Chapter 3: The idiot
327 6 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'If there's one thing this life has in common with my past life, it's that I'm still forced to do seiza when I piss my mother off.'

"You three! Didn't I tell you to stay away from the forest?" (Mother)

"B-but it was neither mine nor Vier's fault!" (Riel)

"I-it was Nii-san's fault..." (Vier)

"Oho... Is that true, Weiss-kun?" (Mother)

"N-no, Ma'am! Those two were the ones who ran into the forest! They took off while I wasn't looking and I had to go and find them!" (Weiss)

"You're lying! Nii-san was the one who dragged us into the forest cause he was bored!" (Vier)

"Y-yeah. Weiss-nii was the one who went 'It's such a pain watching over you two', 'To make up for wasting my time, let's go to the forest', and 'That hag told you not to go? Bah! Who cares? Not like that hag can do anything to me!' and so on." (Riel)

"What!!! That's not what I said–" (Weiss)

"My my, Weiss-kun~ Seems like someone needs a bit of discipline~" (Mother)

"N-NOOOOOOOOO!!!" (Weiss)

'Now, you might be wondering what the hell happened. Well, it's a funny story.'


*Knock knock*

"Oh my, if it isn't Riel-kun. Are you here to play with Vier?"

"Yeah, Veronica obasan!" (Riel)

"Vier! Riel's here to play!" (Veronica)

'Veronica obasan is the village chief's wife. I don't remember her age, but considering she has 5 children, she should be somewhat old yet she still looks pretty young. Oh, and just so you know, she's technically my first love in this life. Well, I got over her after a few weeks of depression after finding out she was married. Anyways, she and Daniel-san, the village chief and her husband, have five children. Their first and second sons are in the capital with jobs. They come back every now and then, but I've barely spoken to them. Their first daughter, Maria-san, still lives in the village but lives with her husband. By the way, Maria-san was my second love, whom I got over after a few weeks of depression after finding out she was married. The only ones who live together with them are the fourth and fifth sons. Weiss-nii, their fourth son, is a few months older than Nee-chan. And just like most of the guys around Nee-chan's age, he has a crush on her.

Vier, their fifth son, is the only kid in the village who's around my age, and my best friend. He's about three months younger than me. We met for the first time when we were three. It was when Mother decided to bring me along when she visited the chief's house. When I first met Vier, he was shyly hiding behind Veronica-san's leg. I, who thought he was such a cute kid, went over and spoke to him. Ever since then, we became best friends.'

"H-hey Riel." (Vier)

"Come on Vier! Let's go!" (Riel)

"O-okay!" (Vier)

"Weiss! Go watch over Riel-kun and Vier!" (Veronica)

Weiss-nii is Vier's older brother. He's around the same age as Nee-chan and along with the other boys her age, has a crush on her. Since Vier and I are still young, we aren't allowed to play without supervision. As for who watches over us, it's anyone who is free. Sometimes it's mother, sometimes it's Veronica obasan, sometimes it's Nee-chan, sometimes it's Weiss-nii. 

"Huh?! Why do I have to keep watching over them–Ouch! Why'd you hit me?" (Weiss)

"That's for talking back to me." (Veronica)

"But mom!" (Weiss)

"No buts. Plus, it's not like you have anything to do anyway. You do nothing but laze around the house." (Veronica)

"But watching over these two kids is so boring!" (Weiss)

"The decision is final! You're going with them whether you like it or not. Also, I don't see you complaining when Leila-chan's with them. In fact, you still tag along even when nobody asked you to." (Veronica)

"Mom–Ouch!" (Weiss)

"You want to get hit again?" (Veronica)

"No..." (Weiss)

"Good. Well, now that that's settled, have fun boys!" (Veronica)

"Bye, mom." (Vier)

"Bye-bye, Veronica obasan!" (Riel)

"Sigh..." (Weiss)

"Oh, and before you go, don't forget that you boys aren't allowed to go in the forest! Reina still hasn't done her monthly culling!" (Veronica)

"Got it!" (Riel)

Once a month, Mother goes on a hunting spree in the forest. This is because our village has a deal with a merchant where the merchant has exclusive rights to sell the stuff that Mother hunts at a high price. The reason for the hunting spree is because that merchant only passes by once a month therefore Mother goes on a hunting spree two days before the merchant arrives. The processing lies on the merchant so it's a pretty good deal for us. As for why we call it a culling, it's because that term fits what actually goes on as opposed to hunting. 

The monthly culling is only three days away which means that there's a good chance to encounter wolves and such at this time. This means that we aren't allowed to be anywhere near the forest which kind of sucks considering the forest is a pretty cool place to hang out. And honestly, hanging out with Vier isn't the most enjoyable time. Don't get me wrong, I very much love teasing Vier and seeing his cute reactions but as a (former) teenager from the modern era where one could find entertainment in the comfort of their own bed, spending time with a kid again and again in this no-electricity world can get pretty tiring. Sure I could hang out with Weiss-nii, but he treats me like a kid and refuses to take me seriously. Well, honestly I'm glad it's like that cause hanging out with him might be even more boring. He isn't cute at all and seems pretty boring and lame.

"Oi, you two. Let's go to the forest." (Weiss)

'Oho~' (Riel)

"B-but, we aren't allowed there." (Vier)

"Yeah, won't our parents get mad at us?" (Riel)

"That's if we don't get caught." (Vier)

"B-but–" (Vier)

"'B-but' Shut up you wuss. You guys are wasting my time so this is the least you could do for me, right?" (Weiss)

"(monotone) Sigh, fine. I guess we have no choice then. Well, come on Vier, we're going to the forest I guess." (Riel)

"R-riel!" (Vier)

"(whispers) Vier, we don't have any choice here. If Weiss-nii gets upset, he'll head back home and we don't get to play, and you don't want that now, don't you?" (Riel)

"(whispers) But they said we aren't allowed to go there!" (Vier)

"(whispers) Think about Weiss-nii, he spends his (not so)valuable time to watch over us. This is the least we can do for him. You want to be a good little brother, right?" (Riel)

"(whispers) Y-yeah." (Vier)

"(whispers) Then, let's go." (Riel)

After 30 minutes of sneaking our way to the forest to avoid being detected, we made it to the entrance.

"Weiss-nii, let's just stop here." (Riel)

"Huh? You've gotta be kidding me, right? There's like nothing around here." (Weiss)

"Well, that's the point. There aren't any wolves here. Plus, it isn't like there isn't anything here. The sweet fruit trees are here." (Riel)

"You've gotta be kidding me. You came here, just for the trees? Why did I expect something from a kid? Y'know when you agreed with me, I thought we could be friends, but I guess you're just some dumb brat." (Weiss)

"And you're telling me that there aren't any wolves in there?" (Riel)

"Ha? Who said there aren't gonna be any wolves there? Riel, I'm not an idiot." (Weiss)

"Then, what's your plan?" (Riel)

"Easy, I can just beat them." (Weiss)

'Oh my fucking god, you're a fucking idiot.' (Riel)

'Nii-san... You're an idiot.' (Vier)

"Look, your mom can slaughter wolves like it's nothing, and she's a girl. I, just like my dad, am a boy. And dad told me that boys are stronger than girls so we should protect them. Therefore, I can easily hunt all the wolves whenever I want to. Aren't I a genius?" (Weiss)

'Dear God, you're an idiot.' (Riel)

'Nii-san, please stop being an idiot.' (Vier)

"Anyways, smell ya later!" (Weiss)

After dropping what one could say is a reference, Weiss-nii–no, the idiot dashes away into the forest leaving us behind. 

"Riel." (Vier)

"Say no more." (Riel)

We follow the idiot into the forest.

 

 

15