldn’t take the other’s reactions to heart. It is not you they are afraid of, but the creature they witnessed that day. Ostracizing you is the only method of resistance they know, I have told them, but it takes time for most to adapt to changing realities. They will come around in time… but for now you should focus on training. Hold on to those emotions and those desires, one day you will achieve them, but you remain focused.” Just as Caedyrn was finishing up his talk, word arrived from one of the lookouts atop the clifftop. A light had been spotted in the distance, a light atop the ocean, and it was a green color.

“It would seem our ride arrived a bit later than I expected, but luckily we haven’t had to wait long. We will probably be setting out first thing tomorrow morning, but we should at least get the goods ready to move… Can I rely on you for that task soldier?” Caedyrn turned his gaze toward the now standing Malakos.

Rather than responding with a lackadaisical smile or affirmation, he instead offered a crisp salute. His eyes unwavering, and his voice clear as he gathered up those tasked with the logistics work. Gylippos was also dragged along, his cries and lanky frame easy to notice within the crowd.

“Thank you for your words my Lord. I am glad to see the light in his eyes once again.” Maatilani stared straight ahead, her gaze on the one she considered a little brother.

“No need to thank me, if I didn’t, I’m sure someone else might have. Someone who may have spent the last day or two scribbling her speech while no one was watching. I’m sure it would have been fine.” Caedyrn held up a small crumpled up note as he smiled at the tall muscular woman, the darkening shade of crimson upon her cheeks only solidifying the truth.

“Come now, we don’t time to waste. Let’s also give a helping hand or two… shall we?” Maatilani nodded quickly and then ran off into the crowd, while Caedyrn couldn’t help but laugh and follow suit at a more leisurely pace.

Maybe this will be a turning point for Malakos, a way to get his head in the game. Give up on hedonistic pleasures and focus on the mission.

Everybody has their pros and cons, Malakos was too playful, took too many liberties and it exposed him and those around him to danger. His mother wasn't his fault, that likely was bound to happen in any case, or its possible it wouldn't have been had he not been marked as a prime target. Who knows, in either case what happened, happened, and our boy is definitely a little bit more of a tortured soul.

We will see if he can overcome it, but at least he will have some more support this time around.

Like always I hope you enjoyed the chapter. Tell me what you think about the character building thus far. Book 1 was all about the world building, whereas Book 2 is more about building up our characters, their interactions and a whole hell of a lot of combat.

See you next week.

1