B2 Chapter 54: Being Human
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Violent chirping and the rustling of thick underbrush reverberated through the air, with the darkness of the forest canopy restricting sight of the struggle. As a northerly breeze blew south from the sea it brushed away the clouds allowing the light of both moons to cast their light upon the land below. Within that thick dense forest, a rainbow swallowtail lay still, its vibrantly colored plumage encompassed in thick thorny vines, a fat, putrid smelling flower digging beneath the surface of the skin, into the exposed chest cavity.

The mass of vines slowly began to absorb the aerial predator, the creature having mistaken the monster for its common serpentine prey. With the adaptable wodhling quickly incorporating the new shape, molding itself into its avian prey and reforming itself. By not consuming her prey, the severely weakened Rafflesia began to strut around in this new body, becoming used to it and housing her core safely inside.

This former beast would serve as much needed transportation, while its senses would allow her to sense the traces of dark magic once again, her target the slight wisps of power she had detected upon the sea further south. Understanding that time was short and the danger her core was currently in, her power would be a beacon for simple magic tainted beasts which would be happily consume her essence for their own growth. She would need a new host body, a form fitting to mold into a new frame in which to protect her core. Currently her years of accumulated essence had been expended in producing this single bud, the only reason she had been able to avoid almost certain destruction.

Hatred was all that the now frail Rafflesia exuded, her talons digging into the dirt below, desiring nothing more than to tear the wretched traitor to pieces. Yet within her eyes was a hint of greed, a desire to consume the pure essence of a Magarch, something impossible for a creature such as her, yet now a rogue had been identified. Theoretically if a creature like her was to absorb such an essence she could evolve beyond her instinctual need for human flesh, allowing her to form a new frame one closer to the flesh and blood of a true human, not the poor mimicry and magical glamour she was forced to employ currently.

With eyes focused on the south, the newly transformed swallowtail took its first steps, rigid at first it began to modify its movements. It’s thin legs slowly correcting the mistakes, the roots entwining its legs assisting until finally it began to run. With wings stretched the swallowtail was able to catch the wind, seconds later its wings were flapping up and down pushing it through the trees and high into the dark skies above. The illumination from both moons disappearing just as the malevolent creature disappeared into the thick clouds hovering overhead, its destination set.

_______________

Long triangular sheets of thick white billowed out, propelling the vessel forward faster than any those on board had ever seen. The Sawtooth’s prow slicing through the calm azure waves like a fish, rather than floating above the surface, a portion of the hull lay underneath the waves, yet remained secure against the seas pressing in from all sides. Four days had passed aboard the vessel, and yet the guests and even some of the crew appeared awestruck by its shape, speed, and space.

Unlike a war galley, the space below deck was not taken cluttered by rows upon rows of oar decks, leaving more room for cargo and cabins below deck. This modification to the ships design allowed for the vessel to act as a proficient blockade runner, easily outmaneuvering galleys and bulkier merchant vessels. The design of the sails added to the overall speed, as the triangular lateen sails allowed for the ship to capture the wind much more efficiently, powering its forward momentum.

All three sails were affixed to separate crossbars, each of varying sizes and positioned at the center, front, and rear of the ship. The sail extending above the mast, and down almost to the deck, its corners extending over the side of the vessel, allowing it to tack against the wind. This allowed it to capture the wind on either side, making the ship capable of tight maneuvers far exceeding those of triremes, biremes, or even the smaller class of penteconters. The Sawtooth was the first in the new class of Xebeck’s, a short expeditionary ocean faring vessel, spoken of in whispers by the northern pirates, a ghost ship cloaked in darkness and flames, leaving naught but death and destruction in its wake.

“Sis, I haven’t been on a ship in a long time, but even I can tell that this one is different… It’s so fast, did teacher really design this? And are more really being built? With a fleet of these we would not need to fear anyone, capable of raiding coasts and disappearing back into the night before anyone would ever notice!” Mera spoke, her excitement rising in her tone and pitch as she waltzed across the deck. Her hand running along the railing, pressing against the polished wooden frame, while her eyes explored the deck and the endless stretch of blue beyond.

The sun was beating down, warming their bodies, counteracting the spray from the ocean and cold northerly winds blowing south. Yet Cauaria stuck close to the little girl in her lap, Ianna pressed into her chest, the heat from their bodies further warming their bodies against the intensifying winds. “Mera, you really should sit down. You’re not used to a ship, and I do not want to have to fish you out of the sea, believe me it’s a real pain… Can you come over here and help me out? Ianna is cold…” It was clear that the older fiery haired woman wanted the two to sandwich the younger girl between them.

“Let me ride Gulgul and we have a deal.” Gulgul was currently resting below deck in the hold, at first a large portion of the traveler’s had been terrified of the enormous beast. Yet after a day or two, with the big baby showcasing his friendly nature, many of the younger children had taken to using the creature as a form of shelter against the cold, as well as a place to play. Often, he lay there lazily, allowing the toddlers to crawl atop and roll down his sides, with the big lunkhead receiving numerous smuggled treats in return.

“Fine… I’ll let you ride Gulgul once we reach Hegesistra. It’ll be his first time somewhere new as well, so he may be a bit inquisitive… just don’t let him stray too far and cause problems. If we have a deal, then get over here… Ianna is freezing.” Ianna silently shook her head from side to side, indicating that Cauaria was overexaggerating and that she was fine. Yet soon enough she found herself trapped between the two older girls, relaxing in their warm embrace, her eyes flickering in and out of consciousness as she drifted into sleep.

“You know my brother would kill me for this position, he literally would… Do you really have no interest? I mean I would love to call you sister and be correct… He is a bit overly cautious, sometimes he can be stupid, but he’s not bad. You could do much worse.” Cauaria stretched her neck and pressed her forehead against Mera’s.

“Sorry, but I’m just not interested. You sound like my father sometimes you know, but your personality is a tad bit more vindictive. You just want to get your brother’s hopes up and watch what happens when I shoot him down… Do you think I haven’t caught onto your ways after all this time?” Cauaria slightly tapped their heads together, a wide toothy grin stretching across her face as she stared at the other girl, an equally wide smile framing her picturesque face.

“And here I thought we had been apart for so long that you would have forgotten… Too bad, it would have been fun picking on my brother, but I guess I’ll just have to find someone else.” Mera rolled her eyes, feigning disappointment, but it was clear that she didn’t mind, the two chuckling together in their own little world.

“You say that Mera, but what about the new addition… The tall, dark, and muscled gladiator, hmmm. What was his name… Niko? The two of you have gotten pretty close, I’m sure the late-night study sessions help.” Cauaria thrust her head forward and gave the stuttering Mera a kiss on the cheek, laughing at her reaction as it was rare to see the girl at a loss for words.

“Stop… geez… Are you looking to take my job now? And besides we’re just friends…” Cauaria stopped laughing as she watched Mera’s face go from playful and filled with mirth to sullen in an instant. Recognizing the change, she rapidly tamped down on her laughing and asked what was wrong. Knowing that Mera was quick to explode, sometimes certain things could trigger her, and she would often regret her response and actions later.

“What happened is what always happens sis… I lost control. He’s not a bad guy, he wasn’t trying to be chauvinistic, he just didn’t know anything better. I didn’t know his past, most enter the pits when they have already adults, captured in war… I assumed he was the same, that his attitude was the same as all the rest. How was I to know that he was a caged bird, raised like a beast to fight and kill, only ever knowing that one thing…” Mera tightened her grip on the older woman, squeezing harder and hiding her face in the snoring Ianna’s hair. Yet Cauaria caught the sound of sniffles and the tear drops forming in the corners of her eyes.

“I lashed out! And I can’t forgive myself for that… he never brings it up and I don’t know how to approach the subject. We’ve been ignoring it, but it weighs heavy on me, like shackles holding me back… I can’t even be honest with him, and the guilt is eating me up inside. I didn’t know anything, and he apologized first, and I poisoned him by accident, playing it off as a prank like an idiot… He caught me so off guard I forgot that the water was spiked. Uhhh!” Tears were streaming down the girl’s face, staining the collar of her dress. She was beating herself up over this and had yet to forget the incident between her and Niko that had occurred weeks ago.

Cauaria tried to put on her best calming motherly voice, reaching over and running her fingers through Mera’s hair, mimicking the actions her late mother would always do to help calm her. It always helped with the nightmares, the memories of the incident that led to her avoidance of men, that shattered the fairy tale images she had held as a little girl. It had an almost immediate effect as the younger girl’s cries slowed, shallow breaths could be heard as she attempted to contain the sounds of her crying.

“Listen, we all make mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes end in catastrophe, and you can never take them back… I would know, the number of mistakes I have made matches up with every scar on my body and every home without a father, mother, brother, sister, son, or daughter. You need to accept your weaknesses, your failures, learn from them. Right now, this is a mistake you can fix, a bond you can repair… Don’t waste this chance, grow from it, do better and improve yourself. But don’t wait and let it pass, otherwise you will regret it forever…” As Cauaria said that last part she couldn’t help but stare off into the distance in the direction of her home. Her gaze drifting down towards her outstretched hand, toward the white mark on her wrist, a scar from long ago.

“Hello sisters, what are you doing? That looks comfy, can I join too?” standing just outside their little circle was the young Atia, a stuffed rabbit held tight in her hands. The girl had been distraught at first upon learning the fate of her mother but had quickly latched onto Leucena who took her under her wing without hesitation.

As Leucena had put it, this young girl’s quick thinking had been instrumental in their escape from the Taurean compound. Many more would have died had she not swiped the keys when she did, and Leucena had said that she reminded her of Mera when she was a child. With the Scholar not caring one way or the other, the girl was quickly accepted into the fold, younger sibling of both Mera and Apollonius.

Mera raised her head, wiping away the tears and beckoning the little girl forward. With both older women not hesitating to add the confused Atia into their little bundle of warmth. However, before all four could get comfortable again the bell began to ring, its warning reverberating across and below deck. Ianna waking from her comfortable nap and wiping her drool off against Cauaria’s chest, while the others paid no attention, their focus on the sea around them and the sailors currently moving about the deck ushering the travelers into the lower holds.

“All hands prepare for combat! Enemy spotted off the port and starboard quarter!” Vexariz who was at the helm ordered the men and women into position.

They would continue to hug the Rustikan coast as they traveled south, hoping to lose the two vessels trailing them. Yet the risk was ever present and both he and the Scholar erred on the side of caution, even if they did not wish to risk the lives of the many civilians on board. Sabina was the first to rush above deck at the Scholar’s side, a group of sailors at their back lugging numerous crates while a wide smile painted the forgemaster’s tanned features. It was clear that she was hoping for the pirates to catch, itching at the opportunity to see her creations at work.

Hey everyone,

So we get some insight into what our old friend Rafflesia has been up to, not exactly the happiest person in the world at the moment.

But the main focus of this chapter is clear, its girl time between Cauaria and Mera, with Ianna just caught in the middle. I'm sure we all remember Mera's little outburst with Niko, well I'm sure many of you can relate with the sentiment expressed in their conversation. Sometimes past traumas leave a person with certain triggers, sometime they can't help but lash out when someone says something in just the right way. More instinctual really.

Clearly we see that Mera here has not forgotten, and the more time she spends tutoring Niko the more that guilt eats away, even if he has forgiven her and they kinda swept it under the rug, she hasn't forgiven herself. And as some people can attest, its not exactly easy to admit when you're wrong, and saying sorry is really difficult, shameful almost.

So here we see Mera working through some things, luckily Cauaria takes on that big sister role, leading her along and providing some words of wisdom to help pave the way.

Personally, I really liked writing this. It hints a little more at Mera's past, possibly a reason for her unhinged personality, probably a little bit of an inferiority complex sprinkled in there, that she has to work through. She's not perfect, but she is showing that she wants to improve, just like any normal person. Niko is imperfect because he's a doormat, he has stunted emotions and lacks the societal know how, which is natural seeing as how he grew up as a slave in a cage, following orders and knowing nothing but combat and death. He's showing improvement, asking questions, realizing right and wrong, but its all things he's going to have to pick up.

Anyway, I know this has become long winded, and I'll end it here. I guess it bothered me a bit that people hated Mera so much, like she was some kind of horrible person the way she treated Niko in Book 1. It's true that wasn't the correct action, but it isn't unrealistic, and as I said, people are flawed, there are reasons they do what they do.

Hopefully you all enjoy the chapter, let me know what you think. I really would like to know your thoughts on the exchange in this chapter... Is it relatable? Could you see a couple of people having a conversation like this?

1